• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2008
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
8.4

1. Mar 26, 2012
    The weird thing about this show is that its main gimmick, Jane's 'abilities', are surprisingly underused. To compare to shows with similar gimmicks, in 'Lie to me' the whole show revolves around reading peoples faces, and in 'Psych' the whole show revolves around Shawn pretending to be psychic. However, the mentalist is mostly just a standard procedural about a team of agents investigating murders with the usual methods, same as any other cop show, and then at the end when they find out who did it Jane says that was who he thought it was from the begging. There are a few moments in some episodes when Jane will use some sort of mind trick to get some information out of a suspect but that's it. The good thing is that even as a standard procedural the plots are interesting. The characters other than Jane are average, but Jane has an underlying story arc with the whole 'Red John' thing. Expand
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    The mentalist is one of the better crime shows on television, mostly due to Simon Baker, who portrays his character brilliantly. The other cast members are okay, but their writing seems a little bit far fetched, and more generic. There are some interesting episodes (mostly the ones with Red John), and some less interesting (simple case solving) episodes. Overall I think it is one of the better shows on TV, but sometimes it feels dragged out, and less interesting. Expand
  3. May 28, 2013
    It's great at the beginning and at the end, but not in the middle. Main plot is super interesting, but thing is there aren't many episodes about it, most of them are on new cases. Overall it's good detective show
  4. Jan 19, 2013
    Its ok, but the big things that really bother me would be Robin Tunney's God awful acting and the fact that is really isn't that exciting and not a lot happens.
  5. May 17, 2013
    This honestly has been one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. This season (season One) has been such an amazing ride. In the midst of deus-ex machina filled shows, and convenient story lines told by lazy writers, this show has shown me that there really is hope for TV. The acting is perfect, even in guest actors with even the smallest roles. The main actors are intriguing and the side-humor is absolutely compelling. This, I can say, is one of the best crime shows I have ever watched, no exaggeration. Expand
  6. Jan 20, 2011
    First season was good.Second season was ok.This season so far has been really uninteresting.
  7. Dec 19, 2010
    Simon Baker's performances in this show make it stand out from all the other similar shows aired in recent times. Predictable yet amusing, at times frustrating because of the main plots lack of exposure in many of episodes. Yet I find my glued to the tv for each new instalment of Baker's bag o'tricks.
  8. J_B
    Nov 5, 2011
    The acting, aside from Simon Baker who I love, isn't very good at all. Robin Tunney has the emotion of a brick, but I blame that mostly on the bad writing/I really want to like this show, because of Simon Baker, but there's so many other, better shows out there.
  9. Jul 15, 2012
    The lead guy sucks so right off the bat thats a recipe for sestruction! Not to mention IT'S A COMPLETE KNOCKOFF OF PSYCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Mar 21, 2013
    I enjoy the show, but it's truly time to end the Red John part of it. We're invested enough in the characters now that it's OK if the resolve it; I'll keep watching anyway. It was really disappointing when they had Jane shoot Red John only to have it be a case of mistaken identity. That had a Dallas-like feel to it (remember the whole season of Dallas that ended up being a dream?). It's time to end the Red John drama and move in a new direction. Expand
  11. Apr 18, 2013
    An amazingly-crafted show with really talented cast. Particularly Simon Baker characterizing Patrick Jane, the cunning CBI consultant. Just literally ate up the first two seasons! But I'd really like to know the end of the Red John thing before CBS cancels this. Though a healthy 8 for this masterpiece.
  12. Mar 20, 2014
    absolutely love this show. if you think its a ripoff of psych then im glad they ripped it off because psych was only an ok show. Some of the acting can be improved but Simon Baker makes the show.
  13. Oct 18, 2010
    Some episodes are good, even to compensate for the worst ones. Most of the time, It seems that Patrick Jane is just overly lucky, It would be cool If he gets it wrong once in a while, you know, just to wipe that snide of his face. Good chemistry between the actors tho!. Good mixture of characters.
  14. Jun 4, 2011
    One's opinion of this show is subject largely to what you're looking for. If you're expecting highly developed plots within plots and murder mysteries that would make Agatha Christie envious then this show isn't for you. If you're after an entertaining hour of television with plots that aren't patently obvious and characters that have humour and charm then it really is. Simon Baker puts in a good performance, and Tim Kang provides a supporting character of sublime dry wit. The major criticism of the show would be that the supporting characters seem to be peripheral characters, there only to help and support Jane and Lisbon in their endeavours. Although as we saw with House, that's not necessarily a bad idea. Expand
  15. Sep 14, 2011
    Great Show. My favorite show on TV. Every episode has a smart premise and Patrick Jane always has a clever way of going about solving the case and the Red John story that continues through the episodes is much more compelling then the continuing stories in other crime shows
  16. Mar 17, 2013
    Amazingly well plotted by Bruno Heller & yes the star of the show Simon Baker steals the show with his instant smart observation & character. i just love this show...cant get enough of it...
  17. Aug 7, 2013
    Having Patrick Jane as one of the only characters well developed in the cast hit the series badly, the whole cast suffers from having no backbone or inner workings as they serve only to oppose Patrick at some point to bounce off how important a character he is. The other main actors have done well themselves however this does not help their roles as they seem to begin anew every episode with Lisbon and the gang always forgetting that Patrick knows what to do in most situations which only then are proved time and time again that they cannot best his integrity and if they ever disagree are soon proved wrong, a simple formula for a one time use but this happens every episode. You'll have someone die or shown dead at the start of the episode which is fine for a crime drama series but then falls when the audio for the start plays that doesn't fit at all play wrenching you from whatever you were connected to in the show resulting in whomever watching to be less inclined to take the show seriously and treat it as a much lighter toned drama that assumes most of the characters are joking half the time but aren't. With characters adding nothing to the overall show, music that does not fit and a plot that is somewhat predictable and drawn out the only part I found welcoming was the character Patrick and his resolve to tackling each crime and his task for revenge. Expand
  18. Sep 7, 2013
    Although not so original, This show can really keep up the audience attention. Simon Baker is just great for his part, and overshadows all the others in the cast. Some really nice magic tricks, lots of humor and many things we always wanted, but were afraid to do.
  19. Sep 24, 2013
    Intelligent, brilliantly made show. Season 6 will arrive soon which in my opinion will definitely be a game changer. For now at least, from season 1 all the way to the end of season 5, the story has really caught on, and finding the killer Red John, while watching the charismatic Patrick Jane solve crimes really make things tick. I think for the average viewer who takes a glance over the whole show watching an episode here, another here, etc etc and admittedly 5 seasons isn't short considering we are only just getting to the significant breakthrough to finding the antagonist) these viewers will find the story to be scarce in depth and development. Because to understand the incredible emotional trauma that you get by experiencing things inside the mind of Patrick Jane from watching things start to current finish, you understand how in depth and sophisticated the plot is. For this reason, I honestly doubt there is consistency and cogency within the reviews found on here. Although I have no idea how much people have delved into the story, or analysed plots or even managed the long haul to the end of the current season 5, because it feels some of the reviews aren't true and concise. Anyway, back to the original insight; season 6 will be a game changer for this show. If Bruno Heller can pull it off and smack down the greatest season yet, which is perhaps the final chapter, and really perfect the ending of a fantastic narrative, the Mentalist could become the best TV crime show. That's how good it is.

So far its a generous 10, but the story ain't finished yet, how they say it down south. And its like starting a book and getting to the final 100 pages, you can't judge something that hasn't concluded or wrapped up. We'll have to wait and see.

1. The tricks he performs are overshadowed by the glee with which Baker performs them. Like any good grifter, he gets a genuine thrill out of entertaining, manipulating, or confusing people.
  2. This role is tailor-made for Baker, who has a flair for playing irreverent characters who are crucial to the success of the system even as they tweak its authority figures.
    Because as much as Baker's suavely sly version of a gotcha artist is a welcome addition, thanks to a few not-so-hidden laws of character-actor placement, you'll guess the pilot scenario's killer before anybody else.