• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 9, 2011
  • Season #: 1
6.5

1. Jan 9, 2011
    I agree with Miknificant. The casting is alright. But everything else struggles. If it's serious (with the occasional joke) then it's got problems. If it's deliberately being cheesy, then I guess it's not for me. Didn't need to be 2 hours though.
  2. Feb 23, 2011
    I don't know how many eye rolls I had while watching this, but it was a lot. I mean really? We are suppose to take a show like this seriously? If you're going to spend all of this money on a show like this, make sure you set aside a decent chunk of it towards thinks like a script with some real dialog, actors that can do more than read the script, and a story line that's fun and interesting. What a complete waste of time. Expand
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    I really, really wanted to like this show. I love everything about comics and superheroes, so I was excited to see a new show of this sort coming out. Until I watched it. I don't have a problem with the acting (though I did notice David Lyon's Australian accent a couple of times) it's the writing I take issue with. It's sloppy, the pace is off, and, well...it's bad. It's cliche, it's predictable, and it's derivative which I know this genre can be, but The Cape just does it in the worst possible way. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2011
    Still deciding if the producers of the show are intending it to be as cheesy as it is, or if it's just terrible. The only good part about this show so far is the cast.
  5. Jan 9, 2011
    Too convoluted and cliche in the first episode. The best way to describe this show comes in the form of lines from said episode. Store Clerk, "What do they call you?"
    The Cape,"The Cape."
    Clerk, "The Cape? Well You'll work on it."

Work on it indeed, that is, of course, if it doesn't get pulled from the air first.
  6. KDC
    Jan 10, 2011
    The Cape seems a bit corny and cliche. The show sort of like Robocop meets "Dark Angel" plus a little of Heroes season 4 (maybe even a sprinkle of "Spawn") - except in regards to the "Dark Angel" aspect, the roles of the hero and cyber-geek character are reversed.
  7. Jan 11, 2011
    Dull and disappointing. I love superhero films, TV shows, books, etc. I very much wanted to like this one. But its strongest feature is its reliance on cliches (triggering flashbacks to shows where such classic lines were delivered well). The unfortunate effect of this is that you then remember how much better those shows were than the one you are watching. If the creators are simply trying to spoof the superhero genre that's a fine plan in theory, but they still need to be organized in order to pull it off. And I think they are really trying to be taken seriously. If true, that is very sad. This show bounces around like crazy, with no support or set-up for key lines or events. When lines are delivered (or a 'significant event' occurs), they end up being forgettable or annoying, rather than entertaining, because they are so poorly executed. I'll read the reviews of the next installment before potentially wasting an hour watching it. Expand
  8. Jan 16, 2011
    Fell asleep during my first watching of the pilot. Had to start it over when I woke up, and it was torturous to get through. I know you should always give new shows a few episodes before you really judge, and I might tune in again mid season (if it isn't canceled) but for right now I could not, in good conscience, give it a higher rating than this.
  9. Feb 6, 2011
    Ugh, painfully bad. I want to like this show, but I can't because its chock-full of cliches, annoying characters, and horrendous writing. Ex: mysterious rich pretty girl? come one Ex: Tripp makes me want to punch him in the face
    Ex: Midgets, seriously?
    Ex: Ark nicely fills the "Corporation-with-a-hidden-agenda" spot
    The lack of creativity in the characters and in the whole show is an
    appalling squandering of what this show could have been. Expand
  10. Feb 7, 2011
    I was so excited to hear about a new Superhero TV show until I watched it!

The show felt like a quick Heroes replacement. The acting is not bad but it's not brilliant, the visual effects are what you would expect from a television show of this sort.

The pacing of the show is awful, they jumped into it way to quickly. As for the actual character that is The Cape is far to like Nolan's
    version of Batman something they have carried through with some of the shots in the show.

I have no real opinion on The Cape's costume but his villain's outfit is far from fantastic, it has to be the worst outfit I have seen. Plus Vinnie Jones is not a very good actor especially a superhero's villain!
  11. Feb 23, 2011
    This show is down right laughable. The story is awful. The acting is mediocre. It's just plan out not fun to watch and with a show premise like the one from The Cape, you need it to be fun before it is anything else.
  12. Aug 25, 2012
    This show is a joke. I wanted to love it but it fell apart. The pilot was decent but the show just got worse and worse. The enemies were laughable and the heroes were dry. In the end, this show was just a massive dissapointment.
  13. Mar 27, 2014
    Minus 3 for originality. It is pretty much a combination of batman and the the Green Arrow, except has a crap back story. Minus another but for the awful, awful costuming and story-line. Good for five year-old who dream of smashing people's face in. Not worth watching.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 11, 2011
    Every time he flaps into view in his baggy hoodedness, he looks like Batman in need of a tailor. [17 Jan 2011, p.40]
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jan 11, 2011
    The source of the show's downfall is more basic: It rushes through everything, pulverizing potentially engaging characters and story until the whole production starts to feel like a long trailer for itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Jan 10, 2011
    It's a series that looks like a whole bunch of cooks decided to build the most creatively awesome and different kitchen imaginable, forgetting for a moment that none of them can really cook.