The Dresden Files : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2007
7.5

1. prottty
    Feb 23, 2007
    The books are great, the show started solid and it's improving every week. I hope the writers keep adding in ideas and characters from the books, because Butcher has created a very interesting world. There is potential here, for a truly great show....
  2. SteveT
    Jan 22, 2007
    Very Disapointed...I am huge fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. So I was a bit put off as to why they decided to butcher Butcher's fine work. None of the characters are portrayed accuratly. Harry looks all wrong, no trademark duster, no long hair, no BLUE BEETLE? Why? There is no plausible reason why the characters couldn't have been writtne to match their portrayal in the Very Disapointed...I am huge fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. So I was a bit put off as to why they decided to butcher Butcher's fine work. None of the characters are portrayed accuratly. Harry looks all wrong, no trademark duster, no long hair, no BLUE BEETLE? Why? There is no plausible reason why the characters couldn't have been writtne to match their portrayal in the books. I hate when they make a show from a synopsis of a great book. The director obvioiusly just developed from the idea, not the story it self. In brief the show stinks. So I will just stick to the books. They are fantastic. Expand
  3. pattyr
    Feb 26, 2007
    I honestly can't wait from week to week to see the show! finally a show that grabs my interest for the whole hour!!!
  4. DebbieB.
    Jul 4, 2007
    I really like this show. It was one of my favorite shows on Sci Fi. I liked it from the start, but the more episodes I watched the more I wanted to know about the characters. I found the characters to be charming, and quirky. I hope Sci Fi lets them have a second season.
  5. AntonK
    Jul 5, 2009
    The series sucks. As on of the commenters said. if someone liked the book, why didn't they include the things that make the book such a great read? Where's the blue beetle? the leather duster? Mister? Hells bells, what have they done?
  6. ArtW
    Jan 25, 2007
    Being a big fan of the books, I can't help but be judgmental of the TV series. With such a huge fan base, it's truly surprising that the TV writers chose to veer so far away from the original characterizations and minutiae that made the books such a hit. Also, isn't the idea of a pilot to bring in as much interest at the beginning of a show so you can get the viewers to Being a big fan of the books, I can't help but be judgmental of the TV series. With such a huge fan base, it's truly surprising that the TV writers chose to veer so far away from the original characterizations and minutiae that made the books such a hit. Also, isn't the idea of a pilot to bring in as much interest at the beginning of a show so you can get the viewers to return? The pilot was kind of a snore and did very little to entice a viewer to stay with the show. There was very little evidence that Harry was a wizard of some power. At least give us a little FX to whet our appetites...'Fuego'! Still, I'm willing to watch a few more episodes to see if they manage to pick up the ball and make it work. Expand
  7. KevinD
    Feb 18, 2007
    It's truly amazing that somebody liked the books enough to do the series but obviously has no interest in inclkuding any of the elments that make them such a great read. The pilot was so full of poor ideas and missed the point so much somebody must have made a great effort to do such a bad job. Here's hoping it gets better. But I'm not holding my breath!
  8. DanE
    Feb 8, 2007
    After finding out that Jim Butcher had agreed to all of the changes that were made to his characters, I felt a little better about the show. Granted we've only been allowed to see 2 episodes. People are very quick to judge this series, but I'm going to give it a good shot. I know that a lot of things were changed to help keep the budget in check and for actors comfort (Paul B. After finding out that Jim Butcher had agreed to all of the changes that were made to his characters, I felt a little better about the show. Granted we've only been allowed to see 2 episodes. People are very quick to judge this series, but I'm going to give it a good shot. I know that a lot of things were changed to help keep the budget in check and for actors comfort (Paul B. is too tall for a VW Bug, hence the Willies Jeep). If JB is okay with the changes, then so am I. Expand
    Apr 16, 2007
    Excellent! I have enjoed a show this much in ages. I've even given up the Sopranos to watch Dresden
  10. miriamh.
    Jul 2, 2007
    I love Harry. The show is just OK though. Gets a bit too far-fetched, sometimes.
  11. Jessica
    Aug 16, 2007
    Love It! This is my replacement for Charmed.
  12. stevnj
    Jun 7, 2009
    I don't think you should rate this show on how it differs from the book and it may not be the best detective show out there it packs a punch in some of the episodes.
  13. LindaT
    Jan 26, 2007
    Excellent performance by Paul B.- gope storytelling aspect lives up to the characterization.
  14. DrewF
    Jan 30, 2007
    Space channel here in Canada sandwiched this in between Stargate: Atlantis and BSG on sunday nights, so I just taped it by happenstance. Gave it a shot and was surprised by just how interesting it was. I may check out the book series (now that I know it exists!) Hope this show is given a solid shot. It's pretty good.
  15. MikeG
    Feb 11, 2007
    Great show so far...Seems to improve week to week.
  16. ScottS
    Feb 14, 2007
    Very unique idea for a tv show. It has good acting in it and so far all of the storylines have been good.
  17. JuneD
    Feb 21, 2007
    Sure it isn't the Dresden we see in the books but it is good and getting better. Way better than Buffy was by it's fourth episode !!
  18. TorreyM
    Mar 15, 2007
    Started slow, got better, now I'm hooked
  19. MikeN.
    Mar 19, 2007
    LIkable hero, vaguely interesting universe, but too much of a by-the-numbers, connect the plot points, wrap it all up in 43 minutes action show to be worth taking any trouble to watch.
  20. kWheeler
    Mar 4, 2007
    Intriging, captivating story line, I like the guy with the white hair that can stick his head through walls.
  21. KyleM
    Apr 17, 2007
    Too much Scooby-Doo, not enough flame throwing.
  22. robinM.
    Jul 1, 2007
    well done, entertaining & nice to see a main character who is not yuppie-shallow & picture perfect for a change
  23. JulieK
    Jul 10, 2007
    I liked the show from the beginning. It was a bit slow with the magic but picked up by season end. Dresden is a down to earth guy, not a muscle-bound-stuck-on-himself jock. That's appealing to see now a days.
  24. JustinS.
    Jul 12, 2007
    This show sucks! The books are SOOO much better, the tone is way off, Dresden is WAAAY off, well everything 'cept the name is off, and the banter with Bob is kinda close. But even on its own merits, its a really bad show. Not engaging, way to cliche, nothing really original.
  25. CarsonF
    Sep 12, 2008
    I haven't seen the tv show, but judging from the books they didn't cast it very well. Morgan is suposed to be this big scary guy who looks like someone you wouldn't want to mess with, well the pics show this average sized man who isn't very intimidating. And Murphy should be short and some wat athletic. Dresden looks like the Dresden in the book. And bob is a spirit in I haven't seen the tv show, but judging from the books they didn't cast it very well. Morgan is suposed to be this big scary guy who looks like someone you wouldn't want to mess with, well the pics show this average sized man who isn't very intimidating. And Murphy should be short and some wat athletic. Dresden looks like the Dresden in the book. And bob is a spirit in a scull, not a person. Expand
  26. Eric
    Jan 23, 2007
    I think there is alot of potential for this series. If the books are the guideline for the series then you are just now starting to learn about whodunit and whohasit.
  27. JaneG
    Jan 23, 2007
    We enjoyed the banter between Harry and Bob. The actors are clearly getting a handle on the complex characters. Dresden Files deserves an entire season...or two...or three to prove it's worth. Even Voyager got that much!
  28. TyW
    Jan 24, 2007
    Some interesting stuff and a little different, but the thing that popped in my head about half way through was: "This feels like a Canadian TV show"...which I found out it is since it's filmed in Toronto. I know nothing about the books so I'm just going off the show. The characters were interesting, and the storyline had some twists. Something is missing though, maybe its the Some interesting stuff and a little different, but the thing that popped in my head about half way through was: "This feels like a Canadian TV show"...which I found out it is since it's filmed in Toronto. I know nothing about the books so I'm just going off the show. The characters were interesting, and the storyline had some twists. Something is missing though, maybe its the setting or maybe its the way its filmed. The show needs to take more chances and push the edge more...not cafe-zany like Eureka, but more hard core or otherworldly. The show was too familiar to me; the music was the same cheap 90s sci-fi synth I've heard before and the way it was filmed was uninspired, though some sets weren't bad and the special effects were pretty good. There is some spark to the show, they just need to find a way to bring more of it out and dump the familiar look. Expand
  29. KenG
    Feb 13, 2007
    I loved all the books and hoped the show would really reflect them, but it's just a routine investigator into the supernatural. The charm of the books is that Dresden really is a wizard so he is always using spells (and telling us what they are and how they work) and doing wizard-type things. In the show he does a little of this but never shows the power he is able to summon up in I loved all the books and hoped the show would really reflect them, but it's just a routine investigator into the supernatural. The charm of the books is that Dresden really is a wizard so he is always using spells (and telling us what they are and how they work) and doing wizard-type things. In the show he does a little of this but never shows the power he is able to summon up in the books. He somehow manages to survive. Very disappointed. Expand
  30. AlexC
    Feb 19, 2007
    Sci-fi hurt the series a bit by showing the episodes out of order, but the more Dresden we see, the better it gets.
  31. DeWayneS
    Feb 28, 2007
    I still watch re-runs of the X Files and I deeply miss watching new X File episodes, then along comes the Dresden Files. Sci-Fi needed a good show, like Showtime needed Dexter. I think the Dresden Files will be a keeper and it can only get better(I hope)! DeWayne(FilmFreak) MovieDownloadMatrix.com
  32. TM
    Mar 15, 2007
    The pilot was weak but it is getting better every week!
  33. GM
    Mar 31, 2007
    The show started off weakly, but has gotten progressively better and better. The BSG/Dresden duo is now my favorite television night.
  34. JeffN
    Apr 14, 2007
    Pretty bland thus far, but not completely predictable, either. The fact that Harry isn't a cop, lawyer, or surgeon means this show has the potential to tell a new story or two. I hope so, because it's well cast and directed.
  35. ae
    Apr 22, 2007
    Character driven series have to start off slow. It takes a little time to get to know people. A second season would let the show really hit it's stride--and make me extremely happy.
  36. Jan 13, 2011
    This show is a huge disappointment... im talking HUGE. I just finished Changes the other day and i was gonna see if the show is anything like the books. the creators of this show cant even get one thing right... Harry has long shoulder length hair, a duster, a fat cat, his moms 5 pointed star necklace,and the blue beetle! who the heck is laura? and murphy? im pretty sure that she hasThis show is a huge disappointment... im talking HUGE. I just finished Changes the other day and i was gonna see if the show is anything like the books. the creators of this show cant even get one thing right... Harry has long shoulder length hair, a duster, a fat cat, his moms 5 pointed star necklace,and the blue beetle! who the heck is laura? and murphy? im pretty sure that she has blonde hair? did anyone try and put an effort into tryin to find a blonde girl? at least make her wear a wig? oh and another thing, Harry's house has no upstairs. its in a basement under a old apartment building. I hate that people dont even try to stick to the books anymore. take a tip from the books : Millions of people bought the books and loved them because of the way the author made it! now who in their right mind thought that it would be a good idea to change some of the most critical stuff right off the bat? the show would be good for people who have never read the books. Im gonna assume im right that a large majority of the people who have watched one episode read the books and were kinda ticked off like i am. I wont watch this show because its horrible next to the books. Expand
  37. Dec 13, 2011
    This is a terrible, terrible version of Harry Dresden's world. The characters are well off mark and far too many liberties have been taken, turning this into another obnoxious Sci-Fi original series. Dialogue and acting are mediocre as usual, and there's simply not enough engaging material to hold my attention. I'm not a very picky person when it comes to TV, for that matter. Please don'tThis is a terrible, terrible version of Harry Dresden's world. The characters are well off mark and far too many liberties have been taken, turning this into another obnoxious Sci-Fi original series. Dialogue and acting are mediocre as usual, and there's simply not enough engaging material to hold my attention. I'm not a very picky person when it comes to TV, for that matter. Please don't take this show as a representation of the novels. Expand
  38. Nov 16, 2013
    Frankly if you want to like this show read the books after you finish the series's one season. It will get you interested but you wont have the screaming fits "That's not what happens in the book, What is this BS!"
    Trust me.
  39. Sep 1, 2013
    This is a terrible attempt at capturing the delight of Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" book series. It is a massive disappointment and failure in general.

Dresden is too likable. Instead of a hard-boiled detective you'd see in detective noir, he's an all-around softy. More often than not he appears incredibly weak. He's more like a more useless version of Kwai Chang Cain from Kung Fu the Legend Continues than a tough guy wizard detective with a soft heart.

The episode to episode plots are all weak, full of holes and plot induced stupidity. The relationship between magic and the world is uneven, seemingly made up on the spot rather than being part of well thought out cohesive set. Worst, most of the episodes include very little actual magic occurring at all.

I cannot think of a single change made for the tv shows from the book that were good, or even necessary.

As an adaptation of a beloved book series, this rates a 1. A 2 if you try really hard to think of ways it could have been done worse. As a Sci-fi series it might eek out a 4. It's not as good as Eureka, or even Kyle XY. But it does at least have more entertainment value than Ghosthunters.

I'll average out the score to a 3, the highest "negative" rating I can give it.

If you don’t like hints of Harry Potter mixed in with fairly straightforward procedural elements, this may not be the show for you.
  2. These unsettling scenes are tough on the eyes, but happily, star Paul Blackthorne is well worth watching, full time.
    Even with Blackthorne's occasionally engaging portrayal of Harry Dresden, this whodunit lacks the wit and imagination that might transform it into something special.