• Network: ABC Family
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 3, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.8

1. Jun 20, 2013
    The "0" ratings are clearly written by haters who have an agenda; some of these people admit that they have not watched the show, so they are not qualified to comment on its merits.

At a time when there are so few dramas on TV of any sort, The Fosters is a happy surprise. I have found the scenes between the parents and the teen-aged kids well acted and realistic, and the couple's dialogue and reactions very believable. I'm not sure how we even found it since we don't really watch ABC Family, but we are now DVR'ing the series and watch it as soon as it shows up on our list. Give it try.

I'm giving it a 10 in part to counteract the bogus "reviews," but I would have given it a high 8s, low 9s anyway. We're really enjoying it.
  2. Jun 22, 2013
    There are thousand of people watching the reviews, promos, and sneak peaks for this series. The Fosters is a show where there is love, family, and drama. I and many others think it is an amazing tv show and is wonderful for all ages to watch. There are some haters, but if abc family cancels this shows many will be upset and heart broken. This is a show I depend on. All of the actors haveThere are thousand of people watching the reviews, promos, and sneak peaks for this series. The Fosters is a show where there is love, family, and drama. I and many others think it is an amazing tv show and is wonderful for all ages to watch. There are some haters, but if abc family cancels this shows many will be upset and heart broken. This is a show I depend on. All of the actors have the perfect role and because of The Fosters viewers are starting to like Mondays. Please give the show a chance and don't upset the viewers who are obsessed and addicted to the show. I'm in love with the new tv series The Fosters! Expand
  3. Jun 25, 2013
    This show keeps on surprising me week by week. I just finished the fourth episode and I honestly think episode 4 was one of the best episodes ever witnessed on tv. I watch about 22 shows. (desperate housewives, friends, revenge, game of thrones, 2 broke girls, how I met your mother, revolution, mistresses, 90210, the fosters, pretty little liars, the lying game, the mindy project, awkward,This show keeps on surprising me week by week. I just finished the fourth episode and I honestly think episode 4 was one of the best episodes ever witnessed on tv. I watch about 22 shows. (desperate housewives, friends, revenge, game of thrones, 2 broke girls, how I met your mother, revolution, mistresses, 90210, the fosters, pretty little liars, the lying game, the mindy project, awkward, twisted, arrow, the x factor usa, the vampire diaries, the middle, once upon a time, lost girl, and finally community.) as you can see, I watch a lot of episodes and for its first season and only it's fourth episode, that was one of the most spectacular most heart touching and most intense episode yet on tv. Loved every half second of it. It's gonna make u scream out I WANT MORE! *after this comment ur gonna think im gonna give it a 10 but if you usually read my reviews you'd know I still haven't found this 10 rated show yet* This might be it though. Expand
  4. Jun 18, 2013
    This show is a huge disappointment. Don't watch. So many people were expecting better. The characters seem to struggle to connect with one another. It just doesn't seem real at all. Thumbs down.
  5. Jun 18, 2013
    We won't be watching this show. This show was poorly done. Abc family is really struggling to keep viewers. This show will just push away in viewers that it had left. Better invest in getting better shows to attract viewers.
  6. Jul 12, 2013
    The show addresses controversial topics that most would stay away from, yet it is able to captivate both kids and adults. Truly dramatic and unpredictable.
  7. Jul 2, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoy 'The Fosters' While at times the over-production is blatantly obvious (unrealistic perfection and perhaps overly attractive cast) the show has definite charm. It manages to put across powerfully positive messages without becoming saccharine or overly lecturing.
  8. Jul 2, 2013
    The "million moms" and other hate groups are targeting this show hard. Given that we just had some real crucial decisions from the Supreme Court of the United states regarding civil rights, people self-describing as Chicano/Latino/Hispanic, as well as, other peoples of color need to continue the solidarity that has been formed recently with the LGBTQ community.

This show is a great part

This show is a great part of that. The people posting zero scores are paid political operative or volunteer pawns of hate. This is the best show on TV currently and each of the actors delivers a nuanced and understandable character.

The couples have real problems, show real affection, and address real problems.

You can see the result in the reviews. This show is doing all the right things. One of the best reasons to have a Monday!
  9. Jul 4, 2013
    This is a great show for anyone to enjoy. It has heart and personality unlike most shows targeted towards adolescent viewers. Naturally some scenarios seem unrealistic at times but this is a cable television show and its sole purpose is to entertain an audience. People watch television to see into a different perspective and to be distracted from personal lives and The Fosters manages toThis is a great show for anyone to enjoy. It has heart and personality unlike most shows targeted towards adolescent viewers. Naturally some scenarios seem unrealistic at times but this is a cable television show and its sole purpose is to entertain an audience. People watch television to see into a different perspective and to be distracted from personal lives and The Fosters manages to do this as well as connect the audience to familiar situations that any human being can relate to. Collapse
  10. Jul 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So you have a cop and a school administrator living in a house that must cost about $3K a month to maintain. The actors aren't brilliant and the script is predictable. I hear that there are some people upset about the fact that Lena is so light skinned, that there are elements of the Hispanic community upset by Latino kids being raised by a lesbian couple and people saying that Steph and Lena don't show enough realistic passion.

And to all that I say go suck a lemon.

As a foster mom to three teens as well as our bio son, I can say that we depend on this show. I am mixed, my husband comes from a mixed family and our foster kids are Black teenagers in an inner city. Two of the kids are on track to become adopted permanently into our family. Our biological son adores his three older sisters. The day to day life portrayed in The Fosters mirrors ours on an uncanny and bizarre level. The week that they had the show where Brandon got annoyed because the shower was out of hot water by the time he got in there was the week that we implemented an egg-timer rule for our own bathroom. The week our youngest daughter came back from a Christian summer camp saying that gay people were going to burn in hell was the week that the show aired where the Rivieras stick up for Steph and Lena in a coherent way from a Christian perspective.

Oh, and our oldest foster daughter is gay. Now she gets to have a role model for a functional, relatable lesbian relationship. That alone is huge.

Don't even get me started on how hard it is to find time to maintain a relationship with your significant other when you have that many kids in the house. Thank you, Steph and Lena, for giving my husband and I moments to laugh and reconnect over.

Our youngest one has ADHD and is on meds. She's also dealing with reconciling with a drug addicted mom while waiting for permanency with us, and battling out the differences between biological and adoptive/foster families. Thank you Jesus and Marianna for tackling those issues as well.

I've never paid j-Lo much attention, honestly. I could probably name a few of her songs. But if I ever meet her, I will just have to thank her profusely for providing an opportunity for our own crazy, interracial, mixed up, unconventional family to safely discuss difficult issues. "What is family?" is an important question in 21st century America. The Fosters is tackling that question admirably. Predictably, maybe, and with somewhat stunted dialogue, but God Bless them for doing it.

I see this show in much the same way as I see the original series Star Trek. Gene Rodenberry was tackling the issues of race and identity during the 60"s and 70's through TV that was mediocre at best. The importance of the show wasn't the brilliant acting or the gripping story line, but the fact that people from oppressed communities were shown in a positive light. Uhuru, Sulu and Chekov were important and notable characters. Spock's struggles with his identity as a mixed being were gripping for the burgeoning mixed race group of kids coming up then. Objectively, Star Trek was mildly interesting as a show. It's the concept that has made a huge difference in popular culture.

The same with this show. To counteract disasters like "The Orphan" we have realistic teen foster kids who are dealing with the incredible burden of being a foster kid AND a teenager.

Haters gonna hate. But this family is going to continue to be at the edge of our seats until next show when we find out what's happening next in the lives of our favorite TV family. Love.
  11. Jun 8, 2013
    This is exactly the kind of drama we need. To be honest, I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of stereotypical crime dramas coming out, what we really need is something that touches our hearts. Something that isn't always about the drama, drama, drama. Even though it's good, it's just not as good as Parenthood. A lot of people have recommended shows like The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, etc.This is exactly the kind of drama we need. To be honest, I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of stereotypical crime dramas coming out, what we really need is something that touches our hearts. Something that isn't always about the drama, drama, drama. Even though it's good, it's just not as good as Parenthood. A lot of people have recommended shows like The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, etc. but I'm just not interested in those right now! Expand
  12. Jun 24, 2013
    As a hispanic, I am furious with this show. Our community does not appreciate this show at all. We want this show to be cancelled out of respect for the hispanics that disagree with this lifestyle.
  13. Jun 24, 2013
    I am a black woman and hate this show. To compare the black struggles we have had over the centuries to the gays is inappropriate. There is no comparison to what my ancestors and blacks today go thru. The black community is upset that gays are trying to use us blacks for their agenda. This show needs to be cancelled. We are upset and offended with this show. Yes, I have watched it and I amI am a black woman and hate this show. To compare the black struggles we have had over the centuries to the gays is inappropriate. There is no comparison to what my ancestors and blacks today go thru. The black community is upset that gays are trying to use us blacks for their agenda. This show needs to be cancelled. We are upset and offended with this show. Yes, I have watched it and I am still rating it a 0! Expand
  14. Jul 30, 2013
    I love The Fosters cause even though the cast is fake and everything it is realistic show. It brings the events and problems to my eye. So I think that they deserve a 10. T he Fosters ROCK!
  15. Jun 24, 2013
    I was glad to see anther hispanic upset with this show. I am also upset with the hispanic emphasis too. I know my community does not appreciate this show either or Jennifer Lopez. We used to like her work, but this had tainted our opinion of her. I also want this show to be cancelled.
  16. Jul 30, 2013
    I think that all this talk about it emphasizing the Hispanic community is BS. There just happens to be Hispanic characters, at least they show how kids deal with having a different heritage than their foster parents. Dora the Explorer, The Brothers Garcia and other kids shows heavily emphasized Hispanic culture but I've never heard those shows getting criticised for it. Why? The casting isI think that all this talk about it emphasizing the Hispanic community is BS. There just happens to be Hispanic characters, at least they show how kids deal with having a different heritage than their foster parents. Dora the Explorer, The Brothers Garcia and other kids shows heavily emphasized Hispanic culture but I've never heard those shows getting criticised for it. Why? The casting is diverse and the storylines are realistic which is what a family show is supposed to be about. It's one of the best written family dramas I've seen since the 90s.

Furthermore, as a non-white South African what homosexuals are going through now is exactly what we went through as a nation less than 20 years ago, I've had to deal with both racism and homophobia. Unless you actually went through one of these situations you cannot judge the other. You have no right to speak for your ancestors when you did not go what they went through. I commend Jennifer Lopez and ABC for their choice to produce this show.

I find accusing someone of racism when they haven't been doing so to hide your silly beliefs is insulting and far more racist. If you want to give the show a 0 rating because of it's portrayal of a homosexual relationship, have the balls to say that instead of hiding behind racist comments.
  17. Aug 2, 2013
    The show is wonderful. It has strong acting, and the it portrays the struggle of a loving caring real family with marital disagreements and caring parenting. The writing is good. The plot line draws you in. And while I respect diversity and difference of opinions, the negative reviews seem to be written by idiots. I am not a Mormon, but I don't give a show like "Sister Wives" a zeroThe show is wonderful. It has strong acting, and the it portrays the struggle of a loving caring real family with marital disagreements and caring parenting. The writing is good. The plot line draws you in. And while I respect diversity and difference of opinions, the negative reviews seem to be written by idiots. I am not a Mormon, but I don't give a show like "Sister Wives" a zero because my lifestyle is different. Rate the SHOW not your judgemental view of its values differing from yours. Also, Latinos complain there are not enough Latinos on TV. So here's a show with Latino character, and then there are complaints that of the chracter's belief system. Somoene says, "OUr community" wants this cancelled. I know many in the Latino community who love the show. I guess the referenced "our community" is the judgemental anti-family Hispanics. Because yeah, that's a family. Expand
  18. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first saw the promo for this show my partner and I said "NO WAY!!!" because it seemed to freakishly mirror our circumstances. She and I are aged late 30's -40's and are lesbians, with 4 permanently placed foster kids and 1 biological child. Seriously, what are the chances of seeing that in a tv show??! Our kids are younger than the teens on the show but the themes in each show are surprisingly similar to our real lives (except our real lives involve more shouting, arguing, messiness, a less fancy school and home and a number of pets). The episode where Jesus and Marianna are reconnecting with their bio-mum was very similar to our kids experiences with their bio-mum. The ADHD medication was a familiar situation for us. I did not rate this show 10/10 b/c one thing it is missing is demonstrating that most foster kids have a fairly high level of trauma-based behaviours that can be difficult to parent. All the teens in this show are so easy going in comparison to our real life experiences. But despite that, I want to thank ABC and Jennifer Lopez for being brave and airing a show that celebrates family diversity in this way, it's just wonderful. I wish there were many more examples of alternative families on tv right now. I just wish there were more than 10 episodes for Season 1. How can I hang on for Season 2 to air???? *shakes head in despair*
    I really love this show.

DNA doesn't make a family and love is love.
  19. Jan 7, 2014
    The fosters has really changed me I wasn't the whole first season in one day I am in love With the cast show & Mostly jake t Austin of course He is so sweet caring & puts people before him mostly his sister This Is Beyond The best tv drama I have seen I'm 14 & I got addicted right away That's really an inspirational show it taught me you should be who you wanna be with out beingThe fosters has really changed me I wasn't the whole first season in one day I am in love With the cast show & Mostly jake t Austin of course He is so sweet caring & puts people before him mostly his sister This Is Beyond The best tv drama I have seen I'm 14 & I got addicted right away That's really an inspirational show it taught me you should be who you wanna be with out being judged like Jude & The moms Stef & her wife I First started watching the show because I knew jake was in there but it's an amazing show everyone should tune in & watch Anyone who rates it low is stupid Expand
  20. Feb 6, 2014
    The Fosters is a great show that deals with the issues that most people want to pretend that do not exist. There are issues like religion, morality, homosexual relationships, teens, foster care system, and being married to law enforcement. People who hate it seem to have petty reasons. I don't like reality shows but I think our broadcasting should remain a free to air what they want.The Fosters is a great show that deals with the issues that most people want to pretend that do not exist. There are issues like religion, morality, homosexual relationships, teens, foster care system, and being married to law enforcement. People who hate it seem to have petty reasons. I don't like reality shows but I think our broadcasting should remain a free to air what they want. Wanting a show to cancel because you do not like it is shallow and self-center. Turn the channel if you are offended or not fond of it. I plan on watching the Fosters until the end! Once again, Great Show! Expand
  21. Aug 23, 2014
    What to say about The Fosters? Um, let me think...

( ) A series that I thought I wouldn't like, but ended up being one of the best I've ever seen? ( ) Has a spectacular story just portraying family relationships? ( ) Crazy stories that if you look for an certainly way make sense. ( ) An amazing series that makes you hate some laws. (xxxxxxx) All of the above. The 0 rates are
    What to say about The Fosters? Um, let me think...

( ) Has a spectacular story just portraying family relationships?
    ( ) Crazy stories that if you look for an certainly way make sense.
    ( ) An amazing series that makes you hate some laws.
    (xxxxxxx) All of the above.

The 0 rates are probably from idiot kids who don't appreciate series without supernatural ****
  22. Jul 13, 2013
    It is a shame that a show with so much potential to open discussions about family and the foster care system is so entirely uninteresting. What it does right: it portrays a family that despite many big "differences" is very much a normal family, with ordinary caring parents and typically difficult teenagers. What it does wrong: the "normal family" message drags the show into boringIt is a shame that a show with so much potential to open discussions about family and the foster care system is so entirely uninteresting. What it does right: it portrays a family that despite many big "differences" is very much a normal family, with ordinary caring parents and typically difficult teenagers. What it does wrong: the "normal family" message drags the show into boring territory. It fails to give us any reason to care about these characters, precisely because it has made them overly-sanitized nice folks. I don't watch TV for nice. Expand
  23. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am really surprised at the amount of zero ratings. As someone who tends to vote Republican even I can recognize good FAMILY tv! I gave it a 9 instead of 10 because occasionally the acting abilities of the actors seems widely disproportionate.. Like the adults (which you would expect) and I think the actors who play Wyatt and Marianna are noticeably better than the rest of the younger actors but even with that this is an awesome show and makes Monday nights! There isn't anything "cliché" about it so I'm always boggled when people say that some of the stories are too cliché.. When was the last time YOU saw a show about 2 lesbians raising a family? Also people tend to get upset with the Brandon and Callie storyline but I'm not sure if you were dropped into a "family" at 16 you'd be able to see these people as your brothers and sisters either. I really enjoy the storylines brought up on this show and I REALLY appreciate that they have a knack for not dragging things out too long. Overall can't wait for more episodes come January!! Expand
  24. Sep 23, 2014
    This is the epitome of anti-evolution.

Those with zero potential to conceive ought NOT be lauded. An infertal man&woman couple, the only form of marriage, there is a potential to conceive. There is zero potential between two instances of the same gender self evidently. Marriage is to bring children into the world in love.

Lust ought not be conflated with love.
  25. Oct 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh my, where to begin. This show is primarily geared towards the adolescent crowd. However, adults with open minds and open hearts can appreciate it as well. My college aged daughter turned her middle-aged parents on to the show. First and foremost, the theme song is lovely. There is lots of teenage angst and family drama. I read all of the reviews. Based on the lack of substance and objectivity in the negative reviews, those people haven't even bothered to watch the show. If you object to the show, don't watch it. Seriously though, its a must watch for teens and parents of teens. Some of us grandparents enjoy it too! Anyone who didn't get choked up at the scene in the hospital between Lena and the little girl is unfeeling and without depth or heart. There will always be detractors with an agenda, generally they show their ignorance with their lack of sensitivity and intelligence. It is a positive and inclusive show. What could be better! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Sarah Caldwell
    Jun 4, 2013
    If it sticks with the quiet, string cheese moments, it could end up being an understated--but provocative--must watch.
  2. Reviewed by: Maysa Hattab
    Jun 3, 2013
    The Fosters needs more than good intentions and tentative, sanitised handling of its subject to survive once a same-sex couple central to a US drama passes unnoticed.
  3. Reviewed by: Willa Paskin
    Jun 3, 2013
    A good ABC Family show is like a good beach read: great plot, great character, compelling without being too heavy. Its newest show certainly fits the bill.