The Newsroom : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.3

1. May 20, 2013
    Went down hill fast after the opening monologue and never regained its footing. Cheesy, schmaltzy, self-indulgent pabulum. The episode with the psychiatrist was probably the best one. The 9/11 episode? Unbelievably turgid. I thought the critics were being unduly harsh at first, but now I see why.
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    First episode: 7/10. Second episode: 1/10. What started in episode 1 as a cutting and crackling critique of modern America through the prism of televised news devolved in episode 2 into a preachy mess of irritating people screaming and gesticulating wildly, neither half as funny or half as smart -- or half as believable -- as they're supposed to be. Abysmal. Avoid.
  3. Dec 29, 2014
    A simply awful blowhard of a series. A thinly disguised propaganda vehicle for falsehoods and distortions that sound like they came from lists of Democratic talking points. I couldn't keep track of all the things in the script I knew to be false. Governor Walker out to "break the unions." The evil Koch Brothers head "the second largest company in the US" who "can buy and sell GeorgeA simply awful blowhard of a series. A thinly disguised propaganda vehicle for falsehoods and distortions that sound like they came from lists of Democratic talking points. I couldn't keep track of all the things in the script I knew to be false. Governor Walker out to "break the unions." The evil Koch Brothers head "the second largest company in the US" who "can buy and sell George Soros." On and on.

This series could have been a charming throwback to the gruff Spencer Tracey characters of the 30s with crackling fast dialogue, wit, and charm. Instead it clunks with heavy handed witless scripts, dull characters expounding pompous garbage, and loud shouting over nothingness. Not worth watching.
  4. Jul 29, 2015
    Fast paced and fascinating for two episodes. Then you discover the entire cast is all Liberal, by Liberals and for Liberals. In episode three they introduce Jane Fonda. Any questions?

Their news team wants to bring back honor and integrity to media figures. In order to establish that, they have to "tell the truth." The truth is, all of America's ills are sponsored and controlled by the evil Right Wing. Yawn.

The fact that anyone could write a positive review on this claptrap is just so sad. WAIT: This just in: Republicans are trying to heat the earth in order to blow it up. Their plan is to escape first in space tubes. They are going to congregate in a nearby galaxy where they will sell pieces of our planet as inter-galactic skateboards. Lets cut to [pick your name] in [pick your place.] Whats going on over there: Well Republican Party Leaders are denying the allegations vehemently. But right now the President along with his Democrat Former Presidents are all holding hands outside the White House. They have issued this statement: We believe it is imperative that the planet should remain intact and and stay INSIDE the Milky Way. And that all Americans should vote Democrat from here on in!

That sort of thing. Liberal utopia. The newscast team decides that Americans are not dumb. Except of course for the people that vote Republican. We will try to educate them.

Horrible. Ridiculous. Terribly embarrassing and EXTEMELY popular. Liberal Dolts love it!

All others... if you have a brain... don't waste your precious time.

Oh and yes everyone is having sex. No one is married and no one is happy with the person that their sleeping with...
  5. Jul 5, 2013
    What an interesting show. While his characters sanctimoniously rail against reductio ad absurdum in media, the show Sorkin wrote does nothing but just that: create strawmen and burn them down. Every episode has the same plot with different minor events and names. Every character has the same personality, with different minor details. If you've managed to watch one full episode of thisWhat an interesting show. While his characters sanctimoniously rail against reductio ad absurdum in media, the show Sorkin wrote does nothing but just that: create strawmen and burn them down. Every episode has the same plot with different minor events and names. Every character has the same personality, with different minor details. If you've managed to watch one full episode of this train wreck you've seen all the episodes. Nothing. Ever. Changes. Nothing. New. Ever. Happens.

When finished with the 10 episodes, you will only feel sadness for Sorkin, the show's writer who attempts to indict journalists and tea party politicians but actually succeeds only in psychological projection. Indicting himself and letting us live in the twisted, tortured, cognitive dissonance and willful self delusion that is his mind.

Great drama immerses the viewer in the story. Good drama attracts the viewer to characters. OK drama entertains. This drama can't get out of its own way. It's so shockingly bad that the viewer essentially cannot stop thinking about the psychological issues of its creator and the torture it must be, being Aaron Sorkin.

The show is sanctimonious, it panders, it insults your intelligence, it is openly hypocritical. But worse, perhaps, is its predictability. It is superficial, transparently propagandist, insulting to its viewers and indicts its fans along with its creator as hopelessly one dimensional, myopic, and ignorant. And its cynicism while doing it betrays a deep psychological malfunction in a nation where this type of entertainment is so popular and fools so many people.

Shockingly bad television.
  6. May 29, 2014
    This TV show was really entairtening and a bit sharp until....episode 5/1 season 1...! What happened ?? seriously? The glorifying of ben laden death as the greatest news in the century..?! and was the pedantic patriotic way to annonce the news necessary? This really made the serie loose all of its credibility for me..it s started well though...No America is not the greatest nation in the world..
  7. Jul 9, 2012
    The show has no characters. Through the first three episodes Sam Waterson is the only actor who has been able to illustrate any depth in the role he is playing. The dialogue is witty and fast paced, typical of Sorkin. But ultimately the show's plot device is that the writers set up arguments on terms favorable to whatever point they're trying to make and then proceed to pat themselves onThe show has no characters. Through the first three episodes Sam Waterson is the only actor who has been able to illustrate any depth in the role he is playing. The dialogue is witty and fast paced, typical of Sorkin. But ultimately the show's plot device is that the writers set up arguments on terms favorable to whatever point they're trying to make and then proceed to pat themselves on the back for arguing so successfully. Having this silly argumentative style as the central plot device is a problem when the show has no compelling characters. To put a less kind spin on it, the show could be retitled "Strawmen." Expand
  8. Oct 26, 2012
    This show reminds me of the arguments people have in their heads. They never lose those arguments because they create lopsided points and make their opponents like idiots. This show is one straw man argument after another. The lead character is a republican/moderat/democrat that simply does not exist. It's the same thing that use to happen on West Wing. The writer (Sorkin) has no ideaThis show reminds me of the arguments people have in their heads. They never lose those arguments because they create lopsided points and make their opponents like idiots. This show is one straw man argument after another. The lead character is a republican/moderat/democrat that simply does not exist. It's the same thing that use to happen on West Wing. The writer (Sorkin) has no idea how to really create a republican candidate because he doesn't understand the republican mindset. Every character is the exact same style just representing a caricature of a real issue and then they go from one dramatic speech to another. Unrealistic dialogue. Unrealistic events. Trying to make news reporting way more dramatic and important than it really is. Just silly. Expand
  9. Jul 9, 2013
    I noticed that you have Jane Fonda in your series of Newsroom. I am a Vietnam Veteran. I and thousands like me would never watch any show or series with Jane Fonda in it. At the VFW post I belong her picture is at the base of the urinals. This woman should have been charged with treason. She is a shame to Americans. It is a shame that your series felt she was needed. Big mistake.
  10. Dec 18, 2012
    I have watch the entire 1st season of newsroom, just because i love the opening monologue on the first episode, but this show is so incredibly bad i had to write something about it, the worst character and acting in actress who in the show is called mac or mackenzie. gosh, her character is clumsy, dumb, exaggerated, naive, weak, fake and badly written, her character seems to be like aI have watch the entire 1st season of newsroom, just because i love the opening monologue on the first episode, but this show is so incredibly bad i had to write something about it, the worst character and acting in actress who in the show is called mac or mackenzie. gosh, her character is clumsy, dumb, exaggerated, naive, weak, fake and badly written, her character seems to be like a spoiled little girl with an office job. I was hoping for a interesting and informative show about news, and what you get is drama, drama and drama but just centred around the "news" subject. Its just another drama, the difference is that the horrible acting, lack of plot, shallowness of the characters makes this show the worst i have seen in a while, its so bad that i actually created an account on this web site just so i could write about it. i am passionately disappointed with this show. Expand
  11. Nov 17, 2013
    Everything that Aaron Sorkin writes comes from a place of dishonesty. He wishes to brainwash his viewers much like MSNBC/NBC news stick up for Obama brainwashing. The country is becoming more ignorant because people watch shows like this and in fact it's the same thing as the mainstream media. It's fantasy and made up. Watch Fox News and read drudgereport.com and the WallstreetEverything that Aaron Sorkin writes comes from a place of dishonesty. He wishes to brainwash his viewers much like MSNBC/NBC news stick up for Obama brainwashing. The country is becoming more ignorant because people watch shows like this and in fact it's the same thing as the mainstream media. It's fantasy and made up. Watch Fox News and read drudgereport.com and the Wallstreet Journal. If you are enjoying this show, it has to mean you are a liberal schmuck who supports the tyrant we have in office and watch MSNBC and Martin Bashir. Or you are resigned to the fact that Candy Crowley will lie for the president during a live debate in order to cover up Benghazi, something that CBS and 60 Minutes did already. This show is based on Chris Matthews and Lawrence O'Donnell, and Ed Schultz, all of whom are clinically insane. They've all had real life meltdowns and are admitted socialists. If you like this show, you probably have low character and are morally reprehensible as human beings. But enjoy, because it's just like mainstream media, fabrication and contrived fantasy. Expand
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    As the most over-hyped TV show of the year everyone has heard about it and after watching the pilot episode, making it through to the next is a massive feat. It consistently fails to meet the high expectations that it demanded. It chokes on its own sarcasm. The characters have no emotional levels - they are essentially the same person played by different actors and each actor tries playingAs the most over-hyped TV show of the year everyone has heard about it and after watching the pilot episode, making it through to the next is a massive feat. It consistently fails to meet the high expectations that it demanded. It chokes on its own sarcasm. The characters have no emotional levels - they are essentially the same person played by different actors and each actor tries playing the characters different but it ends up looking like they are talking to themselves in the mirror. Sorkin may be the golden boy of writing but not this time. The world that Sorkin portrays is unrealistic and deeply flawed. He tries to display a newsroom as it should be where everyone has the same knowledge and education making the audience think they are half-witted in comparison. It is an infuriating disaster and one that can only be tolerated by the die-hard Sorkin fanboys only. Expand
  13. Jul 1, 2012
    After indulging myself with the first two episodes on "The Newsroom", one moral theme seems all too abundant. Do not, under any circumstances, pander to ratings and the palate of the masses. And to be completely honest? That is the fear I have for Sorkin's newest endeavor. So long as newsroom does not begin to water down it's concepts and content, it has the makings of a cult (If notAfter indulging myself with the first two episodes on "The Newsroom", one moral theme seems all too abundant. Do not, under any circumstances, pander to ratings and the palate of the masses. And to be completely honest? That is the fear I have for Sorkin's newest endeavor. So long as newsroom does not begin to water down it's concepts and content, it has the makings of a cult (If not widely accepted) following. Expand
  14. Jul 9, 2012
    Like the West Wing, this show is fast paced, smart, and idealistic. They are both shows that hold up an image of the way the world should and could be. That's not everybody's thing but I love it. In comparison to the West Wing, its basically our universe 2 years ago. The difference is its our world re-envisioned with the news coverage we should have had. Smartly written and stillLike the West Wing, this show is fast paced, smart, and idealistic. They are both shows that hold up an image of the way the world should and could be. That's not everybody's thing but I love it. In comparison to the West Wing, its basically our universe 2 years ago. The difference is its our world re-envisioned with the news coverage we should have had. Smartly written and still developing, this show has a lot of promise. Its not a soap opera with big cliff hangers that will leave you clamoring for the next episode but I love that its thoughtful Collapse
  15. Jul 3, 2012
    I could only take one and a half episodes. The snappy dialogue from the team and the pure arrogance of the main character were appalling. The issues are a little dated and should be more current. Who cares what happened a year ago? I will not watch another episode.
  16. Jul 12, 2013
    It should be titled "Why Republicans are always wrong". I like Jeff Daniels, and the writing is often smart when it isn't pandering/sanctimonious/ridiculous, so I'm willing to give the 2nd season a shot, but only because they claim to have hired political consultants to present the GOP as more than knuckle-dragging trolls this time around.

I'll give one or two season 2 episodes a try

I'll give one or two season 2 episodes a try before signing off on this show as good for nothing but an infomercial for the DNC.
  17. Oct 25, 2015
    This is a show for people who can't get enough of MSNBC( or any other liberal media outlet for that matter) and need more of it, in fictional form too.
    But mostly this is intended for people who don't trust MSNBC- if they don't believe what they see on MSNBC they will believe what they see in a well crafted movie: that Republicans are the bad rich guys and Liberals are the smart and cool guys and oh, so modest.
    It's simply disguised propaganda.
    Could've been a fun show had it not been so politically biased.

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.