The Following : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
5.8

1. Jan 26, 2017
    Wow! How unbelievably bad. The plot is just completely farcical. Would have been better to add some humour and make this into a satire or parody. The 'twists' are blazé, the attempt at battle of wits and clever cat and mouse are completely absent. Just a series of completely unrealistic events that just make you feel cheated for having taken up download space on Amozon...
  2. Feb 4, 2016
    Acting is decent, not great. Plotline is purely ridiculous and eventually had me screaming at the TV at the idiocy of the FBI and police as they blunder into convenient mistakes to help the sad little man at the center of it all lead his mindless followers on murder sprees. I made it to episode 8 of season one, when the mastermind escapes due to ridiculously contrived scenarios that had meActing is decent, not great. Plotline is purely ridiculous and eventually had me screaming at the TV at the idiocy of the FBI and police as they blunder into convenient mistakes to help the sad little man at the center of it all lead his mindless followers on murder sprees. I made it to episode 8 of season one, when the mastermind escapes due to ridiculously contrived scenarios that had me guessing he escaped by the very second they mentioned he requested a transfer. Just too ridiculous, I couldn't keep watching. There is seemingly no reason for the mastermind's followers to be so devoted, given they have no overarching cause besides "follow what Joe says" and "kill random people because you can". Joe isn't charming or even clever, he's a pathetic creep that wants revenge for being caught after killing people and making it all about Poe. It's just bad, I just can't watch it and take it seriously. Expand
  3. Jan 14, 2016
    How this series made it through three seasons is beyond me. It was torture getting through the first season as it plodded along painfully, and I waited for it to gain some momentum. Actually, I thought it had potential in the beginning and was getting into it a bit. But it became so ridiculous and far-fetched that the most I got out of it was muscle strain from all the head-shaking andHow this series made it through three seasons is beyond me. It was torture getting through the first season as it plodded along painfully, and I waited for it to gain some momentum. Actually, I thought it had potential in the beginning and was getting into it a bit. But it became so ridiculous and far-fetched that the most I got out of it was muscle strain from all the head-shaking and eye-rolling. The only reason I didn't give up was because I didn't know there were three seasons until I realized by episode 15 that there wasn't going to be a resolution. I would rather have my eyes cut out than to sit through another episode. What a disappointment! Expand
  4. qev
    May 28, 2015
    well, though i know James Purefoy from working all too briefly together on "Rome" a while back, it proved no defence from squirting my pants a wee bit, waiting for the comedy to kick in
  5. May 15, 2015
    I'm disappointed that this show has been cancelled. Fox has acted upon the declining ratings but The Following was a fine series. Kevin Bacon's character is believably flawed, and the Theo character could have adequately replaced Joe Carroll. Shame.
  6. Apr 5, 2015
    Imagine if someone was inspired by the ridiculous plot holes in the Dexter finale to write a whole show. That's the Following in a nutshell. I'll try to be as brief as possible as to why this whole thing is simply insultingly preposterous.

-Cults don't work like this. To start a cult you need a charismatic leader with some type of guiding philosophy made to inspire. All this leader does is simply recruit other psychopaths. This could be negligible if not for the fact that it's the entire premise of the show.
    -Everyone on the show (except the killers) is a TOTAL F---ING MORON. The writers use this to make their story happen. It's cheap, lazy, and ignorant, but they can get away with it because in today's world lack of realism is, to some people, apparently only a problem if used for happy endings rather than sad ones. It's discouraging really. Horror genre diehards will defend the show saying stuff like "this is the real world. killers get away." But it's not. Cops and Feds aren't this stupid.
  7. Mar 2, 2015
    This show has mediocre plot lines with absolutely no character development. There is nothing to like about the good guys (as they are horrible at their jobs) and there is nothing to really detest about the villain. His victory is only attained by highly unlikely situations, or writer manipulated plot holes. There is also nothing suspenseful about this show. Gore does not mean suspense.This show has mediocre plot lines with absolutely no character development. There is nothing to like about the good guys (as they are horrible at their jobs) and there is nothing to really detest about the villain. His victory is only attained by highly unlikely situations, or writer manipulated plot holes. There is also nothing suspenseful about this show. Gore does not mean suspense. There is seriously nothing about this show to like. With as many amazing shows as there are on TV this really shouldn't be something you're watching. My brother says he loves this show and that I am crazy, yet he is always on his phone throughout the entirety of each and every episode. A show that is good won't drive to your cell phone every episode. Expand
  8. Dec 21, 2014
    I found the first few episodes of season 1 promising and downright scary. Then, moving on , 2/3 or so of the first season is good, but then things take a turn for a worse. Nobody to blame here but the writers. All TV crime shows requires some suspension of belief. Heck, all TV shows do. And almost all movies. But this one asks just too much from the audience. First, we have the mainI found the first few episodes of season 1 promising and downright scary. Then, moving on , 2/3 or so of the first season is good, but then things take a turn for a worse. Nobody to blame here but the writers. All TV crime shows requires some suspension of belief. Heck, all TV shows do. And almost all movies. But this one asks just too much from the audience. First, we have the main villain, who one could say is rip-off of Hannibal Lector, except Lector is far, far more competent. This guy's FOLLOWERS are pretty scary, particularly early in the season, but Carroll himself is just one seriously inept supercriminal. And these cops, oh, these cops are dumb. They're the kind of dumb that makes TV audiences yell at the screen, 'No, you idiot, don't put your gun down!," "What?? Are you nuts? Look out behind you!" That kind of thing. Worst, this series requires belief in a premise that makes no sense. I kept hoping they'd get me to the point that I'd buy it, but it never happened. How, exactly, were these people "recruited" into a murderous cult through interactions with Carroll while he was in prison? By talking to him for a few minutes through milky plexiglas while visiting him in prison? It just doesn't makes sense and not enough effort went into that backstory. Still will give it a few points, as Kevin Bacon turns in pretty decent performances, as do a few stand-out cast members. And, there's some fun in yelling at dumb FBI agents on the screen. Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2014
    I watch a lot of murder mysteries...Im a bit disappointed with this one. Police are total fools, including Kevin's character. First, we learn over time that the death row seriel killer has dozens of visitors...hmmm....nobody questions that, and really he is allowed to use the library and the internet in prison....hahahaha. After his first escape and capture they realize what he isI watch a lot of murder mysteries...Im a bit disappointed with this one. Police are total fools, including Kevin's character. First, we learn over time that the death row seriel killer has dozens of visitors...hmmm....nobody questions that, and really he is allowed to use the library and the internet in prison....hahahaha. After his first escape and capture they realize what he is about...about his unknown followers etc. Then a 2nd escape...that was so ridiculous...so does his lawyer really believe after she was tortured and threatened he would keep her alive after she helps him escape. And other characters.. How many times do you almost get killed, or you lose partners do you continue to try and deal with situations way out in the boonies in abandanded large buildings by yourself or with one other fellow officer? Even once they know they are targets by his followers (no protection details)...the entire series and its failure to catch the killer and his followers are all about idiot police and FBI.....even the wife of the seriel killer is stupid more then once tries to go on her own....all these followers and police/fbi people seem to think they wont get killed left to their own devices when dealing with the killer. Seems incredibliy irrational. Expand
  10. Nov 3, 2014
    I too love Kevin Bacon and was rearing to love this series. But it turns out a complete Disappointment. Days of our lives in thriller version. A never ending episode story, with numerous characters appearing from the dead, an antagonist that doesn't end and a hero that is literally always a second too late. Someone should fire the scriptwriter! Never watching another episode again.
  11. Oct 28, 2014
    I will give it a 1 for Kevin Bacon. I have always thought he was a capable actor and he is not to blame for the problems with this series. It simply is a badly written series which tries to make up for a lack of originality with gratuitous blood and gruesome murders which cannot even be shown on fox properly. It ends up being a terrible mashup of CSI, True Detective, and Footloose (ok notI will give it a 1 for Kevin Bacon. I have always thought he was a capable actor and he is not to blame for the problems with this series. It simply is a badly written series which tries to make up for a lack of originality with gratuitous blood and gruesome murders which cannot even be shown on fox properly. It ends up being a terrible mashup of CSI, True Detective, and Footloose (ok not so much but just because Bacon is in it). STAY AWAY and use your precious TV time on better shows. Expand
  12. Sep 11, 2014
    Kevin Bacon has always had a track record of lending his name and talent (a marginal one) to some pretty good films over the years, I guess he didn't care to continue the pattern in this shift to Television. I have never seen a more show consistently deliver stupid at every turn. The premise would have served a two hour movie well, but falls flat on it's face on the small screen. TheKevin Bacon has always had a track record of lending his name and talent (a marginal one) to some pretty good films over the years, I guess he didn't care to continue the pattern in this shift to Television. I have never seen a more show consistently deliver stupid at every turn. The premise would have served a two hour movie well, but falls flat on it's face on the small screen. The writing is amateurish, the acting is average (though the actors are made to look less than average thanks to the dreadful writing) Forget about the over top violence, which serves no purpose than provide red meat for an audience that is not interested in a well acted, written and paced show. The plot turns are implausibly ridiculous and after awhile, no matter how incredibly stupid the plot turns are, they become laughably predictable. Worst show I've seen on TV in a while. They say that TV these days is better than the Big Screen, The Following is a great argument against that sentiment. Expand
  13. Sep 8, 2014
    An interesting insight into cult life, as well as a brilliant crime procedural. Kevin Bacon is all class, and my crush on James Purefoy knows no bounds.
  14. Jul 11, 2014
    I don't know who wrote these scripts, all characters seem to have less than 50 IQ including FBI agents and Policemen, even my kids think these characters are "Unreal"... Put some logic and common sense in these characters please!!!!
  15. Jul 9, 2014
    This show is brilliant. I don't understand how one cannot seem to enjoy it or find even the least bit of interesting. I am hooked on this show. By far the best show I've ever watched in my lifetime. I think people that are saying negative things about the show didn't actually pay attention to it. Their loss. It's a great show and I cannot wait until season 3 airs!!
  16. Jun 24, 2014
    This show is entertaining and pretty violent, but that's it. The show is only getting a 4 with me because I was entertained. The show was nothing special. I'm not even watching the second season.
  17. May 7, 2014
    ADHD TV. With the series "24" started it all. Series where each second / minute a new surprising twist occurs.

It is believed "X" as an accomplice. But it is not. Not yet. Later maybe, but think about it then again different. At the end she turns he / she might still by, or is the / the smartest, the even pulling the strings. Anything can happen. Every moment. Just horrible. Unbearable

Anything can happen. Every moment. Just horrible. Unbearable illogical.
    Example: The poor kidnapped child would be totally stupid already, not to remember what happened. Alone dese fact is unreasonable for the spectator.

Kevon Bacon overtakes my opinion the same fate as Christopher Lambert. A good movie (Lambert: Highlander 1) in the filmography, the rest then scrap. Which was actually the only good movie with Kevin Bacon? It does not matter.

The Following is outstanding bad. Can be useful in the Film Academy, as a cautionary example of how not to do it.
  18. May 3, 2014
    This show exhales ridiculous amounts of **** There is literally nothing of merit in this show. Kevin Bacon is average, the rest of the cast is rubbish, only James Purefoy is half-decent. The writing is non-existent. Natalie Zea is hot. Shame, because another network drama about a serial killer, Hannibal, aired at roughly the same time and is infinitely better.
  19. Apr 20, 2014
    This show is quite possibly the biggest piece of **** ever to be shown on TV. Wow, Kevin Bacon must really need the money. I would rather have my fingernails pulled out than see another second of this trash. I can't believe anyone with a pulse would watch this silly rubbish! Whew what a turd!
  20. Apr 19, 2014
    Suspenseful and action packed. Each episode ends with a wanting to see the next one. There is a ridiculous amount of killing and gore in the show. There's a lot of repetition in the plot. By that I mean the same point is accomplished in 2 episodes when it could easily be accomplished in 1. Overall a great show and worth watching.
  21. Mar 24, 2014
    You would think how far can a story line go with a serial killer and followers and not run out of story lines,(meaning stabbing, shooting, strangling etc..) but I am impressed every week how the show has grown and I love the acting it is phenomenal!
  22. Mar 22, 2014
    Some of the worst writing. The dialogue is ridiculously dumb, and destroys any chance at this show being watchable. Sad, because Kevin Bacon is fun to watch.
  23. Mar 21, 2014
    This show is the epitome of lazy and offensively stupid writing. Step 1: come up with something shocking to put on the screen: people gouging their own eyes out, dismembered cats, Rob Ford descending from the ceiling of a sorority house to kill a bunch of young women, whatever. Step 2: say "it's a cult." As long as there's a cult involved, people don't need to have personalities orThis show is the epitome of lazy and offensively stupid writing. Step 1: come up with something shocking to put on the screen: people gouging their own eyes out, dismembered cats, Rob Ford descending from the ceiling of a sorority house to kill a bunch of young women, whatever. Step 2: say "it's a cult." As long as there's a cult involved, people don't need to have personalities or motivations. They just do whatever the writers need them to do that week, brainwashed by the cult's message that... murder is art, or something. I mean, really, who wouldn't want to give up a career in the FBI or local law enforcement to just settle down and gouge out people's eyes because... well, no reason. It's a cult. Expand
  24. Mar 17, 2014
    The acting is unbalanced. I feel like Kevin Bacon just took this role so he could have what passes for a regular job in Hollywood. The plot is just dumb. The writing is worse.
  25. Mar 10, 2014
    Started watching this show b/c of Kevin Bacon. Got to the 6th episode in season 1 and I had to turn it off. Everyone is randomly a follower. Local police/FBI/SWAT team, unbelievably stupid, not worth watching, terrible.
  26. Mar 9, 2014
    Absolutely terrible excuse for a series. Uninteresting, predictable and tame (the only fear factor comes from the gore). All of the characters I found myself not caring about, leaving me indifferent when they lived or died. The antagonists are boring as well, and the jump scares are predictable as they come.
  27. Feb 5, 2014
    So firstly, this show has great timing, (right when the Dexter series ended), similar plot, more twisted characters and a poetic emphasis. The characters are convincing, loved Annie Parisses part, tragic. The dialogue needs improvement, Kevin Bacon is amazing, looking forward to the next episode and hoping it gets better ! !
  28. Feb 3, 2014
    Was this show originally meant to have "lone" hero, someone working alone to bring down the bad guy?...
    This show makes law enforcement look unbelievably incompetent.
  29. Jan 31, 2014
    Let me keep it simple and tell you - I liked the first 2 episodes but then I just couldn't believe how brain-dead and stupid the characters are in this show. The storyline turns into a unbelievable farce and it seems to me I need to have a good amount of alcohol in my blood believe the dump story. Because of Kevin Bacon and some other actors this series gets 3 points… otherwise it would beLet me keep it simple and tell you - I liked the first 2 episodes but then I just couldn't believe how brain-dead and stupid the characters are in this show. The storyline turns into a unbelievable farce and it seems to me I need to have a good amount of alcohol in my blood believe the dump story. Because of Kevin Bacon and some other actors this series gets 3 points… otherwise it would be 0 points.. Expand
  30. Jan 30, 2014
    As others have written; it is highly unbelievable that so many people would "worship" one man that was a lacklustre writer who had to quit that passion and become a teacher. That is some eal motivation for throwing away ones life away for the sake of one egotistically shallow twits schemes I must say (sarcasm be noted).
    The whole plot should have ended with the swat team storming the
    The whole plot should have ended with the swat team storming the farmhouse. But the fact that the swat "team" only stormed the building with 3 people is laughable. What's even more laughable is that the swat team didn't have the entire area surrounded with no more than 5 swat members.
    There would have been an entire squad of around 12 people. Personally I think the writers halved the squad numbers in order to help keep the show going or the show would probably have ended there. Which it should have. It really should have.
    As for the lawyer, going on live news without consulting the FBI with what Joe Carroll (girl name by the way) had requested her to do. She would have had license suspended and the FBI would have held her "in for questioning" as she would probably have been placed under suspicion for the crap she pulled off.
    Now as for the woman, Claire Matthews, I'm glad she died in the end of the season. All that wondering off on her own was the most irrational part of all the story in this whole season. TWO TIMES she went away to "see her son" and both times she got totally screwed over. And when she tried to escape that cyber geeks lair just to be caught again by the same geek less than a minute later? Well if she closed the door behind her he would have been locked in and thus couldn't catch her. She has a horrible habit of not closing doors behind her. Must have been raised in a barn.
    What really bored me was the fact that there were so many followers. It was like a god damned union of murderous rejects all coming together under a single banner called Joe. I think the writers were aiming for "lets make people get surprised by having random people turn out to be followers!" ... only it wasn't surprising.. it was more... "oh look, another one loser..."
    This show gets 3 points and here are the reasons. Kevin Bacon, Kevin Bacon, and the fact that the series finally ended before it got too **** stupid...

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Part Greek tragedy, part “Silence of the Lambs” offspring, The Following has an intriguing premise that almost rises above its layered plotting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    The Following, compelling and frustrating from its opening credits, sets viewers up for a season-long, blood-soaked rematch between an evil intellectual and his law-enforcement nemesis.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    [A] somewhat overheated but still fairly effective new thriller.