- Starring: Nick Jameson, Nancy Cartwright, Russi Taylor
- Summary: The Critic is a coproduction of Gracie Films and Columbia Pictures Television. The show is created by Al Jean and Mike Reiss and executive produced by James L. Brooks, Al Jean, and Mike Reiss. The Critic is a show about the life of a down-on-his-luck film critic, named Jay Sherman, who gets no respect at home or at work. For his career, he has to review pathetic movies. His response to most of these films is "It stinks!" Other characters who round out the show are Jay's adopted parents, Eleanor and the slightly peculair Franklin, Jay's sister, Margo, his make-up lady, Doris, Vlada who owns the restaurant Jay attends, his overbearing boss, Duke Phillips, his son, Marty, and his ex-wife, Ardith, who is constantly trying to get over their marriage. The second season introduced two new characters, Jay's fiancée Alice Tompkins and her daughter, Penny. Colorful and funny antics abound. The series debuted on ABC, and had a second season on Fox.… Expand
- Genre(s): Comedy, Animation, Action & Adventure
- Show Type: Ended
- Season 1 premiere date: Jan 26, 1994
- Episode Length: 30
- Air Time: 12:00 AM
- More Details and Credits »
A smart, sophisticated and often hysterically funny adult cartoon. [17 Mar 1994]
At its best, it's still several strides behind the savage, protean wit of The Simpsons, and the humor sputters when the focus is personal—detailing Sherman's dating woes or his relationship with his son.
The primary problem is that the show can't decide who deserves contempt more-the movies or the people who make their living reviewing them. Speaking from experience, I'd say that, for as much of a weasel as they've made Sherman out to be, he'd have been more amusing if he were even weasellier.
- By user score