• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.9

1. Mar 1, 2013
    Great Show, completely under rated. I don't understand a lot of the negative reviews...Are we watching the same show?? Fast paced, action packed and full of twists. I think the cast is great, Kevin Bacon was a great choice as a lead and James Purefoy nails the intellectual psychopath down to a tee. I think people are much to quick to write of shows before they've even had a chance to bloom. As i said, i don't understand all the negative reviews. Maybe it's just the "twilight" generation, so used to mediocrity when they see something with some actual merit they automatically write it off. Expand
  2. Feb 6, 2013
    Gratuitous Violence! Unbelievable that followers could be manipulated to murder (omigod) college girls.
    Maybe because I am older than the hills and remember Charlie Manson, Jones Town and the Dravidians in Wacko Waco I have less trouble accepting the psychology of the characters. From my perspective the twists and the motives, known and unknown, of the supporting cast are giving me plenty
    of fun and games for my entertainment dollar. There is a lot worse television...it is fiction folks, not "reality". Expand
  3. Jan 30, 2013
    The Following delivers.........interesting plot, great performance by Kevin Bacon and Jeremy Purefoy, awesome suspense and good twists at the end, make the pilot one of the best episodes I watched this year so far.
  4. Jan 21, 2013
    Kevin Bacon is great in pretty much everything he does, but I think he's going to out do himself if this series continues. I think it's a great start to what could be a very memorable, if not bloody series. The episode seemed to come in waves, often divulging into the past for context. The moments that grab you are evenly paced throughout the episode, and each moment gets more intense as the episode goes on, something that FOX shows as of late have severely lacked. For the last few years, the FOX lineup seems to be a shows destined to last maybe a season or two at best. That Christian Slater show was somehow brought back even after the terrible ratings, but FOX blew it on things like Terra Nova and the Chicago Code(which had potential). The Following does not fit into these molds, because FOX didn't over do it like all the other shows. Nothing is forced, the acting is very natural especially from Ze Bacon (my nickname for him), and the story likes to jump out and stab you a few times just to make sure you haven't lost interest. It's gory too, which I found a bit surprising at first considering how FOX is somewhat family friendly. I took this directly from the wikipedia page and I think it's kinda humorous:

"To slip gory scenes past the Standards and Practices department at Fox Broadcasting, Williamson explained, "There are tricks... Okay, in the same episode there's an actor cutting someone in the jugular, and you're harping on the sex scene? So I sent a little email to [Fox Entertainment chairman] Kevin Reilly, and within 15 minutes the broadcast-and-standards people were like, It's okay."[4]

To conclude I would like to say I've given all of the latest FOX dramas a shot, from Fringe and Lie to Me, to the Chicago Code and Terra Nova. Fringe was the only one that I thought was decent, just because the story was original(and i tend to love shows that have former members of The Wire on them). Lie to Me had god awful acting and directing, Terra Nova was a colossal waste of a potentially good idea, and The Chicago Code couldn't flashdance it's way into the viewers hearts, which was very disappointing. I think the Following will have a good following and will bring back viewers that FOX is so desperately needing right now, provided enough people stay with it, and so far I've seen nothing but good reviews.
  5. Feb 6, 2013
    I think The Following is an incredible show. It's exciting, suspenseful, gory and always keeps you guessing. Kevin Bacon is fantastic. James Purefoy was cast perfectly as the very charismatic (and quite psychotic) serial killer. I think it's a great take on the "cult" phenomenon. I anxiously await every weeks episode just to see where the writers will take us next.
  6. Jan 31, 2013
    This show is very good. Interesting, suspenseful, and well written. Kevin Bacon does a great job as lead. Leaves you waiting for the next episode each week.
  7. Jan 28, 2013
    So far it's really good. It almost feels like a movie. There is enough tension to keep you thinking and the acting is above par for most tv shows. I am really impressed and look forward to more.
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    Very few television shows make me jump out of my seat. The first episode got me twice. If nothing else this show will start an Edgar Allen Poe revival.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    I absolutely love this show and have high hopes for the rest of the season. Kevin Bacon's acting is superb and he really makes the character believable. Although I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the basis on which the cult was started is unbelievable, I suppose it is not improbable as we have Scientologists amongst us who believe we are all aliens. However the only down side for me about this show is that it should be a mini series and not serialised because where can it go from here? They can only do so much with it as there is only about 5 followers and much more would be a stretch. Collapse
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What makes the following so great is the character development. Every character has a story. It's unlike any show I have ever seen. The suspense is never ending. I will admit the story is getting a little out of control, the following is a bit larger than we thought it was, but you can't help but be intrigued. I have no clue how they are going to pull off a second season but fox has already ordered it. Excited! As long as they keep the suspense up, I'm a fan! Expand
  11. Feb 17, 2013
    "The Following" by Kevin Williamson has a premise that is a recycled one no doubt. For example, Kevin's signature death is by being stabbed by a knife which has been consistently overused through his other movies such as Scream. However, what breathes new air into the show is the characters and the cast. Even, the relative newcomers like Adan Canto and Nico Tortorella play extremely convincing roles as tortured souls being manipulated by Joe Carroll. Overall, the show is enjoyable and the plot continues to build each week while still maintaining to delve deeper into each characters past. Expand
  12. Apr 16, 2013
    This show is absolutely awesome. Fast paced, unpredictable, and kind of creepy. For like 2 episodes straight nothing important happened and that was a problem. That's the only reason I didn't give this first season a 10. But that problem greatly improved in a short amount of time. After that, every episode kept your full attention and you were never bored again. Now all this season is, is heart pounding edge of your seat entertainment. Expand
  13. Mar 30, 2013
    great series ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! Every episode I'm left with my mouth to the floor. I'm obsessed with this show!!!! It's right up there with the walking dead, true blood & board walk empire. Please don't ever get rid of this show!!!
  15. Apr 8, 2013
    Great plot. Great characters. Haven't eagerly awaited a TV show this much every week since 24 was on.
    I am amazed every week how unpredictably the story will turn. GREAT casting. I can see most of these actors/actresses getting their own shows in the future. All you negative ninnies go watch New Girl or Castle. I'll look forward to Seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5 of this more intense drama.
  16. Apr 9, 2013
    Really enjoying it, especially kevin bacon. Interesting plot, good characters and I like the whole premise of the cult in general. Looking forward to seeing more.
  17. Apr 19, 2014
    Suspenseful and action packed. Each episode ends with a wanting to see the next one. There is a ridiculous amount of killing and gore in the show. There's a lot of repetition in the plot. By that I mean the same point is accomplished in 2 episodes when it could easily be accomplished in 1. Overall a great show and worth watching.
  18. Mar 13, 2013
    At first I wasn't sure about Kevin Bacon's acting. I figured we would learn more about his character as time progressed but it turns out James Purefoy is the absolute show stealer in this situation. He is charismatic and charming and yet, the whole concept of the following seems extremely far fetched. I can only wonder how long they intend to go with the show but I will watch until the end because of the twists and turns and the sheer wondering if the woman FBI agent is dirty. Expand
  19. Mar 23, 2013
    My new favorite show that i can't seem to get anybody to watch, mostly because they are afraid of serial killers and live in creepy apartments in the city. I love this show, after every episode i leave feeling like it has gotten better than the week before. One criticism, the serial killers seem to get a little too lucky at times, but hey its TV
  20. Apr 19, 2013
    I am surprised by all the low scores. The acting is great, the story is suspenseful and unpredictable. The plot twists are sometimes implausible, but there must be room for implausibility in a thriller series. This show is more suspenseful and graphic than anything else on network television.
  21. Apr 21, 2013
    Not sure why there are negative reviews of this show each episode plays like a movie with a cliffhanger leaving u ready to see the next episode I've recommended this series to all of my friends and all of us are addicted Kudos to the team that is bringing us this series...
  22. Apr 24, 2013
    I don't understand why people are giving The Following such bad reviews. I haven't seen such an exciting, tense, original, risky show since the times of Lost and Prison Break. OK, so one of the complaints is that it isn't 'realistic' which at some points it isn't particularly when it's anything to do with Claire who seems to do the complete opposite of what the audience expects. However, these negative reviewers seem to think that they know exactly how people would act in real life in the situations that occur in the show when in fact, like me, the closest they have ever got to similar situations is watching them on TV. The casting is brilliant and from the very beginning I have been riveted once you get past the OTT goriness (particularly the stuff in the first two episodes). A truly brilliant show that will keep you on the edge of your seat and screaming at the telly Expand
  23. Apr 29, 2013
    I have to say that I can see why certain people with no imagination may give this show poor reviews. This is a work of fiction. This is not reality TV, although stranger, even more evil, and crazy cults have existed throughout history. Look at Charles Manson & his followers, for example. After just watching the finale, and as a loyal viewer all season, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed every single episode, as did my husband. I can't say that I never rolled my eyes as someone made a stupid decision, but in the end I was always completely entertained and waiting for the next installment. The acting was superb, especially by Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy, & the actress who plays Claire (forgot her name). It was fast paced & thrilling. You never knew what was going to happen or who would die. It kept me on the edge of my seat all season long. After reading through these reviews, it's pretty clear that most who wrote negative reviews didn't watch the whole season. Actually they didn't give it much of a chance after a couple episodes, so how can they really judge the whole show? I can say for certain that bad judgement calls are made, but these are humans...it wasn't as bad as some are saying. I would recommend this show if you like the genre & you have an open mind. I can't wait for season 2! Expand
  24. Mar 24, 2014
    You would think how far can a story line go with a serial killer and followers and not run out of story lines,(meaning stabbing, shooting, strangling etc..) but I am impressed every week how the show has grown and I love the acting it is phenomenal!
  25. Jan 16, 2014
    watching this show has been one of the best thrill rides I've ever been on, I was left wanting more at the end of every single episode especially the finale. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy have an amazing dynamic and Natalie Zea was a perfect choice for the damsel in distress. I'm not sure why this show is getting such bad reviews, all I can say is it's not for the faint of heart...
  26. Oct 19, 2013
    Excellent, intriguing storyline. Kevin Bacon is amazing too. I don't understand all the negative reviews. They are probably talking about another show
  27. Oct 19, 2013
    Amazing show from beginning to end. If you like English Literature, the plot is inspiring. Kevin Bacon is back to his best. Brilliant inter-episode links!
  28. Jul 9, 2014
    This show is brilliant. I don't understand how one cannot seem to enjoy it or find even the least bit of interesting. I am hooked on this show. By far the best show I've ever watched in my lifetime. I think people that are saying negative things about the show didn't actually pay attention to it. Their loss. It's a great show and I cannot wait until season 3 airs!!

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Part Greek tragedy, part “Silence of the Lambs” offspring, The Following has an intriguing premise that almost rises above its layered plotting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    The Following, compelling and frustrating from its opening credits, sets viewers up for a season-long, blood-soaked rematch between an evil intellectual and his law-enforcement nemesis.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    [A] somewhat overheated but still fairly effective new thriller.