• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 20, 2010
6.2

1. Oct 15, 2010
    I can't get sucked into this like Lost and then feel nothing but disappointment after years of watching. Maybe I'll wait until it's all said and done to watch the whole series (if I'm told it was worth it), or maybe my interest in where that plane went will get the better of me by tomorrow. Who knows.
  2. Sep 21, 2010
    Here's the thing:

This show has so much promise. But because of Lost ruining that genre, it's going to be hard to succeed. "Oh great. Another show where we have no idea what the hell is going on? No thanks. Not falling for this one again." I love these kinds of shows, but Lost did ruin the genre to succeed. The characters in this episode are very dull. Except for Jason Ritter who does a
    Here's the thing:

I love these kinds of shows, but Lost did ruin the genre to succeed. The characters in this episode are very dull. Except for Jason Ritter who does a great job for his character. But that's all. And with that, the show and writers should focus on him being the main character and write the story around him. Don't write the story based around multiple characters like Lost did. Because of all the previews for this show, you already know what happens in the pilot. Which is a shame, there were no surprises for this episode at all. Not even the closing line when a big accident is about to occur, "I didn't tell you everything." Well no duh. It's a shame that Lost ruined this genre, because shows like FlashForward and "The Event" now have to suffer. Not the greatest episode, but there's still promise. But they can't keep going "17 minutes ago" or "13 months ago" or "11 days ago." It ruins it.
  3. Nov 6, 2010
    The Event tries too hard. It may have some great actors and intense action sequences, but that's hardly even half of what makes up a good t.v show. The first episode was good, until the writers decided to be unoriginal and blame everything on aliens. Despite it's solid attempt, the Event doesn't provide viewers with likable characters or an original plot.
  4. Oct 12, 2010
    Good premise, but bad execution. None of the characters I particularly like or relate to. At least with Flash Forward, you related to the characters in some shape or form. The time shifting in the episodes is a bit jarring, I agree.
  5. Sep 29, 2010
    Couple issues with the pilot. First, too much time shifting. I like the idea but not every 5 minutes. Second, the hurricane force winds when the plane was coming to the ground, was a bit over done.

Ill give it another three episodes or so too really hook me.
  6. Nov 7, 2010
    "The Event" suffers from the typical "X-Files/Lost/FlashForward"syndrome which can be summed up like this: We want you to believe that something incredible and world-shattering is happening but we cannot show it to you, tell you exactly what it is or even devote the majority of time to dealing with that because we didn't really work it out well and if we spell out what we mean, it might"The Event" suffers from the typical "X-Files/Lost/FlashForward"syndrome which can be summed up like this: We want you to believe that something incredible and world-shattering is happening but we cannot show it to you, tell you exactly what it is or even devote the majority of time to dealing with that because we didn't really work it out well and if we spell out what we mean, it might sound idiotic and be really underwhelming if we ever have to give you the pay-off... therefore will go to endless (and pointless) flashbacks to prolong the back-story which does not interest anyone. Alien conspiracy plot might have been interesting (at least, more interesting than the horrible new "V") but only 15% of the show (if that) is centered around the only thing that matters. The rest is pointless back-story of a bunch of seriously bland characters and that is extremely annoying and unfair to the viewers. Watching this feels like watching a 90 minute football (soccer) match in which there is only 10 minutes of play and the rest of the time there are clips which show what the goalkeeper had for breakfast, who the midfielder was in love with five years ago and why the manager wears a white scarf on Sundays. Expand
  7. Nov 9, 2010
    I have watched The Event hoping it would get better. Instead I hate the Timeline back and forth because it tells the viewer absolutely nothing. We know that these people/aliens are in the present so what is it telling it us with the constant time shifting. The acting is excellent but every new week they add one more ridiculous thing to the subplot. In 24 there was bloody murder withoutI have watched The Event hoping it would get better. Instead I hate the Timeline back and forth because it tells the viewer absolutely nothing. We know that these people/aliens are in the present so what is it telling it us with the constant time shifting. The acting is excellent but every new week they add one more ridiculous thing to the subplot. In 24 there was bloody murder without apology. In The Event Thomas must apologize for hurting a fly. At some point they have to let the viewer in on what is going on. I will give it just a few more shows before I pull the plug on The Event. Expand
  8. Sep 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I still have not seen an episode of 24 and I lost interest in Lost after the first season. So, far I am not impressed with the non-linear timeline, the constant flashbacks, and trying to fit the show for the ADD crowd. The scenes were way to short to develop any character involvement for me, it was more of putting a puzzle together to get to the next piece without seeing what the overall image was about. I actually started to lose where I was because i was not paying attention to it anymore, I was just focusing on small details like, I wonder why the Marshal was asking a potential terrorist (main character, we find out after the show he is not) about what to do. It is a pilot, so I will give the second episode another chance, but I am not impressed. Expand
  9. Nov 19, 2010
    Let's just think for a second. What two popular, long running shows ended this year? Lost and 24. So the people behind this show thought, what if we combined those two shows together, the outcome was this show.
  10. Oct 20, 2010
    Already stopped watching, unfortunately. Characters didn't do it for me, and the time shifting is annoying. For a serial drama it doesn't really end off on cliffhangers...at least I didn't feel they were.
  11. Sep 21, 2010
    Love the cast. Hated the editing. I don't mind a few flashbacks. But the constant "X Months/Days Earlier" got nauseating quick. I'm interested enough to watch a few more. I'll decide from there whether or not to keep watching.
  12. Oct 3, 2010
    It's an interesting take on the Lost Premise, however The Event is not seeking to keep all secrets for very long which is good. As it will get boring after awhile. I do not see the Event lasting for more then 3 seasons. As the title itself indicates.
  13. Oct 11, 2010
    This is no LOST by any means, but a quite good substitute. I have them saved on my DVR because I have to watch them a second time cause I don't get how they were there. LOST I had never had to do that.
  14. Nov 28, 2010
    The premise of The Event was promising, but the show suffers from sloppy writing. It is not a LOST or any other recent popular show, despite the claims of the advertising. The show jumps around between different characters (a guy and his girl, the president, the "others" to borrow from lost, etc), but after the third episode, I found the show to be more annoying than intriguing.The premise of The Event was promising, but the show suffers from sloppy writing. It is not a LOST or any other recent popular show, despite the claims of the advertising. The show jumps around between different characters (a guy and his girl, the president, the "others" to borrow from lost, etc), but after the third episode, I found the show to be more annoying than intriguing. Examples of sloppy writing: Vice president is able to slip is secret service detail for a clandestine meeting, where is would be assassin saves his life leading him to want to come clean. Of the 10+ secret service agents who are looking for him, apparently only 1 decides to secure his location and takes him out into the middle of an open street where a van just pulls up and explodes.... Come On! At least pretend some of you audience has some intelligence. Ironically, it might be just because this show lacks intelligence that it will remain on the air for years to come.....I gave it 5, as it is a step above most of the trash on TV. Expand
  15. JLB
    Nov 29, 2010
    Have to give it a 6 for now. There's potential there, but the acting in some cases is weak. Yet the idea is interesting. I'm giving it more time as we're only mid-way through the season. The recent episode has revealed more behind the conspiracy.
  16. Feb 27, 2011
    I watch if I happen to catch it. The acting is very good which is why I gave it a mixed but I'm just not drawn in enough to even find out when it is on every week. I just bump into it and never make a mental note of when it is on. I haven't even watched full episodes.

1. It's too soon to tell if The Event, the latest entry in the networks' race to find the next "Lost," isn't merely the next "FlashForward," since, by the end of an intriguing-enough pilot, you won't know much more than you did coming in (including whether NBC's willing to hang in there long enough for us to get some answers). But the cast is good.
  2. After all those promos, people have the feeling they've seen the whole first episode, which they probably have.
  3. With its large ensemble cast and frequent flashbacks--visiting and revisiting events that occurred from 23 minutes to 13 months in the past--watching Event is like riding a contraption that is half time machine and half bumper car.