• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2008
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.5

1. Feb 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. him to be a very versatile actor. He can play the good guy, bad guy, psychopath killer, anything thing at all and still be wonderful at it. His acting makes it very easy for the viewers to love him, hate him, love to hate and hate to love him depending upon the role he is playing.

Coming to The Mentalist, right from the time Red John killed his parents, Patrick Jane became an instant favorite among the viewers, initially because of compassion, but very soon because of his single-minded focus on getting revenge and the way he used his amazing talent for the same. Jane has an uncanny ability to read people and use it in a way as to portray himself as a mentalist. However, he confesses that mind reading does not exist and the talent is only reading people.

Jane joins Sacramento Police Department and teams up with Teresa Lisbon, Kimbell Cho, Wayne Rigsby and Grace Van Pelt, who all are working to catch Red John. Some seasons into the show, he manages to accomplish his goal about Red John (I won't give out the spoilers. Watch the series to know what happened) and takes time off. The entire team disintegrates with that but very soon, Jane is contacted by CBI to join forces with them because of his people reading ability. Jane comes to find Cho already a part of the team and demands Lisbon to be called in too. Very soon, the three of them are teamed together with Jason Wylie and Michelle Vega and with a new force under the able eyes of Abott, they continue solving crimes once again.

Now the Series is about to air their series finale and it is with a heavy heart that we all will be bidding adieu to Patrick Jane and his team. There is a lot of speculations on how the series will end and it will just be left to see how the characters end up doing int he end. A lot of things has changed since the first time Patrick Jane came on-screen and captivated the audience. Now, he is almost about to start a new life with a new love and we, the fans, wish him all the very best. As for Simon Baker as a character, there will be more movies starring him and I will definitely be on the look out of them all.

The Mentalist has been an amazing series filled with mystery, intrigue and some romance throughout all the episodes. Bruno Keller has made a beautiful story line and gave an interesting experience for the viewers. Looking forward to more from Bruno Keller and Simon Baker.
  2. Dec 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's rather rare situation that each one new season is much better than previous one. Mentalist starts slighty interesting, but in season fifth this whole formula converts into hunting on Red John. And it becames outstanding. And when I say outstanding, i really mean it - you will watch last episodes standing before the TV. However Mentalist should be ended after killing the Red John. Expand
  3. Oct 16, 2014
    It is my favourite show , with constant appeal of role of simon baker and with his stand out performance , this show had made viewers , watch it over and over again.
  4. Mar 20, 2014
    absolutely love this show. if you think its a ripoff of psych then im glad they ripped it off because psych was only an ok show. Some of the acting can be improved but Simon Baker makes the show.
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    Intelligent, brilliantly made show. Season 6 will arrive soon which in my opinion will definitely be a game changer. For now at least, from season 1 all the way to the end of season 5, the story has really caught on, and finding the killer Red John, while watching the charismatic Patrick Jane solve crimes really make things tick. I think for the average viewer who takes a glance over theIntelligent, brilliantly made show. Season 6 will arrive soon which in my opinion will definitely be a game changer. For now at least, from season 1 all the way to the end of season 5, the story has really caught on, and finding the killer Red John, while watching the charismatic Patrick Jane solve crimes really make things tick. I think for the average viewer who takes a glance over the whole show watching an episode here, another here, etc etc and admittedly 5 seasons isn't short considering we are only just getting to the significant breakthrough to finding the antagonist) these viewers will find the story to be scarce in depth and development. Because to understand the incredible emotional trauma that you get by experiencing things inside the mind of Patrick Jane from watching things start to current finish, you understand how in depth and sophisticated the plot is. For this reason, I honestly doubt there is consistency and cogency within the reviews found on here. Although I have no idea how much people have delved into the story, or analysed plots or even managed the long haul to the end of the current season 5, because it feels some of the reviews aren't true and concise. Anyway, back to the original insight; season 6 will be a game changer for this show. If Bruno Heller can pull it off and smack down the greatest season yet, which is perhaps the final chapter, and really perfect the ending of a fantastic narrative, the Mentalist could become the best TV crime show. That's how good it is.

So far its a generous 10, but the story ain't finished yet, how they say it down south. And its like starting a book and getting to the final 100 pages, you can't judge something that hasn't concluded or wrapped up. We'll have to wait and see.
  6. Sep 7, 2013
    Although not so original, This show can really keep up the audience attention. Simon Baker is just great for his part, and overshadows all the others in the cast. Some really nice magic tricks, lots of humor and many things we always wanted, but were afraid to do.
  7. Aug 7, 2013
    Having Patrick Jane as one of the only characters well developed in the cast hit the series badly, the whole cast suffers from having no backbone or inner workings as they serve only to oppose Patrick at some point to bounce off how important a character he is. The other main actors have done well themselves however this does not help their roles as they seem to begin anew every episodeHaving Patrick Jane as one of the only characters well developed in the cast hit the series badly, the whole cast suffers from having no backbone or inner workings as they serve only to oppose Patrick at some point to bounce off how important a character he is. The other main actors have done well themselves however this does not help their roles as they seem to begin anew every episode with Lisbon and the gang always forgetting that Patrick knows what to do in most situations which only then are proved time and time again that they cannot best his integrity and if they ever disagree are soon proved wrong, a simple formula for a one time use but this happens every episode. You'll have someone die or shown dead at the start of the episode which is fine for a crime drama series but then falls when the audio for the start plays that doesn't fit at all play wrenching you from whatever you were connected to in the show resulting in whomever watching to be less inclined to take the show seriously and treat it as a much lighter toned drama that assumes most of the characters are joking half the time but aren't. With characters adding nothing to the overall show, music that does not fit and a plot that is somewhat predictable and drawn out the only part I found welcoming was the character Patrick and his resolve to tackling each crime and his task for revenge. Expand
  8. May 28, 2013
    It's great at the beginning and at the end, but not in the middle. Main plot is super interesting, but thing is there aren't many episodes about it, most of them are on new cases. Overall it's good detective show
  9. May 17, 2013
    This honestly has been one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. This season (season One) has been such an amazing ride. In the midst of deus-ex machina filled shows, and convenient story lines told by lazy writers, this show has shown me that there really is hope for TV. The acting is perfect, even in guest actors with even the smallest roles. The main actors are intriguing and theThis honestly has been one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. This season (season One) has been such an amazing ride. In the midst of deus-ex machina filled shows, and convenient story lines told by lazy writers, this show has shown me that there really is hope for TV. The acting is perfect, even in guest actors with even the smallest roles. The main actors are intriguing and the side-humor is absolutely compelling. This, I can say, is one of the best crime shows I have ever watched, no exaggeration. Expand
  10. Apr 24, 2013
    The mentalist is one of the better crime shows on television, mostly due to Simon Baker, who portrays his character brilliantly. The other cast members are okay, but their writing seems a little bit far fetched, and more generic. There are some interesting episodes (mostly the ones with Red John), and some less interesting (simple case solving) episodes. Overall I think it is one of theThe mentalist is one of the better crime shows on television, mostly due to Simon Baker, who portrays his character brilliantly. The other cast members are okay, but their writing seems a little bit far fetched, and more generic. There are some interesting episodes (mostly the ones with Red John), and some less interesting (simple case solving) episodes. Overall I think it is one of the better shows on TV, but sometimes it feels dragged out, and less interesting. Expand
  11. Apr 18, 2013
    An amazingly-crafted show with really talented cast. Particularly Simon Baker characterizing Patrick Jane, the cunning CBI consultant. Just literally ate up the first two seasons! But I'd really like to know the end of the Red John thing before CBS cancels this. Though a healthy 8 for this masterpiece.
  12. Mar 21, 2013
    I enjoy the show, but it's truly time to end the Red John part of it. We're invested enough in the characters now that it's OK if the resolve it; I'll keep watching anyway. It was really disappointing when they had Jane shoot Red John only to have it be a case of mistaken identity. That had a Dallas-like feel to it (remember the whole season of Dallas that ended up being a dream?).I enjoy the show, but it's truly time to end the Red John part of it. We're invested enough in the characters now that it's OK if the resolve it; I'll keep watching anyway. It was really disappointing when they had Jane shoot Red John only to have it be a case of mistaken identity. That had a Dallas-like feel to it (remember the whole season of Dallas that ended up being a dream?). It's time to end the Red John drama and move in a new direction. Expand
  13. Mar 17, 2013
    Amazingly well plotted by Bruno Heller & yes the star of the show Simon Baker steals the show with his instant smart observation & character. i just love this show...cant get enough of it...
  14. Jan 19, 2013
    Its ok, but the big things that really bother me would be Robin Tunney's God awful acting and the fact that is really isn't that exciting and not a lot happens.
  15. Jul 15, 2012
    The lead guy sucks so right off the bat thats a recipe for sestruction! Not to mention IT'S A COMPLETE KNOCKOFF OF PSYCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Mar 26, 2012
    The weird thing about this show is that its main gimmick, Jane's 'abilities', are surprisingly underused. To compare to shows with similar gimmicks, in 'Lie to me' the whole show revolves around reading peoples faces, and in 'Psych' the whole show revolves around Shawn pretending to be psychic. However, the mentalist is mostly just a standard procedural about a team of agentsThe weird thing about this show is that its main gimmick, Jane's 'abilities', are surprisingly underused. To compare to shows with similar gimmicks, in 'Lie to me' the whole show revolves around reading peoples faces, and in 'Psych' the whole show revolves around Shawn pretending to be psychic. However, the mentalist is mostly just a standard procedural about a team of agents investigating murders with the usual methods, same as any other cop show, and then at the end when they find out who did it Jane says that was who he thought it was from the begging. There are a few moments in some episodes when Jane will use some sort of mind trick to get some information out of a suspect but that's it. The good thing is that even as a standard procedural the plots are interesting. The characters other than Jane are average, but Jane has an underlying story arc with the whole 'Red John' thing. Expand
  17. J_B
    Nov 5, 2011
    The acting, aside from Simon Baker who I love, isn't very good at all. Robin Tunney has the emotion of a brick, but I blame that mostly on the bad writing/I really want to like this show, because of Simon Baker, but there's so many other, better shows out there.
  18. Sep 14, 2011
    Great Show. My favorite show on TV. Every episode has a smart premise and Patrick Jane always has a clever way of going about solving the case and the Red John story that continues through the episodes is much more compelling then the continuing stories in other crime shows
  19. Jun 4, 2011
    One's opinion of this show is subject largely to what you're looking for. If you're expecting highly developed plots within plots and murder mysteries that would make Agatha Christie envious then this show isn't for you. If you're after an entertaining hour of television with plots that aren't patently obvious and characters that have humour and charm then it really is. Simon Baker putsOne's opinion of this show is subject largely to what you're looking for. If you're expecting highly developed plots within plots and murder mysteries that would make Agatha Christie envious then this show isn't for you. If you're after an entertaining hour of television with plots that aren't patently obvious and characters that have humour and charm then it really is. Simon Baker puts in a good performance, and Tim Kang provides a supporting character of sublime dry wit. The major criticism of the show would be that the supporting characters seem to be peripheral characters, there only to help and support Jane and Lisbon in their endeavours. Although as we saw with House, that's not necessarily a bad idea. Expand
  20. Jan 20, 2011
    First season was good.Second season was ok.This season so far has been really uninteresting.
  21. Dec 19, 2010
    Simon Baker's performances in this show make it stand out from all the other similar shows aired in recent times. Predictable yet amusing, at times frustrating because of the main plots lack of exposure in many of episodes. Yet I find my glued to the tv for each new instalment of Baker's bag o'tricks.
  22. Oct 18, 2010
    Some episodes are good, even to compensate for the worst ones. Most of the time, It seems that Patrick Jane is just overly lucky, It would be cool If he gets it wrong once in a while, you know, just to wipe that snide of his face. Good chemistry between the actors tho!. Good mixture of characters.
  23. LordofFood
    Dec 29, 2009
    Brilliant. Bruno Heller really thinks out the plot of the next episode and eventually makes it great. Simon Baker makes a good, sometimes cocky, smart, and observant Patrick Jane. Greatest show i've ever seen.
  24. JuliaB
    Dec 15, 2009
    My husband and I love this show. We DVR it and watch it right after the kids go to bed. Jane is the most wonderful character...I mean, I just LOVE him!
  25. ccc
    Dec 1, 2009
    pretty awesome tv show, love simon baker as patrick jane.
  26. CrisC
    Nov 19, 2009
    Hands down...my favorite show. This season is even better with the development of the secondary characters. I have never missed an episode.
  27. MichaelC.
    Oct 18, 2009
    Complete garbage.
  28. ZeMasterOfDisaster
    Aug 7, 2009
    These kind of shows with sophisticated characters and predictable-yet-entertaining episodes makes me wonder why on earth I used to put up with other shows before this.
  29. LukeTheDuke
    Jul 2, 2009
    This show is normally more enjoyable than a '7' rating would indicate, but the casting is part 5 and part 10. Bruno Heller has crafted a good series, and Simon Baker, Tim Kang and Amanda Righetti are top notch. Robin Tunney is not believable as a supervisor/manager (except in a PC police department) her less than competent ways and skills and her interaction with Jane hall do This show is normally more enjoyable than a '7' rating would indicate, but the casting is part 5 and part 10. Bruno Heller has crafted a good series, and Simon Baker, Tim Kang and Amanda Righetti are top notch. Robin Tunney is not believable as a supervisor/manager (except in a PC police department) her less than competent ways and skills and her interaction with Jane hall do little to help the show. Owain Yeoman has a similar problem as Rigsby. I guess we are to believe that the CBI is mainly inept with a few good thnkers and detectives. Mediocre characters in recurring roles in dramas really bring down the series. Why not write all the main characters as highly proficient and capable. Romanticism and heroic characters are far more desirable than 'average' run-of-the-mill types. Most episodes are entertaining, and it is always fun to see how Jane will outsmart both his colleagues and the perpetrators, and what nice deed will be done at the end. Bring in Emmanuelle Vaugier from CSI New York this past season (and Two and a Half Men) and Rory Cochrane from CSI Miami a few seasons back, and then you will have an all-star ensemble. Expand
  30. KimberlyS.
    May 17, 2009
    This show has grown on me. I immediately liked Patrick Jane, but it was the supporting cast that fell short on those first few episodes. They have since really been fleshed out. The character Kimball Cho has really taken off and at times he's stolen the scene.
  31. SamM.
    Apr 13, 2009
    Great cast and and a very good pilot episode, but the programmes inability to stick with the 'good' main plot truly lets itself down. bad writing on a couple of episodes. still very watchable non the less.
  32. ingridw
    Apr 13, 2009
    This show is WAY! to Predictable, 4 out of the last 5 episodes i have watched i guessed who the killer or killers were at the start of the show......the show doesnt have enough suspence and the drama isnt worth staying around for.. its almost like they hired the llowest paid writers they could get to try and pull off a blockbuster of the year...Good luck.
  33. SpirosK.
    Feb 2, 2009
    The star character is very well built to be extremely smart but pleasant and likable at the same time. Very well played by Baker.
  34. SashM.
    Jan 6, 2009
    Wow, this show is really exciting, I love it. Simon Baker is simply put, Legendary. He performs spectacularly and is half the reason I come back again and again to watch this show. It is quite similar to Psyche but that show is great, so what is everyone complaining about. it's not like Bruno Heller copied a (for lack of a better word) "sh*tty" show.
  35. AngelaP
    Dec 18, 2008
    The entire cast does a wonderful job of gaining attention of the audience. It is wonderful to watch a show (without having to do too much thinking following a long day of work) and be able to feel a connection to the characters. The Mentalist has become my DVR's best -and only-friend. Thanks to a great network for bringing some excitement-and very great looking actors; Baker and The entire cast does a wonderful job of gaining attention of the audience. It is wonderful to watch a show (without having to do too much thinking following a long day of work) and be able to feel a connection to the characters. The Mentalist has become my DVR's best -and only-friend. Thanks to a great network for bringing some excitement-and very great looking actors; Baker and Tunney, to my Tuesday nights. Hoping to see much more of this show. Expand
  36. AimeeP.
    Oct 10, 2008
    This show even though it seems to be similar to Life on NBC. It's a good show, the team of actors work very well together. I hope they give the show a chance to get off the ground before they cancel it and leave all hanging on who the red face killer is.
  37. DianneK
    Oct 1, 2008
    I'm enjoying this show very much, which is a nice surprise in this lackluster season. The lead is terrific -- smart, witty, but caring underneath it all. A nice addition to the NCIS/Without a Trace lineup, and they are both shows I enjoy. I hope "The Mentalist" makes it.
  38. Debbies.
    Sep 30, 2008
    I want to like it, because I really like Simon Baker. But I do not think it is exciting enough. I do not care for who the show has as the murderer(s). So far the murders really do not make since.
  39. anthonya
    Sep 30, 2008
    I love the show. Something Different
  40. JodyM
    Sep 29, 2008
    I like the premise of the show, the mix of detective type show with a hint of spiritualism.
  41. SunilM
    Sep 29, 2008
    disappointing execution on a great promise - instead or ripping off Psych and House the scriptwriters should take a leaf out of Darren Brown's "tricks of the mind".
  42. BrandonN
    Sep 28, 2008
    The first episode gave me me new hope for television.
  43. DoctorO
    Sep 27, 2008
    The show has potential. A serial killer as the antagonist... interesting to see where that goes.
  44. AlexT.
    Sep 27, 2008
    Definitely a HUGE rip off of Psych HUGE HUGE HUGE rip off!!!!! just not as funny or as good. Get original
  45. TeresaC
    Sep 26, 2008
    As a detective with above average observational powers, Simon Baker manages to be both playful and haunted -- a neat trick. The fun of the show is in seeing the world through his eyes. The show just needs better plots that are harder to solve. A show called "The Mentalist" should have plots that take a little mental power to solve.
  46. MaggieK.
    Sep 24, 2008
    Interesting premise and engaging characters but the experience was ruined for me with the off-color sexual content and unusually bad language. This was unnecessary and detracted from a series that I had initially thought would be something to make an hour in front of the TV on a Tuesday night worthwhile. Since I felt uncomfortable with this throughout the hour and certainly would not have Interesting premise and engaging characters but the experience was ruined for me with the off-color sexual content and unusually bad language. This was unnecessary and detracted from a series that I had initially thought would be something to make an hour in front of the TV on a Tuesday night worthwhile. Since I felt uncomfortable with this throughout the hour and certainly would not have wanted my daughter to be in the room while this was on, I will not be tuning in for future episodes. Expand
  47. EA.
    Sep 24, 2008
    This show seemed like a rip off if USA's Psych on a few Valium. Yawn.
  48. AdamA.
    Sep 23, 2008
    Not horrible, but unexciting. I didn't dread the episode, but I didn't see any reason to tune in to the next one. It's all been done before. Kind of a Psych meets Law and Order, but without charm.

1. The tricks he performs are overshadowed by the glee with which Baker performs them. Like any good grifter, he gets a genuine thrill out of entertaining, manipulating, or confusing people.
  2. This role is tailor-made for Baker, who has a flair for playing irreverent characters who are crucial to the success of the system even as they tweak its authority figures.
    Because as much as Baker's suavely sly version of a gotcha artist is a welcome addition, thanks to a few not-so-hidden laws of character-actor placement, you'll guess the pilot scenario's killer before anybody else.