The Following : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
5.8

1. Apr 24, 2013
    I don't understand why people are giving The Following such bad reviews. I haven't seen such an exciting, tense, original, risky show since the times of Lost and Prison Break. OK, so one of the complaints is that it isn't 'realistic' which at some points it isn't particularly when it's anything to do with Claire who seems to do the complete opposite of what the audience expects. However,I don't understand why people are giving The Following such bad reviews. I haven't seen such an exciting, tense, original, risky show since the times of Lost and Prison Break. OK, so one of the complaints is that it isn't 'realistic' which at some points it isn't particularly when it's anything to do with Claire who seems to do the complete opposite of what the audience expects. However, these negative reviewers seem to think that they know exactly how people would act in real life in the situations that occur in the show when in fact, like me, the closest they have ever got to similar situations is watching them on TV. The casting is brilliant and from the very beginning I have been riveted once you get past the OTT goriness (particularly the stuff in the first two episodes). A truly brilliant show that will keep you on the edge of your seat and screaming at the telly Expand
  2. Apr 26, 2013
    As a clinical forensic shrink it baffles me that the complex motivations driving cult behaviour and psychopathy are not better developed. The penal/justice system and its representatives are completely misconstrued. The level of gore is disturbing! The script is terrible and plot ridiculous.
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    This show is EVIL and stunningly preposterous in its plotting. The characters are morons. I hate this show. If one psychopath commits a crime imitating this contemptible series Fox should be sued into oblivion. Does that network have NO standards and practices department?
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    This show gets worse by the week. I find myself fast forwarding through many of the never ending filler scenes. May have been OK if there had only been 6 or 8 episodes but 60% of the show is filler. I only have kept watching to see Joe finally get what he should have gotten long ago. And have you ever seen dumber police work? Ever episode contains at least one instance in which either dumbThis show gets worse by the week. I find myself fast forwarding through many of the never ending filler scenes. May have been OK if there had only been 6 or 8 episodes but 60% of the show is filler. I only have kept watching to see Joe finally get what he should have gotten long ago. And have you ever seen dumber police work? Ever episode contains at least one instance in which either dumb or sloppy work leads to disaster. Pleeeeeeease don't keep this story line going into another season. I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't tune in any more. Kevin Bacon is the only thing thing that makes the show even half watchable. Expand
  5. Apr 29, 2013
    The first couple of episodes started out really well, the characters are interesting, the background story seemed to be though out and the plot seemed plausible.
    However after episode five it just all starts to get so unbelievable, especially after it was labeled as a thriller suspense series.
    If you want to keep people interested I would suggest, to spend some of the budget on bringing in some expert's who will advice you how FBI agents or any law enforcement officer might react in certain situations and write the scene accordingly.
    The whole show is lacking thought out dialogs and professional input and gets just to unbelievable the more the show continues.
    You want to see how a Profiler reacts when being pressured? Watch the original TV series "Profiler" 1996-2000 on NBC. That was a great series.
    Or watch the BBC series "Luther" to see how a man reacts when walking on the edge, both highly recommended and you can find them on the internet.
  6. Apr 29, 2013
    I have to say that I can see why certain people with no imagination may give this show poor reviews. This is a work of fiction. This is not reality TV, although stranger, even more evil, and crazy cults have existed throughout history. Look at Charles Manson & his followers, for example. After just watching the finale, and as a loyal viewer all season, I found that I thoroughly enjoyedI have to say that I can see why certain people with no imagination may give this show poor reviews. This is a work of fiction. This is not reality TV, although stranger, even more evil, and crazy cults have existed throughout history. Look at Charles Manson & his followers, for example. After just watching the finale, and as a loyal viewer all season, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed every single episode, as did my husband. I can't say that I never rolled my eyes as someone made a stupid decision, but in the end I was always completely entertained and waiting for the next installment. The acting was superb, especially by Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy, & the actress who plays Claire (forgot her name). It was fast paced & thrilling. You never knew what was going to happen or who would die. It kept me on the edge of my seat all season long. After reading through these reviews, it's pretty clear that most who wrote negative reviews didn't watch the whole season. Actually they didn't give it much of a chance after a couple episodes, so how can they really judge the whole show? I can say for certain that bad judgement calls are made, but these are humans...it wasn't as bad as some are saying. I would recommend this show if you like the genre & you have an open mind. I can't wait for season 2! Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I 1st heard of this show, I was quite excited, I thought FOX might
    come up with a new, innovated crime drama that pushes the edges of what
    we have seen so far. Suffice to say this was far far far from that.

Right from the 1st episode you know this show is stupid. This
    situations presented are so far fetched that they at times just make
    you laugh rather than anything else. A serial killer who manages to
    charm 100+ followers into organising themselves and carrying out
    coordinated attacks......all while being locked up in jail. If that's
    hard to swallow the police response to this will leave you gagging.

You would think that a nation wide band of crazy serial killers would
    warrant some sort of elite task force or something of that sort, but
    instead we have a small group of barely 5 people who seem to be
    managing everything.....badly. They are assisted by Kevin Bacon's
    character, your standard bad-ass do-gooder who is the center of
    attention and has a bunch of 1-liners. Together they manage to
    accomplish next to nothing.

As the story progresses the plot gets sketcher and sketcher, characters
    start dying like flies. You would think that would add a sense of
    realism to the show, but honestly it is just annoying. You find that a
    character you liked and who's story you wanted to keep watching just
    ends up getting murdered rather casually. By the end of the show most
    of the characters are dead and you feel like you've just seen a crappy
    slasher flick.

All that being said, the show is still entertaining, in the absolute
    basic sense of that word, like how watching watching clowns shoot
    plastic arrows at each other is entertaining.

To sum up, don't expect much from this show, however if you want to
    kill some time, it'll do that for you.

(Season 1 review)
  8. Apr 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is episodic TV, based on a very unusual premise, so to enjoy the series I was able to suspend my disbelief. I understood that the plot, and some of its suppositions, were fairly preposterous, but I accepted that. I understood that we needed to throw geography to the wind, as characters traveled between Upstate New York and Virginia like it's around the block. But, its a TV show, the acting is good, the main characters are interesting, and so I went with it.

But I now have had enough. I will not watch Season 2, as I can only suspend my disbelief so far. I cannot keep watching a show that features, in every episode, FBI agent after FBI agent being outwitted, outflanked, and over-matched by crazy loons who quote Edgar Allen Poe. Sorry, but I am sick of watching FBI agents enter dark rooms alone, with no back-up, and demonstrating not the slightest bit of professional expertise. C'mon, how many times can we watch FBI agents that know less about surveillance and stalking an adversary than some crazy housewife who killed her husband and realized she liked it?

Sorry, the scene in the final episode where a key FBI agent is captured, leading to that character's demise, had me wanting to punch my TV screen. How stupid are FBI agents, after all? If they are that stupid, then why am I watching them?
  9. May 2, 2013
    I am so sick of this show, writers really think we believe all the nonsense they write??? Come on! All the FBI is trying to catch Joe Carrol, but it really seems that Hardy is all the time absolutely alone... We do have brains people! where is the common sense? I feel offended by this production.
  10. May 14, 2013
    The writing is poor, the story is unrealistic and uninteresting. A decent cast and acting, however; the suspension of disbelief required makes The Following is completely unwatchable. Hannibal and Bates Motel are far better in the thiller/horror genre. I can't believe a show this poor was renewed.
  11. May 14, 2013
    Unconvincing and utterly silly. This would have worked for 2 maybe 3 episodes at best, but a whole season of lunacy?

Bacon is good, but he can't save the show from the absurdity of the story.
  12. May 16, 2013
    The biggest load of crap I have ever seen. How many times will this fool have the prison doors opened for him. By series end the whole planet will be a signed up following member.
  13. May 17, 2013
    I tried to love this show really at first, coz I love the big fan of thriller and loved Kevin Bacon.
    But I realized that this show is a wreck job after a few episodes.
    No probability of the plot and the no sympathy for the main character by Kevin Bacon. Episode after episode, I hate the character, Ryan the former FBI played by Kevin Bacon more and more for his lameass judgement and
    But I realized that this show is a wreck job after a few episodes.
    for his lameass judgement and the lack of objectivity.
    And FBIs have no plan to file a suit againt this show about describing the FBI as being stupid and useless?
    Please please cancel this show season 2~~because the money spent to make this crap is really worthless.
  14. May 25, 2013
    This honestly could have been one of the greatest shows in modern TV. It has a perfect, unusual theme. A serial killer with serial killer followers forming a blood thirsty cult. However, after a few episodes, the show becomes exhausting. Nothing is believable anymore. Absolutely nothing. The bad guys are inexplicably smarter than well-trained FBI agents and they outsmart them at every turnThis honestly could have been one of the greatest shows in modern TV. It has a perfect, unusual theme. A serial killer with serial killer followers forming a blood thirsty cult. However, after a few episodes, the show becomes exhausting. Nothing is believable anymore. Absolutely nothing. The bad guys are inexplicably smarter than well-trained FBI agents and they outsmart them at every turn in every episode. Even the foundation of the show is weak; it is really hard to believe or understand why so many people would follow Joe Carroll, much less kill for him. What a waste of concept. Shame! Expand
  15. Mar 24, 2014
    You would think how far can a story line go with a serial killer and followers and not run out of story lines,(meaning stabbing, shooting, strangling etc..) but I am impressed every week how the show has grown and I love the acting it is phenomenal!
  16. Sep 8, 2014
    An interesting insight into cult life, as well as a brilliant crime procedural. Kevin Bacon is all class, and my crush on James Purefoy knows no bounds.
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    The concept of The Following is excellent, and I like that the cult is based on something like Edger Allen Poe. The first few episodes were quite good but as the series went on there seemed to be a struggle with the length of the plot as a result there was a need for stupid and quite annoying actions of many of the characters especially Claire who seem to fail to realize that SHE was theThe concept of The Following is excellent, and I like that the cult is based on something like Edger Allen Poe. The first few episodes were quite good but as the series went on there seemed to be a struggle with the length of the plot as a result there was a need for stupid and quite annoying actions of many of the characters especially Claire who seem to fail to realize that SHE was the advantage the FBI had over the cult thus these actions ruined the experience for me. If the writers had added some episodes that were based more on the back stories of the characters like Ryan or Joe Carroll then maybe the stupid actions and over lengthened plot could have been avoided and maybe they could have gotten more than 15 episodes. It is a good concept and interesting plot but there are some flaws that should be rectified in order to perfect this series. Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    The show was attractive at first for its premise and Kevin Bacon. However.its become a how-to-become a serial killer manual and showcase for the bumbling FBI and police. I dont see the charm or hold Joe Carroll has on his followers. And no one seems to have a moral conscience on this show. Not the writers, producers or any of the characters except for maybe 2. Its hard to watch. I usuallyThe show was attractive at first for its premise and Kevin Bacon. However.its become a how-to-become a serial killer manual and showcase for the bumbling FBI and police. I dont see the charm or hold Joe Carroll has on his followers. And no one seems to have a moral conscience on this show. Not the writers, producers or any of the characters except for maybe 2. Its hard to watch. I usually have to fast forward through some scenes. Even True Blood has more of a moral conscience and less reprehensible characters than The Following. Not sure if I'll watch season 2. Expand
  19. Jan 16, 2014
    watching this show has been one of the best thrill rides I've ever been on, I was left wanting more at the end of every single episode especially the finale. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy have an amazing dynamic and Natalie Zea was a perfect choice for the damsel in distress. I'm not sure why this show is getting such bad reviews, all I can say is it's not for the faint of heart...
  20. Aug 29, 2013
    Great acting, cinematography, some good writing, great characters, but got more and more predictable as the season. How many dark hallways can Bacon go down alone before we just get tired? The police are duped way too easily and the cult members seem to know everything, whether its plausible or not. Did the writers run out of clever ideas? I loved the show and watched the entire season,Great acting, cinematography, some good writing, great characters, but got more and more predictable as the season. How many dark hallways can Bacon go down alone before we just get tired? The police are duped way too easily and the cult members seem to know everything, whether its plausible or not. Did the writers run out of clever ideas? I loved the show and watched the entire season, but go angry when the twists and turns became more and more ridiculous, only capped by the absolutely absurd ending of the first season. I just wanted to throw soup at the TV, but can't wait for next season! Expand
  21. Oct 19, 2013
    Excellent, intriguing storyline. Kevin Bacon is amazing too. I don't understand all the negative reviews. They are probably talking about another show
  22. Oct 19, 2013
    Amazing show from beginning to end. If you like English Literature, the plot is inspiring. Kevin Bacon is back to his best. Brilliant inter-episode links!
  23. Oct 25, 2013
    The plot makes the FBI total bumbling idiots which is not true. They shoot but don't hit what they aim at really? The bad guys get all the breaks. This is like watching a vampire series but with psycho serial killers instead. They feast as a group just like vampires. With different music it could be a comedy of screw ups. Who ever writes these episodes has serious problems of theThe plot makes the FBI total bumbling idiots which is not true. They shoot but don't hit what they aim at really? The bad guys get all the breaks. This is like watching a vampire series but with psycho serial killers instead. They feast as a group just like vampires. With different music it could be a comedy of screw ups. Who ever writes these episodes has serious problems of the definition of entertainment. Why not just make a series about native American Indians in the 1700 or 1800s kill each others tribes. That's all this show is about is quasi-civilized so called normal humans giving each other permission to kill without guilt. Expand
  24. Nov 1, 2013
    The show started well if gory and gratuitously violent but lost it's originality by week 4. Now it's the same graphic bloody mess week after week. I've discovered if I watch the first 3 minutes and the last 7 I get the whole story without watching fingers get cut off, police officers shooting each other in a blood bath and FBI being buried alive. The show is boring.
  25. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great pilot and plot. Honestly, this show fell off for me several episodes in because the plot became predictable cops always one step behind the cult, cops get close to spoiling cults plans, cults outsmart the cops... for satisfaction, every other episode, Kevin Bacon kills a not-so-important member, and everyone is happy until... (repeats cycle).

My frustration is that this show paints the police as totally incompetent in the common sense department. Do you really think it's best to split up and go solo through an unknown building? Do you really not think of drawing up a plan to stop the bad guy's get-away car before you swarm into a building? I guess that's entertainment though... root for the "not-so-smart but potentially amazing dark hero"... Love Kevin Bacon but I may part ways with this series after I finish this season (13/15 episodes)
  26. Jan 2, 2014
    Every piece of fiction requires a suspension of disbelief to fully enjoy it. To enjoy this show requires suspension of reason. It's an underwhelming display of cat and mouse police work that makes waste of an intriguing premise, and since the writers aren't clever enough to write intelligent villains, the plot is shoved forward by the incompetence of the heroes. The characters here doEvery piece of fiction requires a suspension of disbelief to fully enjoy it. To enjoy this show requires suspension of reason. It's an underwhelming display of cat and mouse police work that makes waste of an intriguing premise, and since the writers aren't clever enough to write intelligent villains, the plot is shoved forward by the incompetence of the heroes. The characters here do very little actual thinking, just blundering forward to satisfy a plot that eschews logic for some cheap attempts at shock value. Efforts to evoke dramatic tension induce laughter. The show expects a viewer to believe that people would behave in flatly unbelievable ways, and the result can be insulting. Expand
  27. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit it, The Following had me hooked from beginning to end due to the numerous twists and surprisingly (in my opinion) sad love story of Jacob and Paul. I'll also say that I loved both Purefoy and Bacon's acting. Purefoy is definitely a high spot for the show. However, to keep enjoying the show I had to really, really suspend disbelief and common sense.

For starters, the thought of Joe being able to amass a following of serial killers and other psychotic members without anyone else finding out is nearly unbelievable. Especially considering most of the main characters visit him in prison....where conversations are routinely recorded and listened to by staff. Early on, they seem to address this by Joe telling the visiting followers to not say anything incriminating while there but that doesn't last the whole way and during more flashbacks we see more characters revealing information about killing. I believe Rodrick does this the most.

So, we are also to believe that every person Joe met was immediately mesmerized and didn't become disenchanted by him and go to the police. Or, that none of the followers had any friends or family who became concerned and went to the police.

Aside from that, the biggest, most glaring and already talked about flaw is the police.

Now, I understand that they might have been purposely written this way to show that the good guys don't always win. I'll give the show that much because it is true many times. But the mistakes and ineptitude they constantly display is mindnumbing.

For instance, after Rodrick is discovered by Weston, he runs back to Joe's hideout...in a police squad car that is undoubtedly equipped with gps. But do the FBI track his car? Nope. They go on doing other stuff. This was the point when I nearly stopped watching but decided i'd gone this far so I might as well finish it

I also knew from the start that Claire would die. The writers kept shoving the "Ryan Hardy Death Curse" down our throats so her death became super obvious.

Also, what was with the Agent Parker semi-kinda-sorta swerve at the beginning where she hands Carroll the book in prison? Was that supposed to be a storyline that they changed their minds on or what? By the way, how does a person become a supervising agent when she can't even shoot a gun straight? Did I mention that Hardy kills nearly everyone he shoots at with one shot?

It really seemed like the writers just ran out of creative ideas when they showed that Molly was a follower. I didn't see that coming but once they revealed it I laughed a little at how predictable it should have been. I mean, is everyone in the FBI, local PD and Hardy's life a follower now or what?

Finally, a semi-automatic handgun does not have a sound. Everytime someone de-holsters their piece they added the sound. It was overly noticeable in the show.

...I'll probably watch Season 2 and hope it gets better but if it doesn't I doubt i'll finish it.
  28. Jan 14, 2014
    I so wanted to like this show and gave it the same 4 or 5 episodes that many others did before saying "I'm done." They portray the FBI and other local police as pure idiots and the other "That would NEVER happen" moments drive me CRAZY! A few of my favorites: An FBI agent would have NEVER left his back to the open front door at the big house. A serial killer doesn't get unlimitedI so wanted to like this show and gave it the same 4 or 5 episodes that many others did before saying "I'm done." They portray the FBI and other local police as pure idiots and the other "That would NEVER happen" moments drive me CRAZY! A few of my favorites: An FBI agent would have NEVER left his back to the open front door at the big house. A serial killer doesn't get unlimited visitors, and ALL of those conversations would be recorded. The masked guy lights man on fire surrounded by people in broad daylight and just walks away without someone stopping him? 2 hours for a swat team to arrive? A prisoner isn't allowed unlimited visits by an attorney and they would never allow a "statement" to be read like that at a press conference. A serial killer would have never been led away for "legal research" in the first place. Bacon's character goes inside the restaurant and his partner takes 30 minutes to come in and save him? I know it's TV but come on. They could have kept this story and with more realism made it so,so, much better. The writers are trying to get us to believe the improbable in the first place. Throwing in so many other Never Happen moments into the show makes it unwatchable. Expand
  29. Jan 18, 2014
    In spite of good acting by leading characters, this is so incredibly predictable and just really.. REALLY.. stupid. The writers should be ashamed of themselves. The director should put himself into the show and kill himself. The producers and network.. well, the dumbing down of America must carry on, yeah?

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!!!
  30. Jan 21, 2014
    What started out as a stylish and interesting thriller completely dissolved into an insipid and ridiculous series of cliches. The writers simply insult the viewers' intelligence with a series of plot twists more unbelievable than the next.
  31. Jan 26, 2014
    The series is very predictable and the actors do a good job overall, but the writing/storyline is awful. People in this series are so stupid and their actions to certain events are really unbelievable in how stupid they are. For example, a follower kills a person in plain daylight with hundreds of people witnessing the event, and the killer just walks out with none of the hundred ofThe series is very predictable and the actors do a good job overall, but the writing/storyline is awful. People in this series are so stupid and their actions to certain events are really unbelievable in how stupid they are. For example, a follower kills a person in plain daylight with hundreds of people witnessing the event, and the killer just walks out with none of the hundred of witnesses doing anything to try to stop the killer. Storyline does not really explain why people would follow this cult except that they have killed before. All personalities are one dimensional. Expand
  32. Jan 31, 2014
    Let me keep it simple and tell you - I liked the first 2 episodes but then I just couldn't believe how brain-dead and stupid the characters are in this show. The storyline turns into a unbelievable farce and it seems to me I need to have a good amount of alcohol in my blood believe the dump story. Because of Kevin Bacon and some other actors this series gets 3 points… otherwise it would beLet me keep it simple and tell you - I liked the first 2 episodes but then I just couldn't believe how brain-dead and stupid the characters are in this show. The storyline turns into a unbelievable farce and it seems to me I need to have a good amount of alcohol in my blood believe the dump story. Because of Kevin Bacon and some other actors this series gets 3 points… otherwise it would be 0 points.. Expand
  33. Feb 3, 2014
    Was this show originally meant to have "lone" hero, someone working alone to bring down the bad guy?...
    This show makes law enforcement look unbelievably incompetent.
  34. Feb 5, 2014
    So firstly, this show has great timing, (right when the Dexter series ended), similar plot, more twisted characters and a poetic emphasis. The characters are convincing, loved Annie Parisses part, tragic. The dialogue needs improvement, Kevin Bacon is amazing, looking forward to the next episode and hoping it gets better ! !
  35. Mar 9, 2014
    Absolutely terrible excuse for a series. Uninteresting, predictable and tame (the only fear factor comes from the gore). All of the characters I found myself not caring about, leaving me indifferent when they lived or died. The antagonists are boring as well, and the jump scares are predictable as they come.
  36. Mar 10, 2014
    Started watching this show b/c of Kevin Bacon. Got to the 6th episode in season 1 and I had to turn it off. Everyone is randomly a follower. Local police/FBI/SWAT team, unbelievably stupid, not worth watching, terrible.
  37. qev
    May 28, 2015
    well, though i know James Purefoy from working all too briefly together on "Rome" a while back, it proved no defence from squirting my pants a wee bit, waiting for the comedy to kick in
  38. Apr 19, 2014
    Suspenseful and action packed. Each episode ends with a wanting to see the next one. There is a ridiculous amount of killing and gore in the show. There's a lot of repetition in the plot. By that I mean the same point is accomplished in 2 episodes when it could easily be accomplished in 1. Overall a great show and worth watching.
  39. Apr 20, 2014
    This show is quite possibly the biggest piece of **** ever to be shown on TV. Wow, Kevin Bacon must really need the money. I would rather have my fingernails pulled out than see another second of this trash. I can't believe anyone with a pulse would watch this silly rubbish! Whew what a turd!
  40. May 3, 2014
    This show exhales ridiculous amounts of **** There is literally nothing of merit in this show. Kevin Bacon is average, the rest of the cast is rubbish, only James Purefoy is half-decent. The writing is non-existent. Natalie Zea is hot. Shame, because another network drama about a serial killer, Hannibal, aired at roughly the same time and is infinitely better.
  41. May 7, 2014
    ADHD TV. With the series "24" started it all. Series where each second / minute a new surprising twist occurs.

It is believed "X" as an accomplice. But it is not. Not yet. Later maybe, but think about it then again different. At the end she turns he / she might still by, or is the / the smartest, the even pulling the strings. Anything can happen. Every moment. Just horrible. Unbearable

Anything can happen. Every moment. Just horrible. Unbearable illogical.
    Example: The poor kidnapped child would be totally stupid already, not to remember what happened. Alone dese fact is unreasonable for the spectator.

Kevon Bacon overtakes my opinion the same fate as Christopher Lambert. A good movie (Lambert: Highlander 1) in the filmography, the rest then scrap. Which was actually the only good movie with Kevin Bacon? It does not matter.

The Following is outstanding bad. Can be useful in the Film Academy, as a cautionary example of how not to do it.
  42. Apr 5, 2015
    Imagine if someone was inspired by the ridiculous plot holes in the Dexter finale to write a whole show. That's the Following in a nutshell. I'll try to be as brief as possible as to why this whole thing is simply insultingly preposterous.

-Cults don't work like this. To start a cult you need a charismatic leader with some type of guiding philosophy made to inspire. All this leader does is simply recruit other psychopaths. This could be negligible if not for the fact that it's the entire premise of the show.
    -Everyone on the show (except the killers) is a TOTAL F---ING MORON. The writers use this to make their story happen. It's cheap, lazy, and ignorant, but they can get away with it because in today's world lack of realism is, to some people, apparently only a problem if used for happy endings rather than sad ones. It's discouraging really. Horror genre diehards will defend the show saying stuff like "this is the real world. killers get away." But it's not. Cops and Feds aren't this stupid.
  43. Jul 9, 2014
    This show is brilliant. I don't understand how one cannot seem to enjoy it or find even the least bit of interesting. I am hooked on this show. By far the best show I've ever watched in my lifetime. I think people that are saying negative things about the show didn't actually pay attention to it. Their loss. It's a great show and I cannot wait until season 3 airs!!
  44. Jul 11, 2014
    I don't know who wrote these scripts, all characters seem to have less than 50 IQ including FBI agents and Policemen, even my kids think these characters are "Unreal"... Put some logic and common sense in these characters please!!!!
  45. Nov 3, 2014
    I too love Kevin Bacon and was rearing to love this series. But it turns out a complete Disappointment. Days of our lives in thriller version. A never ending episode story, with numerous characters appearing from the dead, an antagonist that doesn't end and a hero that is literally always a second too late. Someone should fire the scriptwriter! Never watching another episode again.
  46. Oct 28, 2014
    I will give it a 1 for Kevin Bacon. I have always thought he was a capable actor and he is not to blame for the problems with this series. It simply is a badly written series which tries to make up for a lack of originality with gratuitous blood and gruesome murders which cannot even be shown on fox properly. It ends up being a terrible mashup of CSI, True Detective, and Footloose (ok notI will give it a 1 for Kevin Bacon. I have always thought he was a capable actor and he is not to blame for the problems with this series. It simply is a badly written series which tries to make up for a lack of originality with gratuitous blood and gruesome murders which cannot even be shown on fox properly. It ends up being a terrible mashup of CSI, True Detective, and Footloose (ok not so much but just because Bacon is in it). STAY AWAY and use your precious TV time on better shows. Expand
  47. Nov 24, 2014
    I watch a lot of murder mysteries...Im a bit disappointed with this one. Police are total fools, including Kevin's character. First, we learn over time that the death row seriel killer has dozens of visitors...hmmm....nobody questions that, and really he is allowed to use the library and the internet in prison....hahahaha. After his first escape and capture they realize what he isI watch a lot of murder mysteries...Im a bit disappointed with this one. Police are total fools, including Kevin's character. First, we learn over time that the death row seriel killer has dozens of visitors...hmmm....nobody questions that, and really he is allowed to use the library and the internet in prison....hahahaha. After his first escape and capture they realize what he is about...about his unknown followers etc. Then a 2nd escape...that was so ridiculous...so does his lawyer really believe after she was tortured and threatened he would keep her alive after she helps him escape. And other characters.. How many times do you almost get killed, or you lose partners do you continue to try and deal with situations way out in the boonies in abandanded large buildings by yourself or with one other fellow officer? Even once they know they are targets by his followers (no protection details)...the entire series and its failure to catch the killer and his followers are all about idiot police and FBI.....even the wife of the seriel killer is stupid more then once tries to go on her own....all these followers and police/fbi people seem to think they wont get killed left to their own devices when dealing with the killer. Seems incredibliy irrational. Expand
  48. Dec 21, 2014
    I found the first few episodes of season 1 promising and downright scary. Then, moving on , 2/3 or so of the first season is good, but then things take a turn for a worse. Nobody to blame here but the writers. All TV crime shows requires some suspension of belief. Heck, all TV shows do. And almost all movies. But this one asks just too much from the audience. First, we have the mainI found the first few episodes of season 1 promising and downright scary. Then, moving on , 2/3 or so of the first season is good, but then things take a turn for a worse. Nobody to blame here but the writers. All TV crime shows requires some suspension of belief. Heck, all TV shows do. And almost all movies. But this one asks just too much from the audience. First, we have the main villain, who one could say is rip-off of Hannibal Lector, except Lector is far, far more competent. This guy's FOLLOWERS are pretty scary, particularly early in the season, but Carroll himself is just one seriously inept supercriminal. And these cops, oh, these cops are dumb. They're the kind of dumb that makes TV audiences yell at the screen, 'No, you idiot, don't put your gun down!," "What?? Are you nuts? Look out behind you!" That kind of thing. Worst, this series requires belief in a premise that makes no sense. I kept hoping they'd get me to the point that I'd buy it, but it never happened. How, exactly, were these people "recruited" into a murderous cult through interactions with Carroll while he was in prison? By talking to him for a few minutes through milky plexiglas while visiting him in prison? It just doesn't makes sense and not enough effort went into that backstory. Still will give it a few points, as Kevin Bacon turns in pretty decent performances, as do a few stand-out cast members. And, there's some fun in yelling at dumb FBI agents on the screen. Expand
  49. May 15, 2015
    I'm disappointed that this show has been cancelled. Fox has acted upon the declining ratings but The Following was a fine series. Kevin Bacon's character is believably flawed, and the Theo character could have adequately replaced Joe Carroll. Shame.
  50. Mar 2, 2015
    This show has mediocre plot lines with absolutely no character development. There is nothing to like about the good guys (as they are horrible at their jobs) and there is nothing to really detest about the villain. His victory is only attained by highly unlikely situations, or writer manipulated plot holes. There is also nothing suspenseful about this show. Gore does not mean suspense.This show has mediocre plot lines with absolutely no character development. There is nothing to like about the good guys (as they are horrible at their jobs) and there is nothing to really detest about the villain. His victory is only attained by highly unlikely situations, or writer manipulated plot holes. There is also nothing suspenseful about this show. Gore does not mean suspense. There is seriously nothing about this show to like. With as many amazing shows as there are on TV this really shouldn't be something you're watching. My brother says he loves this show and that I am crazy, yet he is always on his phone throughout the entirety of each and every episode. A show that is good won't drive to your cell phone every episode. Expand
  51. Jan 14, 2016
    How this series made it through three seasons is beyond me. It was torture getting through the first season as it plodded along painfully, and I waited for it to gain some momentum. Actually, I thought it had potential in the beginning and was getting into it a bit. But it became so ridiculous and far-fetched that the most I got out of it was muscle strain from all the head-shaking andHow this series made it through three seasons is beyond me. It was torture getting through the first season as it plodded along painfully, and I waited for it to gain some momentum. Actually, I thought it had potential in the beginning and was getting into it a bit. But it became so ridiculous and far-fetched that the most I got out of it was muscle strain from all the head-shaking and eye-rolling. The only reason I didn't give up was because I didn't know there were three seasons until I realized by episode 15 that there wasn't going to be a resolution. I would rather have my eyes cut out than to sit through another episode. What a disappointment! Expand
  52. Feb 4, 2016
    Acting is decent, not great. Plotline is purely ridiculous and eventually had me screaming at the TV at the idiocy of the FBI and police as they blunder into convenient mistakes to help the sad little man at the center of it all lead his mindless followers on murder sprees. I made it to episode 8 of season one, when the mastermind escapes due to ridiculously contrived scenarios that had meActing is decent, not great. Plotline is purely ridiculous and eventually had me screaming at the TV at the idiocy of the FBI and police as they blunder into convenient mistakes to help the sad little man at the center of it all lead his mindless followers on murder sprees. I made it to episode 8 of season one, when the mastermind escapes due to ridiculously contrived scenarios that had me guessing he escaped by the very second they mentioned he requested a transfer. Just too ridiculous, I couldn't keep watching. There is seemingly no reason for the mastermind's followers to be so devoted, given they have no overarching cause besides "follow what Joe says" and "kill random people because you can". Joe isn't charming or even clever, he's a pathetic creep that wants revenge for being caught after killing people and making it all about Poe. It's just bad, I just can't watch it and take it seriously. Expand
  53. Jan 26, 2017
    Wow! How unbelievably bad. The plot is just completely farcical. Would have been better to add some humour and make this into a satire or parody. The 'twists' are blazé, the attempt at battle of wits and clever cat and mouse are completely absent. Just a series of completely unrealistic events that just make you feel cheated for having taken up download space on Amozon...

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Part Greek tragedy, part “Silence of the Lambs” offspring, The Following has an intriguing premise that almost rises above its layered plotting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    The Following, compelling and frustrating from its opening credits, sets viewers up for a season-long, blood-soaked rematch between an evil intellectual and his law-enforcement nemesis.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    [A] somewhat overheated but still fairly effective new thriller.