The Chicago Code : Season 1

• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 7, 2011
7.0

1. Feb 14, 2011
    I had high hopes coming into this show and all were exceeded by the end of the broadcast. Between the plot twists, awesome characters, and quick paced, this show will become a permentant part of my Tuesday evening. This is the best drama to come from FOX since 24.
  2. Feb 11, 2011
    This show has potential and is establishing a strong foundation, the script was decent and there was enough action to keep me interested. Some may complain that they don't go into the details with the legal procedures but that may have bogged down the story too much, and it's a television show's job to keep the watcher entertained. If I wanted to learn the specific legalities I'd watch aThis show has potential and is establishing a strong foundation, the script was decent and there was enough action to keep me interested. Some may complain that they don't go into the details with the legal procedures but that may have bogged down the story too much, and it's a television show's job to keep the watcher entertained. If I wanted to learn the specific legalities I'd watch a documentary. Expand
  3. Feb 14, 2011
    Great show! The characters are very realistic. The first episode too much information for one hour, but after watching the second it's coming together. I hope this Chicago Code makes it. It's nice to see the neighbor hood. It took me awhile to figure out who Jennifer Beals was but now I figured it out (Flashdance). The second episode kick butt from the first!
  4. Feb 16, 2011
    I'm from California, but have lived in Illinois long enough to realize the corruption that "is" Chicago politics. The whole point of the show is to fight corruption, and they do. With mixed and realistic results. The characters are what makes this show work. The "head cop" is idealistic, tough minded, and admirable in her wish to rid the Windy city of nascent corruption and power freaks.I'm from California, but have lived in Illinois long enough to realize the corruption that "is" Chicago politics. The whole point of the show is to fight corruption, and they do. With mixed and realistic results. The characters are what makes this show work. The "head cop" is idealistic, tough minded, and admirable in her wish to rid the Windy city of nascent corruption and power freaks. Her former partner is an incredible egoist and talent, but even more interesting is his side-kick, who seems smarter and more self-possessed. I love the characters, I love the situations, I love moral dilemmas, and I love the realistic gray area that this show portrays. Whether it lasts more than half a season is another matter altogether. Good luck, Chicago Code! Expand
  5. Feb 27, 2011
    I hope this show stays around for a few years. The attention to detail in Chicago is spot on. Seems they are trying a little to hard to have a Chicago accent sometimes, but great acting, good storylines. Really brings the Chicago machine of politics to life.
  6. Sep 12, 2011
    I hope Fox will continue to air The Chicago Code. It is my favorite TV cop show. It is very entertaining, fast paced, good acting, good plot. This is a very promising show. Please don't cancel.
  7. Feb 10, 2011
    Not sure what's going on with The Cape superfan giving this show a 0 and The Cape a 10 on what appears to be 4 or 5 different accounts held by the same person.... I found the current metascore of 75 to be very accurate-- this is a good show, but they will need to expand upon the corruption arc and characters to make it great. I saw vague shades of The Wire in the pilot, with ChicagoNot sure what's going on with The Cape superfan giving this show a 0 and The Cape a 10 on what appears to be 4 or 5 different accounts held by the same person.... I found the current metascore of 75 to be very accurate-- this is a good show, but they will need to expand upon the corruption arc and characters to make it great. I saw vague shades of The Wire in the pilot, with Chicago subbing for Baltimore. Time will tell if those aspirations are realized or if they go in the other direction and decide to dumb it down in the name of audience accessibility. I would like to applaud the use of narration to not only cut down on expository dialogue that plagues new shows but to also sneak in a surprise I did not see coming. Expand
  8. Feb 9, 2011
    i find it very interesting that 4 of the bad reviews on here have one thing in common they all gave the cape a ten do i sense some hating going on cause the cape only has a 54 in ratings and the chicago code has 75 which means the cape has more of a chance at getting cancelled mmmm i wonder lol whoever reads these reviews do not make up your mind based on these reviews watch the showi find it very interesting that 4 of the bad reviews on here have one thing in common they all gave the cape a ten do i sense some hating going on cause the cape only has a 54 in ratings and the chicago code has 75 which means the cape has more of a chance at getting cancelled mmmm i wonder lol whoever reads these reviews do not make up your mind based on these reviews watch the show yourself and decide because there is some big time hating going on here lol Expand
  9. Feb 9, 2011
    The Chicago Code comes out swinging. Bodies pile up at an alarming rate even for an urban jungle. The cast looks fantastic (although Jennifer Beals as the beautiful Police Superintendent is a bit of a cliche). The Alderman may be a bit too evil. I mean come on! You can't kill everybody....not even in Chicago. At this rate they'll be no cast members left by the end of the firstThe Chicago Code comes out swinging. Bodies pile up at an alarming rate even for an urban jungle. The cast looks fantastic (although Jennifer Beals as the beautiful Police Superintendent is a bit of a cliche). The Alderman may be a bit too evil. I mean come on! You can't kill everybody....not even in Chicago. At this rate they'll be no cast members left by the end of the first season. Here's hoping for a guest appearance from Rod Blagojevich. Expand
  10. Feb 8, 2011
    A great first episode, I am eagerly awaiting more. The actors were very interesting, with great characters and dialogue. I am very glad to see something new like this from Mr Ryan. It will be interesting to see what they can do with the format.
  11. Jul 5, 2011
    For pity's sake some channel pick this one up, like you did with the excellent Southland. It's far too good to toss on the trash. Good plot, good acting, good direction.
  12. Apr 8, 2011
    After watching a few episodes I must say I really like this show. The characters are engaging, even Delroy Lindo who tends to over-act his Lex Luthor-esque character as the Alderman. Jennifer Beals is the real draw here. She is wonderful to say the least. The other main character in this show is Chicago. I have yet to see a movie or TV show that photographs Chicago this way. The shots ofAfter watching a few episodes I must say I really like this show. The characters are engaging, even Delroy Lindo who tends to over-act his Lex Luthor-esque character as the Alderman. Jennifer Beals is the real draw here. She is wonderful to say the least. The other main character in this show is Chicago. I have yet to see a movie or TV show that photographs Chicago this way. The shots of the city are amazing. We have seen too many times New York, or LA even Philly and Miami but never Chicago like this. The show is worth watching simply because of this city made character - Chicago. BTW I am not a Bear, Sox, Cub, Bulls, or Blackhawk fan. Expand
  13. Feb 23, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of The Shield, so The Chicago Code had a lot to live up to for me. Shawn Ryan didn't disappoint. Yes, it's a prime time cop drama on a major network, so there are going to be some compromises made, but it doesn't pull too many punches and is surprisingly good.
  14. Aug 17, 2011
    With the likes of Jason Clarke, Delroy Lindo, Jennifer Beals, Matt Lauria, and an equally outstanding backup cast, The Chicago Code has a slam bang, honor roll, can't miss cast. Aside from the fact that it outranks all other new cop fare on the tube, it was also the best offering FOX had for the season. Thankfully, someone was smart enough to give it a second chance. If you're looking forWith the likes of Jason Clarke, Delroy Lindo, Jennifer Beals, Matt Lauria, and an equally outstanding backup cast, The Chicago Code has a slam bang, honor roll, can't miss cast. Aside from the fact that it outranks all other new cop fare on the tube, it was also the best offering FOX had for the season. Thankfully, someone was smart enough to give it a second chance. If you're looking for realism, don't watch tv cop shows but, if you want exciting, dirty, gritty cop drama, this is the first place to stop. Collapse
  15. Oct 19, 2011
    To all of you ppl. I watched this series and being honest its the 2nd best series after House MD.The polt is brilliant gets you to the action making to watch the next episode.Shame theres not 2 season but all whats good ends quick. Sham. All the best to all Scottish, English, Irish lads in USA!!
  16. Dec 12, 2013
    The creators of The Shield introduced an even better show to Fox in the Spring of 2011, The Chicago Code. You probably never heard of it though, because in their infinite wisdom, Fox only gave the show three months. The rating weren't spectacular, but they weren't bad either. In June, The Chicago Code became part of Fox's mass cancellation, which saw Dollhouse, Lie To Me, Human Target, andThe creators of The Shield introduced an even better show to Fox in the Spring of 2011, The Chicago Code. You probably never heard of it though, because in their infinite wisdom, Fox only gave the show three months. The rating weren't spectacular, but they weren't bad either. In June, The Chicago Code became part of Fox's mass cancellation, which saw Dollhouse, Lie To Me, Human Target, and Alcatraz gone in the blink of eye. It begs the question, did the Fox executives ever bother to watch these shows? The Chicago Code was well written, fast-paced, and featured a tremendous cast of new and established talent. If it had been on cable, I have no doubt that this show would still be on the air and at the top of the ratings.

The Chicago Code features Jennifer Beals as Superintendent, Teresa Colvin, hired by the Chicago Mayor to help clean up the police force. Colvin has greater ambitions though, as she plans on cleaning up local government and taking on the Irish mob as well. To do this, Colvin covertly puts together a team, that has the power to choose it's own cases and make a case against their prime target, Alderman Ronin Gibbons (Delroy Lindo). Gibbons has been on the city counsel for half a century and thanks to his mob connections, he is considered to be the most powerful politician in Chicago. Everyone knows he's dirty, but the hard part is proving that in a court of law.

Colvin's team is led by Detective Jarek Wysocki (Jason Clarke), who has a scarred past, that has led him to his own unique and chaotic way of doing things. Wysocki is paired with a young, ambitious, clean cut college boy, Caleb Evers (Matt Lauria), who tries to keep Wysocki in check, while putting everyone else to shame with his incredible good looks. The third member of the team is an undercover officer, who has infiltrated the mob and is trying to work his way up to the politicians.

Every episode contains different stories that follow the shady dealings, some case the pair is working on, the fallout for the Superintendent, and of course the undercover who has an in with the wrong crowd. The stories are edgy, intelligent, and really entertaining. A lot of shows get cancelled every year, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why this show wasn't given more of a chance. The chemistry the cast has, along with the terrific writing, and edge of your seat police drama made The Chicago Code one of the best shows to come out that year.

Two years after it's cancellation, the show is still on my mind and in fact, I just recently watched it again, as it's streaming on Netflix. The story of The Chicago Code teaches us one very important thing about network television, it's all about the money! You can have an original idea, a great cast, and the most entertaining show to come along in years, but if it doesn't make more money than it costs, it's as good as gone.
  17. Mar 21, 2012
    While the first few episodes started out weak and were not very compelling, this show was starting to figure out what worked and was getting interesting. By the end of the season, I was waiting all week for the new episodes to premiere and my father and I watched it religiously. It's a damn shame that Fox cancelled it prematurely and hopefully it'll go the way of Southland (THANK YOU,While the first few episodes started out weak and were not very compelling, this show was starting to figure out what worked and was getting interesting. By the end of the season, I was waiting all week for the new episodes to premiere and my father and I watched it religiously. It's a damn shame that Fox cancelled it prematurely and hopefully it'll go the way of Southland (THANK YOU, TNT) and get picked up by another, wiser network. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Feb 9, 2011
    It's extremely well cast, uses its Windy City locations beautifully and has an energy that grabs you pretty much from the first scene. Monday nights are really, really crowded, but you need to make room for this show.
  2. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Feb 8, 2011
    The show is point-blank, but somewhat brilliantly so.
  3. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Feb 7, 2011
    The show is an intelligent addition to the Fox lineup, with both the broad canvas of "The Wire" and the street procedural of "NYPD Blue" in its DNA.