The Glades : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jul 11, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.2

1. Nov 9, 2013
    This has been one of my favorite TV shows, and I'm so glad they decided to renew it! It's funny because at first, the lead character Jim, kind of annoys you, but then you realize that's part of his detective tactics, and then you learn to fall in love with him. He's funny, smart and always gets his criminal. The story between he and his fiancé has increased the tension and interest.
  2. Jul 9, 2011
    The Glades is simple, straightforward crime drama with a low-key, accomplished cast. It's minimalist and fun. After years of cops with psychic abilities, neuroses, magical powers and other assorted schlock, it's riveting to watch Passmore and company just work the script. Bravo.
  3. Jun 12, 2011
    This is a great show - a nice mix of procedural and character development. The writing is excellent and the actors very believable. I read some of the negative reviews and wondered if we were watching the same show. Must see show for me every week.
  4. May 23, 2011
    I applaud the creators, writers and cast of this show. As someone who truly loves the story line of NCIS but hates the blood, guts and gore I am excited that someone is producing great homocide stories without it. I have to leave the room umpteen times during NCIS and most other homocide shows with forensic highlights because I can't stomach what t.v. is doing to us and our culture.I applaud the creators, writers and cast of this show. As someone who truly loves the story line of NCIS but hates the blood, guts and gore I am excited that someone is producing great homocide stories without it. I have to leave the room umpteen times during NCIS and most other homocide shows with forensic highlights because I can't stomach what t.v. is doing to us and our culture. This plotline and the acting can compete with the NCIS quick quips format and the actors can do the concepts justice. I completely disagree with those who are yawning and otherwise negative about this show. Thank you for giving us a show we can watch and not have to leave the room because we need to vomit over graphics. I will watch this show when it is released in prime time before NCIS, although I love the actors and the acting in that show. Expand
  5. Oct 7, 2010
    A&E has hit show with "The Glades". I don't miss an episode. My brew crew, includes 4 detectives on Dallas Police, we all think the show is great. It won't surprise me if another station buys the show.
  6. Oct 7, 2010
    My daughter has all the family and relatives watching the glades. My son-in-law & nephew are detectives & they both think Matt does excellent true to life role. A&E has approximately 33 new viewers with our family all on board. Both my wife and I love the glades,we never miss a show.
  7. Oct 7, 2010
    "LOVE" the glades; it's my favorite show! I never watched A&E until the glades but they have my vote now. Matt is fine! Kiele is very good actress. Love the heat between the two of them. We have girlfriends night out & a frined told us about the glades; seven new fans now!
  8. Oct 7, 2010
    A&E isn't a regular channel for me until "The Glades". This could be true life experience, it was for me. Matt is convincing as a cop & very nice looking. I plan my schedule around the show so I do not miss an episode. The entire cast are good actors & the show holds my attention,which, is hard to do. If this show got more advertising on other channels, "The Glades" would have enormousA&E isn't a regular channel for me until "The Glades". This could be true life experience, it was for me. Matt is convincing as a cop & very nice looking. I plan my schedule around the show so I do not miss an episode. The entire cast are good actors & the show holds my attention,which, is hard to do. If this show got more advertising on other channels, "The Glades" would have enormous following. I've shared details of the show with girlfriends; they all watch The Glades now. Expand
  9. Oct 7, 2010
    this show is different-got tired of watching all the creepy pscyco stuff (criminal minds, csi) its the little things i like about the glades. like when callie ran into matt in store with the cart. hope it comes out on dvd, missed the first couple episodes.
  10. Oct 5, 2010
    I really love this show. It is so refreshing...fast-paced, great actors playing wonderful parts, the chemistry between Callie and Jim is wonderful without having them hop in bed on the first night. I don't get all these people (critics) giving poor reviews. they must not have seen the same show I did. I can't wait til the next season starts. This is my favorite way to spend SundayI really love this show. It is so refreshing...fast-paced, great actors playing wonderful parts, the chemistry between Callie and Jim is wonderful without having them hop in bed on the first night. I don't get all these people (critics) giving poor reviews. they must not have seen the same show I did. I can't wait til the next season starts. This is my favorite way to spend Sunday evening!!! Those Aussie guys are hot, aren't they??? Expand
  11. Oct 4, 2010
    Starmarj

I watched this show all day Sunday. Can't wait for season two. The acting is so natural and beliveable! Australia surely has the best looking male actors!!!
  12. Oct 4, 2010
    I too, love this show. It is witty and romantic. Good writing. I really like Matt Passmore's lines. He comes across as believable. And, I can't wait to see more of him. This is way better than CSI Miami whose story lines are getting old. I like that this show is set in the Southern Florida. They show lots of places I can recognize. I get tired of everything being based in LosI too, love this show. It is witty and romantic. Good writing. I really like Matt Passmore's lines. He comes across as believable. And, I can't wait to see more of him. This is way better than CSI Miami whose story lines are getting old. I like that this show is set in the Southern Florida. They show lots of places I can recognize. I get tired of everything being based in Los Angeles. After awhile viewers get to see the same sets over and over again. Expand
  13. Oct 3, 2010
    This is a great show. Love Matt Passmore and his wit and willingness to NOT follow norms while still doing an excellent job. But, wish the nurse would be less snarky and moody. Sheesh! Get the character on antidepressants or something. And, quit talking through the nose, please?
  14. Sep 24, 2010
    After the Law and Order reruns left A & E, I could not find a reason to watch this network until The Glades. I look forward to Sundays. I think these odd ball characters are original and the plots unique. Way to go A&E!
  15. Sep 21, 2010
    http://tvtastic.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/the-glades-ae-sunday-1000-p-m/ I've been watching police procedural shows for years and I hate most of them that people seem to drool over. I gave up on the entire Law & Order franchise years go, I was never a fan of NYPD Blue (although I concede that it was occasionally entertaining) and I absolutely hate the inane CSI franchise and question thehttp://tvtastic.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/the-glades-ae-sunday-1000-p-m/ I've been watching police procedural shows for years and I hate most of them that people seem to drool over. I gave up on the entire Law & Order franchise years go, I was never a fan of NYPD Blue (although I concede that it was occasionally entertaining) and I absolutely hate the inane CSI franchise and question the intelligence of the millions of fans who think that it's actually any good. I could go into my hatred of CSI all day but I'm reserving that for a separate post. Needless to say, for a police procedural to really get my attention it has to be unique and well-written, but most importantly it has to be character-driven as opposed to event-driven which is what most of the generic police fare is. A few of the shows that really stand out in this genre and meet those standards over the last decade for me are The Wire (HBO), the short-lived but brilliant Boomtown (NBC), The Shield (FX) and most recently, one of my favorite new shows, Justified (FX, review forthcoming). Well, add The Glades to that list.

Like its predecessors, The Glades weaves excellent storytelling around and a well-written group of complex supporting characters with a central character that not only brings it all together but stands out as the reason to come back week-to-week. Passmore is brilliantly cast as Longworth, which is really no small feat because the truth is that the character could easily come off as the clichéd cocky, big fish/small pond, I'm-smarter-than-all-of-these-small-town-hicks cop who every week learns a little lesson from living in small town America that gives him a greater appreciation for his colleagues. We, of course, have seen this more than once in TV and film and of course we're bored by it. Instead, though, Longworth, cocky as he is, is cocky for a reason: he's a really good cop, knows it, but isn't arrogant about it. It's just kind of a matter-of-fact deal with him but he respects his fellow colleagues who are competent and though he's tolerant of his unmotivated colleagues like his partner, he recognizes their weaknesses and just goes about his business to make sure that they don't impede his work. The point is that unlike other clichéd cops on TV, Longworth isn't all up in anybody's face about how good he is and how bad anyone else is, he just does the job and does it well. The character is witty and sarcastic and as a viewer you appreciate his ability to think outside of the box to bring clues together from unexpected sources.

Another reason why I put The Glades into the category of unique police procedurals is because it does something that most cop shows really don't do: it makes the town of Palm Glades, Florida as important of a supporting character as anyone else in the cast, as opposed to just a backdrop for the drama. All of the other shows I mentioned all have this in common. The Wire with Baltimore, The Shield and Boomtown with Los Angeles and Justified with Leland, Kentucky. I always appreciate shows that understand that the locale is an integral character to any good story. It provides a depth to all of the live characters and their perspectives and it acts as a device to truly engage the audience, giving them a sense that they too, truly know what it's like to be from Baltimore, L.A. or even Leland, Kentucky, even though they may have never even been there before. This approach has been done in film for decades but it is a relatively new concept in television and almost non-existent on network television. That being said, it's entirely refreshing that a central character of The Glades is the Glades itself.

The pilot was excellent and the writing near flawless, albeit a bit rushed at the end because it's obvious that they were trying to cram character development/establishment and a complex plot all into one hour (NOTE TO A&E: If a show is as good as The Glades is, a two-hour pilot will keep our attention). The story takes us on Longworth's journey to connect clues and if you blink, you might miss something which is of course the true sign of a good mystery. The twist at the end is brilliant and of the quality you would expect from premium channels like HBO or Showtime (again, I just wished it wasn't so rushed) and believe me, unlike everyone spoiling Shutter Island by telling you there's a twist and ergo you expected it (and like me, probably figured it within the first 20 minutes), it is highly unlikely you will expect this particular twist even though you know one is coming. I just hope that they keep the twists coming like this every week.
  16. Sep 14, 2010
    Well written, characters still need development, but love his sarcastic style and the complicated love interest in the show... well above average. I think if more people give it a try, it will catch on.
  17. Sep 13, 2010
    This is a show that has and hopefully will, for a long time, given me a lot of pleasure. Passmore is just great and along with the rest of the main characters makes this show extremely entertaining. I tape each weeks show and watch it, along with a few other shows, during the week when nothing is on that is worth watching. Even an older guy friend of mine that likes hardly anythingThis is a show that has and hopefully will, for a long time, given me a lot of pleasure. Passmore is just great and along with the rest of the main characters makes this show extremely entertaining. I tape each weeks show and watch it, along with a few other shows, during the week when nothing is on that is worth watching. Even an older guy friend of mine that likes hardly anything likes this show. Good luck and don't go away. First time I have ever written a review for anything. Expand
  18. Sep 10, 2010
    Excellent show. This is one the wife and I set down to watch together. Never know who killed who until the last 5 minutes of hte show. That's the way I like it. I also like Morgan as Josie Tigertail. Hope to see more of her. It makes me think and it makes me laugh. Nice combination. not too many shows out there like that - refreshing.
  19. Sep 9, 2010
    After catching the adverts for this show, i started watching it midway through the first season. Now I am completely Hooked....sigh...and i cant wait for Sunday nights.
    Matt Passmore is hypnotic, sexy, charismatic and i can't wait to see what he does next.

Kiele Sanchez is the hottie from The Perfect Getaway and i like her as well : )
  20. Sep 6, 2010
    I love this show. I am truly amazed at the negative comments people have written about this show on this site, because I think it is the best thing I have seen in a long time, and I am a fan of CSI Miami. This is much more entertaining. I am glad Matt Passmore is finally getting attention in the US because he is so HOT, but I like all the characters. I hope this show goes on for a long time.
  21. Sep 6, 2010
    Love, love LOVE this show! The chemistry between all of the actors is terrific. Speaking of acting, I can't understand how a show like Rizzoli & Isles is getting high marks! Sure hope Glades is renewed for next season.
  22. Celli
    Jul 18, 2010
    Passmore is a breath of fresh air, the supporting characters--esp. the "intern," contribute well to the mix. His character is intelligent, too witty (for his own goo, but eventually, that's what we like about him), and his takes-his-job-but-not-himself seriously attitude plays off well. I'm from Chicago and I can't believe the largely less-than-stellar reviews. While Dennis Passmore is a breath of fresh air, the supporting characters--esp. the "intern," contribute well to the mix. His character is intelligent, too witty (for his own goo, but eventually, that's what we like about him), and his takes-his-job-but-not-himself seriously attitude plays off well. I'm from Chicago and I can't believe the largely less-than-stellar reviews. While Dennis Farina plays a good senior cop, it's great to see a young one who doesn't have life completely figured out yet. Expand
  23. SuncatcherB.
    Jul 18, 2010
    I really liked this show. Passmore does a great job holding it together in a quirky / fresh sort of way. He's endearing but not afraid to shoot you. I like the supporting cast and think that, given a few more episodes, they will bond nicely. If the producers leaves them alone to do so, we might just have a different and pleasurable show to watch out of what has been a pathetic and I really liked this show. Passmore does a great job holding it together in a quirky / fresh sort of way. He's endearing but not afraid to shoot you. I like the supporting cast and think that, given a few more episodes, they will bond nicely. If the producers leaves them alone to do so, we might just have a different and pleasurable show to watch out of what has been a pathetic and duplicated selection (from all networks) for the past couple of years. The one exception being Criminal Minds. Thanks, A&E! Expand
  24. JamesS
    Jul 13, 2010
    I quite liked it, to my surprise, but I agree with Rita F: "the jury is out". In other words, they have good actors playing good characters, with fun writing. Now, what are they going to do with them?
  25. GeorgeM
    Jul 12, 2010
    Really enjoyed the show overall for a first show.. Camera work somewhat simplistic but good characters, good acting. While I know Passmore ( and his soon to be girlfriend) are the stars, the show could be better if there was more of a story surrounding the other characters as well. I really liked the medical examiner and his sidekick. Hope they'll develop these two over time. Really enjoyed the show overall for a first show.. Camera work somewhat simplistic but good characters, good acting. While I know Passmore ( and his soon to be girlfriend) are the stars, the show could be better if there was more of a story surrounding the other characters as well. I really liked the medical examiner and his sidekick. Hope they'll develop these two over time. Show's got potential. Expand
  26. MarkS
    Jul 12, 2010
    Liked the cast of characters but thought they needed much more interplay between Jim, Carlos and the young scientist ( who gives the show a humerous touch which I enjoyed) as they go about solving the crime together. Less Jim dialogue, more cast light interplay mixed into a good criminal investigation and this could be a hit.
  27. AllenS
    Jul 12, 2010
    Passmore carried the show. Good banter. Look for more from the other characters during the summer. Callie is great.
  28. RitaF
    Jul 12, 2010
    I think the jury is out on this show but I will admit I liked the pilot and Passmore as Jim L. is indeed cocky but at the same time endearing. So we shall see if I feel like this after a few more episodes. On a more shallow note you have to admit Passmore is HOT..in a geeky sort of way.
  29. hefz
    Jul 11, 2010
    Does it seem that right - wing paper critics (Boston Herald, Chi Tribune etc) are more negative than other critics? Don't see why, show seemed well done and apolitical.

1. [Matt Passmore's character's] devil-may-care attitude may sometimes verge on annoying, but ultimately gives the serious premise a welcome light touch.
  2. In the end, the series itself is something fresh, welcome and a little tart -- and just like a nice citrus fruit, it'll be hard to stop with just one of these.
    The Glades isn't bad, it just feels older than a swamp gator--and as hungry as one for some fresh meat.