• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 30, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
7.5

1. Aug 21, 2010
    The Middle is one of the most enjoyable shows on television. Witty, spunky, and charming, it is constantly churning out the goofy, quirkiness that is the average Midwestern family. I especially enjoy Eden Sher's Sue, who is just plain fun to watch. Definitely one of TV 's best comedies.
  2. Mar 11, 2011
    This show is great. It is always funny. The cast has great chemistry. They are just a working family with three very different kids. They are such a likable family that a lot of people can relate to.
  3. Mar 2, 2011
    This is the only show I can watch on TV, maybe because I don't feel like it is trying to push me into anything, but rather get me to feel I am understood by people like me who are going through what I am going through. Guess I'm in the middle. The network initially did so much to push the much touted show on "new" families, when in fact this was the gem all along. It is pitch perfect to me, as someone who has three kids about those ages myself, and lives in similar circumstances. Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2012
    My entire family loves this show. All 3 of my kids watch each episode recorded by hubby over and over and over. I feel like it was based on our family. I always LOL at each episode and I think each character is very likeable. I have no clue why people are saying the family are losers. They aren't. They are a REAL family.
    Great show!
  5. Aug 15, 2010
    Absolutely terrible. I watched this on Sky in the UK - this was billed as laugh out loud - after 20 mins turned it off - absolutely nothing to smile at never mind raise a giggle.
  6. Sep 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the middle is fantastic, because is not the kind of serie to pretend teach us what is correct or not to do with our lives. Those people are loosers and know that, maybe they won at lottery, till there there is no hope for them in life, even if in the middle. there is no happy end, we have something like not
    #10 of 10
  7. KMT
    Oct 3, 2010
    I love this show! I think most of us with families can relate to the stories... So funny! I keep waiting for the ratings to catch up. I guess it will be like Everybody Loves Raymond, meaning it may take a while. I also like Modern Family. These are two shows I have to always record!
  8. Jun 5, 2013
    I absolutely love this show. It is one of my favorite shows on tv. It makes me laugh out loud every time it is on. Frankie Heck is hilarious. Sue is her daughter and her character is also just really funny. She usually has my whole family laughing. I just love this show all together. Its clean and great for the whole family. If this show doesn't continue on ABC I will be extremely disappointed. I hope this show will continue to brighten my Wednesday nights for years to come! Expand
  9. Sep 13, 2010
    This is a truly atrocious program. Watched several episodes, and have not laughed. Characters are boring, and it's an obvious copy of Malcolm in the Middle.
  10. Oct 10, 2010
    I love this show! i dont know what KellyV and Joe are talking about. Its the best show ever and we watch it as a family every wednesday! if this show gets cut i wont know what to do it is better than modern family and cougar town combined, I can easily relate to it and my whole family loves it
  11. Oct 27, 2010
    There are a lot of morons who have reviewed this and gave it 0,1 or 2. This show is funny and it isn't about celebrities or that sort of crap. Anyone who gave this a bad review obviously doesn't know what good tv is
  12. Nov 17, 2010
    This show is getting a lot less buzz than "Modern Family" but I actually like it better. "The Middle" has characters who are quirky and flawed, but are generally decent and caring. Patricia Heaton plays her role with talent and zest--the thankless work of being a second-tier and lousy car salesperson and the "second shift" of dealing with a weird and needy group of children and a decent and ethical but mostly unhelpful husband (playing against type, since the same actor played the snarky and loony janitor on "Scrubs"). The youngest kid, Brick, is a hoot--and the young actor who plays him is amazing. He's brilliant on the one hand and somewhat nuts on the other. Perhaps he's meant to be some kind of high-functioning brilliant kid with Asperger's syndrome?? I love the way he repeats some of his words under his breath. The daughter is the epitome of a high-school loser, but she's also sweet and trusting and trying hard to fit in. The teenage son seems pretty realistic. A working-class family with two working parents trying hard to make it with low incomes and raise their kids to be decent people by sharing their own basic decency provides a much better role model for viewers of all ages than lots of so-called comedies on TV. I think "The Middle" is really funny and often makes me laugh out loud, and I like the fact that the characters care about each other. It's also nice to see a TV show in which people live in houses that look like those that a huge percentage of the American public actually lives in--not the stylish and huge houses Hollywood producers depict even for characters whose fictional occupations would have made them unlikely to afford such houses. So much of the entertainment industry seems totally out of touch with working and middle-class people--or with "the middle" of the country where this program is set. Expand
  13. Feb 23, 2011
    Horrible writing, obvious and over-exaggerated 'humor'. Not to mention, this is simply a format that has been done time and time again, and only gets less and less funny.
  14. Mar 17, 2011
    I think it's an entertaining show. It's a little more nuttier then your own life but something you could compare your family with and makes you laugh. It's better then another *fake* reality show.
  15. May 17, 2011
    Realistic dialogue. Plots are not as predictable as the average sitcom. Good casting. The settings feel real as well for a middle-class working family, and they fit the characters which in turn fit the scripts. Doesn't resort to crude humor for cheap laughs, earns them instead through creative plots and dialogue and lovable characters who seem perfectly suited for each of their roles and their interactions with each other. A refresh on the family sitcom. Personally, I started watching television again because of this show. Expand
  16. Aug 30, 2011
    I like this show and I have watched the two seasons but I think this show can't last several seasons with that kind of jokes: The story lines are really predictable and the characters haven't evolve a lot for two seasons. I hope the third season will be better.
  17. Sep 8, 2011
    Despite the brilliant Neil Flynn as a major cast member, this show just didn't tickle my funny bone. The premises are possibly funny, and some moments I thought were kind of clever, but overall it didn't impress.
  18. DAW
    Sep 15, 2011
    I love this show. I think the comedy is spot on for Mid-America and families with quirky kids. I love Brick he is so well portrayed by Atticus. Poor Sue Heck!!!!!
  19. Sep 22, 2011
    I was looking forward to seeing Patricia Heaton in another funny sitcom, but this aint it. It was so awful, it was embarrassing! Witty, spunky and charming someone wrote. Are we watching the same show??!The situations were just silly and the writing horrible.
  20. Nov 8, 2011
    The reference to passing gas was inappropriate and I will not watch the program again. You do not have to atop to such a level to make the show believable.
  21. Jun 23, 2012
    Truly Amazing show .All the characters have a unique strength and each one of them is equally humorous.You start to feel that this character is funny and then suddenly a funnier one comes along.One of the best comedy series
  22. Rfa
    Jul 28, 2012
    This show is is very funny. It is always funny. The cast has great chemistry. One of the best comedy series, is much better than "Modern Family". Deserves to win the Emmy for best comedy series.
  23. Aug 3, 2012
    I think this show is great. It is very relatable, and unlike other comedies there is nothing too racy. This makes it very family friendly, but its not a kids show. Its of a very high quality and is very funny.
  24. May 16, 2013
    The Middle is such an enjoyable show to watch as any family can probably in some way and I know my family certainly does. Episodes don't really stand-out from one another so in general its pretty much an above-average show. Patricia Heaton is the star and provides a lot of the laughs, but props to the kids who can also deliver also. I'm looking forward to continuing with the series.
  25. Apr 9, 2013
    I can't put into words how much I dislike this tv show. The script is poorly written and not funny in the slightest. The worst thing about the show is the characters though, each one more annoying and dislike-able than the last, the most annoying of which in the daughter sue, who seems to have learning difficulties because of how bad she is at literally everything and I don't find this funny. If you are a fan of Malcolm in the Middle you will be further sickened by how much of a rip off the Middle is and how awful it is in comparison. Expand
  26. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i love this show, its one of my favorites show. please don't ever cancel it. I love all the characters, my favorite is Axl. i'm looking forward for the 5th season and i really hope they will make a season after that as well. Great show. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 15, 2010
    In its second season, Patricia Heaton's family sitcom seems to have found its natural resting point.
    It's hard to know where The Middle will go after tonight's decent pilot. And that's part of the sitcom's promise, that it has the potential to blossom into a sweet if small celebration of a family of oddballs living distinctly unhip lives.
  3. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    The Middle isn't the kind of sitcom you laugh at; it's the kind you laugh with.