The Boondocks : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4
8.8

1. vh
    Nov 13, 2005
    There is some decent style to this show, but it tries too hard and too often to be shocking.
  2. louisf
    Nov 7, 2005
    not very funny...not very clever. i'm sure it was better on paper than on-screen. the design work, on the other hand, is superior, but that's just top-of-the-line lipstick on a really ugly pig.
  3. Alex
    Aug 21, 2008
    There's little to say about The Boondocks that hasn't been said before; it is incredibly controversial and at times, incredibly humorous. The biggest problem with this show is that while it does have its shining moments of brilliance, it always ends up falling short of what it should be simply because there isn't enough screen time for humor in between all the political and There's little to say about The Boondocks that hasn't been said before; it is incredibly controversial and at times, incredibly humorous. The biggest problem with this show is that while it does have its shining moments of brilliance, it always ends up falling short of what it should be simply because there isn't enough screen time for humor in between all the political and social rhetoric of it's creator. We get it Aaron, you don't particularly care for mainstream black culture- you don't need to make every episode based around a prominent figure in black culture or a parody of one. The redundancy and overall absence of humor doesn't help this show at all, and it's really a shame because it has so much potential. I'll end this on a good note though; Aaron McGruder is clearly an incredibly insightful man who has a very strong message to send to people black, white and every shade in between. And while he does make some seriously good points through the exploits of Huey and co., he seriously needs to make the show more appealing by making it much more humorous than it currently is. Most of the writing ends up being very sophomoric, though maybe that is the fault of the writers and production crew. What could make this show nothing short of brilliant is simply better writing, akin to the late works of Bill Watterson. Season 3 is just around the corner, so hopefully we'll see some improvement. Expand
  4. Eric
    Mar 22, 2006
    I'd give this show a 0 if it weren't for the social satire. I was hoping that this show would be as funny as his comic strip it's based on, but the voices just ruin everything.
  5. Jan 25, 2015
    Tried to like it but some characters and plots are so annoying that i just can't. Definitely not for everyone. Some may like it though. Give it a shoot and judge urself.
  6. Dec 28, 2016
    Bondocks set out to criticize black American culture, and it instead degraded into **** jokes, effectively becoming a hypocritical caricature of itself.
    Season 1 is pretty good; it's funny, interesting and has a strange melancholy coupled with legit critiques that go ignored to this date, the latter was the biggest selling point to me.
    The thing is the biggest selling point for most
    The thing is the biggest selling point for most people were jokes li- Pardon me, """jokes""" like **** you gay" (which is said multiple times in every episode from season 2 and beyond, so funny after the 20th time right?) which the writers clearly took notice, and in season 2 they immediately degraded their original vision in favor of $CASH$ $MONEY$.
    If you look up sell-out on the dictionary, you see a picture of Huey doing coke with the show's writers; well, not really but you SHOULD, it would be more accurate.

I don't know what's with all these idiot users thinking this show deserves a flawless 10/10 rating, but worse are these moron "critics" that barely go in depth if AT ALL, and seem to have missed the point of the show, so did the users but they're not pretending to be professional critics.

Season 1 is definitely good, I recommend to anybody with a brain that doesn't have a problem with "black" humor or can at least see past that (In season 1 it's mostly satirical, season 2 and beyond they start doing **** jokes for the sake of saying **** as much times as possible to appeal to their retarded audience) I'm thorn between a 6/10 or 7/10, but for the sake of reducing this RIDICULOUS 8.8 rating, I'll have to stick to 6.
    I rate all seasons beyond 1 as ****

1. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Animation has rarely felt so explosively, hilariously defiant.
  2. An out-of-the-gate triumph.
  3. "The Boondocks," with all its knowingly controversial observations and language, is a sort of animated equivalent of "All in the Family." It'll make you think, and maybe even wince - but at the same time, it makes you smile.