• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 20, 2010
  • Season #: 1
6.2

1. Feb 7, 2013
    Despite the frankly ludicrous amount of jumping back and forth between different time-lines The Events pilot episode certainly had enough intrigue and mystery to bring me back for the following episode. From then on however, obviously inspired by the success of Lost, the show became needlessly convoluted to a point where the creators seemed to being trying to make things seem more complicated than they really were. By the mid-season break we had actually learnt very little. Without the pilot episodes constant jumping around it also quickly became clear that both the writing and acting were mediocre at best. As a result by the time the show returned after its extended break it was very difficult to muster any sort of enthusiasm.

Deservedly cancelled after its one and only season this is not a show I would recommend even to the most ardent sci-fi fan.
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    i have never ever seen a story with so much holes in it, that it would definitely take an eternity to patch them all up. It was as if they just made up the plot as they went. Because it clearly didn't looked like one that was careful written and planned.
    In every sense of the word, this show is absolutely terrible.
    With so many obvious cliche, you could completely predict an entire
    episode after the first five minutes.
    I have seen alot of shows and the event without any doubt is up there with the worst. Which makes you wonder just what were they thinking (now that i don't know.)
  3. Sep 9, 2011
    I love this show, it is like one long very engaging movie. It is very well filmed, great cinema photography, a nice balance between action, dialogue, character development and plot, fun and intriguing story lines, and lots of sex appeal. It is also very thought provoking, especially as the show starts to come together. It now seems the show is being canceled, and I for one am in disbelief. I think it is NBC, and I do not know whether to applaud them for coming up with such a great show, even though they are now canceling it, OR whether I should ban/boycott them for being so stupid as to cancel it. I am certainly leading toward the latter. Expand
  4. May 25, 2011
    The Event" is an event you DON'T want to miss indeed. With well supported hype and ads, THE EVÃ
  5. Apr 27, 2011
    I think The Event is a good show but it started bad. I didn't like the storyline where Leila was kidnapped and her boyfriend was trying to find her. It wasn't interesting. The show focused too much on that. (And let's not forget the annoying flashbacks)... But The Event became so much better once that story arc was over. When the show started to focus on the President and Sophia then it became good. The war between the "Other people" (Aliens) and humans was very interesting. The acting is good and it has some great characters. I really like Simon,Sophia , and the President.

It's a shame the ratings aren't so good :/. I don't think season 2 will happen. :((((((( i give it 9 points because the 2nd half season was really good.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    After watching the first few episodes the show seemed kind of lame and same old generic thriller. But I continued watching it since there is nothing else good on at the same time slot. I'm fairly surprised at how this show developed quickly. It became very interesting, and there aren't that many questions to answer so it's nowhere near the complexity and confusion of "Lost". Overall, I like the plot now, but the characters not so much still which is not a big problem for me. Expand
  7. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one is a very good format!
    In my opinion the show can be new "LOST", but there is a lot of work to do.
    Cast is quite good and the storyline can be more interesting.
  8. Feb 27, 2011
    I watch if I happen to catch it. The acting is very good which is why I gave it a mixed but I'm just not drawn in enough to even find out when it is on every week. I just bump into it and never make a mental note of when it is on. I haven't even watched full episodes.
  9. Feb 27, 2011
    Truly awful show. It makes itself seem so complex and exciting by havin flashbacks, upon flashbacks upon flashbacks, inducing headaches figuring out why they had to travel 2 weeks earlier to watch a scene which has no relevance and bad acting. I can barely see any innovation also, no true piece that pulls you in to say 'Wow this is unique and original', it seems more like a hybrid of several hit shows in the past decade, without the substance. This might seem like a horrible review, but my friend recommended it, keeping on telling me that 'honestly it gets better' to be more and more disappointing, with not the best of acting, writing, or content. Expand
  10. Dec 4, 2010
    Yes it's a Flash Forward / Lost wannabe. However, I am still engaged enough to want to find out what's happening. Yes, I knew they were aliens; however are they good, bad or both. I'm afraid the low ratings may kill the show but let's hope the show improves over time.
  11. Dec 1, 2010
    The Event is a new, great unique show that is very fun to watch. Although recently the plot has slowed, I believe The Event has a fun ride in store for us.
  12. JLB
    Nov 29, 2010
    Have to give it a 6 for now. There's potential there, but the acting in some cases is weak. Yet the idea is interesting. I'm giving it more time as we're only mid-way through the season. The recent episode has revealed more behind the conspiracy.
  13. Nov 28, 2010
    The premise of The Event was promising, but the show suffers from sloppy writing. It is not a LOST or any other recent popular show, despite the claims of the advertising. The show jumps around between different characters (a guy and his girl, the president, the "others" to borrow from lost, etc), but after the third episode, I found the show to be more annoying than intriguing. Examples of sloppy writing: Vice president is able to slip is secret service detail for a clandestine meeting, where is would be assassin saves his life leading him to want to come clean. Of the 10+ secret service agents who are looking for him, apparently only 1 decides to secure his location and takes him out into the middle of an open street where a van just pulls up and explodes.... Come On! At least pretend some of you audience has some intelligence. Ironically, it might be just because this show lacks intelligence that it will remain on the air for years to come.....I gave it 5, as it is a step above most of the trash on TV. Expand
  14. Nov 19, 2010
    I have watched all 8 of the episodes so far and really have started looking forward to Monday night. This is my favorite new show. I'm really interested in several of the characters, like the President, Simon Lee, Blake Sterling, and Sophia. Not so much interested in Sean and Leila, but I don't hate them like some people seem to do. I'm looking forward to finding out the answers to the many mysteries. Who is Dempsey? What's with Samantha and the little old girls? Who are the Inos? Where are they from and what do they want? Are there different factions? And of course, what is The Event? Expand
  15. Nov 19, 2010
    Let's just think for a second. What two popular, long running shows ended this year? Lost and 24. So the people behind this show thought, what if we combined those two shows together, the outcome was this show.
  16. Nov 9, 2010
    Really like this show. It fills the 24 void and is written in similar fashion. What makes a show is the ability of a character to become likable to it's viewers. The Jason Ritter character seems to connect well with the audience. I think most people who liked 24 will also like this show. It's not going to win any awards but it sure is fun to watch. Much more exciting and fun to watch than the new show on AMC "The Walking Stiffs" which bored me to death. (haha, no pun intended) Expand
  17. Nov 9, 2010
    I have watched The Event hoping it would get better. Instead I hate the Timeline back and forth because it tells the viewer absolutely nothing. We know that these people/aliens are in the present so what is it telling it us with the constant time shifting. The acting is excellent but every new week they add one more ridiculous thing to the subplot. In 24 there was bloody murder without apology. In The Event Thomas must apologize for hurting a fly. At some point they have to let the viewer in on what is going on. I will give it just a few more shows before I pull the plug on The Event. Expand
  18. Nov 7, 2010
    "The Event" suffers from the typical "X-Files/Lost/FlashForward"syndrome which can be summed up like this: We want you to believe that something incredible and world-shattering is happening but we cannot show it to you, tell you exactly what it is or even devote the majority of time to dealing with that because we didn't really work it out well and if we spell out what we mean, it might sound idiotic and be really underwhelming if we ever have to give you the pay-off... therefore will go to endless (and pointless) flashbacks to prolong the back-story which does not interest anyone. Alien conspiracy plot might have been interesting (at least, more interesting than the horrible new "V") but only 15% of the show (if that) is centered around the only thing that matters. The rest is pointless back-story of a bunch of seriously bland characters and that is extremely annoying and unfair to the viewers. Watching this feels like watching a 90 minute football (soccer) match in which there is only 10 minutes of play and the rest of the time there are clips which show what the goalkeeper had for breakfast, who the midfielder was in love with five years ago and why the manager wears a white scarf on Sundays. Expand
  19. Nov 6, 2010
    The Event tries too hard. It may have some great actors and intense action sequences, but that's hardly even half of what makes up a good t.v show. The first episode was good, until the writers decided to be unoriginal and blame everything on aliens. Despite it's solid attempt, the Event doesn't provide viewers with likable characters or an original plot.
  20. Nov 1, 2010
    I understand what people say about the time-shifting, but if you can look past that, a really awesome series lays beneath. It has good acting, and I love how each episode ends with a cliffhanger. But yes, the time-shifting is a problem.
  21. Oct 29, 2010
    I find this a compulsively watchable show. On the other hand, my wife won't watch it at all because it makes her nervous. I tried explaining the plot to someone last night and left the person hopelessly confused, but I wasn't. It was then that I realized what a good job the show does with interweaving numerous different subplots , some of which are clearly related, others not so much, at least on the surface. The flashbacks seem absolutely necessary and clarify many things. Some things, however, seem inexplicable - why are the bad guys (whoever and whichever ones they are) so interested in capturing the Jason Ritter character? The acting runs the gamut. Blair Underwood, as the President, is fine as always, though his role doesn't give him much. The man who is in charge of the secret government operation, Ivan (I cannot spell, pronounce or remember his last name), is really great, as he was as the gay guilt-ridden lawyer in Damages. Jason Ritter, ostensibly the main character, is new to me. He is very appealing, with a kind of puppy-dog sincerity which, unfortunately, does not match up to his steeliness when he is in action. Most of the time, his girlfriend seems more dominant. Lesser characters range from extremely good to passable.
    Last week's episode seemed to me one of the best, partly because people began acting more realistically sensible, partly because of its deft combination of sentiment with pyrotechnic action.
    The show has nothing like the subtlety and thoughtfulness of, say, Rubicon, which my wife did watch. However, I think it may be on its way to being first-rate entertainment, not yet there, but maybe starting to reach for it.
  22. Oct 22, 2010
    This show easily takes the gold for the most groan-worthy pilot episode I've ever seen. Horrifically dull characters, flat acting, confusing and unnecessary use of anachronistic storytelling for what little story there probably is here. Not to mention that the twist at the end was so ridiculous it immediately had me swearing off watching any more episodes. The entire first episode just feels like filler so that they could drag everything out long enough until the underwhelming special effects "Event" happened. Clearly they couldn't hire any good writers so just went for a cut-and-paste storyline of ideas executed infinitely better in more successful series. You can't grow attached to any of the characters since they're so bland, and it's hard to get excited about the big driving question of the conspiracy considering similar shows such as FlashForward seemed to just hit a dead end before cancellation. This is worth nobodies time and will hopefully vanish from our screens akin to it's "Event" to make way for a series that is actually interesting and original. Expand
  23. Oct 20, 2010
    Already stopped watching, unfortunately. Characters didn't do it for me, and the time shifting is annoying. For a serial drama it doesn't really end off on cliffhangers...at least I didn't feel they were.
  24. Oct 20, 2010
    It definitely holds my attention, and makes me want to watch the next episode. but other then that, its just an average syfi show that offers a lot and keeps me wondering, but its not the best directing, acting, or writing
  25. Oct 17, 2010
    It has the potential to be one of the best tv shows ever. The plot is intriguing and complex, the actors are very good and the special effects are well made and realistic. The continuous flashbacks seem to be the only negative aspect of the first episode, but overall, very good tv show and with huge potential. Let's hope they keep this up.
  26. Oct 15, 2010
    I can't get sucked into this like Lost and then feel nothing but disappointment after years of watching. Maybe I'll wait until it's all said and done to watch the whole series (if I'm told it was worth it), or maybe my interest in where that plane went will get the better of me by tomorrow. Who knows.
  27. Oct 12, 2010
    Good premise, but bad execution. None of the characters I particularly like or relate to. At least with Flash Forward, you related to the characters in some shape or form. The time shifting in the episodes is a bit jarring, I agree.
  28. Oct 11, 2010
    The flashbacks and complex plot may be annoying at some levels, but when you start putting the pieces together it get so much better. The writing is brilliant and although I have little to no clue on what is going on, it only makes me want to watch the show more and figure it out.
  29. Oct 11, 2010
    This is no LOST by any means, but a quite good substitute. I have them saved on my DVR because I have to watch them a second time cause I don't get how they were there. LOST I had never had to do that.
  30. Oct 11, 2010
    Quite simply, The Event sucks. The primary issues lie in the show's complete and utter ignorance of emotional depth, instead focusing on cryptic dialogue and time-jumping episode structures too deliberate to be intriguing. It's one-dimensional characters exist only as chess pieces in a plot that refuses viewers a glimpse at the board it's being played on, yet expects them to continue buying into increasingly far-fetched story lines. Combine that with atrocious acting, and you have a real disaster of a show.

The show's biggest blemish is Blair Underwood, who fails miserably as Elias Martinez, the black Cuban-American president who spends his time angry because nobody respects him or tells him the truth. Underwood is boring and non-authoritative, and always seems to be glaring at something or someone, whether the scene calls for it or not. The casting of Underwood (instead of a Latin-American actor, which NBC initially looked for in casting) cheapens The Event as a 24 clone, and Martinez's "do the right thing" agenda seems overtly Obama-esque, to the point of parody.

Jason Ritter is solid in his role as Sean Walker, a video-game programmer whose girlfriend disappears without a trace. Unfortunately, his talent is wasted by writers who ignore every chance to develop Walker into a multi-layered character. Driven by a love for the girl he wants to marry (mysteriously abducted in the pilot), but with only one poorly written, painfully obvious attempt in the pilot to invest viewers in their relationship, their storyline is rendered pointless. Without the dramatic tension, Walker's motives fall flat, and his annoying mannerisms quickly grow tiresome.

Why NBC is promoting The Event as a cross between Lost and 24 is beyond me. Without a discernible identity and clear direction, The Event fails to draw viewers into its still-unclear conspiracy. What NBC doesn't understand that Lost and 24 were so good because they had a brain and (more importantly) a heart. Right now, all The Event feels like a cheap, sugar-coated insult to the shows it imitates.

Synopsis: With major plot holes and cardboard characters, The Event is nothing but a wasted premise that sacrifices depth for weak thrills and a mirage of true mystery.
  31. Oct 5, 2010
    There is little entertainment value to be gained from watching this show. It's just another overdone cookie-cutter plot involving government conspiracies and an alien cover-up, put together with incessant flashacks that frustrate you right from the start. What is most laughable is how seriously this show takes itself - but it's clearly made for the intelligence of a pre-teen. An African American President of the US with a Hispanic name - can we please be a bit less obvious about who we're trying to brainwash here? This will be a one-season Event at most. Expand
  32. Oct 3, 2010
    It's an interesting take on the Lost Premise, however The Event is not seeking to keep all secrets for very long which is good. As it will get boring after awhile. I do not see the Event lasting for more then 3 seasons. As the title itself indicates.
  33. Sep 30, 2010
    There are many whining babies on here complaining about The Event so I'm gonna do my part by saying positive things about a show which I think is very intriguing. I read a user review which said the acting is bad - absolutely not true! I read another review which said that nothing is happening on the Event. But after three episodes I know for sure that that is not the case. What I have seen thus far is a complex mystery plot which is unfolding by way of dramatic dialogue and light action scenes. It is evident that there is a mysterious group with two factions that don't exactly see eye to eye. This sets up future dramatic conflicts. The trailer for episode four shows mutiny within the mysterious group. To say after 1-3 episodes that this show will have no answers is simply being petty. It's got drama, action, complex mystery and it's fast paced. Expand
  34. Sep 29, 2010
    Couple issues with the pilot. First, too much time shifting. I like the idea but not every 5 minutes. Second, the hurricane force winds when the plane was coming to the ground, was a bit over done.

Ill give it another three episodes or so too really hook me.
  35. Sep 28, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The whole feel kept me expecting Mark Benford & Dimetri to breeze across the screen (Flash Forward). An alien nation with female leader and some living amongst us (V), an African American president doing the right thing (24), not to mention the back & forth timeline - where was Jack in that plane crash? (Lost). Un-Inspiring and Un-Original. Expand
  36. Sep 28, 2010
    Two episodes is enough. The Event is just another overblown, glossy, Bruckheimer-esque action thriller with a soap opera-ready cast and plot holes big enough to fly the vanishing jetliner through. The producers clearly wanted to cash in on the popularity of 24 and Lost, but the show lacks the tension and edge that both of those former series managed to carry on occasion. Despite the mystery of the conspiracy theories and the ulterior motives of some characters, The Event falls flat on several levels. It doesn't engage the viewer or give us any characters that hold our interest. It's like one big game of Sims where you drop random people into a prefab plot and just play things out. If you want intelligence-insulting, mindless action TV with plastic actors and no substance, then The Event is perfect for you. For all the explosions, bloodcurdling screams, chases and tense confrontations it has, the show simply has a limited brain and no soul. Expand
  37. Sep 26, 2010
    Really don't care about any of the characters. None of the actors stand out. And the multiple timelines and plots have jarring transitions and not much appeal. Hope it gets better quick because there are a lot of other things I can spend my time on.
  38. Sep 25, 2010
    Just couldn't get into this and really didn't want to try, after Heroes, Lost, Flashforward just tired of this genre. Too many characters to follow, get to know, jumps around too much maybe 6 months before the cancel, that is the main reason to not get involved
  39. Sep 25, 2010
    The Event is an exciting attention grabbing show that has non stop action. The suspense and storyline just raises so many questions. I hope it doesn't spiral off into another form of LOST and becomes to confusing to understand. I think the event will be the TV event of the fall.
  40. Sep 23, 2010
    Total non-event. This was a shocker. A poor man's Flashforward, which was another poor man's Lost. They'll ask infuriating questions about characters we don't care about for the entire season and I already (as you've guessed) just don't care about anyone or anything about this show. The non-linear story-telling is trite and unsubtle, and the twist at the end screams - oh wow I couldn't think of anything more underwhelming. Expand
  41. Sep 23, 2010
    Dumb, predictable, preachy. We get it. CIA=Evil. War on Terror=Evil. Secret/Evil/Unconstitutional CIA Prison=GITMO. Location of said EVIL PRISON (Alaska) = Sarah Palin. Event President=Obama. Confusing, constantly time jumping, unlikeable cast, etc. Don't waste your time like I did.
  42. Sep 22, 2010
    NBC's the Event had just finished airing its first episode, and man was it completely stupid with its horrendous transitions, and pacing within its story. It goes from future tense to present tense then to future again, then lastly to the past then back to the future then to the present! How ridiciously retarded the st...ory was told, and on top of all of that it turns out this is a science fiction show near the end! Expand
  43. Sep 22, 2010
    I have no doubt whatsoever that this series will leave us without answers in the same way that Lost did, that The X-Files did, etc. But the first episode peeled back just enough layers of the onion to keep me interested. Ritter is a perfect casting choice, and his girlfriend (fiance?) seems solid. Her father (from Gilmore Girls) is terrific - hope he survives the opening couple of episodes. The presidential storyline seems a little on-the-nose, as does the detainees situation. Truly "ripped from the headlines." And that bed in cabin on the cruise ship looked criminally large compared to what I've seen, but I'll let that one go. Count me in for at least another episode or two. Expand
  44. Sep 22, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too much suspension of reality already and the over use of hand-held shake cameras make many parts of this un-watchable. It implication of a superior race or aliens immediately turned me off. Show is way too choppy (unless it is trying to corner the ADD crowd). I was a huge fan of 24 and this is no 24. Expand
  45. Sep 21, 2010
    I really didn't expect a lot from the first episode. I do hope they don't try to make a "new Lost" cause they will fail in that aspect. From what I saw they are just using the flash forward aspect shows are now using, but that won't make the show in itself. The writing and directing of the show will what makes it a success or a failure. Oh and the Ritter kid, will be a star guarantee it put it in the bank... Expand
  46. Sep 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I still have not seen an episode of 24 and I lost interest in Lost after the first season. So, far I am not impressed with the non-linear timeline, the constant flashbacks, and trying to fit the show for the ADD crowd. The scenes were way to short to develop any character involvement for me, it was more of putting a puzzle together to get to the next piece without seeing what the overall image was about. I actually started to lose where I was because i was not paying attention to it anymore, I was just focusing on small details like, I wonder why the Marshal was asking a potential terrorist (main character, we find out after the show he is not) about what to do. It is a pilot, so I will give the second episode another chance, but I am not impressed. Expand
  47. Sep 21, 2010
    Here's the thing:

This show has so much promise. But because of Lost ruining that genre, it's going to be hard to succeed. "Oh great. Another show where we have no idea what the hell is going on? No thanks. Not falling for this one again."

I love these kinds of shows, but Lost did ruin the genre to succeed. The characters in this episode are very dull. Except for Jason Ritter who does a
    great job for his character. But that's all. And with that, the show and writers should focus on him being the main character and write the story around him. Don't write the story based around multiple characters like Lost did. Because of all the previews for this show, you already know what happens in the pilot. Which is a shame, there were no surprises for this episode at all. Not even the closing line when a big accident is about to occur, "I didn't tell you everything." Well no duh. It's a shame that Lost ruined this genre, because shows like FlashForward and "The Event" now have to suffer. Not the greatest episode, but there's still promise. But they can't keep going "17 minutes ago" or "13 months ago" or "11 days ago." It ruins it. Expand
  48. Sep 21, 2010
    I did not know what this show was all about when I started watching. I will say that for a change I was actually excited to see the following episode. It's got good acting and what would seem to be good possibilities. I have been fooled before though I remember the first Fringe I thought was good and it just went downhill from there. We shall see!
  49. Sep 21, 2010
    Love the cast. Hated the editing. I don't mind a few flashbacks. But the constant "X Months/Days Earlier" got nauseating quick. I'm interested enough to watch a few more. I'll decide from there whether or not to keep watching.

1. It's too soon to tell if The Event, the latest entry in the networks' race to find the next "Lost," isn't merely the next "FlashForward," since, by the end of an intriguing-enough pilot, you won't know much more than you did coming in (including whether NBC's willing to hang in there long enough for us to get some answers). But the cast is good.
  2. After all those promos, people have the feeling they've seen the whole first episode, which they probably have.
  3. With its large ensemble cast and frequent flashbacks--visiting and revisiting events that occurred from 23 minutes to 13 months in the past--watching Event is like riding a contraption that is half time machine and half bumper car.