The Good Wife : Season 5

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 22, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.8

1. Sep 11, 2017
    A fantastic season of television and one that, for me at least, cements The Good Wife's place as the the best drama series ever shown on network television. For many shows the networks insistence on 20+ episodes each year is too much for most writers and you end up with story-lines designed simply to fill in time (The story of Kalinda and her ex-husband being an example from last season)A fantastic season of television and one that, for me at least, cements The Good Wife's place as the the best drama series ever shown on network television. For many shows the networks insistence on 20+ episodes each year is too much for most writers and you end up with story-lines designed simply to fill in time (The story of Kalinda and her ex-husband being an example from last season) but the way The Good Wife continues to mix it's procedural week to week cases with the ongoing story-lines of the cast has never been done so well. Expand
  2. Jan 29, 2016
    This fifth season is surely a master piece. Usually I consider a show that runs for longer than 5 seasons as a show that is trying to 'stretch it'. The Good Wife is a different story. This show combines per episode story lines with a bigger story arc. It combines frothy funny scenes with heavy topics as love, personal integrity, moral legal issues, women in a mans' world and even death.This fifth season is surely a master piece. Usually I consider a show that runs for longer than 5 seasons as a show that is trying to 'stretch it'. The Good Wife is a different story. This show combines per episode story lines with a bigger story arc. It combines frothy funny scenes with heavy topics as love, personal integrity, moral legal issues, women in a mans' world and even death.

The lead character Alicia Florrick (Julliana Margulies) is the spider in the web of intricate story lines. Although this was the fifth season the character is still very interesting. The issues she faces change but her story stays in very good contact with the issues Alicia Florrick was facing in earlier seasons. This goes for most other characters as well.

I don't want to give spoilers so I won't go into specifics, but if you where hanging on to this show until now, you definitely want to watch this season as well. Relations are being tested, new situations arrive but all of that does not change the show into something unrecognizable or something repetitive and therefore boring. The writers have done a beautiful job of mixing individual story lines with 'the bigger picture' and the events in this season are bringing out even more of the characters then we have seen already. Again, all of that without losing the original look and feel of the show.

If there was ever a drama TV-show that can claim it is getting better with age, it has to be this one. Especially after watching this season I feel this show could rise to the very top of best drama-shows ever. I have to watch more seasons, but this is becoming a show with the quality and stature of a show like (and I don't say this lightly) The West Wing. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 out of 10 is because it is not up there yet..
  3. Jun 14, 2015
    Over the course of 5 seasons, with its unique blend of serial and
    procedural storytelling, /The Good Wife/ expands the clichéd “good
    wife,” or melodrama’s martyred “coping woman,” with a contradictory and
    mercurial characterization of a woman whose liberation and corruption
    are increasingly intertwined.
  4. Feb 10, 2015
    Not really sure why this show has lasted 6 seasons. I thought 3 episodes of season 1 was more than enough. I do like the actor-ensemble but story is lackluster and surprised it gets such high reviews.
    The Good Wife should be Good Riddens.
  5. Nov 1, 2014
    It's rare that a show peaks in its fifth season, but "The Good Wife" did it. It excels because it is relevant, intelligent, dark, and witty. Don't forget your amazing, "Good Wife".
  6. Oct 7, 2014
    Wow! What a season. I'm speechless. I'm so happy with this show, it is definitely the best drama on broadcast tv. Episodes such as Hitting the Fan, The Last Call and A Weird Year are perfect examples of excellent tv. You all should be watching The Good Wife!!! So ready for season six.
  7. Sep 18, 2014
    The best season of the best broadcast drama on TV right now. It has two of the best episodes of TV have ever seen. It has the superb acting that it had for years and the writing that got even better. If you haven't watched the show yet this is a good time to start.
  8. Aug 4, 2014
    Forget bloodied vampires, gory zombies and sexed-up king-slayers; leave behind the meth lords, groovy ad execs, and grim crime-fighters, The Good Wife (once looking past the subservient title) is the best show on television. Without resorting to sensationalist gimmicks, or lurid and visceral trappings, or naughty cable-channel hi-jinks, The Good Wife delivers the goods with good old-Forget bloodied vampires, gory zombies and sexed-up king-slayers; leave behind the meth lords, groovy ad execs, and grim crime-fighters, The Good Wife (once looking past the subservient title) is the best show on television. Without resorting to sensationalist gimmicks, or lurid and visceral trappings, or naughty cable-channel hi-jinks, The Good Wife delivers the goods with good old- fashioned story-telling. Great characters, conflicts, themes and plot lines. Excellent rhythm, pacing and form. Splendid acting and fantastic recurring guest stars. Great mix of orchestral, electronic and contemporary music. Did I mention themes? Power, politics, scandal, corruption, ambition, loyalty, lust, rebellion, ego warfare, family guilt, and free-market ferocity. The dramatic tension builds without blowing off blood and bullets (not when power and money, and wit and wile are mightier than the sword). It's now the show I look forward to the most. Better yet, a single season offers up twice as many episodes as any of the cable network darlings. And it bravely goes head-to-head against HBO's Sunday night playbill. I stumbled upon it last year and haven't stopped paying attention since. Season four was good but felt too careful and restrained. So far season five exceeds my expectations. TGW is great drama. And no screaming dragons. Go figure. Expand
  9. Jul 8, 2014
    I honestly thought that after 4 seasons, the show would slow down a bit before heating things up again. Only a few episodes into the season, it proves the complete opposite. Right after the absolute chaos caused by Will and Diane finding out the fourth-year associates plan to exit Lockhart-Gardner and all, everything really gets 100 times more interesting again. It's like a whole new showI honestly thought that after 4 seasons, the show would slow down a bit before heating things up again. Only a few episodes into the season, it proves the complete opposite. Right after the absolute chaos caused by Will and Diane finding out the fourth-year associates plan to exit Lockhart-Gardner and all, everything really gets 100 times more interesting again. It's like a whole new show to get excited again. I somehow really love it that Josh Charles's character, Will, exited the show this year because I was really getting sick of him being the jerk he has been (by that I mean that he has not really tried to own his past mistakes and dealt with it. Instead he keeps on blaming everyone else for his own mistakes). Finn Polmar is a very fresh addition and I feel like Matthew Goode is going to make future seasons way more interesting for the show. Can't wait for season 6! and 7! and 8! and 9! I'll never get bored of it! Expand
  10. Jun 21, 2014
    The best show on TV- network or cable. The Good Wife's phenomenal 5th season excels in a way no show has succeeded so far. it has reached its creative peak. The show has always been great, but it has now merited induction into the annals of dramatic television. Anchored by Julianna Margulies' extraordinary performance, Josh Charles and Christine Baranski's brilliantly nuanced supportingThe best show on TV- network or cable. The Good Wife's phenomenal 5th season excels in a way no show has succeeded so far. it has reached its creative peak. The show has always been great, but it has now merited induction into the annals of dramatic television. Anchored by Julianna Margulies' extraordinary performance, Josh Charles and Christine Baranski's brilliantly nuanced supporting turns, and thrilling writing from Robert and Michelle King, The Good Wife has redefined the hour- long, network drama. Expand
  11. Nov 3, 2013
    Just watched the first 5 episodes in succession, and...wow. Hurtles forth at breakneck speed barely pausing to draw breath. Who could have foreseen this show would slip into overdrive this late in the game? Fantastic.
  12. Nov 2, 2013
    Look at the fact that there are only two professional critics reviews here, albeit good ones. The sad truth is that no one except the viewers recognize that The Good Wife is the best drama on tv, and that includes critics darlings like The Walking Dead, Homeland, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones.

I guess if people aren't dying in every episode a show can't be any good in their minds. It's time The Good Wife got its due. Spread the word.
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    The best season yet. I have to admit it's difficult to see Will & Alicia as opposites. Love what is the Team Florrick Agos, but I don´t hate the team Lockhart and Gardner. "Hitting the fan" one of the best episodes of the entire show.
  14. Oct 27, 2013
    Thrilling. Suspenseful. Intoxicating. A commentary on human behavior. All of this from a network procedure in its fifth season? Yes. With extraordinary performances from its talented ensemble and array of guest actors, The Good Wife continues to turn the tables as alliances shift and partnerships break creating a revolutionary series that successfully combines serialized arcs withThrilling. Suspenseful. Intoxicating. A commentary on human behavior. All of this from a network procedure in its fifth season? Yes. With extraordinary performances from its talented ensemble and array of guest actors, The Good Wife continues to turn the tables as alliances shift and partnerships break creating a revolutionary series that successfully combines serialized arcs with procedural drama. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Sep 28, 2013
    It remains the best scripted drama on a broadcast network.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Sep 27, 2013
    Murky ethics in business, politics and relationships are what fuels The Good Wife, and Margulies in particular is at the top of her game as this emotionally perilous new chapter begins.