• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2007
  • Season #: 1
7.5

1. Jan 13, 2011
    This show is a huge disappointment... im talking HUGE. I just finished Changes the other day and i was gonna see if the show is anything like the books. the creators of this show cant even get one thing right... Harry has long shoulder length hair, a duster, a fat cat, his moms 5 pointed star necklace,and the blue beetle! who the heck is laura? and murphy? im pretty sure that she has blonde hair? did anyone try and put an effort into tryin to find a blonde girl? at least make her wear a wig? oh and another thing, Harry's house has no upstairs. its in a basement under a old apartment building. I hate that people dont even try to stick to the books anymore. take a tip from the books : Millions of people bought the books and loved them because of the way the author made it! now who in their right mind thought that it would be a good idea to change some of the most critical stuff right off the bat? the show would be good for people who have never read the books. Im gonna assume im right that a large majority of the people who have watched one episode read the books and were kinda ticked off like i am. I wont watch this show because its horrible next to the books. Expand
  2. Dec 13, 2011
    This is a terrible, terrible version of Harry Dresden's world. The characters are well off mark and far too many liberties have been taken, turning this into another obnoxious Sci-Fi original series. Dialogue and acting are mediocre as usual, and there's simply not enough engaging material to hold my attention. I'm not a very picky person when it comes to TV, for that matter. Please don't take this show as a representation of the novels. Expand
  3. Nov 16, 2013
    Frankly if you want to like this show read the books after you finish the series's one season. It will get you interested but you wont have the screaming fits "That's not what happens in the book, What is this BS!"
    Trust me.
  4. Sep 1, 2013
    This is a terrible attempt at capturing the delight of Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" book series. It is a massive disappointment and failure in general.

Dresden is too likable. Instead of a hard-boiled detective you'd see in detective noir, he's an all-around softy. More often than not he appears incredibly weak. He's more like a more useless version of Kwai Chang Cain from Kung
    Fu the Legend Continues than a tough guy wizard detective with a soft heart.

The episode to episode plots are all weak, full of holes and plot induced stupidity. The relationship between magic and the world is uneven, seemingly made up on the spot rather than being part of well thought out cohesive set. Worst, most of the episodes include very little actual magic occurring at all.

I cannot think of a single change made for the tv shows from the book that were good, or even necessary.

As an adaptation of a beloved book series, this rates a 1. A 2 if you try really hard to think of ways it could have been done worse. As a Sci-fi series it might eek out a 4. It's not as good as Eureka, or even Kyle XY. But it does at least have more entertainment value than Ghosthunters.

I'll average out the score to a 3, the highest "negative" rating I can give it.

If you don’t like hints of Harry Potter mixed in with fairly straightforward procedural elements, this may not be the show for you.
  2. These unsettling scenes are tough on the eyes, but happily, star Paul Blackthorne is well worth watching, full time.
    Even with Blackthorne's occasionally engaging portrayal of Harry Dresden, this whodunit lacks the wit and imagination that might transform it into something special.