Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.0

1. Jun 18, 2011
    OK so this is a good show but THEY RIPPED OFF TWIN PEAKS and especially the first episode. I really like Holder in the show but Linden just has no personality that is attractive or alluring. At least Twin Peaks had a sense of humor and didn't take itself so seriously. Also, a casino? Really? She was an escort? Why not just call the casino One Eyed Jacks for Pete's sake. PS Does everyOK so this is a good show but THEY RIPPED OFF TWIN PEAKS and especially the first episode. I really like Holder in the show but Linden just has no personality that is attractive or alluring. At least Twin Peaks had a sense of humor and didn't take itself so seriously. Also, a casino? Really? She was an escort? Why not just call the casino One Eyed Jacks for Pete's sake. PS Does every politician have to whisper everything? UGH. Give TWIN PEAKS some due credit. Expand
  2. Apr 12, 2011
    This is well polished television. As is expected from AMC by now, the show is beautifully produced. The cinematography is gorgeous. The soundtrack broods and creates a terrificly foreboding atmosphere.The acting is superb, for the most part. It is edited, almost, to perfection. The script is, generally, enthralling. For the most part, almost and generally are telling signs of televisionThis is well polished television. As is expected from AMC by now, the show is beautifully produced. The cinematography is gorgeous. The soundtrack broods and creates a terrificly foreboding atmosphere.The acting is superb, for the most part. It is edited, almost, to perfection. The script is, generally, enthralling. For the most part, almost and generally are telling signs of television show that could have been so much more. The actors have not established a workable chemistry yet. I count on this for a new TV series. However, when you bring together characters that don't integrate with each other well, with scenes that linger for far to long and dialog that is pretty much just absurd, then you get a television series that tests the nerves. Expand
  3. May 28, 2011
    After watching almost the whole season, I feel a bit let down. This is a single murder case being dragged out too long. Some of the scenes were too hard to believe and they're overdoing the rain. Getting sloppy. Would have been better with fewer episodes. Harding is too much a caricature.
  4. Jun 25, 2012
    Definitely a show that takes a lot of patience. The start of the series is a bit slow and it took me two tries to finally get into it. Once you have a better sense of the characters and the storyline around episode 4, you'll begin to feel more of a connection with the show, in my opinion. Definitely not a series I would recommend hands down but if you're in between series, I would sayDefinitely a show that takes a lot of patience. The start of the series is a bit slow and it took me two tries to finally get into it. Once you have a better sense of the characters and the storyline around episode 4, you'll begin to feel more of a connection with the show, in my opinion. Definitely not a series I would recommend hands down but if you're in between series, I would say check this out. Expand
  5. Apr 10, 2011
    Can't believe Tanseytoes (also can't believe that name) and I are the only ones who feel this series is remarkably derivative of David Lynch's Twin Peaks. The setting (Pacific Northwest), the elements (incessant dampness & rain) the music (ominous, florid, repetitive) and the premise (an already dead character) are Twin Peaks all over again. When does the log lady show up? The killing is aCan't believe Tanseytoes (also can't believe that name) and I are the only ones who feel this series is remarkably derivative of David Lynch's Twin Peaks. The setting (Pacific Northwest), the elements (incessant dampness & rain) the music (ominous, florid, repetitive) and the premise (an already dead character) are Twin Peaks all over again. When does the log lady show up? The killing is a reasonably engaging series, but Lynch should be getting residuals. Expand
  6. May 4, 2011
    Sorry to say i didnt find this show that great, not exactly aweful, just not my cup of tea i guess
  7. Jun 21, 2011
    As a »Six feet under« and »Dexter« fan, I really liked the style of this show. Yes, it's slow, but I prefer a TV Show that focuses on the people and their emotions and problems rather than simply show cold unrealistic action.
    That being said, this show is not good. The characters aren't really believable. Every episode ends with the worst and cheapest kind of cliffhangers, and you have the feeling that this show will, never, ever get you somewhere.
    Really sad, since I think it had potential. The season final proved that this show is definitely no longer watch-worthy.
  8. Feb 27, 2013
    I have yet to watch the well received Danish original (it is on my 'to do list' with a number of other shows) but seeing the US version advertised on TV decided to give it a try and was initially quite impressed. The major cast members were all very good and not having the usual case per episode formula seen on countless cop procedurals made a pleasant change.

Of course I am unable to

Of course I am unable to make any comparisons to the Danish version but purely judged on its own merits I found that, despite a well written and intriguing opening episode, everything moved along at far too slow a pace. I have no problem with slow-burning drama, The Wire and Mad Men rank amongst my favourite shows, but The Killing provides too many obvious red herrings that the protagonists waste their and the audiences time on. Worst of all after sticking with the show for thirteen episodes we were still left guessing as to who killed Rosie Larsen until season two is available!

While the first season of The Killing certainly had plenty of things going for it I can’t help but feel it would have benefited from a shorter, tighter season in order to better keep audience’s attention.
  9. Jun 22, 2011
    If you can handle 20 hours of subtitles, the original Danish version is much better. So much was changed or left out of the 13-episode American version. A lot of the plot elements that just didn't seem to fit with the story of the version aired on AMC weren't a part of the Danish original.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the original for rent anywhere -- just for-purchase on Amazon, around $100 for the series -- it's called Forbrydelsen.
  10. Oct 9, 2012
    Although this show does a good job of exploring grief and addiction, the tone is too consistently dark. There are no light moments, there's no humour, no character quirks, nothing to help the audience actually root for the characters. Everyone is very serious and very boring. I enjoyed some of the plot and structure, but the show doesn't have enough range.
  11. Jun 22, 2011
    Painfully slow and depressing. I had high hopes for this with the recent string of great shows on AMC, but sadly came to the quick realization this isn't one of them. I have only watched 4 episodes and planned on watching more, but just couldn't continue when nothing ever happened. A whole season trying to solve one murder case. Are you kidding me? I had to delete the rest of the episodesPainfully slow and depressing. I had high hopes for this with the recent string of great shows on AMC, but sadly came to the quick realization this isn't one of them. I have only watched 4 episodes and planned on watching more, but just couldn't continue when nothing ever happened. A whole season trying to solve one murder case. Are you kidding me? I had to delete the rest of the episodes off my DVR. Acting is decent, cinematography is average. You just don't care about the characters, especially Rosie, whom you never meet.

I would rather give the original a chance, even if it's in subtitles. Once again this shows how out of touch most critics are with the rest of America.
  12. Jun 17, 2011
    Pales in comparison to the Danish original. The many red herrings seem contrived; the characters (with the notable exception of Joel Kinnaman's nuanced performance) are sadly two-dimensional; and the atmospherics (i.e. darkness, constant rain) are oppressive rather than mood-setting. I'm not convinced the show-runner has any idea where this is going.
  13. Jun 22, 2011
    nice camera work and good acting. but compared to the original show, there are much more 'inconsistencies' and some rather weird and unbelievable story twists. it doesn't manage to build up the same atmosphere that one finds in the original show.
  14. Aug 10, 2011
    This show would have had a 9 fromme, but they blew it at the end. First of all, two shows from the end they said in the trialer, "the killer will be a shocker to all." Well, I knew right then and there it was the guy running for office because he was the LEAST likely. And then when the end came, there as no end! No clear murderer. These shows needs to be a story within itself for aThis show would have had a 9 fromme, but they blew it at the end. First of all, two shows from the end they said in the trialer, "the killer will be a shocker to all." Well, I knew right then and there it was the guy running for office because he was the LEAST likely. And then when the end came, there as no end! No clear murderer. These shows needs to be a story within itself for a season and start fresh with a new story line for the next season, like Dexter.

Don't know if I'll turn in for the second season now. I was ready to move on
  15. Nov 20, 2011
    I was disappointed in this show, it had mediocre acting by amc original series standards. and the pacing is painfully slow and relies on the viewer to feel bad everytime they see the irrational characters cry over something stupid they've done. and the ending to season 1... it throws out everything it was building to with a rushed and not very well thought out ending full of holes. i won'tI was disappointed in this show, it had mediocre acting by amc original series standards. and the pacing is painfully slow and relies on the viewer to feel bad everytime they see the irrational characters cry over something stupid they've done. and the ending to season 1... it throws out everything it was building to with a rushed and not very well thought out ending full of holes. i won't be returning for next season =( Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 7, 2011
    Sharply contrasting with the florid Borgias is AMC's emotionally spare and atmospherically dank series The Killing.
  2. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Apr 5, 2011
    In the suspenseful early hours of The Killing, Rosie's family goes about its bereavement in muted tones, and a subplot about a mayoral candidate drawn into the crime's eccentric orbit flashes with potential, and, primarily, our expectations for cop shows are teased, gratified, and artfully upended.
  3. Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Apr 4, 2011
    The Killing is also the least prepossessing, an eerily quiet, yet compelling and complex, tale of the way the murder of a teenager affects the lives of many people.