The Fall : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
7.8

1. Jun 28, 2013
    Intense, disturbing but a hell of a ride! Both Anderson's cop and the killer are both complex, unknowable characters. Up there with Breaking Bad when it comes to intelligent TV.
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    Whenever anyone asks me for my money recommendation on Netflix I always tell them to rent or to stream the fall. This is one of Gillian Anderson's best works and even Jamie Dornan who will be the lead in 50 shades of gray is subtly scary. It's only about four or five episodes but it certainly worth your time.
  3. Jul 26, 2013
    Very intense show that draws the viewer in. It seems more realistic to me than other police shows. The danger for the police in modern was also very well played.
  4. Jul 21, 2013
    Really compelling character study. It's an absolute mind$&%@. I highly recommend it to fans of crime/detective dramas. Prepare yourself to enter the mind of a serial killer. It is undoubtedly disturbing, but you'll soon find yourself unable to turn it off. These BBC miniseries are generally top-notch. I would say that Americans are largely unaware of the quality of these productions. DoReally compelling character study. It's an absolute mind$&%@. I highly recommend it to fans of crime/detective dramas. Prepare yourself to enter the mind of a serial killer. It is undoubtedly disturbing, but you'll soon find yourself unable to turn it off. These BBC miniseries are generally top-notch. I would say that Americans are largely unaware of the quality of these productions. Do yourself a favor; if you're even considering checking this one out, just turn it on for 20 minutes or so to check it out. I guarantee you'll be hooked. Expand
  5. Nov 16, 2014
    Just watch all five episodes (binge!) and loved it. I never knew much about Anderson - didn't watch The X Files, but now I wish I had. She is simply awesome in this role. The entire cast, script and atmosphere very good. If I had just one minor critique, it might have been the sound editing. Sometimes there was dialogue that seemed murky in sound. This is really a great crime series,Just watch all five episodes (binge!) and loved it. I never knew much about Anderson - didn't watch The X Files, but now I wish I had. She is simply awesome in this role. The entire cast, script and atmosphere very good. If I had just one minor critique, it might have been the sound editing. Sometimes there was dialogue that seemed murky in sound. This is really a great crime series, unlike any other I've seen. Best of all, it's not another whodunnit because we know who did it all along, which really makes it even more creepy. Expand
  6. Dec 10, 2015
    Thoroughly engrossing, with a superb and multilayered performance by Anderson. Jamie Dornan is much more comfortable with his natural accent than in 50 Shades - and much cuter with a beard. Sally-Ann, who plays his wife, is excellent. Never a dull moment. I deducted a point, however, for the incomplete side plot; i.e., the one with the cocaine and the prostitutes and the crookedThoroughly engrossing, with a superb and multilayered performance by Anderson. Jamie Dornan is much more comfortable with his natural accent than in 50 Shades - and much cuter with a beard. Sally-Ann, who plays his wife, is excellent. Never a dull moment. I deducted a point, however, for the incomplete side plot; i.e., the one with the cocaine and the prostitutes and the crooked policemen - didn't understand what on earth any of it was about, and I don't think the writers knew either, since they dropped it entirely after Season 1. I wish Dani, the young officer who serves as Stella's "right-hand man" in Season 1 had more storyline in the second season. Expand
  7. Aug 28, 2014
    When Belfast detectives run out of leads on a murder case Detective Superintendent Stella Gibson (Anderson) is brought in from London to help solve it. Pretty soon it becomes clear that the murder isn't a one off.

The performances are excellent across the board and with Anderson and Dornan standing out in particular and, by focusing on both the police and killer, The Fall makes for an enthralling watch. There may only be five episodes in this first season but this is one of the best police drama series to hit our screens in a while.
  8. Nov 21, 2014
    A very good show that I wish I watched earlier. British crime dramas are often very high quality and much better than America's ones. The show follows a senior police official and the serial killer. Paul is a character you like even though he strangles women. He's charismatic, sweet, quiet, and he's hiding in plain sight. The scenes when he's killing women are often intense and prettyA very good show that I wish I watched earlier. British crime dramas are often very high quality and much better than America's ones. The show follows a senior police official and the serial killer. Paul is a character you like even though he strangles women. He's charismatic, sweet, quiet, and he's hiding in plain sight. The scenes when he's killing women are often intense and pretty graphic for some people. The show has some really good writing, the cinematography is great, and the music is chilly. The tone is dark and somber. Gillian Anderson does a good job with her character. Her character is mistreated by colleagues, people, etc because she's a woman is a power position. Each season is only 5 episodes and that is perfect. The show continues on season 2. I'm glad they did that because solving the crimes in only 5 episodes would be way too short. The show has very good acting, is really intense, good overall story, and it's very interesting to watch. Overall, a really good show. Expand
  9. Jan 16, 2015
    Riveting crime show, impressive performances, esp. Jamie Dornan. But why on Earth are they perpetually whispering? It's affected, pointless, faddish: See The Honorable Woman for more whispering.
  10. Oct 31, 2014
    It's emotive, slow-burning, intense fun. It's not perfect--it could learn to find a balance between plot and character, and when either one feels overdone--but it's never bad, or never brilliant
  11. Sep 6, 2013
    This Northern Ireland thriller gives you a glimpse into a city you could barely ever see without a passport. It was a nice little relief between seasons of Luther.
  12. Apr 26, 2014
    I guess I'm just not a Gillian Anderson fan. Her frozen-faced "acting" just leaves me cold, and it doesn't help that her character remains almost completely undeveloped (except for her silly vulpine sex life) in this first season. As to the story itself, it's okay, but I hate the way all the plot lines are left dangling at the end. What comes through most clearly is modern-day Belfast andI guess I'm just not a Gillian Anderson fan. Her frozen-faced "acting" just leaves me cold, and it doesn't help that her character remains almost completely undeveloped (except for her silly vulpine sex life) in this first season. As to the story itself, it's okay, but I hate the way all the plot lines are left dangling at the end. What comes through most clearly is modern-day Belfast and all the reasons not to go there. Expand
  13. Aug 24, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started watching this show with great interest. The plot seemed interesting and it has some great acting in there. When I reached episode 2 I thought to myself that he would most certainly be caught soon so the story could move on to other things. But he wasn't caught. In fact the show seemed to slow down tremendously as if it suddenly realized it had to go on for 3 more episodes. But I kept watching thinking that I was sure he would at least be caught in the 5th episode... So. Yeah. He wasn't either. And that's when I gave up. It was basically 3 episodes of nothing. The side plot? I have no idea what is was all about, just seemed like even more filler to me. And now I am expected to start watching season 2? Let me guess; he'll not be caught in the first two episodes of that season either.

It seems like it's a bit of a wasted potential. A main story that's been stretched beyond what it should have been. Waaay beyond.

It's not without its merits though, so if you are doing other stuff around the house, put this on. There's some interesting stuff in there. And you won't miss much by only paying attention occasionally.
  14. Apr 17, 2014
    Is Belfast really so bad? Corrupt police, cheating husbands, whoring detectives? Also, how can the killer be so sloppy? He puts a necklace of a killed girl on his daughter's neck, he then keeps cut hair in the first drawer! He doesn't bother to wait for his daughter's room to be empty to take / put away his incriminating stuff. Moreover, I felt on many occasions like some themes wereIs Belfast really so bad? Corrupt police, cheating husbands, whoring detectives? Also, how can the killer be so sloppy? He puts a necklace of a killed girl on his daughter's neck, he then keeps cut hair in the first drawer! He doesn't bother to wait for his daughter's room to be empty to take / put away his incriminating stuff. Moreover, I felt on many occasions like some themes were forced as from a point of view of a state owned TV, like dealing with Facebook account of a deceased person, or making the men in police force so lame as to insult females in front of them. Again, are people really so dull stereotypical "machos" in Northern Ireland? And with religion. I'm not interested... Expand
  15. Jun 14, 2013
    Starts well, but falls apart and interest wanes. Somertimes its confusing just as to which girl is on screen as they all look alike (I know this is the point, but it makes it a frustrating watch). Gillian Anderson's unconventional cop is a fabulous invention, however, and she is never less than sensational when on screen.
  16. Jan 3, 2016
    For all the amazing new programming Netflix originals has brought us, it has also strung along a whole list of shows that weren't good enough to be picked up by cable, The Fall is one such show. It may sound ridiculous to say that a six episode season felt too long, but when it came to this show, that was certainly the case.

In Belfast, there has been a string of murders that the police

In Belfast, there has been a string of murders that the police are unequipped to handle, so they called in one of Scotland Yards top investigators to help solve the crime. The description of the show could lead one to assume that this would be a great murder mystery series, and it might have been, if not for the fact that the show parallels the investigation with the killers life. There is no mystery here, other than how something like this was turned into a series. The Fall has maybe enough content for a movie, and even then it wouldn't be a very good one.

X-Files star Gillian Anderson stars in a role that is completely unbelievable for her. First we are to believe, that because she has red hair and freckles, that she is from Ireland, when her ridiculous attempt at an accent says otherwise. Beyond that, she plays this icy cold, promiscuous woman, who makes a hell of a lot of mistakes for a woman whose supposed to be the best Scotland Yard has too offer.

As for the first season, it's only six episodes, but it felt more like six days, as it moves at a snails pace. British Dramas are almost always dry, but this series takes the cake, not only is it as slow as can be, but there is very little action and absolutely no attempts at humor to break up the monotony.

The Fall is painfully straight-forward, slow moving, and it leaves nothing to the imagination. Unfortunately, once you start the series, it's like a car crash, it's horrible, but hard to look away. I wanted to like this show, so I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing does, it just builds to a anti-climatic cliffhanger, that leads us into season two, which I wanted absolutely no part of.

The name Gillian Anderson may peak the interest of my fellow science fiction aficionados, and if you ask Netflix, they'll tell you it's the greatest mystery of all time, but the only mystery to me, is why I continued to watch this show after the first episode.
  17. Sep 22, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching both season 1 and 2 I say it's just a o.k. to me. I've seen better "police" work on "law and order SVU" then in "Northern Ireland". The 15/16 year old girl in this series was a better detective, then the "Northern Ireland" police department. The lead detective (Stella Gibson) also did a good job in this series, but due to bad story line made her fall apart a bit. Like when she didn't update her crew, and could have just said "hey the killer my have a young daughter". But it took season 2 to convey this massage. And then she (Stella Gibson) get's upset at the other detective for leaving out this info. Granted the Northern Ireland police suck, she still should have update the police station so they can narrow down the killer. And whatever happen to going after the cop killer in season 2? A.k.a Stella Gibson ex boy toy, who was there just for sex. And the guy's she sleep with are just better looking "Zoolander" cops. Except for one who's is her superior, who's more emotionally unstable then the killer in this series. And I don't get the appeal of Stella Gibson. Why do guy's get emotional with her? She have less emotional then a sex robot. And the only one who get's her is the killer. And the killer wife is dumb. When the 15/16 year old girl told the wife she didn't have an affair with her husband, I would think "he have to be a killer"! I'm sorry if someone told me that my husband/spouse may have lied about having an affair, with A 15/16 YEAR OLD GIRL, then his lie is really really big. I did like Gillian Anderson as Stella Gibson, but when the people around her is this incompetent, except for the 15/16 year old girl who then helps the killer. The series is just o.k to me. Expand
  18. Sep 26, 2015
    I only watched the first episode and part of the second. The show is boring and slow. Gillian Anderson gives a flat, emotionless performance. I've never seen anyone look so bored in a sex scene.
  19. Dec 28, 2015
    Whereas American mystery and crime shows can wrap up crimes in sixty minutes less commercials, it takes the Brits two to three seasons. Somewhere in the middle would be ideal. As much as one can become immersed in the " The Fall" storyline, the endless dreariness and requisite incompetence to carry it, renders the story into a gloomy, and logically intolerable mess. After two seasons onWhereas American mystery and crime shows can wrap up crimes in sixty minutes less commercials, it takes the Brits two to three seasons. Somewhere in the middle would be ideal. As much as one can become immersed in the " The Fall" storyline, the endless dreariness and requisite incompetence to carry it, renders the story into a gloomy, and logically intolerable mess. After two seasons on the same story, there's no reason to carry it to another. Expand
  20. Mar 31, 2016
    I have one rule of thumb when it comes to TV series: if it hasnt hooked me in the first 15 minutes I move on to something more stimulating. I must say.,fan that I am of most BBC series, intrigued as I was about the plot, and curious of what the fuss was about I turned on my Netflix and was prepared to binge watch a show with positive reviews..BUT...( sigh)..what an utter and completeI have one rule of thumb when it comes to TV series: if it hasnt hooked me in the first 15 minutes I move on to something more stimulating. I must say.,fan that I am of most BBC series, intrigued as I was about the plot, and curious of what the fuss was about I turned on my Netflix and was prepared to binge watch a show with positive reviews..BUT...( sigh)..what an utter and complete disappointment! Slow paced is an understatement. Snails are slow paced..molasses in winter is slow paced. The Fall is like a funeral that never ends.It is grey, confusing, with all the suspense and drama of watching cars rust and paint dry. I made it to the end of the 1st episode but just barely. You'd have to strap me in a chair and staple my eyes open to get me to watch another. You want a good series to watch? Try Fargo, or Ray Donovan, or Breaking Bad, or Better Call Saul, or almost any other BBC series like Luther, or Sherlock. Believe me, if you give The Fall a miss, you won.t be missing anything. Expand
  21. Dec 6, 2014
    We used to talk about "seeing " a movie, but so many new films are shot without lighting, you really can't see much. I barely made it through the first episode, which wasn't interesting enough to sit through any more. Very little story development, characters of little interest. Kind of a long variation of "Criminal Minds."
  22. Mar 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just awful.

I have tried to push through this mindless series and it's a chore.

The cops, the victims, the people surrounding the killer are clueless. The killer is reckless. This should have been solved in the second episode. My God they have a drawing of him! They have him on film! He's been to the police station! He even helped the girl on the train by drawing his beard in the picture!

It doesn't matter what he does, who sees him and even IF someone does know(the teenager).

I haven't finished season 2 but I can imagine that the only way they catch him is if he walks into the police station and scream: "Here I am!"

So many things should have given him away(can his wife be any dumber)and yet he does what he wants.

At least make him clever. Don't make the people pursuing him stupid.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jun 14, 2013
    [A] cool yet intensely emotional British crime series. [24 Jun 2013, p.40]
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Genzlinger
    Jun 10, 2013
    It’s a fine show, relying on slow-building tension rather than the gory shock value of series like “The Following,” and the five-episode arc now on Netflix is worth a look if you haven’t had your fill of cat-and-mouse dynamics.... Oddly, the character developed the least may be Ms. Anderson’s.
  3. Reviewed by: Willa Paskin
    Jun 5, 2013
    Some of these moments are memorable and stark. More are soporific. Both lend themselves to The Fall’s tone: these days, slow is what passes for serious. Anderson’s performance is what makes The Fall worth watching.