• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
5.8

1. Apr 19, 2014
    Suspenseful and action packed. Each episode ends with a wanting to see the next one. There is a ridiculous amount of killing and gore in the show. There's a lot of repetition in the plot. By that I mean the same point is accomplished in 2 episodes when it could easily be accomplished in 1. Overall a great show and worth watching.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    The first episode like "do no harm" was promising, sick, twisted but cool. however, it's starting to become dumb and frustrating to watch mainly b/c kevin bacon's character is so woosy, always one step behind the killer, almost like a 1/2 pint no 1/4 pint Jack Bauer. I keep thinking that if Jack Bauer was involved, he would've kick this killer's arse in less than a day. like in few minutesThe first episode like "do no harm" was promising, sick, twisted but cool. however, it's starting to become dumb and frustrating to watch mainly b/c kevin bacon's character is so woosy, always one step behind the killer, almost like a 1/2 pint no 1/4 pint Jack Bauer. I keep thinking that if Jack Bauer was involved, he would've kick this killer's arse in less than a day. like in few minutes by waterboarding him to confess etc. Kevin is just this clueless trying to do good but always little too late. I guess everyone can't be like Jack, but still kevin's slow response to most things makes it a turn off to watch. Expand
  3. Feb 3, 2013
    The Following is definitely darker in tone than the average network TV show, which is a fact that Fox tried to capitalize on when advertising it ("You won't believe it's not on cable!"). While it's not as ambitious as some of the shows you'll see on FX or AMC, it is a solid crime drama. The Following benefits from a strong cast portraying an interesting set of characters. Obviously,The Following is definitely darker in tone than the average network TV show, which is a fact that Fox tried to capitalize on when advertising it ("You won't believe it's not on cable!"). While it's not as ambitious as some of the shows you'll see on FX or AMC, it is a solid crime drama. The Following benefits from a strong cast portraying an interesting set of characters. Obviously, Kevin Bacon gives a stellar performance, but I'm equally impressed by Natalie Zea and James Purefoy, as well as some of the actors portraying secondary characters. So far, the story line has been fun and entertaining, but I'm not sure it goes deep enough to really be engaging for several years. I suppose if The Following does go for more than a season or two, the writers will cross that bridge when they come to it. Overall, I'm enjoying The Following, and feel that it's worth checking out. Expand
  4. Feb 4, 2013
    Sure, understanding the reason for "The Following" is very hard to do in the first couple of episodes. I agree with other people who say the connections between characters are implausible, but then again the series sets a tone that strongly implies that the gaps will be bridged by flashbacks or other means. This however, is arguably the best new show on basic TV right now.
  5. Feb 6, 2013
    Gratuitous Violence! Unbelievable that followers could be manipulated to murder (omigod) college girls.
    Maybe because I am older than the hills and remember Charlie Manson, Jones Town and the Dravidians in Wacko Waco I have less trouble accepting the psychology of the characters. From my perspective the twists and the motives, known and unknown, of the supporting cast are giving me plenty of fun and games for my entertainment dollar. There is a lot worse television...it is fiction folks, not "reality".
  6. Feb 6, 2013
    I think The Following is an incredible show. It's exciting, suspenseful, gory and always keeps you guessing. Kevin Bacon is fantastic. James Purefoy was cast perfectly as the very charismatic (and quite psychotic) serial killer. I think it's a great take on the "cult" phenomenon. I anxiously await every weeks episode just to see where the writers will take us next.
  7. Feb 2, 2013
    The first two episodes of The Following have all the effectiveness and require the same suspension of disbelief as a slasher film, but with elements of a good TV procedural. No TV show has made me jump and say 'Holy (expletive)" If they can keep the intensity, it should be an interesting ride.
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    The Following delivers.........interesting plot, great performance by Kevin Bacon and Jeremy Purefoy, awesome suspense and good twists at the end, make the pilot one of the best episodes I watched this year so far.
  9. Jan 21, 2013
    Kevin Bacon is great in pretty much everything he does, but I think he's going to out do himself if this series continues. I think it's a great start to what could be a very memorable, if not bloody series. The episode seemed to come in waves, often divulging into the past for context. The moments that grab you are evenly paced throughout the episode, and each moment gets more intense asKevin Bacon is great in pretty much everything he does, but I think he's going to out do himself if this series continues. I think it's a great start to what could be a very memorable, if not bloody series. The episode seemed to come in waves, often divulging into the past for context. The moments that grab you are evenly paced throughout the episode, and each moment gets more intense as the episode goes on, something that FOX shows as of late have severely lacked. For the last few years, the FOX lineup seems to be a shows destined to last maybe a season or two at best. That Christian Slater show was somehow brought back even after the terrible ratings, but FOX blew it on things like Terra Nova and the Chicago Code(which had potential). The Following does not fit into these molds, because FOX didn't over do it like all the other shows. Nothing is forced, the acting is very natural especially from Ze Bacon (my nickname for him), and the story likes to jump out and stab you a few times just to make sure you haven't lost interest. It's gory too, which I found a bit surprising at first considering how FOX is somewhat family friendly. I took this directly from the wikipedia page and I think it's kinda humorous:

"To slip gory scenes past the Standards and Practices department at Fox Broadcasting, Williamson explained, "There are tricks... Okay, in the same episode there's an actor cutting someone in the jugular, and you're harping on the sex scene? So I sent a little email to [Fox Entertainment chairman] Kevin Reilly, and within 15 minutes the broadcast-and-standards people were like, It's okay."[4]

To conclude I would like to say I've given all of the latest FOX dramas a shot, from Fringe and Lie to Me, to the Chicago Code and Terra Nova. Fringe was the only one that I thought was decent, just because the story was original(and i tend to love shows that have former members of The Wire on them). Lie to Me had god awful acting and directing, Terra Nova was a colossal waste of a potentially good idea, and The Chicago Code couldn't flashdance it's way into the viewers hearts, which was very disappointing. I think the Following will have a good following and will bring back viewers that FOX is so desperately needing right now, provided enough people stay with it, and so far I've seen nothing but good reviews.
  10. Mar 26, 2013
    I'm at a 7 rating after 7 episodes. Fairly gory at times but edge of the seat waiting for the next shoe to drop or knife in this case is definitely provided..

I notice some doubt this could happen and particulars in the series would make one to believe it impossible to put a network together in order to make the murders and plots all work. And who paid for those big houses and expensive vehicles? These are some of the holes I found in the storyline.

Entertainment value was high as it kept me locked in anxious to move to the next episode and I was rarely disappointed. As far as cults go this one is on steroids but as another review mentioned, a person on death row doesn't get access to the prison library and Internet no matter who he bribed. Those folks are on lock down throughout appeals and waiting for D-Day. They may have access to legal materials only, eat meals alone, are out of their single person cell one-hour per day, etc. Visits are no contact and very limited.

We like movies to be as real as possible with these types of dramas and "The Following" falls short of that but it is very suspenseful, keeps the viewer engaged and is thought provoking.

What I liked in particular is the individual "flashbacks" enabling the viewer to see what is in a characters past and how it relates to their current behavior. This background was helpful and without it would make the plot much less believable.
  11. Apr 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is episodic TV, based on a very unusual premise, so to enjoy the series I was able to suspend my disbelief. I understood that the plot, and some of its suppositions, were fairly preposterous, but I accepted that. I understood that we needed to throw geography to the wind, as characters traveled between Upstate New York and Virginia like it's around the block. But, its a TV show, the acting is good, the main characters are interesting, and so I went with it.

But I now have had enough. I will not watch Season 2, as I can only suspend my disbelief so far. I cannot keep watching a show that features, in every episode, FBI agent after FBI agent being outwitted, outflanked, and over-matched by crazy loons who quote Edgar Allen Poe. Sorry, but I am sick of watching FBI agents enter dark rooms alone, with no back-up, and demonstrating not the slightest bit of professional expertise. C'mon, how many times can we watch FBI agents that know less about surveillance and stalking an adversary than some crazy housewife who killed her husband and realized she liked it?

Sorry, the scene in the final episode where a key FBI agent is captured, leading to that character's demise, had me wanting to punch my TV screen. How stupid are FBI agents, after all? If they are that stupid, then why am I watching them?
  12. Mar 1, 2013
    Great Show, completely under rated. I don't understand a lot of the negative reviews...Are we watching the same show?? Fast paced, action packed and full of twists. I think the cast is great, Kevin Bacon was a great choice as a lead and James Purefoy nails the intellectual psychopath down to a tee. I think people are much to quick to write of shows before they've even had a chance toGreat Show, completely under rated. I don't understand a lot of the negative reviews...Are we watching the same show?? Fast paced, action packed and full of twists. I think the cast is great, Kevin Bacon was a great choice as a lead and James Purefoy nails the intellectual psychopath down to a tee. I think people are much to quick to write of shows before they've even had a chance to bloom. As i said, i don't understand all the negative reviews. Maybe it's just the "twilight" generation, so used to mediocrity when they see something with some actual merit they automatically write it off. Expand
  13. Jan 31, 2013
    This show is very good. Interesting, suspenseful, and well written. Kevin Bacon does a great job as lead. Leaves you waiting for the next episode each week.
  14. Jan 23, 2013
    So far so good as far as the pilot of The Following goes. Kevin Bacon makes a convincing stand as the troubled and retired FBI agent Ryan Hardy, who has been called out of retirement due to the prison escape of serial killer Joe Carroll (James Purefoy). The show has opened up on a safe note, they could have did several things differently but ultimately this was an enjoyable episode. WhereSo far so good as far as the pilot of The Following goes. Kevin Bacon makes a convincing stand as the troubled and retired FBI agent Ryan Hardy, who has been called out of retirement due to the prison escape of serial killer Joe Carroll (James Purefoy). The show has opened up on a safe note, they could have did several things differently but ultimately this was an enjoyable episode. Where the story goes is left to the writers, in terms of if they follow all other detective dramas or if they try and change it up.
    I't wont get a 10 from me simply because it was perhaps too safe, they are relying too much on blow-up exaggerations to emphasis pivotal scenes, and there was nothing that would convince you to be drooling at the mouth for more.
    The performances of Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy and Natalie Zea should be praised in particular, while the talented Maggie Grace also gave a convincing performance.
    There is potential here, but just one that needs to be acted upon, sooner rather than later.
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What makes the following so great is the character development. Every character has a story. It's unlike any show I have ever seen. The suspense is never ending. I will admit the story is getting a little out of control, the following is a bit larger than we thought it was, but you can't help but be intrigued. I have no clue how they are going to pull off a second season but fox has already ordered it. Excited! As long as they keep the suspense up, I'm a fan! Expand
  16. Jan 28, 2013
    So far it's really good. It almost feels like a movie. There is enough tension to keep you thinking and the acting is above par for most tv shows. I am really impressed and look forward to more.
  17. Apr 9, 2013
    Really enjoying it, especially kevin bacon. Interesting plot, good characters and I like the whole premise of the cult in general. Looking forward to seeing more.
  18. Jan 22, 2013
    I thought that this series would be just like any other serial killer drama, and that's how it seems at times, but it has so much to offer. Kevin Bacon on television, he is a treat to watch, whatever he does, he does it great. The pilot has its gripping moments, has some shocking scenarios as well, I appreciate the writers for that but they need to do it even better in the future. TheI thought that this series would be just like any other serial killer drama, and that's how it seems at times, but it has so much to offer. Kevin Bacon on television, he is a treat to watch, whatever he does, he does it great. The pilot has its gripping moments, has some shocking scenarios as well, I appreciate the writers for that but they need to do it even better in the future. The direction wasn't that amazing though, it needs some more polishing. The only thing I'm worried about is how this series is going to survive because the premise is different, it would need the best possible writing to keep the viewers interested in the series and make it marvelous. I liked the pilot, loved how it ended with Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, this show can become successful, if not cancelled and given the right amount of everything. Expand
  19. Feb 13, 2013
    I absolutely love this show and have high hopes for the rest of the season. Kevin Bacon's acting is superb and he really makes the character believable. Although I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the basis on which the cult was started is unbelievable, I suppose it is not improbable as we have Scientologists amongst us who believe we are all aliens. However the only downI absolutely love this show and have high hopes for the rest of the season. Kevin Bacon's acting is superb and he really makes the character believable. Although I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the basis on which the cult was started is unbelievable, I suppose it is not improbable as we have Scientologists amongst us who believe we are all aliens. However the only down side for me about this show is that it should be a mini series and not serialised because where can it go from here? They can only do so much with it as there is only about 5 followers and much more would be a stretch. Expand
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    Dark, crazy, and surprisingly predictable. Following (excuse the terrible pun) Williamson's history with "The Vampire Diaries" and "Dawson's Creek", it's surprising that "The Following" is such a dark, insane show.
  21. Apr 16, 2013
    This show is absolutely awesome. Fast paced, unpredictable, and kind of creepy. For like 2 episodes straight nothing important happened and that was a problem. That's the only reason I didn't give this first season a 10. But that problem greatly improved in a short amount of time. After that, every episode kept your full attention and you were never bored again. Now all this season is, isThis show is absolutely awesome. Fast paced, unpredictable, and kind of creepy. For like 2 episodes straight nothing important happened and that was a problem. That's the only reason I didn't give this first season a 10. But that problem greatly improved in a short amount of time. After that, every episode kept your full attention and you were never bored again. Now all this season is, is heart pounding edge of your seat entertainment. Expand
  22. Mar 5, 2013
    I was really excited for this series when it started, but soon realized that every episode is going to be the same, much like HOUSE. Kevin Bacon gets a lead, chases it down, then realizes he's been tricked by Joe Carroll. I still really enjoy it and am curious to how season 1 will end, but I sure hope that they have an ending planned out for the series. I don't want to get Lindelof'ed
  23. Apr 8, 2013
    Great plot. Great characters. Haven't eagerly awaited a TV show this much every week since 24 was on.
    I am amazed every week how unpredictably the story will turn. GREAT casting. I can see most of these actors/actresses getting their own shows in the future. All you negative ninnies go watch New Girl or Castle. I'll look forward to Seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5 of this more intense drama.
  24. Jan 25, 2013
    Very few television shows make me jump out of my seat. The first episode got me twice. If nothing else this show will start an Edgar Allen Poe revival.
  25. Feb 17, 2013
    "The Following" by Kevin Williamson has a premise that is a recycled one no doubt. For example, Kevin's signature death is by being stabbed by a knife which has been consistently overused through his other movies such as Scream. However, what breathes new air into the show is the characters and the cast. Even, the relative newcomers like Adan Canto and Nico Tortorella play extremely"The Following" by Kevin Williamson has a premise that is a recycled one no doubt. For example, Kevin's signature death is by being stabbed by a knife which has been consistently overused through his other movies such as Scream. However, what breathes new air into the show is the characters and the cast. Even, the relative newcomers like Adan Canto and Nico Tortorella play extremely convincing roles as tortured souls being manipulated by Joe Carroll. Overall, the show is enjoyable and the plot continues to build each week while still maintaining to delve deeper into each characters past. Expand
  26. Mar 26, 2013
    I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! Every episode I'm left with my mouth to the floor. I'm obsessed with this show!!!! It's right up there with the walking dead, true blood & board walk empire. Please don't ever get rid of this show!!!
  27. Mar 30, 2013
    great series ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  28. May 10, 2013
    corny dialogues, awkward scenes but its a horror slasher ride and its kevin bacon... so am in. the series feels pretentious in its twisted-mindness and i guess kevin bacon's character can use a darker psychological nuance if that makes sense
  29. Apr 22, 2013
    It's a well-acted and entertaining series if you don't take it too seriously. While the plot becomes increasingly unrealistic and absurd at times, Kevin Bacon does do a great job leading the cast and his character's relationship with the villain has been fascinating through the season so far. Predictable at times but always draws you back each week to find out what will happen next.
  30. May 24, 2013
    Fast paced, lots of action. Reminds me of Prison Break. You are so invested you want the next episode. Yes the first episode was promising and was kind of different to the rest of the season. But so what? The rest of the season was equally engaging. Kevin Bacon is great and some of the other actors too. I don´t know all of their real names but there were good performances. Like many peopleFast paced, lots of action. Reminds me of Prison Break. You are so invested you want the next episode. Yes the first episode was promising and was kind of different to the rest of the season. But so what? The rest of the season was equally engaging. Kevin Bacon is great and some of the other actors too. I don´t know all of their real names but there were good performances. Like many people have said in their reviews here and in other sites, apart from the main storyline, one of the best and more interesting secondary stories was the Jacob/Paul/Emma trio. Especially Jacob was my favorite character and one of the best actors too. The series was kind of daring and brave too. I give it a strong 8. More entertaining than almost any other thing on tv in recent times Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Part Greek tragedy, part “Silence of the Lambs” offspring, The Following has an intriguing premise that almost rises above its layered plotting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    The Following, compelling and frustrating from its opening credits, sets viewers up for a season-long, blood-soaked rematch between an evil intellectual and his law-enforcement nemesis.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    [A] somewhat overheated but still fairly effective new thriller.