• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 30, 2014
6.9

1. Oct 31, 2014
    This pilot was not only funny, but shows a lot of promise; something that most pilots combine. I was laughing non-stop, and the family has a great chemistry that is not easy to produce! Two thumbs up!
  2. Nov 7, 2014
    I've only watched the first episode but I have to say right on! This one knocks it clear out of the park. It's well written and funny and witty and both Ritter and Metcalf are terrific. And so Boston! Love it! This show will stick.
  3. Dec 7, 2014
    This show is turning out to be quite good. The first couple of episodes were on less than solid ground, quality-wise.

But the show has been rallying to excellence with the past two or three episodes. I'm happy to have hung in there.... I was turned off by the summertime pre-season promotions about a ~Boston sports-oriented family~. The show is not about that at all. It *is*

The show is not about that at all.

It *is* about the intra-relations of a family, and the love among those family members. Yah, sports is a secondary theme.

The writing is up to the task, and the cast seems to have that spark that makes for a successful comedy ensemble. They truly seem to have fun working together.

I like this show.

1. Reviewed by: Chris E. Hayner
    Oct 30, 2014
    At the end of the day, The McCarthys feels like an incredibly dated concept done incorrectly. If it's not the worst new comedy of the fall, it's certainly giving the others a run for their money.
  3. Reviewed by: Ellen Gray
    Oct 30, 2014
    That the show itself feels like a bit of a throwback doesn't have to be a bad thing: It's a throwback to a time when millions more people watched shows like this.