The Middle : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 30, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
7.6

1. Mar 11, 2011
    This show is great. It is always funny. The cast has great chemistry. They are just a working family with three very different kids. They are such a likable family that a lot of people can relate to.
  2. JL
    Nov 23, 2009
    The show is funny. Patricia Heaton and Neil Flynn are great as the parents! Unlike Malcolm In The Middle, the show is more realistic, and deals with every day family problems.. Malcom was more exagerated.. Watch a couple of episodes, it kinda grows on you!
  3. Nov 10, 2012
    My entire family loves this show. All 3 of my kids watch each episode recorded by hubby over and over and over. I feel like it was based on our family. I always LOL at each episode and I think each character is very likeable. I have no clue why people are saying the family are losers. They aren't. They are a REAL family.
    Great show!
  4. joniw
    Jan 22, 2010
    This show is so relatable and laugh out loud funny. We can also watch it with our kids which is refreshing!
  5. JudyL
    Dec 16, 2009
    This is a great show, very funny. One thing I love about it is there is no "canned laughter". Very funny, well written episodes. I look forward to it every Wed. night. Thank you for a good comedy, finally.
  6. VinnieO.
    Oct 7, 2009
    It's not something I'm going to make an effort to see, but I was pleasantly surprised by this show. It IS a little like Malcolm in the Middle, but I think there's more sweetness here. I was happy to see that Neil Flynn is well used playing another off-kilter character.
  7. KimA
    Nov 20, 2009
    Funny and not crude. This is a show I can see me buying the DVD season one. Are they canceling is already? Why does ABC have the worst shows and cancel the good ones, like Pushing Daisies? And what is up with their lame website for watching videos? Keep this family show!
  8. VioletH.
    Oct 15, 2009
    Funniest new show of the season! I love it!
  9. DarrinT.
    Oct 19, 2009
    My family loves The Middle.
  10. SamH
    Nov 13, 2009
    The show's been consistently funny and warm, quirky while staying grounded and focusing on real-life family situations in a way not many other comedies do these days. Totally worth watching.
  11. KMT
    Oct 3, 2010
    I love this show! I think most of us with families can relate to the stories... So funny! I keep waiting for the ratings to catch up. I guess it will be like Everybody Loves Raymond, meaning it may take a while. I also like Modern Family. These are two shows I have to always record!
  12. Jun 5, 2013
    I absolutely love this show. It is one of my favorite shows on tv. It makes me laugh out loud every time it is on. Frankie Heck is hilarious. Sue is her daughter and her character is also just really funny. She usually has my whole family laughing. I just love this show all together. Its clean and great for the whole family. If this show doesn't continue on ABC I will be extremelyI absolutely love this show. It is one of my favorite shows on tv. It makes me laugh out loud every time it is on. Frankie Heck is hilarious. Sue is her daughter and her character is also just really funny. She usually has my whole family laughing. I just love this show all together. Its clean and great for the whole family. If this show doesn't continue on ABC I will be extremely disappointed. I hope this show will continue to brighten my Wednesday nights for years to come! Expand
  13. Aug 21, 2010
    The Middle is one of the most enjoyable shows on television. Witty, spunky, and charming, it is constantly churning out the goofy, quirkiness that is the average Midwestern family. I especially enjoy Eden Sher's Sue, who is just plain fun to watch. Definitely one of TV 's best comedies.
  14. BobSmith
    Dec 9, 2009
    Show isn't terrible, and deserves more than 3 stars, but it is SUCH A COPY of Malcom in the Middle that watching the show is disturbing and uncomfortable. Sure, there are legitimate differences, but they don't overcome the fact that the show is such an obvious copy. Can't anyone come up with something original anymore?
  15. Mar 2, 2011
    This is the only show I can watch on TV, maybe because I don't feel like it is trying to push me into anything, but rather get me to feel I am understood by people like me who are going through what I am going through. Guess I'm in the middle. The network initially did so much to push the much touted show on "new" families, when in fact this was the gem all along. It is pitch perfect toThis is the only show I can watch on TV, maybe because I don't feel like it is trying to push me into anything, but rather get me to feel I am understood by people like me who are going through what I am going through. Guess I'm in the middle. The network initially did so much to push the much touted show on "new" families, when in fact this was the gem all along. It is pitch perfect to me, as someone who has three kids about those ages myself, and lives in similar circumstances. Expand
  16. MikeM
    Dec 1, 2009
    I really like this show and watch it every wednesday, I would like to see more episodes surrounding the daughter, anyway, it;s good to see a situation comedy revolving around families once again
  17. Joe
    Oct 2, 2009
    I wish all the best to Neil Flynn, but I'm not a Patricia Heaton fan. Besides, I think Jane Kaczmarek and Brian Cranston were much better in the roles, I'm not sure why they were replaced. I don't know why they turned Malcom into such a jerk, but having a girl take over for Reese could be a cleaver idea. The little kid who plays Dewey is the highlight of this all too self I wish all the best to Neil Flynn, but I'm not a Patricia Heaton fan. Besides, I think Jane Kaczmarek and Brian Cranston were much better in the roles, I'm not sure why they were replaced. I don't know why they turned Malcom into such a jerk, but having a girl take over for Reese could be a cleaver idea. The little kid who plays Dewey is the highlight of this all too self aware, over-the-top, rip off. (Note to the directors: extreme close-ups of goofy faces at weird angles do not make for a fun viewing experience). Expand
  18. LorenzoG
    Nov 4, 2009
    The Middle is poorly written, the effort for laughs are too obvious and often miss the mark. It is painfull to watch Heaton, she is much better than the scripts.
  19. Aug 15, 2010
    Absolutely terrible. I watched this on Sky in the UK - this was billed as laugh out loud - after 20 mins turned it off - absolutely nothing to smile at never mind raise a giggle.
  20. Sep 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the middle is fantastic, because is not the kind of serie to pretend teach us what is correct or not to do with our lives. Those people are loosers and know that, maybe they won at lottery, till there there is no hope for them in life, even if in the middle. there is no happy end, we have something like not
    #10 of 10
  21. KellyV
    Nov 5, 2009
    This show is pretty whiny-annoying. Not a real big fan. These people are losers....who wants to watch this?
  22. LoganZ.
    Sep 30, 2009
    It blew!
  23. DianaH
    Nov 2, 2009
    This show makes me laugh out loud. It's been a long time since a comedy has done that for me!
  24. ThomasS.
    Oct 2, 2009
    I laughed so hard all the way through. It seemed spot on for a typical middle American family. The acting was great. Can't wait to watch next week.
  25. ColeF
    Oct 28, 2009
    This show was very, very stupid and stereotypical. i live in Michigan and people don't ride around on tractors. This show makes everyone in the Midwest seem old-fashioned and stupid. It seems like all the set pieces came straight from the 70s.
  26. DeborahB.
    Oct 4, 2009
    Life is repetitive and demanding. How fun to see such an old formula repeated in such a fresh way.
  27. GinaH
    Oct 7, 2009
    I cracked up.It was good to laugh.
  28. BruceT
    Jan 27, 2010
    Loved Patricia Heaton in Raymond, but this sitcom is really awful. My wife and I have given it several chances, but it never rises above dismal to us.
  29. affa
    Jan 11, 2010
    It sucks, can't you see it? The acting is terrible, the jokes are so lame it isn't funny. And who names a kid BRICK?
  30. BobbyS.
    Oct 11, 2009
    Malcolm in the Middle was one of the most well-written and underrated series of the last decade and this sitcom seems desperate to be in that same niche. The characters here seemed too sitcom-y, as opposed to the lived-in wackiness of Malcolm in the Middle's family. Patricia Heaton lacks the acting chops to convince the viewer she's not merely a caricature, while Neil Flynn Malcolm in the Middle was one of the most well-written and underrated series of the last decade and this sitcom seems desperate to be in that same niche. The characters here seemed too sitcom-y, as opposed to the lived-in wackiness of Malcolm in the Middle's family. Patricia Heaton lacks the acting chops to convince the viewer she's not merely a caricature, while Neil Flynn plays the same demeanor he's played in nearly everything else he's ever been cast in. Bottom line: Not terrible, but not entertaining either. The Middle is over-the-top in the worst way and too obtuse, but it has room to grow. Expand
  31. JasonA
    Nov 18, 2009
    Watching this show is a complete waste of time. It's not funny. It's not creative. It's not even interesting. The show is so slow and I feel like i'm wasting my life away watching this garbage. I only have it on to make sure I don't miss Modern Family.
  32. Sep 13, 2010
    This is a truly atrocious program. Watched several episodes, and have not laughed. Characters are boring, and it's an obvious copy of Malcolm in the Middle.
  33. Feb 23, 2011
    Horrible writing, obvious and over-exaggerated 'humor'. Not to mention, this is simply a format that has been done time and time again, and only gets less and less funny.
  34. Sep 22, 2011
    I was looking forward to seeing Patricia Heaton in another funny sitcom, but this aint it. It was so awful, it was embarrassing! Witty, spunky and charming someone wrote. Are we watching the same show??!The situations were just silly and the writing horrible.
  35. Apr 9, 2013
    I can't put into words how much I dislike this tv show. The script is poorly written and not funny in the slightest. The worst thing about the show is the characters though, each one more annoying and dislike-able than the last, the most annoying of which in the daughter sue, who seems to have learning difficulties because of how bad she is at literally everything and I don't find thisI can't put into words how much I dislike this tv show. The script is poorly written and not funny in the slightest. The worst thing about the show is the characters though, each one more annoying and dislike-able than the last, the most annoying of which in the daughter sue, who seems to have learning difficulties because of how bad she is at literally everything and I don't find this funny. If you are a fan of Malcolm in the Middle you will be further sickened by how much of a rip off the Middle is and how awful it is in comparison. Expand
  36. CynthiaA.
    Oct 1, 2009
    Loved it!!! Perfect Casting!
  37. GerriA.
    Oct 16, 2009
    It is funny without being vulgar.
  38. RicA
    Dec 10, 2009
    ...love "The Middle"! It is first sit-com I have taken an interest in years. Great cast and amusing, quirky writing without the self-indulgent smut of the rest. I hope it stays, ABC!
  39. FerdB
    Oct 21, 2009
    I had very low expectations that were far surpassed.
  40. TammieA
    Dec 3, 2009
    LOVED it! Saw last night's episode where Mom tries to get the kids to "just get along." The show is funny because it's soooo relate-able! I laughed so hard I had tears last night, LOL.
  41. RobynB.
    Oct 9, 2009
    Flynn & Heaton have a chemistry that usually takes years to achieve. The casting is brilliant. The writing is brilliant. I hope I can look forward to years of watching this wonderful show.
  42. PaulP.
    Sep 30, 2009
    Happy to see Patricia Heaton and Neil Flynn in this, but I'm afraid it's ultimately going to be a miss. It doesn't have funny enough lines to be a conventional sitcom, and it's not bizarre enough to be a satire. It might save itself with better writing, but we've seen both the "loser com" and the "truth that family life isn't Father Knows Best com" so many Happy to see Patricia Heaton and Neil Flynn in this, but I'm afraid it's ultimately going to be a miss. It doesn't have funny enough lines to be a conventional sitcom, and it's not bizarre enough to be a satire. It might save itself with better writing, but we've seen both the "loser com" and the "truth that family life isn't Father Knows Best com" so many times that this doesn't stand out from the crowd. Maybe, if they do more satire about the Midwest. but right now, it's just not unique enough. And not interesting enough in a conventional way to be even remotely near a must see. Expand
  43. DinaS
    Dec 1, 2009
    This is a hilarious show. It is very upsetting that I am not able to see the full episodes online if I happen to miss it during the week. Great show!
  44. jimbom
    Dec 4, 2009
    I hate sitcoms but The Middle was just awesome!
  45. cheryls
    Nov 11, 2009
    I laugh out loud watching this show! I am so thankful for a humorous look at true family life!
  46. Oct 10, 2010
    I love this show! i dont know what KellyV and Joe are talking about. Its the best show ever and we watch it as a family every wednesday! if this show gets cut i wont know what to do it is better than modern family and cougar town combined, I can easily relate to it and my whole family loves it
  47. Oct 27, 2010
    There are a lot of morons who have reviewed this and gave it 0,1 or 2. This show is funny and it isn't about celebrities or that sort of crap. Anyone who gave this a bad review obviously doesn't know what good tv is
  48. Nov 17, 2010
    This show is getting a lot less buzz than "Modern Family" but I actually like it better. "The Middle" has characters who are quirky and flawed, but are generally decent and caring. Patricia Heaton plays her role with talent and zest--the thankless work of being a second-tier and lousy car salesperson and the "second shift" of dealing with a weird and needy group of children and a decentThis show is getting a lot less buzz than "Modern Family" but I actually like it better. "The Middle" has characters who are quirky and flawed, but are generally decent and caring. Patricia Heaton plays her role with talent and zest--the thankless work of being a second-tier and lousy car salesperson and the "second shift" of dealing with a weird and needy group of children and a decent and ethical but mostly unhelpful husband (playing against type, since the same actor played the snarky and loony janitor on "Scrubs"). The youngest kid, Brick, is a hoot--and the young actor who plays him is amazing. He's brilliant on the one hand and somewhat nuts on the other. Perhaps he's meant to be some kind of high-functioning brilliant kid with Asperger's syndrome?? I love the way he repeats some of his words under his breath. The daughter is the epitome of a high-school loser, but she's also sweet and trusting and trying hard to fit in. The teenage son seems pretty realistic. A working-class family with two working parents trying hard to make it with low incomes and raise their kids to be decent people by sharing their own basic decency provides a much better role model for viewers of all ages than lots of so-called comedies on TV. I think "The Middle" is really funny and often makes me laugh out loud, and I like the fact that the characters care about each other. It's also nice to see a TV show in which people live in houses that look like those that a huge percentage of the American public actually lives in--not the stylish and huge houses Hollywood producers depict even for characters whose fictional occupations would have made them unlikely to afford such houses. So much of the entertainment industry seems totally out of touch with working and middle-class people--or with "the middle" of the country where this program is set. Expand
  49. Mar 17, 2011
    I think it's an entertaining show. It's a little more nuttier then your own life but something you could compare your family with and makes you laugh. It's better then another *fake* reality show.
  50. May 17, 2011
    Realistic dialogue. Plots are not as predictable as the average sitcom. Good casting. The settings feel real as well for a middle-class working family, and they fit the characters which in turn fit the scripts. Doesn't resort to crude humor for cheap laughs, earns them instead through creative plots and dialogue and lovable characters who seem perfectly suited for each of their roles andRealistic dialogue. Plots are not as predictable as the average sitcom. Good casting. The settings feel real as well for a middle-class working family, and they fit the characters which in turn fit the scripts. Doesn't resort to crude humor for cheap laughs, earns them instead through creative plots and dialogue and lovable characters who seem perfectly suited for each of their roles and their interactions with each other. A refresh on the family sitcom. Personally, I started watching television again because of this show. Expand
  51. Aug 30, 2011
    I like this show and I have watched the two seasons but I think this show can't last several seasons with that kind of jokes: The story lines are really predictable and the characters haven't evolve a lot for two seasons. I hope the third season will be better.
  52. Sep 8, 2011
    Despite the brilliant Neil Flynn as a major cast member, this show just didn't tickle my funny bone. The premises are possibly funny, and some moments I thought were kind of clever, but overall it didn't impress.
  53. DAW
    Sep 15, 2011
    I love this show. I think the comedy is spot on for Mid-America and families with quirky kids. I love Brick he is so well portrayed by Atticus. Poor Sue Heck!!!!!
  54. Nov 8, 2011
    The reference to passing gas was inappropriate and I will not watch the program again. You do not have to atop to such a level to make the show believable.
  55. Jun 23, 2012
    Truly Amazing show .All the characters have a unique strength and each one of them is equally humorous.You start to feel that this character is funny and then suddenly a funnier one comes along.One of the best comedy series
  56. Rfa
    Jul 28, 2012
    This show is is very funny. It is always funny. The cast has great chemistry. One of the best comedy series, is much better than "Modern Family". Deserves to win the Emmy for best comedy series.
  57. Aug 3, 2012
    I think this show is great. It is very relatable, and unlike other comedies there is nothing too racy. This makes it very family friendly, but its not a kids show. Its of a very high quality and is very funny.
  58. May 16, 2013
    The Middle is such an enjoyable show to watch as any family can probably in some way and I know my family certainly does. Episodes don't really stand-out from one another so in general its pretty much an above-average show. Patricia Heaton is the star and provides a lot of the laughs, but props to the kids who can also deliver also. I'm looking forward to continuing with the series.
  59. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i love this show, its one of my favorites show. please don't ever cancel it. I love all the characters, my favorite is Axl. i'm looking forward for the 5th season and i really hope they will make a season after that as well. Great show. Expand
  60. May 3, 2015
    This show is awesome. I've watched every episode and I've never been able to say 'well, they didn't put much effort into this one.' It's so funny and true at the same time! You'll surely find something that will remind you of your own family.

Needless to say the casting and plot are great. Together they have adapted through the years to keep the story fresh and real as the kids grow up and their lives evolve.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    In its second season, Patricia Heaton's family sitcom seems to have found its natural resting point.
    It's hard to know where The Middle will go after tonight's decent pilot. And that's part of the sitcom's promise, that it has the potential to blossom into a sweet if small celebration of a family of oddballs living distinctly unhip lives.
  3. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    The Middle isn't the kind of sitcom you laugh at; it's the kind you laugh with.