• Network: A&E
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 11, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
7.3

1. Sep 6, 2010
    I love this show. I am truly amazed at the negative comments people have written about this show on this site, because I think it is the best thing I have seen in a long time, and I am a fan of CSI Miami. This is much more entertaining. I am glad Matt Passmore is finally getting attention in the US because he is so HOT, but I like all the characters. I hope this show goes on for a long time.
  2. Sep 6, 2010
    Love, love LOVE this show! The chemistry between all of the actors is terrific. Speaking of acting, I can't understand how a show like Rizzoli & Isles is getting high marks! Sure hope Glades is renewed for next season.
  3. Sep 13, 2010
    This is a show that has and hopefully will, for a long time, given me a lot of pleasure. Passmore is just great and along with the rest of the main characters makes this show extremely entertaining. I tape each weeks show and watch it, along with a few other shows, during the week when nothing is on that is worth watching. Even an older guy friend of mine that likes hardly anythingThis is a show that has and hopefully will, for a long time, given me a lot of pleasure. Passmore is just great and along with the rest of the main characters makes this show extremely entertaining. I tape each weeks show and watch it, along with a few other shows, during the week when nothing is on that is worth watching. Even an older guy friend of mine that likes hardly anything likes this show. Good luck and don't go away. First time I have ever written a review for anything. Expand
  4. Sep 14, 2010
    Well written, characters still need development, but love his sarcastic style and the complicated love interest in the show... well above average. I think if more people give it a try, it will catch on.
  5. Sep 24, 2010
    After the Law and Order reruns left A & E, I could not find a reason to watch this network until The Glades. I look forward to Sundays. I think these odd ball characters are original and the plots unique. Way to go A&E!
  6. Sep 9, 2010
    After catching the adverts for this show, i started watching it midway through the first season. Now I am completely Hooked....sigh...and i cant wait for Sunday nights.
    Matt Passmore is hypnotic, sexy, charismatic and i can't wait to see what he does next.

Kiele Sanchez is the hottie from The Perfect Getaway and i like her as well : )
  7. Sep 10, 2010
    Excellent show. This is one the wife and I set down to watch together. Never know who killed who until the last 5 minutes of hte show. That's the way I like it. I also like Morgan as Josie Tigertail. Hope to see more of her. It makes me think and it makes me laugh. Nice combination. not too many shows out there like that - refreshing.
  8. Oct 4, 2010
    I too, love this show. It is witty and romantic. Good writing. I really like Matt Passmore's lines. He comes across as believable. And, I can't wait to see more of him. This is way better than CSI Miami whose story lines are getting old. I like that this show is set in the Southern Florida. They show lots of places I can recognize. I get tired of everything being based in LosI too, love this show. It is witty and romantic. Good writing. I really like Matt Passmore's lines. He comes across as believable. And, I can't wait to see more of him. This is way better than CSI Miami whose story lines are getting old. I like that this show is set in the Southern Florida. They show lots of places I can recognize. I get tired of everything being based in Los Angeles. After awhile viewers get to see the same sets over and over again. Expand
  9. Oct 5, 2010
    I really love this show. It is so refreshing...fast-paced, great actors playing wonderful parts, the chemistry between Callie and Jim is wonderful without having them hop in bed on the first night. I don't get all these people (critics) giving poor reviews. they must not have seen the same show I did. I can't wait til the next season starts. This is my favorite way to spend SundayI really love this show. It is so refreshing...fast-paced, great actors playing wonderful parts, the chemistry between Callie and Jim is wonderful without having them hop in bed on the first night. I don't get all these people (critics) giving poor reviews. they must not have seen the same show I did. I can't wait til the next season starts. This is my favorite way to spend Sunday evening!!! Those Aussie guys are hot, aren't they??? Expand
  10. Oct 7, 2010
    this show is different-got tired of watching all the creepy pscyco stuff (criminal minds, csi) its the little things i like about the glades. like when callie ran into matt in store with the cart. hope it comes out on dvd, missed the first couple episodes.
  11. Oct 7, 2010
    A&E isn't a regular channel for me until "The Glades". This could be true life experience, it was for me. Matt is convincing as a cop & very nice looking. I plan my schedule around the show so I do not miss an episode. The entire cast are good actors & the show holds my attention,which, is hard to do. If this show got more advertising on other channels, "The Glades" would have enormousA&E isn't a regular channel for me until "The Glades". This could be true life experience, it was for me. Matt is convincing as a cop & very nice looking. I plan my schedule around the show so I do not miss an episode. The entire cast are good actors & the show holds my attention,which, is hard to do. If this show got more advertising on other channels, "The Glades" would have enormous following. I've shared details of the show with girlfriends; they all watch The Glades now. Expand
  12. Oct 7, 2010
    "LOVE" the glades; it's my favorite show! I never watched A&E until the glades but they have my vote now. Matt is fine! Kiele is very good actress. Love the heat between the two of them. We have girlfriends night out & a frined told us about the glades; seven new fans now!
  13. Oct 7, 2010
    My daughter has all the family and relatives watching the glades. My son-in-law & nephew are detectives & they both think Matt does excellent true to life role. A&E has approximately 33 new viewers with our family all on board. Both my wife and I love the glades,we never miss a show.
  14. Oct 7, 2010
    A&E has hit show with "The Glades". I don't miss an episode. My brew crew, includes 4 detectives on Dallas Police, we all think the show is great. It won't surprise me if another station buys the show.
  15. Sep 21, 2010
    http://tvtastic.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/the-glades-ae-sunday-1000-p-m/ I've been watching police procedural shows for years and I hate most of them that people seem to drool over. I gave up on the entire Law & Order franchise years go, I was never a fan of NYPD Blue (although I concede that it was occasionally entertaining) and I absolutely hate the inane CSI franchise and question thehttp://tvtastic.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/the-glades-ae-sunday-1000-p-m/ I've been watching police procedural shows for years and I hate most of them that people seem to drool over. I gave up on the entire Law & Order franchise years go, I was never a fan of NYPD Blue (although I concede that it was occasionally entertaining) and I absolutely hate the inane CSI franchise and question the intelligence of the millions of fans who think that it's actually any good. I could go into my hatred of CSI all day but I'm reserving that for a separate post. Needless to say, for a police procedural to really get my attention it has to be unique and well-written, but most importantly it has to be character-driven as opposed to event-driven which is what most of the generic police fare is. A few of the shows that really stand out in this genre and meet those standards over the last decade for me are The Wire (HBO), the short-lived but brilliant Boomtown (NBC), The Shield (FX) and most recently, one of my favorite new shows, Justified (FX, review forthcoming). Well, add The Glades to that list.

Like its predecessors, The Glades weaves excellent storytelling around and a well-written group of complex supporting characters with a central character that not only brings it all together but stands out as the reason to come back week-to-week. Passmore is brilliantly cast as Longworth, which is really no small feat because the truth is that the character could easily come off as the clichéd cocky, big fish/small pond, I'm-smarter-than-all-of-these-small-town-hicks cop who every week learns a little lesson from living in small town America that gives him a greater appreciation for his colleagues. We, of course, have seen this more than once in TV and film and of course we're bored by it. Instead, though, Longworth, cocky as he is, is cocky for a reason: he's a really good cop, knows it, but isn't arrogant about it. It's just kind of a matter-of-fact deal with him but he respects his fellow colleagues who are competent and though he's tolerant of his unmotivated colleagues like his partner, he recognizes their weaknesses and just goes about his business to make sure that they don't impede his work. The point is that unlike other clichéd cops on TV, Longworth isn't all up in anybody's face about how good he is and how bad anyone else is, he just does the job and does it well. The character is witty and sarcastic and as a viewer you appreciate his ability to think outside of the box to bring clues together from unexpected sources.

Another reason why I put The Glades into the category of unique police procedurals is because it does something that most cop shows really don't do: it makes the town of Palm Glades, Florida as important of a supporting character as anyone else in the cast, as opposed to just a backdrop for the drama. All of the other shows I mentioned all have this in common. The Wire with Baltimore, The Shield and Boomtown with Los Angeles and Justified with Leland, Kentucky. I always appreciate shows that understand that the locale is an integral character to any good story. It provides a depth to all of the live characters and their perspectives and it acts as a device to truly engage the audience, giving them a sense that they too, truly know what it's like to be from Baltimore, L.A. or even Leland, Kentucky, even though they may have never even been there before. This approach has been done in film for decades but it is a relatively new concept in television and almost non-existent on network television. That being said, it's entirely refreshing that a central character of The Glades is the Glades itself.

The pilot was excellent and the writing near flawless, albeit a bit rushed at the end because it's obvious that they were trying to cram character development/establishment and a complex plot all into one hour (NOTE TO A&E: If a show is as good as The Glades is, a two-hour pilot will keep our attention). The story takes us on Longworth's journey to connect clues and if you blink, you might miss something which is of course the true sign of a good mystery. The twist at the end is brilliant and of the quality you would expect from premium channels like HBO or Showtime (again, I just wished it wasn't so rushed) and believe me, unlike everyone spoiling Shutter Island by telling you there's a twist and ergo you expected it (and like me, probably figured it within the first 20 minutes), it is highly unlikely you will expect this particular twist even though you know one is coming. I just hope that they keep the twists coming like this every week.
  16. Oct 4, 2010
    Starmarj

I watched this show all day Sunday. Can't wait for season two. The acting is so natural and beliveable! Australia surely has the best looking male actors!!!
  17. May 23, 2011
    I applaud the creators, writers and cast of this show. As someone who truly loves the story line of NCIS but hates the blood, guts and gore I am excited that someone is producing great homocide stories without it. I have to leave the room umpteen times during NCIS and most other homocide shows with forensic highlights because I can't stomach what t.v. is doing to us and our culture.I applaud the creators, writers and cast of this show. As someone who truly loves the story line of NCIS but hates the blood, guts and gore I am excited that someone is producing great homocide stories without it. I have to leave the room umpteen times during NCIS and most other homocide shows with forensic highlights because I can't stomach what t.v. is doing to us and our culture. This plotline and the acting can compete with the NCIS quick quips format and the actors can do the concepts justice. I completely disagree with those who are yawning and otherwise negative about this show. Thank you for giving us a show we can watch and not have to leave the room because we need to vomit over graphics. I will watch this show when it is released in prime time before NCIS, although I love the actors and the acting in that show. Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    This show could be a decent watch if they got rid of Callie. She's the worst character on the show. Compare it with Justified for instance--you can't! Justified is way better. Anyway, I finally couldn't take Callie anymore and dropped the show from my watch list. Can't believe people think Callie is great--why??
  19. Aug 13, 2010
    Could be mildly entertaining like Burn Notice or White Collar but the director needs to polish his style. The Lead actor is probably a very good actor but it seems he is being directed to respond quick and quirky without ever taking in anything from any other actor. My advice to the director: slow down. what you lose in the screwball comedy delivery you will gain in some suspension ofCould be mildly entertaining like Burn Notice or White Collar but the director needs to polish his style. The Lead actor is probably a very good actor but it seems he is being directed to respond quick and quirky without ever taking in anything from any other actor. My advice to the director: slow down. what you lose in the screwball comedy delivery you will gain in some suspension of disbelief. Also in the first few episodes kids are involved in the crimes. there are a lot of kids in this series. why? So far the show is annoying but could find its rhythm and earn a mildly entertaining 5 or 6 out of ten... if they wk hard and get better directors. Expand
  20. Aug 13, 2010
    Why do I feel like I have to pay attention to boring stuff to enjoy this show? Did the producers think Matt Passmore could carry this show by himself? A clever caustic detective is nothing new. A Cliqued convention. What this show needed was more interesting character to partner Long-worth up with. Instead they used more political. Daniel Green (Jordan Wall) was a good move but he shouldWhy do I feel like I have to pay attention to boring stuff to enjoy this show? Did the producers think Matt Passmore could carry this show by himself? A clever caustic detective is nothing new. A Cliqued convention. What this show needed was more interesting character to partner Long-worth up with. Instead they used more political. Daniel Green (Jordan Wall) was a good move but he should have been right next to Jim, not stuck in some lab. This show needs a serious overhaul or it's a waste of time and money. These guys should try to find some next generation writers(now). Expand
  21. Aug 13, 2010
    cant stand this its painful to watch cant wait for criminal minds to get its 10:00 and 11:00 spot back when this gets taken off A&E. Its the biggest waste of a show it just comes across as annoying but hopefully we wont have to sit through it much longer
  22. Jul 18, 2011
    I live in Florida and this show certainly reminds me of large portions of it: Great tropical vistas in the forefront, shallow waters in the back. Passmore is likeable for about 3-4 episodes until we realize that his acting skills go from smirk to grin to forced puzzlement, to smirk, grin.....

. My wife likes the relationship he has with the nurse, but the length of time they keep these two on a sexual consumation leash is a quaintness that I thought died with the Hudson/Day era. So far my wife and I have picked out the killer in the first 10 minutes 90% of the time. In the last episode I proudly picked out the killer within 3 seconds of her appearance. Cute blond artist piques detective's libido! She has to go! 2 cuties to roil the plot is all that is allowed! Hey it's summer TV.
  23. Sep 22, 2010
    Here's the premise. Jim is a genius who can solve any murder. The formula for solving his cases is as follows: 1. It's never, ever the first suspect even though they've lied and admitted to wanting the victim dead. 2. It's never the second suspect even though they were vague and in a hurry when talking to the cops about a murder and 3. It's the 3rd person he questions. Throw in a wittyHere's the premise. Jim is a genius who can solve any murder. The formula for solving his cases is as follows: 1. It's never, ever the first suspect even though they've lied and admitted to wanting the victim dead. 2. It's never the second suspect even though they were vague and in a hurry when talking to the cops about a murder and 3. It's the 3rd person he questions. Throw in a witty comment about he doesn't follow the rules and the case is solved. Thanks for being a genius, Jim. Expand
  24. Oct 3, 2010
    This is a great show. Love Matt Passmore and his wit and willingness to NOT follow norms while still doing an excellent job. But, wish the nurse would be less snarky and moody. Sheesh! Get the character on antidepressants or something. And, quit talking through the nose, please?
  25. Oct 4, 2010
    This is such a stupid tv show. I tried to watch it, but only put up with it while my husband watches it. The medical examiner drops everything to go with the renegade cop who doesn't follow any type of protocol. I'm surprised the actors (who seem to be somewhat talented) are able to get through each episode with a straight face.
  26. Dec 7, 2010
    One of the worst detective shows ever created. Dialogue like running nails down a blackboard, characters that are obvious, stereotyped and completely unrecognizable as human beings, clunky and awkward performances, shocking segues, dodgy camera work - there is nothing redeemable in this program at all. Passmore is a borish drone, he could be arrested for stalking with his behaviour to hisOne of the worst detective shows ever created. Dialogue like running nails down a blackboard, characters that are obvious, stereotyped and completely unrecognizable as human beings, clunky and awkward performances, shocking segues, dodgy camera work - there is nothing redeemable in this program at all. Passmore is a borish drone, he could be arrested for stalking with his behaviour to his cardboard cutout girlfriend, and what value did she add again. I tuned out after fifteen minutes. It's fifteen minutes I'll never get back. Expand
  27. Jun 12, 2011
    This is a great show - a nice mix of procedural and character development. The writing is excellent and the actors very believable. I read some of the negative reviews and wondered if we were watching the same show. Must see show for me every week.
  28. Jul 9, 2011
    The Glades is simple, straightforward crime drama with a low-key, accomplished cast. It's minimalist and fun. After years of cops with psychic abilities, neuroses, magical powers and other assorted schlock, it's riveting to watch Passmore and company just work the script. Bravo.
  29. Nov 18, 2011
    Longworth is SO ANNOYINGLY smart-azzed and won't shut up, and some of the acting (blonde bimbo) is so atrociously bad mumbly-mumble that this turkey won't fly. I HATE it.
  30. Dec 30, 2011
    I loved the pilot episode but the story telling in this show went straight down hill after that to the point where its just another generic detective show. The lead actor is good and he has a solid supporting cast as well. Its just the writing that kills it for me. Its a rather short season so I would say give it a shot but dont expect a masterpiece.
  31. Jun 4, 2013
    The more I watch it, The less I like it. I wouldn't mind revisiting the show every once and a while but watching it on a constant basis gets rather annoying at times. It's a likeable show but it has become more of a back burner for me and I wouldn't watch it unless I had nothing else to watch or I was sick of what I am currently watching.
  32. Jul 27, 2012
    Arrogant cop,
    Treat even the innocent suspects in a brutal way
    Annoying and unnecessary drama
    (the whole will they wont they nonsense)

Zero intelligence in the show
    Writing is very mediocre
    Plots make you want to sleep
    The characters have been written a million times before

Ohh, how original!!!

Only 1 point for the location selection:
    Florida
  33. Aug 1, 2012
    I have given this show a really good go but it just gets worse. Matt Passmore plays Longworth as a smarmy , arrogant jerk. And not well. Which is a shame because I thought he was better than this. As for the rest of the "actors" acting ..... it's terrible. I thought the worst was Kiele Sanchez but Taylor Cole now takes the cake. Terribly miscast actors with unbelievable performances ofI have given this show a really good go but it just gets worse. Matt Passmore plays Longworth as a smarmy , arrogant jerk. And not well. Which is a shame because I thought he was better than this. As for the rest of the "actors" acting ..... it's terrible. I thought the worst was Kiele Sanchez but Taylor Cole now takes the cake. Terribly miscast actors with unbelievable performances of ludicrous dialogue. Each show is a template of the one before. I mean, come on! Taylor Cole looks like a 20 year old and she's supposed to be the FDLE Bureau Chief/Commisioner. I know in TV you may have to suspend disbelief occasionally but the writers/producers treat their audience with near disdain. AND the worst is the KIA product placement. It isn't even subtle. Outright plugging of their vehicles by the actors and sweeping car commercial-like camera work. My girlfriend and I now only occasionally watch it when we want to laugh. How can this be in it's 3rd season. I think that if this rates over a 7 then it is truly dire times for the intelligence of the U.S. Expand
  34. Aug 8, 2012
    Okay show however the writers really should research their material more. Just finished watching S2 E3 - What does `Her Hormonal levels are parabolic mean. They find a radio and state - this radio has a range of 15 miles our search area is now reduced to 70 miles. My math for an area of a circle is pi r squared which would be over 400 sq miles. Finally Calli sees a woman`s stomach andOkay show however the writers really should research their material more. Just finished watching S2 E3 - What does `Her Hormonal levels are parabolic mean. They find a radio and state - this radio has a range of 15 miles our search area is now reduced to 70 miles. My math for an area of a circle is pi r squared which would be over 400 sq miles. Finally Calli sees a woman`s stomach and knows she has a child because of the eyelid of skin over her belly button which apparently all women get after giving birth. What - my wife has had 5 kids and no such structure. This episode was really bad. Writers should be ashamed. Expand
  35. Feb 13, 2013
    I like the setting. I like the characters. It's good and has some potential, but definitely not brilliant and far from being a must-watch show. Anyway, the pilot was the best episode so far. Hope it gets better on season 02, otherwise I'll abandon it.
  36. Jun 6, 2013
    I just started watching the show, made it through Seasons 1 and 2. I immensely enjoyed Season 1 and about half-way through Season 2. Matt Passmore was funny and, of course, very good eye candy. About half-way through Season 2, he went from being funny to just plain nasty and sarcastic with all everyone he interviewed; he now reminds of that super nasty Sara girl on the original CSI.I just started watching the show, made it through Seasons 1 and 2. I immensely enjoyed Season 1 and about half-way through Season 2. Matt Passmore was funny and, of course, very good eye candy. About half-way through Season 2, he went from being funny to just plain nasty and sarcastic with all everyone he interviewed; he now reminds of that super nasty Sara girl on the original CSI. Every one of the people interviewed was out and out accused of being the murderer. And, they started handcuffing and taking people in to interview, without any evidence. In one episode, his boss made the statement that illegal aliens could not get marriage licenses. It looks like the writers would google things like that and arresting people to interview on a whim before they write things that 99% of the population knows are complete nonsense. I don't dislike Callie, but when she's nice, she's very nice. When she's in a mood, she's super-nasty and presented as the stereotypical woman. She tells Jim to explore his relationship with the other girl. He does it, and she's so nasty to him that I had to fast forward rather than listen to it. And, she was back hanging out with her husband just out of prison while she's throwing Jim attitude....irrational. I'll try a few episodes in Season 3, see if it gets back to being totally enjoyable. Show's usually start running out of material after a few seasons, then the personal drama is thrown in ad nauseum and becomes unbearable. Expand
  37. Nov 9, 2013
    This has been one of my favorite TV shows, and I'm so glad they decided to renew it! It's funny because at first, the lead character Jim, kind of annoys you, but then you realize that's part of his detective tactics, and then you learn to fall in love with him. He's funny, smart and always gets his criminal. The story between he and his fiancé has increased the tension and interest.

1. Reviewed by: Archana Ram
    [Matt Passmore's character's] devil-may-care attitude may sometimes verge on annoying, but ultimately gives the serious premise a welcome light touch.
  2. In the end, the series itself is something fresh, welcome and a little tart -- and just like a nice citrus fruit, it'll be hard to stop with just one of these.
    The Glades isn't bad, it just feels older than a swamp gator--and as hungry as one for some fresh meat.