• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.8

1. Jan 18, 2014
    In spite of good acting by leading characters, this is so incredibly predictable and just really.. REALLY.. stupid. The writers should be ashamed of themselves. The director should put himself into the show and kill himself. The producers and network.. well, the dumbing down of America must carry on, yeah?

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!!!
  2. Jan 21, 2014
    What started out as a stylish and interesting thriller completely dissolved into an insipid and ridiculous series of cliches. The writers simply insult the viewers' intelligence with a series of plot twists more unbelievable than the next.
  3. Jan 26, 2014
    The series is very predictable and the actors do a good job overall, but the writing/storyline is awful. People in this series are so stupid and their actions to certain events are really unbelievable in how stupid they are. For example, a follower kills a person in plain daylight with hundreds of people witnessing the event, and the killer just walks out with none of the hundred ofThe series is very predictable and the actors do a good job overall, but the writing/storyline is awful. People in this series are so stupid and their actions to certain events are really unbelievable in how stupid they are. For example, a follower kills a person in plain daylight with hundreds of people witnessing the event, and the killer just walks out with none of the hundred of witnesses doing anything to try to stop the killer. Storyline does not really explain why people would follow this cult except that they have killed before. All personalities are one dimensional. Expand
  4. Jan 31, 2014
    Let me keep it simple and tell you - I liked the first 2 episodes but then I just couldn't believe how brain-dead and stupid the characters are in this show. The storyline turns into a unbelievable farce and it seems to me I need to have a good amount of alcohol in my blood believe the dump story. Because of Kevin Bacon and some other actors this series gets 3 points… otherwise it would beLet me keep it simple and tell you - I liked the first 2 episodes but then I just couldn't believe how brain-dead and stupid the characters are in this show. The storyline turns into a unbelievable farce and it seems to me I need to have a good amount of alcohol in my blood believe the dump story. Because of Kevin Bacon and some other actors this series gets 3 points… otherwise it would be 0 points.. Expand
  5. Apr 19, 2014
    Suspenseful and action packed. Each episode ends with a wanting to see the next one. There is a ridiculous amount of killing and gore in the show. There's a lot of repetition in the plot. By that I mean the same point is accomplished in 2 episodes when it could easily be accomplished in 1. Overall a great show and worth watching.
  6. May 10, 2013
    corny dialogues, awkward scenes but its a horror slasher ride and its kevin bacon... so am in. the series feels pretentious in its twisted-mindness and i guess kevin bacon's character can use a darker psychological nuance if that makes sense
  7. Sep 22, 2013
    It may be a little bit more literary than some will enjoy. Perhaps it will be a little too much for certain audiences, but make so mistake about passing on The Following. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy play great opposites of the good/evil spectrum, something the show heavily depends upon. Otherwise, it's a pretty typical crime-based action & mystery. While overall a success, TheIt may be a little bit more literary than some will enjoy. Perhaps it will be a little too much for certain audiences, but make so mistake about passing on The Following. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy play great opposites of the good/evil spectrum, something the show heavily depends upon. Otherwise, it's a pretty typical crime-based action & mystery. While overall a success, The Following seems to never quite capture the magic of shows that seem to influence. Its reminiscent of the best of what super-show 24 had to offer, only The Following doesn't seem to capture as much magic as 24. Of course, where it may lack some in fun and engaging action, it certainly delivers in intelligence and literary references to Edgar Allen Poe's work in the crimes of Joe Carroll (Purefoy). By the end of the season, I felt that, while The Following hadn't totally captured me, I was ready to continue watching the story unfold. There's lots of good yet to be unpacked, and just having Kevin Bacon leading the solid cast is promise enough that this show will only improve going forward. Expand
  8. Apr 22, 2013
    It's a well-acted and entertaining series if you don't take it too seriously. While the plot becomes increasingly unrealistic and absurd at times, Kevin Bacon does do a great job leading the cast and his character's relationship with the villain has been fascinating through the season so far. Predictable at times but always draws you back each week to find out what will happen next.
  9. Sep 11, 2014
    Kevin Bacon has always had a track record of lending his name and talent (a marginal one) to some pretty good films over the years, I guess he didn't care to continue the pattern in this shift to Television. I have never seen a more show consistently deliver stupid at every turn. The premise would have served a two hour movie well, but falls flat on it's face on the small screen. TheKevin Bacon has always had a track record of lending his name and talent (a marginal one) to some pretty good films over the years, I guess he didn't care to continue the pattern in this shift to Television. I have never seen a more show consistently deliver stupid at every turn. The premise would have served a two hour movie well, but falls flat on it's face on the small screen. The writing is amateurish, the acting is average (though the actors are made to look less than average thanks to the dreadful writing) Forget about the over top violence, which serves no purpose than provide red meat for an audience that is not interested in a well acted, written and paced show. The plot turns are implausibly ridiculous and after awhile, no matter how incredibly stupid the plot turns are, they become laughably predictable. Worst show I've seen on TV in a while. They say that TV these days is better than the Big Screen, The Following is a great argument against that sentiment. Expand
  10. Mar 17, 2014
    The acting is unbalanced. I feel like Kevin Bacon just took this role so he could have what passes for a regular job in Hollywood. The plot is just dumb. The writing is worse.
  11. Nov 12, 2013
    The Following is the Spring sensation that took Fox viewers by storm and led to some of the highest ratings for a mid-season debut in network history. After watching one episode, I could see why this show was so popular, it really is right up my ally, and is easily one of the best written shows on network television.

10 years ago, College professor, Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), was

10 years ago, College professor, Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), was convicted of the murders of 14 young women. He sits on death row, waiting to be executed, when he launches a daring escape. Completely stunned, the F.B.I. brings in the now retired agent who originally caught him to track him down. Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon) is a troubled, lonely man, who just wants to move on with his life and leave all the horrors he's known behind him. Reluctantly, he agrees to find Carroll and to everyone's surprise, does it with ease. As it turns out, getting caught again was all part of Carroll's plan. While in prison, Carroll had spoken with and gotten to know many different people who admire what he did. The charismatic killer has tricked these people into believing that they need to give their lives meaning by being a part of something special, his resurrection. Carroll's getting easily captured by the F.B.I. was nothing more than a signal to his many followers to begin reeking havoc all over the eastern seaboard. The targets are seemingly anyone Carroll ever interacted with and the acts all meant to torment the man who caught him, Ryan Hardy. With no other choice, Hardy agrees to stay on and try to stop whatever was set in motion, before Carroll's plan can come to fruition.

I know what you're thinking, because I was thinking the same thing. It's a great story for one season, but how in the world can they continue this show after that, without it becoming old and repetitive. It was something I thought a lot about while watching this show, however my doubts may have been premature. The more this show continued, the better the writing got, and if anyone can keep this show interesting and fresh it's this talented cast and crew.

Kevin Bacon has always been a tremendously underrated actor, because for 30 years, he's simply been known as that guy from Footloose. I've seen many of his films and now his new TV show, and I have to tell you this guy is phenomenal. It wasn't just being able to pull of the character of Ryan Hardy, but also the chemistry he had with James Purefoy. Joe Carroll is one of the best villains I've seen since Hannibal Lechter and the chemistry Purefoy has with Bacon, easily rivals that of Hopkins and Foster.

The show is made even stronger by a tremendous support cast of complicated characters, all of whom have their own hidden past and issues that are brought to the table. Movie actor, Shawn Ashmore is terrific as the young agent who wants nothing more than the praise of his idol, Ryan Hardy. The boss is played by Annie Parisse, perhaps best known as A.D.A. Alex Borgia on Law & Order.

This show really has deep, well developed characters, that you get quickly attached to, and every time you think you know what's coming they throw a curve ball at you. The Following is such a strong story, that is so well written, that it really has the chance of being on the air for years.

Season one is now streaming on Netflix and season two debuts on Fox in January. I really can't wait to get there. Rarely do I watch shows on the air, I prefer to wait for the DVD to avoid the commercials and watch as much or as a little as I want. The Following is different though, because this show was just so amazing to me, that I honestly can't wait to see what season two has in store for me. I am more than willing to sit through the commercials in order to get there that much faster, and I think once you've seen this show, you'll feel the exact same way.
  12. May 3, 2013
    The season premiere of The Following was one of the best, if not the best, openings to a show I've ever seen. TV shows have long been capable of film quality drama and production, but for suspense and horror, the pilot was as good as any slasher film I've seen. Within 45 minutes, we were introduced to Hardy and the FBI team as well as Carroll's wife and son, who are soon secured followingThe season premiere of The Following was one of the best, if not the best, openings to a show I've ever seen. TV shows have long been capable of film quality drama and production, but for suspense and horror, the pilot was as good as any slasher film I've seen. Within 45 minutes, we were introduced to Hardy and the FBI team as well as Carroll's wife and son, who are soon secured following Carroll's escape. Also secured was Carroll's last victim and the only one to survive, Sarah Fuller. She seemed set for a role in the show yet it turned out that through his cult, Carroll's reach is vast and her death summed the first episode up, dark, scary, brutal and unpredictable.

Created by Kevin Williamson, the writer of Scream 1 & 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer and The Faculty, perhaps it was not surprising that The Following ventured further into a darker, macabre nature than most procedural police shows. The idea for the show was certainly original from the cult perspective but the notion that Carroll was an Edgar Allan Poe fanatic and based his murders on his works seems too hot on the heels of the 2012 film The Raven to be original. Also, it has to be said that Bacon's character ticks a fair number of boxes on the 'former agents returning to the job' cliché list.

Unfortunately, the show's pilot episode was it's strongest and all later episodes were hampered by the contrived nature of Carroll's plot, the stupidity and ineptitude of the FBI agents involved, weekly introduction of the latest member of Carroll's cult to 'play their part' before inevitably being gunned down senselessly by the FBI and irritatingly repetitive metaphors to the structure of a book's plot by Carroll.

As leading men for a TV show go, Kevin Bacon was a pretty big catch for FOX and on occasions you do feel that he is the heart and soul of the show and maybe the only reason you are still watching. That's not to take anything away from the likes of James Purefoy, though not quite as menacing as Hannibal Lecter as serial killers go, Shawn Ashmore, Natalie Zea and Annie Parisse, all of whom contribute willingly.

The season ended on the up, if slightly predictably, and I dare say I will be tuning in to see how the events of the season finale are carried forward.
  13. Apr 11, 2013
    The problem with this show isn't that it's not entertaining, it is. It's just that it so lacks any real imagination. It falls back on the cheating premise that out of nowhere anyone can suddenly be a villain if the plot so requires it. Also there are far too many flashbacks which are actually quite redundant most of the time.This is still a watchable show, but an easy target for cynicsThe problem with this show isn't that it's not entertaining, it is. It's just that it so lacks any real imagination. It falls back on the cheating premise that out of nowhere anyone can suddenly be a villain if the plot so requires it. Also there are far too many flashbacks which are actually quite redundant most of the time.This is still a watchable show, but an easy target for cynics like myself. Also what is going on with tv shows these days that requires they all have to be over 20 episodes long! Please!!!!!!!! Collapse
  14. Sep 6, 2013
    Aside from making the Kevin Bacon game that much easier by establishing a direct connection between Edgar Allan Poe and Kevin Bacon, the plot is always interesting, there are lots of twists and turns without seeming forced. I am eager for season 2.
  15. May 24, 2013
    Fast paced, lots of action. Reminds me of Prison Break. You are so invested you want the next episode. Yes the first episode was promising and was kind of different to the rest of the season. But so what? The rest of the season was equally engaging. Kevin Bacon is great and some of the other actors too. I don´t know all of their real names but there were good performances. Like many peopleFast paced, lots of action. Reminds me of Prison Break. You are so invested you want the next episode. Yes the first episode was promising and was kind of different to the rest of the season. But so what? The rest of the season was equally engaging. Kevin Bacon is great and some of the other actors too. I don´t know all of their real names but there were good performances. Like many people have said in their reviews here and in other sites, apart from the main storyline, one of the best and more interesting secondary stories was the Jacob/Paul/Emma trio. Especially Jacob was my favorite character and one of the best actors too. The series was kind of daring and brave too. I give it a strong 8. More entertaining than almost any other thing on tv in recent times Expand
  16. Mar 21, 2014
    This show is the epitome of lazy and offensively stupid writing. Step 1: come up with something shocking to put on the screen: people gouging their own eyes out, dismembered cats, Rob Ford descending from the ceiling of a sorority house to kill a bunch of young women, whatever. Step 2: say "it's a cult." As long as there's a cult involved, people don't need to have personalities orThis show is the epitome of lazy and offensively stupid writing. Step 1: come up with something shocking to put on the screen: people gouging their own eyes out, dismembered cats, Rob Ford descending from the ceiling of a sorority house to kill a bunch of young women, whatever. Step 2: say "it's a cult." As long as there's a cult involved, people don't need to have personalities or motivations. They just do whatever the writers need them to do that week, brainwashed by the cult's message that... murder is art, or something. I mean, really, who wouldn't want to give up a career in the FBI or local law enforcement to just settle down and gouge out people's eyes because... well, no reason. It's a cult. Expand
  17. Mar 12, 2013
    Overall, I've enjoyed watching the show. It has a good concept, character interaction, plot development, and story line. However, this week's episode (3/11) went way over the line of violence and bloodshed for me. Yes, I understand that this is the nature of The Followers themselves...As a former psyche student, I am trying to understand the depravity of the human mind and how someoneOverall, I've enjoyed watching the show. It has a good concept, character interaction, plot development, and story line. However, this week's episode (3/11) went way over the line of violence and bloodshed for me. Yes, I understand that this is the nature of The Followers themselves...As a former psyche student, I am trying to understand the depravity of the human mind and how someone could allow themselves to go against the "norms" and decency of society. Their fellow man means nothing to them, except in furtherance of the "cause", which is far from a righteous one! Expand
  18. Mar 13, 2013
    At first I wasn't sure about Kevin Bacon's acting. I figured we would learn more about his character as time progressed but it turns out James Purefoy is the absolute show stealer in this situation. He is charismatic and charming and yet, the whole concept of the following seems extremely far fetched. I can only wonder how long they intend to go with the show but I will watch until theAt first I wasn't sure about Kevin Bacon's acting. I figured we would learn more about his character as time progressed but it turns out James Purefoy is the absolute show stealer in this situation. He is charismatic and charming and yet, the whole concept of the following seems extremely far fetched. I can only wonder how long they intend to go with the show but I will watch until the end because of the twists and turns and the sheer wondering if the woman FBI agent is dirty. Expand
  19. Mar 23, 2013
    My new favorite show that i can't seem to get anybody to watch, mostly because they are afraid of serial killers and live in creepy apartments in the city. I love this show, after every episode i leave feeling like it has gotten better than the week before. One criticism, the serial killers seem to get a little too lucky at times, but hey its TV
  20. Jun 24, 2014
    This show is entertaining and pretty violent, but that's it. The show is only getting a 4 with me because I was entertained. The show was nothing special. I'm not even watching the second season.
  21. Apr 11, 2013
    like a certain vaughan 1138 ,i find "the following" more than interesting!!! Not perfect of course but what is i can't believe what i am reading about this show ,seen by tv buffs or teenagers, as "unrealistic" .thelike a certain vaughan 1138 ,i find "the following" more than interesting!!! Not perfect of course but what is i can't believe what i am reading about this show ,seen by tv buffs or teenagers, as "unrealistic" .the same people that give good score to "the arrow" or any other "kid writen ,poorly played ,violent show" It 's almost like nobody seems to remembers,for example ,that the Sopranos were real /unreal, poetic logical but with a rythme and strong scenes vivid, full of life on a human level .
    And, by the way, stop saying that you know anything about what an F B I agent should or shouldn't' do, taking examples with jack bauer or saying you know what killers should do ,
    stop doubting a killer could be inspiring people ,I for example may be the first frenchman to have seen Manhunter in 1986 in the U-S :ALMOST THIRTY YEARS OF SERIAL KILLER LATER ,YOU DOUBT people are fascinated (tell this to the women who want to marry a killer in prison (and thePOE's masks are scary because people kill, with them on) ;

The Following is a writer's invention mixed with great actors;, close to the clock timeline,and the plot is strongly but reasonably shown ;
    This show may in fact, reflect our occidental future, when people through the Net will be bored so much with bad TV shows that they shall start a whole new kind of "game"(,"the most dangerous one" dedicated to the serial killer buff in his living room) killing people"....... with followers.......!
  22. Apr 19, 2013
    I am surprised by all the low scores. The acting is great, the story is suspenseful and unpredictable. The plot twists are sometimes implausible, but there must be room for implausibility in a thriller series. This show is more suspenseful and graphic than anything else on network television.
  23. Apr 21, 2013
    Not sure why there are negative reviews of this show each episode plays like a movie with a cliffhanger leaving u ready to see the next episode I've recommended this series to all of my friends and all of us are addicted Kudos to the team that is bringing us this series...
  24. Apr 24, 2013
    I don't understand why people are giving The Following such bad reviews. I haven't seen such an exciting, tense, original, risky show since the times of Lost and Prison Break. OK, so one of the complaints is that it isn't 'realistic' which at some points it isn't particularly when it's anything to do with Claire who seems to do the complete opposite of what the audience expects. However,I don't understand why people are giving The Following such bad reviews. I haven't seen such an exciting, tense, original, risky show since the times of Lost and Prison Break. OK, so one of the complaints is that it isn't 'realistic' which at some points it isn't particularly when it's anything to do with Claire who seems to do the complete opposite of what the audience expects. However, these negative reviewers seem to think that they know exactly how people would act in real life in the situations that occur in the show when in fact, like me, the closest they have ever got to similar situations is watching them on TV. The casting is brilliant and from the very beginning I have been riveted once you get past the OTT goriness (particularly the stuff in the first two episodes). A truly brilliant show that will keep you on the edge of your seat and screaming at the telly Expand
  25. Apr 29, 2013
    I have to say that I can see why certain people with no imagination may give this show poor reviews. This is a work of fiction. This is not reality TV, although stranger, even more evil, and crazy cults have existed throughout history. Look at Charles Manson & his followers, for example. After just watching the finale, and as a loyal viewer all season, I found that I thoroughly enjoyedI have to say that I can see why certain people with no imagination may give this show poor reviews. This is a work of fiction. This is not reality TV, although stranger, even more evil, and crazy cults have existed throughout history. Look at Charles Manson & his followers, for example. After just watching the finale, and as a loyal viewer all season, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed every single episode, as did my husband. I can't say that I never rolled my eyes as someone made a stupid decision, but in the end I was always completely entertained and waiting for the next installment. The acting was superb, especially by Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy, & the actress who plays Claire (forgot her name). It was fast paced & thrilling. You never knew what was going to happen or who would die. It kept me on the edge of my seat all season long. After reading through these reviews, it's pretty clear that most who wrote negative reviews didn't watch the whole season. Actually they didn't give it much of a chance after a couple episodes, so how can they really judge the whole show? I can say for certain that bad judgement calls are made, but these are humans...it wasn't as bad as some are saying. I would recommend this show if you like the genre & you have an open mind. I can't wait for season 2! Expand
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    You would think how far can a story line go with a serial killer and followers and not run out of story lines,(meaning stabbing, shooting, strangling etc..) but I am impressed every week how the show has grown and I love the acting it is phenomenal!
  27. Sep 8, 2014
    An interesting insight into cult life, as well as a brilliant crime procedural. Kevin Bacon is all class, and my crush on James Purefoy knows no bounds.
  28. Jun 29, 2013
    The concept of The Following is excellent, and I like that the cult is based on something like Edger Allen Poe. The first few episodes were quite good but as the series went on there seemed to be a struggle with the length of the plot as a result there was a need for stupid and quite annoying actions of many of the characters especially Claire who seem to fail to realize that SHE was theThe concept of The Following is excellent, and I like that the cult is based on something like Edger Allen Poe. The first few episodes were quite good but as the series went on there seemed to be a struggle with the length of the plot as a result there was a need for stupid and quite annoying actions of many of the characters especially Claire who seem to fail to realize that SHE was the advantage the FBI had over the cult thus these actions ruined the experience for me. If the writers had added some episodes that were based more on the back stories of the characters like Ryan or Joe Carroll then maybe the stupid actions and over lengthened plot could have been avoided and maybe they could have gotten more than 15 episodes. It is a good concept and interesting plot but there are some flaws that should be rectified in order to perfect this series. Expand
  29. Jan 16, 2014
    watching this show has been one of the best thrill rides I've ever been on, I was left wanting more at the end of every single episode especially the finale. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy have an amazing dynamic and Natalie Zea was a perfect choice for the damsel in distress. I'm not sure why this show is getting such bad reviews, all I can say is it's not for the faint of heart...
  30. Aug 29, 2013
    Great acting, cinematography, some good writing, great characters, but got more and more predictable as the season. How many dark hallways can Bacon go down alone before we just get tired? The police are duped way too easily and the cult members seem to know everything, whether its plausible or not. Did the writers run out of clever ideas? I loved the show and watched the entire season,Great acting, cinematography, some good writing, great characters, but got more and more predictable as the season. How many dark hallways can Bacon go down alone before we just get tired? The police are duped way too easily and the cult members seem to know everything, whether its plausible or not. Did the writers run out of clever ideas? I loved the show and watched the entire season, but go angry when the twists and turns became more and more ridiculous, only capped by the absolutely absurd ending of the first season. I just wanted to throw soup at the TV, but can't wait for next season! Expand
  31. Oct 19, 2013
    Excellent, intriguing storyline. Kevin Bacon is amazing too. I don't understand all the negative reviews. They are probably talking about another show
  32. Oct 19, 2013
    Amazing show from beginning to end. If you like English Literature, the plot is inspiring. Kevin Bacon is back to his best. Brilliant inter-episode links!
  33. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great pilot and plot. Honestly, this show fell off for me several episodes in because the plot became predictable cops always one step behind the cult, cops get close to spoiling cults plans, cults outsmart the cops... for satisfaction, every other episode, Kevin Bacon kills a not-so-important member, and everyone is happy until... (repeats cycle).

My frustration is that this show paints the police as totally incompetent in the common sense department. Do you really think it's best to split up and go solo through an unknown building? Do you really not think of drawing up a plan to stop the bad guy's get-away car before you swarm into a building? I guess that's entertainment though... root for the "not-so-smart but potentially amazing dark hero"... Love Kevin Bacon but I may part ways with this series after I finish this season (13/15 episodes)
  34. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit it, The Following had me hooked from beginning to end due to the numerous twists and surprisingly (in my opinion) sad love story of Jacob and Paul. I'll also say that I loved both Purefoy and Bacon's acting. Purefoy is definitely a high spot for the show. However, to keep enjoying the show I had to really, really suspend disbelief and common sense.

For starters, the thought of Joe being able to amass a following of serial killers and other psychotic members without anyone else finding out is nearly unbelievable. Especially considering most of the main characters visit him in prison....where conversations are routinely recorded and listened to by staff. Early on, they seem to address this by Joe telling the visiting followers to not say anything incriminating while there but that doesn't last the whole way and during more flashbacks we see more characters revealing information about killing. I believe Rodrick does this the most.

So, we are also to believe that every person Joe met was immediately mesmerized and didn't become disenchanted by him and go to the police. Or, that none of the followers had any friends or family who became concerned and went to the police.

Aside from that, the biggest, most glaring and already talked about flaw is the police.

Now, I understand that they might have been purposely written this way to show that the good guys don't always win. I'll give the show that much because it is true many times. But the mistakes and ineptitude they constantly display is mindnumbing.

For instance, after Rodrick is discovered by Weston, he runs back to Joe's hideout...in a police squad car that is undoubtedly equipped with gps. But do the FBI track his car? Nope. They go on doing other stuff. This was the point when I nearly stopped watching but decided i'd gone this far so I might as well finish it

I also knew from the start that Claire would die. The writers kept shoving the "Ryan Hardy Death Curse" down our throats so her death became super obvious.

Also, what was with the Agent Parker semi-kinda-sorta swerve at the beginning where she hands Carroll the book in prison? Was that supposed to be a storyline that they changed their minds on or what? By the way, how does a person become a supervising agent when she can't even shoot a gun straight? Did I mention that Hardy kills nearly everyone he shoots at with one shot?

It really seemed like the writers just ran out of creative ideas when they showed that Molly was a follower. I didn't see that coming but once they revealed it I laughed a little at how predictable it should have been. I mean, is everyone in the FBI, local PD and Hardy's life a follower now or what?

Finally, a semi-automatic handgun does not have a sound. Everytime someone de-holsters their piece they added the sound. It was overly noticeable in the show.

...I'll probably watch Season 2 and hope it gets better but if it doesn't I doubt i'll finish it.
  35. Jan 14, 2014
    I so wanted to like this show and gave it the same 4 or 5 episodes that many others did before saying "I'm done." They portray the FBI and other local police as pure idiots and the other "That would NEVER happen" moments drive me CRAZY! A few of my favorites: An FBI agent would have NEVER left his back to the open front door at the big house. A serial killer doesn't get unlimitedI so wanted to like this show and gave it the same 4 or 5 episodes that many others did before saying "I'm done." They portray the FBI and other local police as pure idiots and the other "That would NEVER happen" moments drive me CRAZY! A few of my favorites: An FBI agent would have NEVER left his back to the open front door at the big house. A serial killer doesn't get unlimited visitors, and ALL of those conversations would be recorded. The masked guy lights man on fire surrounded by people in broad daylight and just walks away without someone stopping him? 2 hours for a swat team to arrive? A prisoner isn't allowed unlimited visits by an attorney and they would never allow a "statement" to be read like that at a press conference. A serial killer would have never been led away for "legal research" in the first place. Bacon's character goes inside the restaurant and his partner takes 30 minutes to come in and save him? I know it's TV but come on. They could have kept this story and with more realism made it so,so, much better. The writers are trying to get us to believe the improbable in the first place. Throwing in so many other Never Happen moments into the show makes it unwatchable. Expand
  36. Feb 3, 2014
    Was this show originally meant to have "lone" hero, someone working alone to bring down the bad guy?...
    This show makes law enforcement look unbelievably incompetent.
  37. Feb 5, 2014
    So firstly, this show has great timing, (right when the Dexter series ended), similar plot, more twisted characters and a poetic emphasis. The characters are convincing, loved Annie Parisses part, tragic. The dialogue needs improvement, Kevin Bacon is amazing, looking forward to the next episode and hoping it gets better ! !
  38. Mar 9, 2014
    Absolutely terrible excuse for a series. Uninteresting, predictable and tame (the only fear factor comes from the gore). All of the characters I found myself not caring about, leaving me indifferent when they lived or died. The antagonists are boring as well, and the jump scares are predictable as they come.
  39. Mar 10, 2014
    Started watching this show b/c of Kevin Bacon. Got to the 6th episode in season 1 and I had to turn it off. Everyone is randomly a follower. Local police/FBI/SWAT team, unbelievably stupid, not worth watching, terrible.
  40. Apr 20, 2014
    This show is quite possibly the biggest piece of **** ever to be shown on TV. Wow, Kevin Bacon must really need the money. I would rather have my fingernails pulled out than see another second of this trash. I can't believe anyone with a pulse would watch this silly rubbish! Whew what a turd!
  41. May 3, 2014
    This show exhales ridiculous amounts of **** There is literally nothing of merit in this show. Kevin Bacon is average, the rest of the cast is rubbish, only James Purefoy is half-decent. The writing is non-existent. Natalie Zea is hot. Shame, because another network drama about a serial killer, Hannibal, aired at roughly the same time and is infinitely better.
  42. May 7, 2014
    ADHD TV. With the series "24" started it all. Series where each second / minute a new surprising twist occurs.

It is believed "X" as an accomplice. But it is not. Not yet. Later maybe, but think about it then again different. At the end she turns he / she might still by, or is the / the smartest, the even pulling the strings. Anything can happen. Every moment. Just horrible. Unbearable

Anything can happen. Every moment. Just horrible. Unbearable illogical.
    Example: The poor kidnapped child would be totally stupid already, not to remember what happened. Alone dese fact is unreasonable for the spectator.

Kevon Bacon overtakes my opinion the same fate as Christopher Lambert. A good movie (Lambert: Highlander 1) in the filmography, the rest then scrap. Which was actually the only good movie with Kevin Bacon? It does not matter.

The Following is outstanding bad. Can be useful in the Film Academy, as a cautionary example of how not to do it.
  43. Jul 9, 2014
    This show is brilliant. I don't understand how one cannot seem to enjoy it or find even the least bit of interesting. I am hooked on this show. By far the best show I've ever watched in my lifetime. I think people that are saying negative things about the show didn't actually pay attention to it. Their loss. It's a great show and I cannot wait until season 3 airs!!
  44. Jul 11, 2014
    I don't know who wrote these scripts, all characters seem to have less than 50 IQ including FBI agents and Policemen, even my kids think these characters are "Unreal"... Put some logic and common sense in these characters please!!!!
  45. Nov 3, 2014
    I too love Kevin Bacon and was rearing to love this series. But it turns out a complete Disappointment. Days of our lives in thriller version. A never ending episode story, with numerous characters appearing from the dead, an antagonist that doesn't end and a hero that is literally always a second too late. Someone should fire the scriptwriter! Never watching another episode again.
  46. Oct 28, 2014
    I will give it a 1 for Kevin Bacon. I have always thought he was a capable actor and he is not to blame for the problems with this series. It simply is a badly written series which tries to make up for a lack of originality with gratuitous blood and gruesome murders which cannot even be shown on fox properly. It ends up being a terrible mashup of CSI, True Detective, and Footloose (ok notI will give it a 1 for Kevin Bacon. I have always thought he was a capable actor and he is not to blame for the problems with this series. It simply is a badly written series which tries to make up for a lack of originality with gratuitous blood and gruesome murders which cannot even be shown on fox properly. It ends up being a terrible mashup of CSI, True Detective, and Footloose (ok not so much but just because Bacon is in it). STAY AWAY and use your precious TV time on better shows. Expand
  47. Nov 24, 2014
    I watch a lot of murder mysteries...Im a bit disappointed with this one. Police are total fools, including Kevin's character. First, we learn over time that the death row seriel killer has dozens of visitors...hmmm....nobody questions that, and really he is allowed to use the library and the internet in prison....hahahaha. After his first escape and capture they realize what he isI watch a lot of murder mysteries...Im a bit disappointed with this one. Police are total fools, including Kevin's character. First, we learn over time that the death row seriel killer has dozens of visitors...hmmm....nobody questions that, and really he is allowed to use the library and the internet in prison....hahahaha. After his first escape and capture they realize what he is about...about his unknown followers etc. Then a 2nd escape...that was so ridiculous...so does his lawyer really believe after she was tortured and threatened he would keep her alive after she helps him escape. And other characters.. How many times do you almost get killed, or you lose partners do you continue to try and deal with situations way out in the boonies in abandanded large buildings by yourself or with one other fellow officer? Even once they know they are targets by his followers (no protection details)...the entire series and its failure to catch the killer and his followers are all about idiot police and FBI.....even the wife of the seriel killer is stupid more then once tries to go on her own....all these followers and police/fbi people seem to think they wont get killed left to their own devices when dealing with the killer. Seems incredibliy irrational. Expand
  48. Dec 21, 2014
    I found the first few episodes of season 1 promising and downright scary. Then, moving on , 2/3 or so of the first season is good, but then things take a turn for a worse. Nobody to blame here but the writers. All TV crime shows requires some suspension of belief. Heck, all TV shows do. And almost all movies. But this one asks just too much from the audience. First, we have the mainI found the first few episodes of season 1 promising and downright scary. Then, moving on , 2/3 or so of the first season is good, but then things take a turn for a worse. Nobody to blame here but the writers. All TV crime shows requires some suspension of belief. Heck, all TV shows do. And almost all movies. But this one asks just too much from the audience. First, we have the main villain, who one could say is rip-off of Hannibal Lector, except Lector is far, far more competent. This guy's FOLLOWERS are pretty scary, particularly early in the season, but Carroll himself is just one seriously inept supercriminal. And these cops, oh, these cops are dumb. They're the kind of dumb that makes TV audiences yell at the screen, 'No, you idiot, don't put your gun down!," "What?? Are you nuts? Look out behind you!" That kind of thing. Worst, this series requires belief in a premise that makes no sense. I kept hoping they'd get me to the point that I'd buy it, but it never happened. How, exactly, were these people "recruited" into a murderous cult through interactions with Carroll while he was in prison? By talking to him for a few minutes through milky plexiglas while visiting him in prison? It just doesn't makes sense and not enough effort went into that backstory. Still will give it a few points, as Kevin Bacon turns in pretty decent performances, as do a few stand-out cast members. And, there's some fun in yelling at dumb FBI agents on the screen. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Part Greek tragedy, part “Silence of the Lambs” offspring, The Following has an intriguing premise that almost rises above its layered plotting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    The Following, compelling and frustrating from its opening credits, sets viewers up for a season-long, blood-soaked rematch between an evil intellectual and his law-enforcement nemesis.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    [A] somewhat overheated but still fairly effective new thriller.