• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 9, 2011
  • Season #: 1
6.5

1. Mar 27, 2014
    Minus 3 for originality. It is pretty much a combination of batman and the the Green Arrow, except has a crap back story. Minus another but for the awful, awful costuming and story-line. Good for five year-old who dream of smashing people's face in. Not worth watching.
  2. Sep 8, 2012
    I don't know why this show has gotten such bad ratings. I think it's a great show. Good acting, great comic book style story, some very unique ideas and engaging, semi realistic action makes this a must see. Disappointing that it got cancelled. Also, this show is NOTHING like heroes and it isn't trying to be! So stop saying that people! If you think it is then you obviously haven't seen heroes.
  3. Aug 25, 2012
    This show is a joke. I wanted to love it but it fell apart. The pilot was decent but the show just got worse and worse. The enemies were laughable and the heroes were dry. In the end, this show was just a massive dissapointment.
  4. Feb 17, 2012
    Watching this show feels like reading a comic book, and that's the highest compliment I believe that you can give a super hero TV show or movie, it's got humor, action, a some of the most likable characters that have ever graced the TV, sometimes the writing can feel a bit weak, but is backed up by awesome acting, this show had awesome super villains that rival even the best super hero villains, it's just so sad that this show has bee cancelled, because I want to see more of these characters and see where the writers were going to take this series, so if your a super hero fan you will love this, I highly recommend watching. Expand
  5. Dec 20, 2011
    The cape was a great show! especially for just starting and having the funding it did for one season. It was maybe a little cheesy given it was made for t.v., but it definitely was very suspenseful and well done! they should bring it back for another season and see how it does.
  6. Aug 28, 2011
    ----- It was a breathe of fresh air to see something on a regular network that a family could watch, which my dad, brother, and I did. This show has more realistic action & ideas than many sci-fi shows do, just look on YouTube for 'spider-silk thread' for example (it's real!). Great family fun, we were hooked!

----- I think NBC had something going great, and was glad to see that at
    least some people at the station thought so (they finished off the season instead of cutting it off suddenly). Expand
  7. May 11, 2011
    This is the best new series I have seen in years. Reminiscent of The Shadow, with a good dose of quirky humour and story. Also graced with great actors and an originality lacking in many television shows today.
  8. Feb 23, 2011
    I don't know how many eye rolls I had while watching this, but it was a lot. I mean really? We are suppose to take a show like this seriously? If you're going to spend all of this money on a show like this, make sure you set aside a decent chunk of it towards thinks like a script with some real dialog, actors that can do more than read the script, and a story line that's fun and interesting. What a complete waste of time. Expand
  9. Feb 23, 2011
    This show is down right laughable. The story is awful. The acting is mediocre. It's just plan out not fun to watch and with a show premise like the one from The Cape, you need it to be fun before it is anything else.
  10. Feb 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great and refreshingly new take on heroes since it goes back to the roots of heroes in general by making the show be more like the classic hero-comics that portraits a tormented and unwilling hero-to-be that under the shows run, shoulders the mantle of Heroism and dash forward to save the day. Nice side note is that Summer Glau from Firefly is all grown up and is the side-kick to the Cape. Summer Glau is a very talented actress and well, it's fun to see "Franklin" from True Blood, played by James Frain, being the schizo Archenemy, since he does evil so good! Expand
  11. Feb 15, 2011
    I look forward to seeing The Cape every Monday night. I have seen the old Batman and Star Trek TV series and I always thought they were great. This series keeps the campy feeling while being current with special effects and great story lines.
  12. Feb 14, 2011
    This show is fun. I really enjoy watching a light show with comparatively little violence and basically sexless. The premise is fresh and the acting very good. Tonight's episode " Beauty and the Lich" is a very good story enriching the entire series with information that keeps building and building with great twists.
  13. Feb 8, 2011
    The Cape is entertaining and in some ways endearing. Vince Faraday's devotion to his family is inspiring. I hope they don't turn his relationship with Dana into a disgusting love triangle. It already it looks like they're trying to shape up Dana's co-worker Thomas into a possible love interest, some things in that area give me hope. Such as Dana's devotion to Vince's innocence (even though she struggled at first) and her continuing to seek proof of that. I have respect for superheroes who work to become what they are, like Batman, instead of having natural super powers.

My Fear is that The Cape will be passed over as a trivial show because it is not as grim as other superhero tales or so complicated as shows like Heroes. I think the Cape is a good, solid show. O hope they choose to run its full season and renew it.
  14. Feb 8, 2011
    The Cape is one of the most entertaining superhero shows on right now. It blends the right amount of comedy to action. Sure, the family scenes are a bit groan worthy but this is a show that doesn't take itself too seriously which helps it not stray off into Heroes territory. Don't go into this show expecting GRITTY BATMAN but instead expect a slightly darker Lois and Clark: The new adventures of Superman and you'll pretty much get that. Expand
  15. Feb 7, 2011
    I was so excited to hear about a new Superhero TV show until I watched it!

The show felt like a quick Heroes replacement. The acting is not bad but it's not brilliant, the visual effects are what you would expect from a television show of this sort.

The pacing of the show is awful, they jumped into it way to quickly. As for the actual character that is The Cape is far to like Nolan's
    version of Batman something they have carried through with some of the shots in the show.

I have no real opinion on The Cape's costume but his villain's outfit is far from fantastic, it has to be the worst outfit I have seen. Plus Vinnie Jones is not a very good actor especially a superhero's villain!
  16. Feb 6, 2011
    Ugh, painfully bad. I want to like this show, but I can't because its chock-full of cliches, annoying characters, and horrendous writing. Ex: mysterious rich pretty girl? come one Ex: Tripp makes me want to punch him in the face
    Ex: Midgets, seriously?
    Ex: Ark nicely fills the "Corporation-with-a-hidden-agenda" spot
    The lack of creativity in the characters and in the whole show is an
    appalling squandering of what this show could have been. Expand
  17. Feb 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Cape might not have an excellent plot to keep it running for 4-5 seasons, but i still want to watch the next episode Monday to see if The Cape catches Chess or if he gets lost again. My favorite part of the show is the characters, sure the plot you can find on any other show, but when The Cape is working with a criminal gang an da girl who wants to to good, You get feuds and problems. The show is amazing, in its own way. Even though i know its going to end i'm still waiting for the next episode Expand
  18. Jan 20, 2011
    The pilot was terrible but the last 2 episodes have been pretty decent.The problem with the show is that its waaaay too cheesy,the dialogue is cringe inducing at times,and the lead actor(David Lyons)is stiff and boring.If they can fix it up a bit,Ill stick with it.
  19. Jan 16, 2011
    I really, really wanted to like this show. I love everything about comics and superheroes, so I was excited to see a new show of this sort coming out. Until I watched it. I don't have a problem with the acting (though I did notice David Lyon's Australian accent a couple of times) it's the writing I take issue with. It's sloppy, the pace is off, and, well...it's bad. It's cliche, it's predictable, and it's derivative which I know this genre can be, but The Cape just does it in the worst possible way. Expand
  20. Jan 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not terrible, but not wonderful. It's loaded with comic book cliches, and the story moves along at a brisk pace (too brisk). Comic books deal with the realm of the impossible, but it's the job of the writer to make the story at least seem plausible. It's important to treat your audience as intelligent. When a grown man jumps through the window of a skyscrapper like it was ordinary glass, falls many stories to land on a car and survives, that's a WTF moment. An ex-cop spends what seems to be a few weeks training (or a few months if you want to be generous), and he comes out a superhero... another WTF moment. Or when our hero routinely grabs a throwing knife out of the air... WTF.

The best thing about the show is that the characters are actually likable, and it's good that the show takes itself seriously. But the stories seriously need a little more depth to them.
  21. Jan 16, 2011
    Fell asleep during my first watching of the pilot. Had to start it over when I woke up, and it was torturous to get through. I know you should always give new shows a few episodes before you really judge, and I might tune in again mid season (if it isn't canceled) but for right now I could not, in good conscience, give it a higher rating than this.
  22. Jan 15, 2011
    I thought the pilot was pretty good for a superhero show. Not an actual good show though, so I doubt it'll last. No superhero show has been really good or has lasted besides Smallville but this one has potential and there's a lot of fans out there for this genre. I hope it stays around fir a while.
  23. Jan 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed The Cape's 2-part pilot! Sure, some elements are unnecessarily overdone (holograms and holo-computers, to be specific), but they can be passed off as stylistic decisions rather than content-centered ones. The writing is a refreshing blend of realism and superhero fantasy, and the emotionality is very well executed.

There's even a nice touch of humor every once in a while; an example of which made me actually laugh out loud:

"What are you, a do-good vigilante? A superhero?"
    "I'm The Cape."
    "The Cape? But you're not wearing a cape."
    "I'm... aware of that fact."
    "No offense."
    "None taken."

Wow.

And please, no one compare this to No Ordinary Family. NOF is a piece-of-crap, dumbed-down-for-no-reason show of which I could barely get through the pilot with my lunch intact. The Cape, on the other hand, had me thoroughly entertained throughout both hours.

-IMP ;) :)
  24. Jan 12, 2011
    i love this series. I never forget to watch it. It is worth seeing. I liked the acting of the characters in this show. It is quite impressive.

25. Jan 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Read my full review at http://thecriticalfan.blogspot.com/

The television and film landscape is so covered in superhero series and films that the whole genre could be reclassified as an out of control species of weedâ
  26. Jan 11, 2011
    It Sure got some flaws! But that said i think if you look past the at times cheesy dialog and the obvious batman reference it's actually good entertainment.
  27. Jan 11, 2011
    Dull and disappointing. I love superhero films, TV shows, books, etc. I very much wanted to like this one. But its strongest feature is its reliance on cliches (triggering flashbacks to shows where such classic lines were delivered well). The unfortunate effect of this is that you then remember how much better those shows were than the one you are watching. If the creators are simply trying to spoof the superhero genre that's a fine plan in theory, but they still need to be organized in order to pull it off. And I think they are really trying to be taken seriously. If true, that is very sad. This show bounces around like crazy, with no support or set-up for key lines or events. When lines are delivered (or a 'significant event' occurs), they end up being forgettable or annoying, rather than entertaining, because they are so poorly executed. I'll read the reviews of the next installment before potentially wasting an hour watching it. Expand
  28. Jan 11, 2011
    Too bad no one seems to like a family guy, a honourable man, realistic, hard working and a highly enjoyable main character. The scenes where the Cape gives his timid son some kind of peace of mind, with his crazy mentor and his band of circus- also of course all the scenes with hunky James Frain in it well basically I liked the whole thing. It is a bit fast paced I admit but I do not see anything wrong with it, nor as cheesy and mediocur as other people seem to think. But then I was always a lover of cheese, yum, yummy. So let us keep comparing it to my favourite food though I loved the first two episodes I do not know if this show is comparable to my favourite food just yet.

The show seems and has started off as excellent. Most of the characters are played well by fairly skilled or at least actors that are good, some better than others at acting. I love it. I guess it is okay that other people do not like the opening of the show as much as I do, the more they hate it- maybe the more likely this show will get canceled if critics influence NBC that much. I really, really liked it though. Even if the show only lasts a few episodes I think I am going to enjoy it, unless the next few episodes absolutely crushes my hopes and suddenly becomes crappy.

Why I like the show is that I think it is realistic for a person to work hard to develop talents and abilities. I am not sure if skills are really all that natural. I admit I wish my dad were as capable as this dad and he did everything to protect his family like he used to or maybe I could be like the Cape and do everything to protect my family. As bad as the Capeâ
  29. KDC
    Jan 10, 2011
    The Cape seems a bit corny and cliche. The show sort of like Robocop meets "Dark Angel" plus a little of Heroes season 4 (maybe even a sprinkle of "Spawn") - except in regards to the "Dark Angel" aspect, the roles of the hero and cyber-geek character are reversed.
  30. Jan 10, 2011
    The Cape is a great show. It has a mix of everything you need in a superhero movie or show in one bundle. This is a must watch for any comic book or superhero fan.
  31. Jan 10, 2011
    The Cape is a comic book style drama, for people who like comic books. The concept is good, a good cop that is fighting against corruptions is framed and thought dead. He is "rescued" by a carnival of thieves and decided to fight to take down the person that took away his life. The cast is good and they play their parts well. The story lines are comic booky, they are supposed to be, you can't take them to seriously.
    The flow is good, serious to funny/goofy. All good comics should have something to endear characters.
    Villains? Check.
    Super Secret Organizations? Check.
    People trying to take over a city, then the world? Check.
    Some crazy guy that will not stop fighting against them, ever if it means try to immunize himself against poison? Check.

It has all of the trappings to make a good show and a lengthy one. However, NBC and a harsh track record. They schedule shows in bad time slots. Erhrm... Then wonder why the show doesn't succeed.

I will watch this show every week, but it will probably be online, since they have it competing against "lie to me", and if foxes delay the episode for lie to me by a wek, I will be watching lie to me then watch the cape the next day.

That being said. Overall a good product. Good guy vs. Bad guys, comic book style.
    You can't beat that.
  32. Jan 10, 2011
    NBC is making a good turn with this show. The first REAL superhero show of the 2010s or even the 21st Century, The Cape is what network TV needs. A show with heart.
  33. Jan 10, 2011
    The Cape shows that NBC is coming back. After being a juggernaut in the 90s with shows like Friends, Scrubs and ER, NBC fell to last place when lackluster shows like Heroes polluted it airwaves. But not anymore. NBC is coming back with The Cape, a great show about a man's desire to be with his family. It's a heart warming story coated by a complex superhero drama. It's the perfect replacement for Heroes. Expand
  34. Jan 10, 2011
    The Cape is by far the best show on Sunday nights. A break from either a news show or a drama aimed at females, The Cape offers a good ol' superhero show that nerds and regular viewers alike can watch. Great performances by all of the actors. Tripp could be a little better but he's just a kid.
  35. Jan 10, 2011
    The Cape is a great reminder that there still can be good TV. With the motivation of his family, good cop Vince Faraday becomes The Cape, a hero that uses his cape as a weapon in his fight against Chess, the multimillionaire CEO of ARK Corporation, a private military force that is taking over police ops in Palm City.
  36. Jan 10, 2011
    The Cape is a brilliant mix of nostalgia and grit. It's a great TV that brings to mind the great comic shows of old. It might be hard for people used to "Heroes" type superhero shows to adapt but I feel it won't be so hard.
  37. Jan 10, 2011
    There were some cheesy moments but i found myself throughly entertained and expecting much much more in the following weeks. I was more than happy to see Summer Glau return to the small screen, and for all you Smallville fans i feel that this may fill the super hero void after the shows recent ending. I like the cape for a few reasons, he is very human and it shows. He is not the perfect superhero without any faults and seems apt to learn lessons from that. there are some funny moments although i did find myself wishing for a little more funny. As far as pilots go i enjoyed it and i look forward to next week, Monday 9 o clock. Expand
  38. Jan 9, 2011
    NBC's superhero drama is too thoroughly coated in cheese to be anything but a self-aware attempt to have fun with the superhero genre. The big question is: does it work? If the first two episodes are any indication the answer is that yes, it occasionally works, but it has a long way to go in order to succeed. The show's biggest immediate problem is the overall tone and how wildly it shifts from one side to the other. There are times that it tries to be serious, with Summer Glau's Orwell deftly maneuvering her way through computer touchscreens and David Lyon's Vince Farrady having flashbacks to the happy times before he is forced to go under the mask. Then, it quickly shifts to goofy scenes involving Keith David's underground sideshow characters. This is a show that clearly wants to emulate comic books, but it doesn't yet know which comic book it wants to be. You can't go from dark, serious stories to wacky, over-the-top heists within the same episode, and that is what the cape is trying to accomplish. At the same time the acting is solid, James Frain is a lot of fun as the villain Chess and Vinnie Jones is a blast as Scales. This show has potential, but will it last long enough to improve? Difficult to say at this point, but hopefully it will get a shot. It's daring to be different, and that's something to be lauded. Expand
  39. Jan 9, 2011
    Too convoluted and cliche in the first episode. The best way to describe this show comes in the form of lines from said episode. Store Clerk, "What do they call you?"
    The Cape,"The Cape."
    Clerk, "The Cape? Well You'll work on it."

Work on it indeed, that is, of course, if it doesn't get pulled from the air first.
  40. Jan 9, 2011
    I agree with Miknificant. The casting is alright. But everything else struggles. If it's serious (with the occasional joke) then it's got problems. If it's deliberately being cheesy, then I guess it's not for me. Didn't need to be 2 hours though.
  41. Jan 9, 2011
    NBC's The Cape has budget and it shows! It has awesome visual effects, great fight scenes and has both great emotional and comedic scenes. Great performances by the whole cast.
    The Cape makes a very believable and admirable Hero and Summer Glau's Orwell is simply irresistible. I also love the Jennifer Ferrin as Dana Faraday and Ryan Wynott as Trip Faraday as they bring a lot of emotion to
    the show. The circus freaks provide a lot of funny scenes as opposed to the overall darkness of the show. The villains such as Chess and Scales are very well done and somewhat freaky but you just love hating them.
    All in all, I think The Cape is a superhero show done well.
  42. Jan 9, 2011
    Still deciding if the producers of the show are intending it to be as cheesy as it is, or if it's just terrible. The only good part about this show so far is the cast.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 11, 2011
    Every time he flaps into view in his baggy hoodedness, he looks like Batman in need of a tailor. [17 Jan 2011, p.40]
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jan 11, 2011
    The source of the show's downfall is more basic: It rushes through everything, pulverizing potentially engaging characters and story until the whole production starts to feel like a long trailer for itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Jan 10, 2011
    It's a series that looks like a whole bunch of cooks decided to build the most creatively awesome and different kitchen imaginable, forgetting for a moment that none of them can really cook.