• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 21, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.8

1. Mar 1, 2013
    Great Show, completely under rated. I don't understand a lot of the negative reviews...Are we watching the same show?? Fast paced, action packed and full of twists. I think the cast is great, Kevin Bacon was a great choice as a lead and James Purefoy nails the intellectual psychopath down to a tee. I think people are much to quick to write of shows before they've even had a chance toGreat Show, completely under rated. I don't understand a lot of the negative reviews...Are we watching the same show?? Fast paced, action packed and full of twists. I think the cast is great, Kevin Bacon was a great choice as a lead and James Purefoy nails the intellectual psychopath down to a tee. I think people are much to quick to write of shows before they've even had a chance to bloom. As i said, i don't understand all the negative reviews. Maybe it's just the "twilight" generation, so used to mediocrity when they see something with some actual merit they automatically write it off. Expand
  2. Jan 31, 2013
    This show is very good. Interesting, suspenseful, and well written. Kevin Bacon does a great job as lead. Leaves you waiting for the next episode each week.
  3. Jan 28, 2013
    So far it's really good. It almost feels like a movie. There is enough tension to keep you thinking and the acting is above par for most tv shows. I am really impressed and look forward to more.
  4. Feb 13, 2013
    I absolutely love this show and have high hopes for the rest of the season. Kevin Bacon's acting is superb and he really makes the character believable. Although I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the basis on which the cult was started is unbelievable, I suppose it is not improbable as we have Scientologists amongst us who believe we are all aliens. However the only downI absolutely love this show and have high hopes for the rest of the season. Kevin Bacon's acting is superb and he really makes the character believable. Although I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the basis on which the cult was started is unbelievable, I suppose it is not improbable as we have Scientologists amongst us who believe we are all aliens. However the only down side for me about this show is that it should be a mini series and not serialised because where can it go from here? They can only do so much with it as there is only about 5 followers and much more would be a stretch. Expand
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What makes the following so great is the character development. Every character has a story. It's unlike any show I have ever seen. The suspense is never ending. I will admit the story is getting a little out of control, the following is a bit larger than we thought it was, but you can't help but be intrigued. I have no clue how they are going to pull off a second season but fox has already ordered it. Excited! As long as they keep the suspense up, I'm a fan! Expand
  6. Apr 8, 2013
    Great plot. Great characters. Haven't eagerly awaited a TV show this much every week since 24 was on.
    I am amazed every week how unpredictably the story will turn. GREAT casting. I can see most of these actors/actresses getting their own shows in the future. All you negative ninnies go watch New Girl or Castle. I'll look forward to Seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5 of this more intense drama.
  7. Apr 9, 2013
    Really enjoying it, especially kevin bacon. Interesting plot, good characters and I like the whole premise of the cult in general. Looking forward to seeing more.
  8. Apr 21, 2013
    Not sure why there are negative reviews of this show each episode plays like a movie with a cliffhanger leaving u ready to see the next episode I've recommended this series to all of my friends and all of us are addicted Kudos to the team that is bringing us this series...
  9. Oct 19, 2013
    Excellent, intriguing storyline. Kevin Bacon is amazing too. I don't understand all the negative reviews. They are probably talking about another show
  10. Oct 19, 2013
    Amazing show from beginning to end. If you like English Literature, the plot is inspiring. Kevin Bacon is back to his best. Brilliant inter-episode links!
  11. Jul 9, 2014
    This show is brilliant. I don't understand how one cannot seem to enjoy it or find even the least bit of interesting. I am hooked on this show. By far the best show I've ever watched in my lifetime. I think people that are saying negative things about the show didn't actually pay attention to it. Their loss. It's a great show and I cannot wait until season 3 airs!!
  12. Jan 25, 2013
    Very few television shows make me jump out of my seat. The first episode got me twice. If nothing else this show will start an Edgar Allen Poe revival.
  13. Jan 30, 2013
    The Following delivers.........interesting plot, great performance by Kevin Bacon and Jeremy Purefoy, awesome suspense and good twists at the end, make the pilot one of the best episodes I watched this year so far.
  14. Feb 17, 2013
    "The Following" by Kevin Williamson has a premise that is a recycled one no doubt. For example, Kevin's signature death is by being stabbed by a knife which has been consistently overused through his other movies such as Scream. However, what breathes new air into the show is the characters and the cast. Even, the relative newcomers like Adan Canto and Nico Tortorella play extremely"The Following" by Kevin Williamson has a premise that is a recycled one no doubt. For example, Kevin's signature death is by being stabbed by a knife which has been consistently overused through his other movies such as Scream. However, what breathes new air into the show is the characters and the cast. Even, the relative newcomers like Adan Canto and Nico Tortorella play extremely convincing roles as tortured souls being manipulated by Joe Carroll. Overall, the show is enjoyable and the plot continues to build each week while still maintaining to delve deeper into each characters past. Expand
  15. Jan 21, 2013
    Kevin Bacon is great in pretty much everything he does, but I think he's going to out do himself if this series continues. I think it's a great start to what could be a very memorable, if not bloody series. The episode seemed to come in waves, often divulging into the past for context. The moments that grab you are evenly paced throughout the episode, and each moment gets more intense asKevin Bacon is great in pretty much everything he does, but I think he's going to out do himself if this series continues. I think it's a great start to what could be a very memorable, if not bloody series. The episode seemed to come in waves, often divulging into the past for context. The moments that grab you are evenly paced throughout the episode, and each moment gets more intense as the episode goes on, something that FOX shows as of late have severely lacked. For the last few years, the FOX lineup seems to be a shows destined to last maybe a season or two at best. That Christian Slater show was somehow brought back even after the terrible ratings, but FOX blew it on things like Terra Nova and the Chicago Code(which had potential). The Following does not fit into these molds, because FOX didn't over do it like all the other shows. Nothing is forced, the acting is very natural especially from Ze Bacon (my nickname for him), and the story likes to jump out and stab you a few times just to make sure you haven't lost interest. It's gory too, which I found a bit surprising at first considering how FOX is somewhat family friendly. I took this directly from the wikipedia page and I think it's kinda humorous:

"To slip gory scenes past the Standards and Practices department at Fox Broadcasting, Williamson explained, "There are tricks... Okay, in the same episode there's an actor cutting someone in the jugular, and you're harping on the sex scene? So I sent a little email to [Fox Entertainment chairman] Kevin Reilly, and within 15 minutes the broadcast-and-standards people were like, It's okay."[4]

To conclude I would like to say I've given all of the latest FOX dramas a shot, from Fringe and Lie to Me, to the Chicago Code and Terra Nova. Fringe was the only one that I thought was decent, just because the story was original(and i tend to love shows that have former members of The Wire on them). Lie to Me had god awful acting and directing, Terra Nova was a colossal waste of a potentially good idea, and The Chicago Code couldn't flashdance it's way into the viewers hearts, which was very disappointing. I think the Following will have a good following and will bring back viewers that FOX is so desperately needing right now, provided enough people stay with it, and so far I've seen nothing but good reviews.
  16. Feb 6, 2013
    Gratuitous Violence! Unbelievable that followers could be manipulated to murder (omigod) college girls.
    Maybe because I am older than the hills and remember Charlie Manson, Jones Town and the Dravidians in Wacko Waco I have less trouble accepting the psychology of the characters. From my perspective the twists and the motives, known and unknown, of the supporting cast are giving me plenty of fun and games for my entertainment dollar. There is a lot worse television...it is fiction folks, not "reality".
  17. Feb 6, 2013
    I think The Following is an incredible show. It's exciting, suspenseful, gory and always keeps you guessing. Kevin Bacon is fantastic. James Purefoy was cast perfectly as the very charismatic (and quite psychotic) serial killer. I think it's a great take on the "cult" phenomenon. I anxiously await every weeks episode just to see where the writers will take us next.
  18. Apr 16, 2013
    This show is absolutely awesome. Fast paced, unpredictable, and kind of creepy. For like 2 episodes straight nothing important happened and that was a problem. That's the only reason I didn't give this first season a 10. But that problem greatly improved in a short amount of time. After that, every episode kept your full attention and you were never bored again. Now all this season is, isThis show is absolutely awesome. Fast paced, unpredictable, and kind of creepy. For like 2 episodes straight nothing important happened and that was a problem. That's the only reason I didn't give this first season a 10. But that problem greatly improved in a short amount of time. After that, every episode kept your full attention and you were never bored again. Now all this season is, is heart pounding edge of your seat entertainment. Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2013
    At first I wasn't sure about Kevin Bacon's acting. I figured we would learn more about his character as time progressed but it turns out James Purefoy is the absolute show stealer in this situation. He is charismatic and charming and yet, the whole concept of the following seems extremely far fetched. I can only wonder how long they intend to go with the show but I will watch until theAt first I wasn't sure about Kevin Bacon's acting. I figured we would learn more about his character as time progressed but it turns out James Purefoy is the absolute show stealer in this situation. He is charismatic and charming and yet, the whole concept of the following seems extremely far fetched. I can only wonder how long they intend to go with the show but I will watch until the end because of the twists and turns and the sheer wondering if the woman FBI agent is dirty. Expand
  20. Mar 23, 2013
    My new favorite show that i can't seem to get anybody to watch, mostly because they are afraid of serial killers and live in creepy apartments in the city. I love this show, after every episode i leave feeling like it has gotten better than the week before. One criticism, the serial killers seem to get a little too lucky at times, but hey its TV
  21. Mar 30, 2013
    great series ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  22. Mar 26, 2013
    I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! Every episode I'm left with my mouth to the floor. I'm obsessed with this show!!!! It's right up there with the walking dead, true blood & board walk empire. Please don't ever get rid of this show!!!
  23. Apr 19, 2013
    I am surprised by all the low scores. The acting is great, the story is suspenseful and unpredictable. The plot twists are sometimes implausible, but there must be room for implausibility in a thriller series. This show is more suspenseful and graphic than anything else on network television.
  24. Apr 24, 2013
    I don't understand why people are giving The Following such bad reviews. I haven't seen such an exciting, tense, original, risky show since the times of Lost and Prison Break. OK, so one of the complaints is that it isn't 'realistic' which at some points it isn't particularly when it's anything to do with Claire who seems to do the complete opposite of what the audience expects. However,I don't understand why people are giving The Following such bad reviews. I haven't seen such an exciting, tense, original, risky show since the times of Lost and Prison Break. OK, so one of the complaints is that it isn't 'realistic' which at some points it isn't particularly when it's anything to do with Claire who seems to do the complete opposite of what the audience expects. However, these negative reviewers seem to think that they know exactly how people would act in real life in the situations that occur in the show when in fact, like me, the closest they have ever got to similar situations is watching them on TV. The casting is brilliant and from the very beginning I have been riveted once you get past the OTT goriness (particularly the stuff in the first two episodes). A truly brilliant show that will keep you on the edge of your seat and screaming at the telly Expand
  25. Apr 29, 2013
    I have to say that I can see why certain people with no imagination may give this show poor reviews. This is a work of fiction. This is not reality TV, although stranger, even more evil, and crazy cults have existed throughout history. Look at Charles Manson & his followers, for example. After just watching the finale, and as a loyal viewer all season, I found that I thoroughly enjoyedI have to say that I can see why certain people with no imagination may give this show poor reviews. This is a work of fiction. This is not reality TV, although stranger, even more evil, and crazy cults have existed throughout history. Look at Charles Manson & his followers, for example. After just watching the finale, and as a loyal viewer all season, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed every single episode, as did my husband. I can't say that I never rolled my eyes as someone made a stupid decision, but in the end I was always completely entertained and waiting for the next installment. The acting was superb, especially by Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy, & the actress who plays Claire (forgot her name). It was fast paced & thrilling. You never knew what was going to happen or who would die. It kept me on the edge of my seat all season long. After reading through these reviews, it's pretty clear that most who wrote negative reviews didn't watch the whole season. Actually they didn't give it much of a chance after a couple episodes, so how can they really judge the whole show? I can say for certain that bad judgement calls are made, but these are humans...it wasn't as bad as some are saying. I would recommend this show if you like the genre & you have an open mind. I can't wait for season 2! Expand
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    You would think how far can a story line go with a serial killer and followers and not run out of story lines,(meaning stabbing, shooting, strangling etc..) but I am impressed every week how the show has grown and I love the acting it is phenomenal!
  27. Jan 16, 2014
    watching this show has been one of the best thrill rides I've ever been on, I was left wanting more at the end of every single episode especially the finale. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy have an amazing dynamic and Natalie Zea was a perfect choice for the damsel in distress. I'm not sure why this show is getting such bad reviews, all I can say is it's not for the faint of heart...
  28. Apr 19, 2014
    Suspenseful and action packed. Each episode ends with a wanting to see the next one. There is a ridiculous amount of killing and gore in the show. There's a lot of repetition in the plot. By that I mean the same point is accomplished in 2 episodes when it could easily be accomplished in 1. Overall a great show and worth watching.
  29. Apr 22, 2013
    It's a well-acted and entertaining series if you don't take it too seriously. While the plot becomes increasingly unrealistic and absurd at times, Kevin Bacon does do a great job leading the cast and his character's relationship with the villain has been fascinating through the season so far. Predictable at times but always draws you back each week to find out what will happen next.
  30. Nov 12, 2013
    The Following is the Spring sensation that took Fox viewers by storm and led to some of the highest ratings for a mid-season debut in network history. After watching one episode, I could see why this show was so popular, it really is right up my ally, and is easily one of the best written shows on network television.

10 years ago, College professor, Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), was

10 years ago, College professor, Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), was convicted of the murders of 14 young women. He sits on death row, waiting to be executed, when he launches a daring escape. Completely stunned, the F.B.I. brings in the now retired agent who originally caught him to track him down. Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon) is a troubled, lonely man, who just wants to move on with his life and leave all the horrors he's known behind him. Reluctantly, he agrees to find Carroll and to everyone's surprise, does it with ease. As it turns out, getting caught again was all part of Carroll's plan. While in prison, Carroll had spoken with and gotten to know many different people who admire what he did. The charismatic killer has tricked these people into believing that they need to give their lives meaning by being a part of something special, his resurrection. Carroll's getting easily captured by the F.B.I. was nothing more than a signal to his many followers to begin reeking havoc all over the eastern seaboard. The targets are seemingly anyone Carroll ever interacted with and the acts all meant to torment the man who caught him, Ryan Hardy. With no other choice, Hardy agrees to stay on and try to stop whatever was set in motion, before Carroll's plan can come to fruition.

I know what you're thinking, because I was thinking the same thing. It's a great story for one season, but how in the world can they continue this show after that, without it becoming old and repetitive. It was something I thought a lot about while watching this show, however my doubts may have been premature. The more this show continued, the better the writing got, and if anyone can keep this show interesting and fresh it's this talented cast and crew.

Kevin Bacon has always been a tremendously underrated actor, because for 30 years, he's simply been known as that guy from Footloose. I've seen many of his films and now his new TV show, and I have to tell you this guy is phenomenal. It wasn't just being able to pull of the character of Ryan Hardy, but also the chemistry he had with James Purefoy. Joe Carroll is one of the best villains I've seen since Hannibal Lechter and the chemistry Purefoy has with Bacon, easily rivals that of Hopkins and Foster.

The show is made even stronger by a tremendous support cast of complicated characters, all of whom have their own hidden past and issues that are brought to the table. Movie actor, Shawn Ashmore is terrific as the young agent who wants nothing more than the praise of his idol, Ryan Hardy. The boss is played by Annie Parisse, perhaps best known as A.D.A. Alex Borgia on Law & Order.

This show really has deep, well developed characters, that you get quickly attached to, and every time you think you know what's coming they throw a curve ball at you. The Following is such a strong story, that is so well written, that it really has the chance of being on the air for years.

Season one is now streaming on Netflix and season two debuts on Fox in January. I really can't wait to get there. Rarely do I watch shows on the air, I prefer to wait for the DVD to avoid the commercials and watch as much or as a little as I want. The Following is different though, because this show was just so amazing to me, that I honestly can't wait to see what season two has in store for me. I am more than willing to sit through the commercials in order to get there that much faster, and I think once you've seen this show, you'll feel the exact same way.
  31. Jan 26, 2013
    Dark, crazy, and surprisingly predictable. Following (excuse the terrible pun) Williamson's history with "The Vampire Diaries" and "Dawson's Creek", it's surprising that "The Following" is such a dark, insane show.
  32. Jan 22, 2013
    I thought that this series would be just like any other serial killer drama, and that's how it seems at times, but it has so much to offer. Kevin Bacon on television, he is a treat to watch, whatever he does, he does it great. The pilot has its gripping moments, has some shocking scenarios as well, I appreciate the writers for that but they need to do it even better in the future. TheI thought that this series would be just like any other serial killer drama, and that's how it seems at times, but it has so much to offer. Kevin Bacon on television, he is a treat to watch, whatever he does, he does it great. The pilot has its gripping moments, has some shocking scenarios as well, I appreciate the writers for that but they need to do it even better in the future. The direction wasn't that amazing though, it needs some more polishing. The only thing I'm worried about is how this series is going to survive because the premise is different, it would need the best possible writing to keep the viewers interested in the series and make it marvelous. I liked the pilot, loved how it ended with Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, this show can become successful, if not cancelled and given the right amount of everything. Expand
  33. May 24, 2013
    Fast paced, lots of action. Reminds me of Prison Break. You are so invested you want the next episode. Yes the first episode was promising and was kind of different to the rest of the season. But so what? The rest of the season was equally engaging. Kevin Bacon is great and some of the other actors too. I don´t know all of their real names but there were good performances. Like many peopleFast paced, lots of action. Reminds me of Prison Break. You are so invested you want the next episode. Yes the first episode was promising and was kind of different to the rest of the season. But so what? The rest of the season was equally engaging. Kevin Bacon is great and some of the other actors too. I don´t know all of their real names but there were good performances. Like many people have said in their reviews here and in other sites, apart from the main storyline, one of the best and more interesting secondary stories was the Jacob/Paul/Emma trio. Especially Jacob was my favorite character and one of the best actors too. The series was kind of daring and brave too. I give it a strong 8. More entertaining than almost any other thing on tv in recent times Expand
  34. Feb 4, 2013
    Sure, understanding the reason for "The Following" is very hard to do in the first couple of episodes. I agree with other people who say the connections between characters are implausible, but then again the series sets a tone that strongly implies that the gaps will be bridged by flashbacks or other means. This however, is arguably the best new show on basic TV right now.
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    I was really excited for this series when it started, but soon realized that every episode is going to be the same, much like HOUSE. Kevin Bacon gets a lead, chases it down, then realizes he's been tricked by Joe Carroll. I still really enjoy it and am curious to how season 1 will end, but I sure hope that they have an ending planned out for the series. I don't want to get Lindelof'ed
  36. Apr 11, 2013
    like a certain vaughan 1138 ,i find "the following" more than interesting!!! Not perfect of course but what is i can't believe what i am reading about this show ,seen by tv buffs or teenagers, as "unrealistic" .thelike a certain vaughan 1138 ,i find "the following" more than interesting!!! Not perfect of course but what is i can't believe what i am reading about this show ,seen by tv buffs or teenagers, as "unrealistic" .the same people that give good score to "the arrow" or any other "kid writen ,poorly played ,violent show" It 's almost like nobody seems to remembers,for example ,that the Sopranos were real /unreal, poetic logical but with a rythme and strong scenes vivid, full of life on a human level .
    And, by the way, stop saying that you know anything about what an F B I agent should or shouldn't' do, taking examples with jack bauer or saying you know what killers should do ,
    stop doubting a killer could be inspiring people ,I for example may be the first frenchman to have seen Manhunter in 1986 in the U-S :ALMOST THIRTY YEARS OF SERIAL KILLER LATER ,YOU DOUBT people are fascinated (tell this to the women who want to marry a killer in prison (and thePOE's masks are scary because people kill, with them on) ;

The Following is a writer's invention mixed with great actors;, close to the clock timeline,and the plot is strongly but reasonably shown ;
    This show may in fact, reflect our occidental future, when people through the Net will be bored so much with bad TV shows that they shall start a whole new kind of "game"(,"the most dangerous one" dedicated to the serial killer buff in his living room) killing people"....... with followers.......!
  37. Apr 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is episodic TV, based on a very unusual premise, so to enjoy the series I was able to suspend my disbelief. I understood that the plot, and some of its suppositions, were fairly preposterous, but I accepted that. I understood that we needed to throw geography to the wind, as characters traveled between Upstate New York and Virginia like it's around the block. But, its a TV show, the acting is good, the main characters are interesting, and so I went with it.

But I now have had enough. I will not watch Season 2, as I can only suspend my disbelief so far. I cannot keep watching a show that features, in every episode, FBI agent after FBI agent being outwitted, outflanked, and over-matched by crazy loons who quote Edgar Allen Poe. Sorry, but I am sick of watching FBI agents enter dark rooms alone, with no back-up, and demonstrating not the slightest bit of professional expertise. C'mon, how many times can we watch FBI agents that know less about surveillance and stalking an adversary than some crazy housewife who killed her husband and realized she liked it?

Sorry, the scene in the final episode where a key FBI agent is captured, leading to that character's demise, had me wanting to punch my TV screen. How stupid are FBI agents, after all? If they are that stupid, then why am I watching them?
  38. Sep 8, 2014
    An interesting insight into cult life, as well as a brilliant crime procedural. Kevin Bacon is all class, and my crush on James Purefoy knows no bounds.
  39. Feb 5, 2014
    So firstly, this show has great timing, (right when the Dexter series ended), similar plot, more twisted characters and a poetic emphasis. The characters are convincing, loved Annie Parisses part, tragic. The dialogue needs improvement, Kevin Bacon is amazing, looking forward to the next episode and hoping it gets better ! !
  40. Feb 3, 2013
    The Following is definitely darker in tone than the average network TV show, which is a fact that Fox tried to capitalize on when advertising it ("You won't believe it's not on cable!"). While it's not as ambitious as some of the shows you'll see on FX or AMC, it is a solid crime drama. The Following benefits from a strong cast portraying an interesting set of characters. Obviously,The Following is definitely darker in tone than the average network TV show, which is a fact that Fox tried to capitalize on when advertising it ("You won't believe it's not on cable!"). While it's not as ambitious as some of the shows you'll see on FX or AMC, it is a solid crime drama. The Following benefits from a strong cast portraying an interesting set of characters. Obviously, Kevin Bacon gives a stellar performance, but I'm equally impressed by Natalie Zea and James Purefoy, as well as some of the actors portraying secondary characters. So far, the story line has been fun and entertaining, but I'm not sure it goes deep enough to really be engaging for several years. I suppose if The Following does go for more than a season or two, the writers will cross that bridge when they come to it. Overall, I'm enjoying The Following, and feel that it's worth checking out. Expand
  41. May 10, 2013
    corny dialogues, awkward scenes but its a horror slasher ride and its kevin bacon... so am in. the series feels pretentious in its twisted-mindness and i guess kevin bacon's character can use a darker psychological nuance if that makes sense
  42. Sep 22, 2013
    It may be a little bit more literary than some will enjoy. Perhaps it will be a little too much for certain audiences, but make so mistake about passing on The Following. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy play great opposites of the good/evil spectrum, something the show heavily depends upon. Otherwise, it's a pretty typical crime-based action & mystery. While overall a success, TheIt may be a little bit more literary than some will enjoy. Perhaps it will be a little too much for certain audiences, but make so mistake about passing on The Following. Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy play great opposites of the good/evil spectrum, something the show heavily depends upon. Otherwise, it's a pretty typical crime-based action & mystery. While overall a success, The Following seems to never quite capture the magic of shows that seem to influence. Its reminiscent of the best of what super-show 24 had to offer, only The Following doesn't seem to capture as much magic as 24. Of course, where it may lack some in fun and engaging action, it certainly delivers in intelligence and literary references to Edgar Allen Poe's work in the crimes of Joe Carroll (Purefoy). By the end of the season, I felt that, while The Following hadn't totally captured me, I was ready to continue watching the story unfold. There's lots of good yet to be unpacked, and just having Kevin Bacon leading the solid cast is promise enough that this show will only improve going forward. Expand
  43. Jan 23, 2013
    So far so good as far as the pilot of The Following goes. Kevin Bacon makes a convincing stand as the troubled and retired FBI agent Ryan Hardy, who has been called out of retirement due to the prison escape of serial killer Joe Carroll (James Purefoy). The show has opened up on a safe note, they could have did several things differently but ultimately this was an enjoyable episode. WhereSo far so good as far as the pilot of The Following goes. Kevin Bacon makes a convincing stand as the troubled and retired FBI agent Ryan Hardy, who has been called out of retirement due to the prison escape of serial killer Joe Carroll (James Purefoy). The show has opened up on a safe note, they could have did several things differently but ultimately this was an enjoyable episode. Where the story goes is left to the writers, in terms of if they follow all other detective dramas or if they try and change it up.
    I't wont get a 10 from me simply because it was perhaps too safe, they are relying too much on blow-up exaggerations to emphasis pivotal scenes, and there was nothing that would convince you to be drooling at the mouth for more.
    The performances of Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy and Natalie Zea should be praised in particular, while the talented Maggie Grace also gave a convincing performance.
    There is potential here, but just one that needs to be acted upon, sooner rather than later.
  44. Sep 6, 2013
    Aside from making the Kevin Bacon game that much easier by establishing a direct connection between Edgar Allan Poe and Kevin Bacon, the plot is always interesting, there are lots of twists and turns without seeming forced. I am eager for season 2.
  45. Feb 2, 2013
    The first two episodes of The Following have all the effectiveness and require the same suspension of disbelief as a slasher film, but with elements of a good TV procedural. No TV show has made me jump and say 'Holy (expletive)" If they can keep the intensity, it should be an interesting ride.
  46. Mar 5, 2013
    The first episode like "do no harm" was promising, sick, twisted but cool. however, it's starting to become dumb and frustrating to watch mainly b/c kevin bacon's character is so woosy, always one step behind the killer, almost like a 1/2 pint no 1/4 pint Jack Bauer. I keep thinking that if Jack Bauer was involved, he would've kick this killer's arse in less than a day. like in few minutesThe first episode like "do no harm" was promising, sick, twisted but cool. however, it's starting to become dumb and frustrating to watch mainly b/c kevin bacon's character is so woosy, always one step behind the killer, almost like a 1/2 pint no 1/4 pint Jack Bauer. I keep thinking that if Jack Bauer was involved, he would've kick this killer's arse in less than a day. like in few minutes by waterboarding him to confess etc. Kevin is just this clueless trying to do good but always little too late. I guess everyone can't be like Jack, but still kevin's slow response to most things makes it a turn off to watch. Expand
  47. Mar 26, 2013
    I'm at a 7 rating after 7 episodes. Fairly gory at times but edge of the seat waiting for the next shoe to drop or knife in this case is definitely provided..

I notice some doubt this could happen and particulars in the series would make one to believe it impossible to put a network together in order to make the murders and plots all work. And who paid for those big houses and expensive vehicles? These are some of the holes I found in the storyline.

Entertainment value was high as it kept me locked in anxious to move to the next episode and I was rarely disappointed. As far as cults go this one is on steroids but as another review mentioned, a person on death row doesn't get access to the prison library and Internet no matter who he bribed. Those folks are on lock down throughout appeals and waiting for D-Day. They may have access to legal materials only, eat meals alone, are out of their single person cell one-hour per day, etc. Visits are no contact and very limited.

We like movies to be as real as possible with these types of dramas and "The Following" falls short of that but it is very suspenseful, keeps the viewer engaged and is thought provoking.

What I liked in particular is the individual "flashbacks" enabling the viewer to see what is in a characters past and how it relates to their current behavior. This background was helpful and without it would make the plot much less believable.
  48. Aug 29, 2013
    Great acting, cinematography, some good writing, great characters, but got more and more predictable as the season. How many dark hallways can Bacon go down alone before we just get tired? The police are duped way too easily and the cult members seem to know everything, whether its plausible or not. Did the writers run out of clever ideas? I loved the show and watched the entire season,Great acting, cinematography, some good writing, great characters, but got more and more predictable as the season. How many dark hallways can Bacon go down alone before we just get tired? The police are duped way too easily and the cult members seem to know everything, whether its plausible or not. Did the writers run out of clever ideas? I loved the show and watched the entire season, but go angry when the twists and turns became more and more ridiculous, only capped by the absolutely absurd ending of the first season. I just wanted to throw soup at the TV, but can't wait for next season! Expand
  49. May 3, 2013
    The season premiere of The Following was one of the best, if not the best, openings to a show I've ever seen. TV shows have long been capable of film quality drama and production, but for suspense and horror, the pilot was as good as any slasher film I've seen. Within 45 minutes, we were introduced to Hardy and the FBI team as well as Carroll's wife and son, who are soon secured followingThe season premiere of The Following was one of the best, if not the best, openings to a show I've ever seen. TV shows have long been capable of film quality drama and production, but for suspense and horror, the pilot was as good as any slasher film I've seen. Within 45 minutes, we were introduced to Hardy and the FBI team as well as Carroll's wife and son, who are soon secured following Carroll's escape. Also secured was Carroll's last victim and the only one to survive, Sarah Fuller. She seemed set for a role in the show yet it turned out that through his cult, Carroll's reach is vast and her death summed the first episode up, dark, scary, brutal and unpredictable.

Created by Kevin Williamson, the writer of Scream 1 & 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer and The Faculty, perhaps it was not surprising that The Following ventured further into a darker, macabre nature than most procedural police shows. The idea for the show was certainly original from the cult perspective but the notion that Carroll was an Edgar Allan Poe fanatic and based his murders on his works seems too hot on the heels of the 2012 film The Raven to be original. Also, it has to be said that Bacon's character ticks a fair number of boxes on the 'former agents returning to the job' cliché list.

Unfortunately, the show's pilot episode was it's strongest and all later episodes were hampered by the contrived nature of Carroll's plot, the stupidity and ineptitude of the FBI agents involved, weekly introduction of the latest member of Carroll's cult to 'play their part' before inevitably being gunned down senselessly by the FBI and irritatingly repetitive metaphors to the structure of a book's plot by Carroll.

As leading men for a TV show go, Kevin Bacon was a pretty big catch for FOX and on occasions you do feel that he is the heart and soul of the show and maybe the only reason you are still watching. That's not to take anything away from the likes of James Purefoy, though not quite as menacing as Hannibal Lecter as serial killers go, Shawn Ashmore, Natalie Zea and Annie Parisse, all of whom contribute willingly.

The season ended on the up, if slightly predictably, and I dare say I will be tuning in to see how the events of the season finale are carried forward.
  50. Apr 11, 2013
    The problem with this show isn't that it's not entertaining, it is. It's just that it so lacks any real imagination. It falls back on the cheating premise that out of nowhere anyone can suddenly be a villain if the plot so requires it. Also there are far too many flashbacks which are actually quite redundant most of the time.This is still a watchable show, but an easy target for cynicsThe problem with this show isn't that it's not entertaining, it is. It's just that it so lacks any real imagination. It falls back on the cheating premise that out of nowhere anyone can suddenly be a villain if the plot so requires it. Also there are far too many flashbacks which are actually quite redundant most of the time.This is still a watchable show, but an easy target for cynics like myself. Also what is going on with tv shows these days that requires they all have to be over 20 episodes long! Please!!!!!!!! Expand
  51. Feb 9, 2013
    I'll admit I'm a bit let down so far. The pilot was very good, intense. The 2nd episode, while good, was a bit of a let down. The 3rd episode was just mediocre.
    Parts of the show are good. However, some are just not believable. Kevin Bacon is awesome. The rest of the cast is kind of boring. I wonder how long this show--or plot--can drag on for. How much can they do? Are the cult members limitless? I'm curious.
    I also dont really see the fascination these cultists have to Carroll.
    So, overall, the show is decent. I'll continue to watch it. If each week it gets worse, I probably wont bother
  52. Mar 12, 2013
    Overall, I've enjoyed watching the show. It has a good concept, character interaction, plot development, and story line. However, this week's episode (3/11) went way over the line of violence and bloodshed for me. Yes, I understand that this is the nature of The Followers themselves...As a former psyche student, I am trying to understand the depravity of the human mind and how someoneOverall, I've enjoyed watching the show. It has a good concept, character interaction, plot development, and story line. However, this week's episode (3/11) went way over the line of violence and bloodshed for me. Yes, I understand that this is the nature of The Followers themselves...As a former psyche student, I am trying to understand the depravity of the human mind and how someone could allow themselves to go against the "norms" and decency of society. Their fellow man means nothing to them, except in furtherance of the "cause", which is far from a righteous one! Expand
  53. Jun 29, 2013
    The concept of The Following is excellent, and I like that the cult is based on something like Edger Allen Poe. The first few episodes were quite good but as the series went on there seemed to be a struggle with the length of the plot as a result there was a need for stupid and quite annoying actions of many of the characters especially Claire who seem to fail to realize that SHE was theThe concept of The Following is excellent, and I like that the cult is based on something like Edger Allen Poe. The first few episodes were quite good but as the series went on there seemed to be a struggle with the length of the plot as a result there was a need for stupid and quite annoying actions of many of the characters especially Claire who seem to fail to realize that SHE was the advantage the FBI had over the cult thus these actions ruined the experience for me. If the writers had added some episodes that were based more on the back stories of the characters like Ryan or Joe Carroll then maybe the stupid actions and over lengthened plot could have been avoided and maybe they could have gotten more than 15 episodes. It is a good concept and interesting plot but there are some flaws that should be rectified in order to perfect this series. Expand
  54. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit it, The Following had me hooked from beginning to end due to the numerous twists and surprisingly (in my opinion) sad love story of Jacob and Paul. I'll also say that I loved both Purefoy and Bacon's acting. Purefoy is definitely a high spot for the show. However, to keep enjoying the show I had to really, really suspend disbelief and common sense.

For starters, the thought of Joe being able to amass a following of serial killers and other psychotic members without anyone else finding out is nearly unbelievable. Especially considering most of the main characters visit him in prison....where conversations are routinely recorded and listened to by staff. Early on, they seem to address this by Joe telling the visiting followers to not say anything incriminating while there but that doesn't last the whole way and during more flashbacks we see more characters revealing information about killing. I believe Rodrick does this the most.

So, we are also to believe that every person Joe met was immediately mesmerized and didn't become disenchanted by him and go to the police. Or, that none of the followers had any friends or family who became concerned and went to the police.

Aside from that, the biggest, most glaring and already talked about flaw is the police.

Now, I understand that they might have been purposely written this way to show that the good guys don't always win. I'll give the show that much because it is true many times. But the mistakes and ineptitude they constantly display is mindnumbing.

For instance, after Rodrick is discovered by Weston, he runs back to Joe's hideout...in a police squad car that is undoubtedly equipped with gps. But do the FBI track his car? Nope. They go on doing other stuff. This was the point when I nearly stopped watching but decided i'd gone this far so I might as well finish it

I also knew from the start that Claire would die. The writers kept shoving the "Ryan Hardy Death Curse" down our throats so her death became super obvious.

Also, what was with the Agent Parker semi-kinda-sorta swerve at the beginning where she hands Carroll the book in prison? Was that supposed to be a storyline that they changed their minds on or what? By the way, how does a person become a supervising agent when she can't even shoot a gun straight? Did I mention that Hardy kills nearly everyone he shoots at with one shot?

It really seemed like the writers just ran out of creative ideas when they showed that Molly was a follower. I didn't see that coming but once they revealed it I laughed a little at how predictable it should have been. I mean, is everyone in the FBI, local PD and Hardy's life a follower now or what?

Finally, a semi-automatic handgun does not have a sound. Everytime someone de-holsters their piece they added the sound. It was overly noticeable in the show.

...I'll probably watch Season 2 and hope it gets better but if it doesn't I doubt i'll finish it.
  55. Feb 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent and STOOPID.

The production value, direction, acting are all fine, etc. Kevin Bacon is excellent, and the supporting actors are mostly adequate (for Hollywood stuff).

However, this program suffers "The Hollywood Writers' Guild" plague, namely, lazy writers who leave bus-sized holes in the plot, dialogue, and screen behaviour.

I have watched 3 episodes now, and each of them presented at least 4-5 bits of stupidity, not at all like real human behaviour or actions. For example, from ONE episode only (jeez):

(Spoilers follow)

1. No one stops Poe-mask guy after he burns someone up in the street. He is otherwise non threatening, and America is chock full of true heroes, as well as inept do-gooders.

2. The slow-guy cult member is left in the hospital bed eating his stuffing to choke himself. No one is watching him, the alarms don't sound on the medical monitors, etc.

3. In the back yard, Bacon shoots the fire bug cult guy while his wife watches, but he doesn’t chase her. How far can she get really?

4. The cult girl cuts her boyfriend's boyfriend's arm, but the boyfriend doesn’t notice or ask? He's clearly cut with blood on the bandage when he leaves. Duhhhhh

5. The detective left with firebug's wife sees her phone ring, with a message "NOW". He helpfully reads this out to her without thinking. Duhhhhhhh

6. When it's clear there are weird goings-on, that detective tells the guys in the car, but they both come to the front door? Duhhhhhhhh

Holy carp, what a mess. The Writers' Guild insult us decade after decade.
  56. Apr 29, 2013
    Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy are great leads and with a solid supporting cast, Could really turn it into a show worth watching. However, The plot just wasn't there imo and that is what ruined the show. It was just boring moment after moment, It was poorly written and a real drag to get through each episode. They need to improve their writing staff if they wish to turn this show around. IKevin Bacon and James Purefoy are great leads and with a solid supporting cast, Could really turn it into a show worth watching. However, The plot just wasn't there imo and that is what ruined the show. It was just boring moment after moment, It was poorly written and a real drag to get through each episode. They need to improve their writing staff if they wish to turn this show around. I will continue to watch the show though because it has the potential to be one of the best drams on TV. That is why, despite my low rating of this season, it's worth checking out. Expand
  57. Feb 7, 2013
    I was waiting for this to come out for a while. And finally is here, but turns out is not as good as it promises to be. Kevin Bacon is great but the plot is just not convincing and it also comes out at times as pretentious and trying to hard. Better waste my time on something else than watch after episode 2.
  58. Jan 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great acting by the two main actors Bacon and Purefoy. However, the plot is very weak with parts being unbelievable. I just didn't buy into Bacon running off to the B&B by himself, I certainly didn't buy some of "The Followers" being able to sneak into houses like they did. The "normal" FBI characters were two dimensional at best. Back to BBC for good, solid crime dramas. Expand
  59. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great pilot and plot. Honestly, this show fell off for me several episodes in because the plot became predictable cops always one step behind the cult, cops get close to spoiling cults plans, cults outsmart the cops... for satisfaction, every other episode, Kevin Bacon kills a not-so-important member, and everyone is happy until... (repeats cycle).

My frustration is that this show paints the police as totally incompetent in the common sense department. Do you really think it's best to split up and go solo through an unknown building? Do you really not think of drawing up a plan to stop the bad guy's get-away car before you swarm into a building? I guess that's entertainment though... root for the "not-so-smart but potentially amazing dark hero"... Love Kevin Bacon but I may part ways with this series after I finish this season (13/15 episodes)
  60. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everyone on the 'good' side of the law is incompetent. Cliche plot devices such as escaping from incarceration during unneeded transport and always being two steps behind the antagonist are constantly thrown at us. The dialogue is never particularly interesting or able to convey to the audience the charm and leader qualities that fuel the unparalleled cult lead by a professor turned serial killer.

Episodes are generally fast paced, yet unsatisfying because they play out in the same way. X cult members with military training burst from hiding to kill X law enforcement and maybe the occasional civilian. Bacon then wards off the stragglers and returns to gather more disposable officers. It's like the battle of Gettysburg or some as officers and cultists die endlessly, yet no resolution is reached.

As the first season draws to a close we find our hero and savior Bacon journeying to the castle to rescue the princess.

I want to like this show, but it's decidedly unconvincing thus far. Poe wasn't that interesting of a guy, frankly, and I haven't felt an emotional attachment to any of the characters. One of the antagonists (who we're supposed to connect with?) was killed by his psycho girlfriend. Why is this surprising? I kind of wanted him to die before he was even revealed to be more than a gay neighbor.

I wouldn't have so much of an inherent problem with a literature professor leading a cult that can out-perform modern task forces if the show wasn't so one dimensional.

Bacon makes everything better but consistent with his character he can only do so much.
  61. Mar 4, 2013
    After seven episodes of The Following it has occurred to me that it could be really made into a suspense thriller if they put the cast in a locked room and made them read the script.
  62. Apr 28, 2013
    This show started off with great promise. I really liked how they set it up and Kevin Bacon is a great lead. Then after a few episodes it started going downhill with the frustrating scenarios and development.

Every episode after the 2nd it was like, "Now i'm a part of the cult! No! i'm a part of the cult." Kind of got ridiculous. Every time some development would happen the writers would cop-out saying "Well too bad! I'm a part of the cult too!"

Then after that, Joe's character just didn't develop at all. How is this guy a leader of so many people when he's so self serving and continually making idiotic decisions. To me, i think the writer's just didn't follow through with the story development as well as they could have with the premise.

Just the situations the cops put themselves in is ridiculous. How in the heck do you go off by yourself when there is a massive manhunt for a single person? No backup? Just go off by yourself? really?? i mean that stuff is just dumb and very unrealistic.

The 2nd to last episode was much better until the end where yet again a detective wanders off by herself. I basically just want the last episode to air since i've stuck with it this long, i might as well finish it out.
  63. Feb 20, 2013
    What an amazing trailer! Am I right? Unforgivably, the story might have gassed out already. Unfeasible behaviors, dragged out pacing that span multiple commercial breaks, forgettable characters, and confusing love triangles. There is but one way to salvage this show. Kevin Bacon needs to pull a BattleStar out of his--I give it a four.
  64. Feb 26, 2013
    It is angering to watch Kevin Bacon doing a great job in show that seems too ridiculous. The cops, FBI, prison guards, and US marshals are all stooges. As much as I want to like this show, I come away feeling frustrated at the stupidity of the good guys and the the unrealistic resources and organization of the antagonist.
  65. Mar 7, 2013
    I loved the premise of this show and anticipated its arrival. How quickly it failed. It can only continue if every character does the absurd. No one in law enforcement or government would ever consistently do so much wrong. No establish police or forensic procedures are followed. It just has become idiotic. Love Bacon! Amazing actor and the premise is still good, but please stop insultingI loved the premise of this show and anticipated its arrival. How quickly it failed. It can only continue if every character does the absurd. No one in law enforcement or government would ever consistently do so much wrong. No establish police or forensic procedures are followed. It just has become idiotic. Love Bacon! Amazing actor and the premise is still good, but please stop insulting our intelligence and make the police and FBI into bumbling idiots. OH, the lawyer no one noticed or asked how she suddenly lost fingers!! Come on. I give the show two more episodes and I am done if they don't get smarter. Expand
  66. Mar 21, 2013
    On "30 Rock," Tracy Morgan's character starred in a fictional movie entitled "Hard to Watch." Well, I think that "The Following" has, if nothing else, become something that is truly difficult to watch. At the same time, if you've already set your DVR to record it, and you can skip the commercials, it also becomes something more along the lines of "hard to watch, yet, I almost want to seeOn "30 Rock," Tracy Morgan's character starred in a fictional movie entitled "Hard to Watch." Well, I think that "The Following" has, if nothing else, become something that is truly difficult to watch. At the same time, if you've already set your DVR to record it, and you can skip the commercials, it also becomes something more along the lines of "hard to watch, yet, I almost want to see if they'll actually figure out how to write the script better one of these days"...

Overall...yeah, it's just gratuitous violence, and the plot leaves more than just a little to be desired, but I think I'll still DVR a few more episodes...
  67. Jun 24, 2014
    This show is entertaining and pretty violent, but that's it. The show is only getting a 4 with me because I was entertained. The show was nothing special. I'm not even watching the second season.
  68. Apr 22, 2013
    Of course there is some suspending of reality while watching anything on tv. However, this show takes the cake! As could be seen by way happened in Boston, this fool and his cohorts would have experienced so many more setbacks and most likely be dead or arrested after the first episode. That said, the premise is interesting, just very lazy writing. Huge lack of creativity beyondOf course there is some suspending of reality while watching anything on tv. However, this show takes the cake! As could be seen by way happened in Boston, this fool and his cohorts would have experienced so many more setbacks and most likely be dead or arrested after the first episode. That said, the premise is interesting, just very lazy writing. Huge lack of creativity beyond that base premise. Expand
  69. Jul 21, 2013
    The show was attractive at first for its premise and Kevin Bacon. However.its become a how-to-become a serial killer manual and showcase for the bumbling FBI and police. I dont see the charm or hold Joe Carroll has on his followers. And no one seems to have a moral conscience on this show. Not the writers, producers or any of the characters except for maybe 2. Its hard to watch. I usuallyThe show was attractive at first for its premise and Kevin Bacon. However.its become a how-to-become a serial killer manual and showcase for the bumbling FBI and police. I dont see the charm or hold Joe Carroll has on his followers. And no one seems to have a moral conscience on this show. Not the writers, producers or any of the characters except for maybe 2. Its hard to watch. I usually have to fast forward through some scenes. Even True Blood has more of a moral conscience and less reprehensible characters than The Following. Not sure if I'll watch season 2. Expand
  70. Nov 24, 2014
    I watch a lot of murder mysteries...Im a bit disappointed with this one. Police are total fools, including Kevin's character. First, we learn over time that the death row seriel killer has dozens of visitors...hmmm....nobody questions that, and really he is allowed to use the library and the internet in prison....hahahaha. After his first escape and capture they realize what he isI watch a lot of murder mysteries...Im a bit disappointed with this one. Police are total fools, including Kevin's character. First, we learn over time that the death row seriel killer has dozens of visitors...hmmm....nobody questions that, and really he is allowed to use the library and the internet in prison....hahahaha. After his first escape and capture they realize what he is about...about his unknown followers etc. Then a 2nd escape...that was so ridiculous...so does his lawyer really believe after she was tortured and threatened he would keep her alive after she helps him escape. And other characters.. How many times do you almost get killed, or you lose partners do you continue to try and deal with situations way out in the boonies in abandanded large buildings by yourself or with one other fellow officer? Even once they know they are targets by his followers (no protection details)...the entire series and its failure to catch the killer and his followers are all about idiot police and FBI.....even the wife of the seriel killer is stupid more then once tries to go on her own....all these followers and police/fbi people seem to think they wont get killed left to their own devices when dealing with the killer. Seems incredibliy irrational. Expand
  71. Mar 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First no off, I really wanted to like the show. First episode was pretty good and it just gets dumber and dumber each episode. A woman just spear gunned a lady in a restaurant and then walked away. walked. no one stopped her. last week they rescued the agent and could have GPSed the car. They didn't. The FBI might not be that good but they are not this bad. Expand
  72. May 1, 2013
    This show started with a pretty good premise, a serial killer-cult leader, but the idea quickly wore thin after about three episodes. After the fifth episode or so I lost interest because they ran out of surprises and the show was no longer entertaining. The characters, good guys and bad, were one-dimensional and not likeable. My wife wanted to keep watching so I continued to watch it withThis show started with a pretty good premise, a serial killer-cult leader, but the idea quickly wore thin after about three episodes. After the fifth episode or so I lost interest because they ran out of surprises and the show was no longer entertaining. The characters, good guys and bad, were one-dimensional and not likeable. My wife wanted to keep watching so I continued to watch it with her.

I had some hope that the finale might be good, but the dialogue and situations were completely ridiculous, and the violence was totally gratuitous. I will not watch next season, and my wife finally got turned off too.
  73. Jan 22, 2013
    Despite the interesting premise and the talented actors on board, 'The Following' is a major letdown. It's not the fact that the pilot episode is filled with predictable twists- the fact that the dialogue is so poor that it takes away from the soild performances of Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy- the fact that the violence is too over the top and gratuitous- It's the fact that the creatorsDespite the interesting premise and the talented actors on board, 'The Following' is a major letdown. It's not the fact that the pilot episode is filled with predictable twists- the fact that the dialogue is so poor that it takes away from the soild performances of Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy- the fact that the violence is too over the top and gratuitous- It's the fact that the creators promised us something different, but instead, gave us more of the same. Expand
  74. Jan 30, 2014
    As others have written; it is highly unbelievable that so many people would "worship" one man that was a lacklustre writer who had to quit that passion and become a teacher. That is some eal motivation for throwing away ones life away for the sake of one egotistically shallow twits schemes I must say (sarcasm be noted).
    The whole plot should have ended with the swat team storming the
    The whole plot should have ended with the swat team storming the farmhouse. But the fact that the swat "team" only stormed the building with 3 people is laughable. What's even more laughable is that the swat team didn't have the entire area surrounded with no more than 5 swat members.
    There would have been an entire squad of around 12 people. Personally I think the writers halved the squad numbers in order to help keep the show going or the show would probably have ended there. Which it should have. It really should have.
    As for the lawyer, going on live news without consulting the FBI with what Joe Carroll (girl name by the way) had requested her to do. She would have had license suspended and the FBI would have held her "in for questioning" as she would probably have been placed under suspicion for the crap she pulled off.
    Now as for the woman, Claire Matthews, I'm glad she died in the end of the season. All that wondering off on her own was the most irrational part of all the story in this whole season. TWO TIMES she went away to "see her son" and both times she got totally screwed over. And when she tried to escape that cyber geeks lair just to be caught again by the same geek less than a minute later? Well if she closed the door behind her he would have been locked in and thus couldn't catch her. She has a horrible habit of not closing doors behind her. Must have been raised in a barn.
    What really bored me was the fact that there were so many followers. It was like a god damned union of murderous rejects all coming together under a single banner called Joe. I think the writers were aiming for "lets make people get surprised by having random people turn out to be followers!" ... only it wasn't surprising.. it was more... "oh look, another one loser..."
    This show gets 3 points and here are the reasons. Kevin Bacon, Kevin Bacon, and the fact that the series finally ended before it got too **** stupid...
  75. Jan 28, 2013
    I really liked Kevin Bacon in this, but everyone else seems out of place. The dialogue is very bland, and it's unconvincing how people worship James Purefoy and follow him by killing college girls. All because he is so inspired by Edgar Allan Poe. I just don't buy a college professor turning into this methodical serial killer. The show would have been much better if Purefoy was an AgentI really liked Kevin Bacon in this, but everyone else seems out of place. The dialogue is very bland, and it's unconvincing how people worship James Purefoy and follow him by killing college girls. All because he is so inspired by Edgar Allan Poe. I just don't buy a college professor turning into this methodical serial killer. The show would have been much better if Purefoy was an Agent turned into a terrorist like what Homeland does. Oh well, spend your time watching something else Expand
  76. Feb 2, 2013
    I adore Kevin Bacon and I REALLY wanted to love the show; however, the reality is that I don't love it or even really like it. As a matter of fact, I find myself getting super frustrated when I watch it. I had to ignore my critical thinking skills to get though the 1st 2nd episodes. What it lacks in intelligent dialogue it certainly makes up for with graphic murders. I do agree that itI adore Kevin Bacon and I REALLY wanted to love the show; however, the reality is that I don't love it or even really like it. As a matter of fact, I find myself getting super frustrated when I watch it. I had to ignore my critical thinking skills to get though the 1st 2nd episodes. What it lacks in intelligent dialogue it certainly makes up for with graphic murders. I do agree that it will revive the works of Poe. I studied 6 of his works in college-I guess anything can be turned into a religion/cult, but I'm not convinced. M is appointed but sill slightly intrigued. With all the other smart and riveting shows right now, the writers of this one need to step it up a bit. I hope they do. Expand
  77. Feb 8, 2013
    I don't think that Kevin Bacon can carry this show... It seems hurried and banal. I can't swallow half of the situations that come up on very episode. I think this one is destined to be cancelled. Shock and awe are not working in this second rate attempt to a televised Silence of the Lambs.
  78. Feb 18, 2013
    When I saw Kevin Bacon was one of the stars, I had to check it... a real disappointment on the whole, Hollywood writers cranking out the same cliche fearporn... I watched hoping for some unexpected thing, some grabber.. but the predictability of writers cranking out reams of script under the direction of the same bunch of people in LA... what a shame they [the 3 letter corp that aired itWhen I saw Kevin Bacon was one of the stars, I had to check it... a real disappointment on the whole, Hollywood writers cranking out the same cliche fearporn... I watched hoping for some unexpected thing, some grabber.. but the predictability of writers cranking out reams of script under the direction of the same bunch of people in LA... what a shame they [the 3 letter corp that aired it and really all TV] are still a part of the propaganda front of the wealthy... who all but finished gaining control of the internet... Thank Good people for the ART that makes it out..... Expand
  79. Feb 23, 2013
    I have watched many shows because I appreciate the actors. Kevin Bacon has been a favorite actor for many years. Thus, I watched 3 episodes of The Following. I finally took it off of my series to record because it is constantly depressing. There are no "light" times. There are no characters for whom I care. I watch all sorts of shows with pedophiles and serial killers, but this showI have watched many shows because I appreciate the actors. Kevin Bacon has been a favorite actor for many years. Thus, I watched 3 episodes of The Following. I finally took it off of my series to record because it is constantly depressing. There are no "light" times. There are no characters for whom I care. I watch all sorts of shows with pedophiles and serial killers, but this show has taken me beyond what I can watch comfortably. That is saying a LOT! Expand
  80. Feb 25, 2013
    ok, this is just a very difficult premise and storyline to swallow. First off, criminals on death row are not allowed visitors, much less visits that are not recorded or video taped or watched off. Why does Claire just hop into a car, knowing you can't trust anything carrol does. While at the house where joey is being held, kevin bacon knows there are three followers on the premise, yetok, this is just a very difficult premise and storyline to swallow. First off, criminals on death row are not allowed visitors, much less visits that are not recorded or video taped or watched off. Why does Claire just hop into a car, knowing you can't trust anything carrol does. While at the house where joey is being held, kevin bacon knows there are three followers on the premise, yet doesn't seem to pay any attention to his surroundings. Why does the lawyer not talk to the FBI and just go into hiding rather than helping a serial killer just because he got someone to cut her fingers off? And lastly, is everyone involved in carrols plans? Eveery episode has a surprise follower. whether its the babysitter, gay neighbors, wife of one of the cultists, local cop.... just so bad. I wanted to like it so badly too Expand
  81. Mar 5, 2013
    How stupid naive do the writers think people are Nobody would do the things shown in this series. Common sense is totally missing by all law enforcement personnel. I find myself embarrassed for the characters actions at myself for watching this long.
  82. Mar 12, 2013
    I love Kevin Bacon in this but the writers have given so many flaws to this hero that he has absolutely no chance of success. For instance, Bacon's character has heart trouble, alcohol problems, apparently has no close friends or family, is unemployed after losing his job at the FBI, is FILLED with all kinds of unrealistic guilt and in love with a woman that he cant have. Not allI love Kevin Bacon in this but the writers have given so many flaws to this hero that he has absolutely no chance of success. For instance, Bacon's character has heart trouble, alcohol problems, apparently has no close friends or family, is unemployed after losing his job at the FBI, is FILLED with all kinds of unrealistic guilt and in love with a woman that he cant have. Not all members of law enforcement are geniuses but I have never seen a show portray the Law, collectively, as so grossly inept. Meanwhile, all the luck and the intelligence is given to the creepy bad guys. This show could have been a smart, addictive tale but, unfortunately, the writers have relied more on shock value than on quality story lines. Even good acting cant save that kind of show! Collapse
  83. Mar 16, 2013
    This show started off with promise, but has quickly turned frustrating. It is so easy to predict what is coming and who is the one that is going to turn on them. It is frustrating that Joe always has the upper hand and the FBI never seems to get even the simplest things right. They make them look really dumb on what seems a continual basis...they can't possibly get everything wrong allThis show started off with promise, but has quickly turned frustrating. It is so easy to predict what is coming and who is the one that is going to turn on them. It is frustrating that Joe always has the upper hand and the FBI never seems to get even the simplest things right. They make them look really dumb on what seems a continual basis...they can't possibly get everything wrong all the time? I think this will be short lived in our home. Expand
  84. Apr 23, 2013
    This was an interesting show for the first few episodes but now it has gotten predictable and formulaic. The villain Joe Carroll is pretentious and I don't buy him as a criminal mastermind. Kevin Bacon is great like always, but he can only do so much. I like a show with some balance and this show lacks it. I don't find it believable that the good guys can ever win since they areThis was an interesting show for the first few episodes but now it has gotten predictable and formulaic. The villain Joe Carroll is pretentious and I don't buy him as a criminal mastermind. Kevin Bacon is great like always, but he can only do so much. I like a show with some balance and this show lacks it. I don't find it believable that the good guys can ever win since they are portrayed as such goofball screw ups. It also seems far fetched that there are so many followers. The show has spent too long stacking the deck in the villains favor that a happy ending is now not practical. Expand
  85. Apr 29, 2013
    The first couple of episodes started out really well, the characters are interesting, the background story seemed to be though out and the plot seemed plausible.
    However after episode five it just all starts to get so unbelievable, especially after it was labeled as a thriller suspense series.
    If you want to keep people interested I would suggest, to spend some of the budget on bringing in some expert's who will advice you how FBI agents or any law enforcement officer might react in certain situations and write the scene accordingly.
    The whole show is lacking thought out dialogs and professional input and gets just to unbelievable the more the show continues.
    You want to see how a Profiler reacts when being pressured? Watch the original TV series "Profiler" 1996-2000 on NBC. That was a great series.
    Or watch the BBC series "Luther" to see how a man reacts when walking on the edge, both highly recommended and you can find them on the internet.
  86. Oct 25, 2013
    The plot makes the FBI total bumbling idiots which is not true. They shoot but don't hit what they aim at really? The bad guys get all the breaks. This is like watching a vampire series but with psycho serial killers instead. They feast as a group just like vampires. With different music it could be a comedy of screw ups. Who ever writes these episodes has serious problems of theThe plot makes the FBI total bumbling idiots which is not true. They shoot but don't hit what they aim at really? The bad guys get all the breaks. This is like watching a vampire series but with psycho serial killers instead. They feast as a group just like vampires. With different music it could be a comedy of screw ups. Who ever writes these episodes has serious problems of the definition of entertainment. Why not just make a series about native American Indians in the 1700 or 1800s kill each others tribes. That's all this show is about is quasi-civilized so called normal humans giving each other permission to kill without guilt. Expand
  87. Jan 2, 2014
    Every piece of fiction requires a suspension of disbelief to fully enjoy it. To enjoy this show requires suspension of reason. It's an underwhelming display of cat and mouse police work that makes waste of an intriguing premise, and since the writers aren't clever enough to write intelligent villains, the plot is shoved forward by the incompetence of the heroes. The characters here doEvery piece of fiction requires a suspension of disbelief to fully enjoy it. To enjoy this show requires suspension of reason. It's an underwhelming display of cat and mouse police work that makes waste of an intriguing premise, and since the writers aren't clever enough to write intelligent villains, the plot is shoved forward by the incompetence of the heroes. The characters here do very little actual thinking, just blundering forward to satisfy a plot that eschews logic for some cheap attempts at shock value. Efforts to evoke dramatic tension induce laughter. The show expects a viewer to believe that people would behave in flatly unbelievable ways, and the result can be insulting. Expand
  88. Jan 21, 2014
    What started out as a stylish and interesting thriller completely dissolved into an insipid and ridiculous series of cliches. The writers simply insult the viewers' intelligence with a series of plot twists more unbelievable than the next.
  89. Jan 26, 2014
    The series is very predictable and the actors do a good job overall, but the writing/storyline is awful. People in this series are so stupid and their actions to certain events are really unbelievable in how stupid they are. For example, a follower kills a person in plain daylight with hundreds of people witnessing the event, and the killer just walks out with none of the hundred ofThe series is very predictable and the actors do a good job overall, but the writing/storyline is awful. People in this series are so stupid and their actions to certain events are really unbelievable in how stupid they are. For example, a follower kills a person in plain daylight with hundreds of people witnessing the event, and the killer just walks out with none of the hundred of witnesses doing anything to try to stop the killer. Storyline does not really explain why people would follow this cult except that they have killed before. All personalities are one dimensional. Expand
  90. Jan 31, 2014
    Let me keep it simple and tell you - I liked the first 2 episodes but then I just couldn't believe how brain-dead and stupid the characters are in this show. The storyline turns into a unbelievable farce and it seems to me I need to have a good amount of alcohol in my blood believe the dump story. Because of Kevin Bacon and some other actors this series gets 3 points… otherwise it would beLet me keep it simple and tell you - I liked the first 2 episodes but then I just couldn't believe how brain-dead and stupid the characters are in this show. The storyline turns into a unbelievable farce and it seems to me I need to have a good amount of alcohol in my blood believe the dump story. Because of Kevin Bacon and some other actors this series gets 3 points… otherwise it would be 0 points.. Expand
  91. Apr 24, 2013
    Bacon works as hard as he can to save this show, but ultimately the writers are to blame. It moves from one clunky, contrived twist to the next, constantly insulting the viewers’ intelligence. Do they seriously expect us to believe that the FBI, especially post-911, would operate with such ineptitude?

And it seems that every episode was written with the aim of engineering a scene where one or two of the show’s good guys end up on their own in the dark, being stalked by some random knife-wielding maniac. You can probably glean a small amount of entertainment, as I have, from approaching the show as a comedy.
  92. Mar 18, 2013
    "Serial Killer Babysitters". "Occasional Serial Killers, Babysitting". If neither of those is clear enough, how about "Negligent Borderline-Incompetent, Misses-Every-Shot, Wimp Seeks Small Boy". True, the pilot was action packed and depraved with quite a high level of violence for people like me (who enjoy shows like that). Also true, the show immediately degenerated into a program"Serial Killer Babysitters". "Occasional Serial Killers, Babysitting". If neither of those is clear enough, how about "Negligent Borderline-Incompetent, Misses-Every-Shot, Wimp Seeks Small Boy". True, the pilot was action packed and depraved with quite a high level of violence for people like me (who enjoy shows like that). Also true, the show immediately degenerated into a program consisting of a failed FBI agent missing or misinterpreting nearly every clue while the writers dangle in front of our faces the correct answer so the FBI agent appears even more foolish when he doesn't get it, which is nearly always, and a little boy who is missing. Every episode is about a missing little boy. It is a show about a serial killer (who didn't actually kill very many of the people he is in prison for killing, which basically makes him a pansy who rode on the coat tails of a younger, blond, serial killer who did the heavy lifting, as it were, so he could become the famous ex-college-professor serial killer, 'cause that is so very likely to happen to a professor of gothic and romantic literature, for whatever whacked out reason he has in his literature professor mind) and it is also about his serial killer following (losers and weirdos) who, oddly, also don't kill very many people. Mostly, they babysit and talk about the little boy they are babysitting, hence my correction of the title to what it should have been, "Occasional Serial Killers, Babysitting". The lead FBI agent is as offensive to me (Criminologist, among other things, because, yes, I'm that smart) as any portrayal I can recall. None of the agents I have ever known were this incompetent. Yes, I've known some local cops who could not shoot very well but this "agent", played as wimpilly and milk-toast, by Kevin Bacon, as he would have been had he been played by a cardboard cut-out, of Kevin Bacon, (who is actually a brilliant actor when the script isn't so terrible). This agent misses nearly every shot, save those approximately two feet in front of him. He doesn't explain to the lady in this scenario (also a college professor) that she might not want to believe the criminal mastermind when she is told to go with his little buddy to see her son, nor does he explain to her that pretty much any agent would have done a better job finding her stupid little ruiner of everything (her kid), even, well, let's see, perhaps the ATF agent I knew who had the job of sitting at a desk doing almost nothing because he'd gotten so gosh darn old and just wouldn't retire. The FBI has an entire unit in this series hunting down a crew of horrible killers who have abducted a little boy and occasionally, again occasionally, kill a guy, maybe, if they have time and feel like it and aren't hungry or tired or busy babysitting said little boy. Meanwhile, in the real world, I could name five who killed over twenty people, two who killed over fifty, one who killed over one-hundred people before being caught or going dormant, and my degree is pushing fifteen years old. So, we are, as the audience, supposed to believe that this killer, probably one of the weakest and least prolific in the history of the world, is the worst of the worst, meriting the involvement of an entire unit of really poor detectives and a cripple, or whatever you call someone whose pacemaker makes him cry all the time. This is among the least interesting, least thought provoking serial killer storylines I've ever seen and is clearly written by a team with little to no background in such things. One thing is clear, these writers really love their children which is probably how they ended up having nothing else to say through this magnificent medium we call television. Don't watch it unless you want to be annoyed or are eating and not really paying attention. (I watch it as my Monday night fall-asleep show... and Tuesday... and Wednesday... and part of Thursday.) I give it a Two for exceptional production values. Expand
  93. Mar 5, 2013
    Kevin Bacon should be ashamed that he has attached his name to this product. I remember the days when I used to look forward to anything containing Kevin Bacon. I gave this show way too much of the benefit of the doubt and somehow managed to watch the first six episodes when I had spare time and literally nothing better to do. I had heard good things. I seriously have to question the tasteKevin Bacon should be ashamed that he has attached his name to this product. I remember the days when I used to look forward to anything containing Kevin Bacon. I gave this show way too much of the benefit of the doubt and somehow managed to watch the first six episodes when I had spare time and literally nothing better to do. I had heard good things. I seriously have to question the taste of the people who told me such good things. It is boring, over-the-top unrealistic, predictable and legitimately gets annoying at some points. Episode 7 is out now but I will gladly say I won't be wasting any more time. I wish I could get that time of my life back and maybe gain an extra hour of sleep for each episode. Expand
  94. Mar 21, 2014
    This show is the epitome of lazy and offensively stupid writing. Step 1: come up with something shocking to put on the screen: people gouging their own eyes out, dismembered cats, Rob Ford descending from the ceiling of a sorority house to kill a bunch of young women, whatever. Step 2: say "it's a cult." As long as there's a cult involved, people don't need to have personalities orThis show is the epitome of lazy and offensively stupid writing. Step 1: come up with something shocking to put on the screen: people gouging their own eyes out, dismembered cats, Rob Ford descending from the ceiling of a sorority house to kill a bunch of young women, whatever. Step 2: say "it's a cult." As long as there's a cult involved, people don't need to have personalities or motivations. They just do whatever the writers need them to do that week, brainwashed by the cult's message that... murder is art, or something. I mean, really, who wouldn't want to give up a career in the FBI or local law enforcement to just settle down and gouge out people's eyes because... well, no reason. It's a cult. Expand
  95. Mar 12, 2013
    I tried to like this show but finally gave up. It is simply an insult to my intelligence. How bad to the writers want to make the FBI look? (Not that they may not deserve it in reality...) At the end of the day why would I want to spend 98% of its showtime laughing at its faults in logic and sense. A good premise gone bad for lack of intelligent and realistic writing.
  96. Mar 12, 2013
    Nothing shatters believability, or ruins your ability to suspend logic and enjoy a show, worse than bad casting, and this show breaks new ground in that area. How in the world am I ever supposed to watch this 19-year old play the part of the guy in charge, of all things, and not have seeing him and hearing his yet-to-change voice rip me out of my suspended belief and cause me to realizeNothing shatters believability, or ruins your ability to suspend logic and enjoy a show, worse than bad casting, and this show breaks new ground in that area. How in the world am I ever supposed to watch this 19-year old play the part of the guy in charge, of all things, and not have seeing him and hearing his yet-to-change voice rip me out of my suspended belief and cause me to realize I'm watching a crappy TV show? This kid gives orders to people three times his age. How could he have possibly become so experienced, and why on earth did they cast someone so young to play a senior detective? I have to fast forward through his scenes, because it's the equivalent of casting a woman to play a man, a child to play an elderly person. it's ludicrous, and I can't, for the life of me, imagine how anybody could view that move as being beneficial to the success of the show. Expand
  97. Mar 19, 2013
    I really wanted to like this show, but I can not. So many simple editing mistakes. I do visit our local jail and my friend is allowed 11 people on the list; and it's hard to get on that list. A person must prove that they knew the person being jailed before sentence started. My friend is not on death row where I can only think rules are even more strick. I do like the acting, but theI really wanted to like this show, but I can not. So many simple editing mistakes. I do visit our local jail and my friend is allowed 11 people on the list; and it's hard to get on that list. A person must prove that they knew the person being jailed before sentence started. My friend is not on death row where I can only think rules are even more strick. I do like the acting, but the script sucks/are humans really so hopeless At least in criminal minds it raps up in a episode or 2... Expand
  98. Mar 21, 2013
    I enjoyed the first episode or two, then the implausibility of the plot and its characters became too much to handle. It's funny that such a notorious serial killer was allowed an unlimited number of visitors, never had a conversation taped, and had absolute ability to connect with the outside world not to mention the fact that he somehow has roped in hundreds of "followers" from insideI enjoyed the first episode or two, then the implausibility of the plot and its characters became too much to handle. It's funny that such a notorious serial killer was allowed an unlimited number of visitors, never had a conversation taped, and had absolute ability to connect with the outside world not to mention the fact that he somehow has roped in hundreds of "followers" from inside a maximum security facility. The 2nd huge beef I have is in the form of a question: What's the end-game of this series? Will we see a resolution of the Joe Carroll situation by the end of this season, or are the writers planning to continue to string us along with a new twist every week for the entire run of this series? My wife still enjoys watching, but I can barely watch the inanities pile up each week. Expand
  99. Mar 25, 2013
    Really tailing off now after a good start. Dream sequences are scraping the barrel, and a week before Easter, it's actually getting implausible to the point of meh, whatever...
  100. Apr 15, 2013
    Please!!! What is it with the FBI and the Keystone Cops who are constantly stumbling through stakeouts, getting killed by amateur criminals, and surrounding buildings like idiots? Its silly how inept they make the FBI out to be. I really wanted to like this show, but the writing is beyond horrible.
    Fire all the writers and start over or cancel this mess.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Part Greek tragedy, part “Silence of the Lambs” offspring, The Following has an intriguing premise that almost rises above its layered plotting.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    The Following, compelling and frustrating from its opening credits, sets viewers up for a season-long, blood-soaked rematch between an evil intellectual and his law-enforcement nemesis.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    [A] somewhat overheated but still fairly effective new thriller.