• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.4

1. Aug 27, 2014
    Every now and then, along comes a TV series that attains that rarefied air of greatness. The Newsroom is that show. Excellent acting, script, dialog with a fast enough moving storyline to keep you engaged. A special gem indeed. Highly recommend.
  2. Aug 19, 2014
    It's heavily one-sided, but Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom easily swipes away at any flaws it may contain with incredible writing and a fully committed performance from Jeff Daniels.
  3. May 29, 2014
    This TV show was really entairtening and a bit sharp until....episode 5/1 season 1...! What happened ?? seriously? The glorifying of ben laden death as the greatest news in the century..?! and was the pedantic patriotic way to annonce the news necessary? This really made the serie loose all of its credibility for me..it s started well though...No America is not the greatest nation in the world..
  4. Apr 18, 2014
    I highly recommend "The Newsroom" to anyone who is interested in current events but might find themselves disinterested and/or detached from today's journalistic news media. I have not started season 2 yet, but this show captured my attention from the very first scene of Will McAvoy giving his "America is no longer the greatest country in the world" speech at Northwestern University. The Newsroom not only entertains us but inspires a hope of what American journalism can be, and to a greater extent what the framework for a "national conversation" can look like. I noticed a complaint about the news topics not being "current" enough -- but keep in mind when this show originally aired...it's about as current as can be. For those who care, it's a much more wholesome product compared to a lot of the garbage that I see the critics praising, and I even find the show heartwarming at times (usually towards the end of episodes lol)..... give it a fair shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry critics, but you're dead wrong on this one. It's the viewers whose opinions matter most anyways, and the numbers don't lie. Two thumbs up!
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    F**k the critics.. Aaron Sorkin is a dramatical genius and this show is well acted & directed. Add it to great shows as West Wing. Truly a masterpiece//
  6. Jan 12, 2014
    I really want to love this show. I really do. There are a lot of things I do love about this show. The Sorkiness speed-talk, the great performances turned in by the lead are all stellar in my book. Two things are holding me back from loving the series. One, the lackluster performance by the supporting cast. Two, all the freakin' yelling. The cast needs a major group enema and a gallon of chill pills. Seriously. Everyone on this show is a freakin ticking time bomb. The staff is insubordinate. It's hard to tell who is in charge. You've got associate producers yelling at the sr. producers. EP's yelling at the talent. The talent yelling at anyone breathing. Some guy who doesn't even work on the show(Don whats-his-face) yelling at everyone.Some roommate of the AP chick dating the SP just burst into the office on valentine's day and started yelling and screaming. Can somebody call security?? It's completely chaotic and not in a train-wreck-you-cant-help-but-watch kind of way. Its just a train wreck. It is possible to have all the elements of drama with much less yelling and screaming. I would enjoy this show 1000% more, if the characters learned how to use their inside voice and knew their place. It's called being a professional actor. Make me feel the drama without spitting in my face. Expand
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    Everything that Aaron Sorkin writes comes from a place of dishonesty. He wishes to brainwash his viewers much like MSNBC/NBC news stick up for Obama brainwashing. The country is becoming more ignorant because people watch shows like this and in fact it's the same thing as the mainstream media. It's fantasy and made up. Watch Fox News and read drudgereport.com and the Wallstreet Journal. If you are enjoying this show, it has to mean you are a liberal schmuck who supports the tyrant we have in office and watch MSNBC and Martin Bashir. Or you are resigned to the fact that Candy Crowley will lie for the president during a live debate in order to cover up Benghazi, something that CBS and 60 Minutes did already. This show is based on Chris Matthews and Lawrence O'Donnell, and Ed Schultz, all of whom are clinically insane. They've all had real life meltdowns and are admitted socialists. If you like this show, you probably have low character and are morally reprehensible as human beings. But enjoy, because it's just like mainstream media, fabrication and contrived fantasy. Expand
  8. Nov 7, 2013
    LOVE this show. The writing and dialogue is amazingly witty and clever. The characters and plot are engaging. I also appreciate the political sub-texts. I can't wait to see what happens next season.
  9. Sep 20, 2013
    A well written and well paced story that works around true news stories. I just had to watch the first 10 minutes of the very first episode and I was hooked. It's a drama that's relate-able if you pay attention to the news.
  10. Sep 5, 2013
    i really enjoy this show and the characters. I don't understand why it is considered "hate viewing" buy so many perhaps because it wears its liberalism on its sleeve? Its West Wing in a newsroom big issues, snappy dialogue, a good mix of characters to like and to hate, and some eye candy too.
  11. Aug 31, 2013
    The Pilot is phenomenal. Watch that if nothing else. The rest of the show has its highs and lows. Witty like Sorkin can be, but with some annoying, messy characters. It's intelligent but also occasionally preachy, schmaltzy and melodramatic. It's not great television, but it's certainly bold. 6.8/10
  12. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of critical critics are just politically oriented opinions. Worst TV series ever? I would say the guy who says that is worse professional ever. The show is brilliant sometimes, kind of dumb about the personal love relationships but quite clever about the rest. I imagine Talibans means otherwise. Expand
  13. Aug 19, 2013
    Season 1 had very few redeeming qualities. In fact, I don't even remember what they were. The show was incredibly smarmy and pat (from me, a professed liberal). Mackenzie is supposed to be this great and powerful producer, yet, she doesn't know how to not send an email to the entire staff? She bumbles her way through every scene, which just outs Aaron Sorkin (again) for his lack of knowing anything of how to write female characters. Bah. Expand
  14. Aug 12, 2013
    Great show; really grows on you. HOWEVER, Emily Mortimer has got to go. She is entirely unbelieveable as the Ex. Producer. Part of it is the script, for sure; but much of it is how she over plays each and every scene. No Ex. Producer would carry on the way she does, near hysteria in the public rooms about her personal life. She comes across as frail, weak and lacking in the gravitas necessary to carry out a job like that. As for the writing: enough already re. "Will & Mack's" former relationship. They are behaving like jr. highschoolers. Expand
  15. Aug 10, 2013
    The heavily forced dialogue is unforgivably cheesy and the characters are outright annoying, especially in the way they finish each other's sentences. This show had great potential from an experienced writer but unfortunately, the quality does not match the ambition.
  16. Aug 1, 2013
    I can't believe some of the critics are being so silly about this. This is just about the best show on tv over the past few years. Not that I would expect anything less from Aaron Sorkin, but he really nailed it this time...
  17. Jul 28, 2013
    Whilst many critics have judged The Newsroom harshly for being 'preachey' and ignorant of the fourth estate, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the positive qualities of this wonderful show. Sorkin delivers witty, fast-paced dialogue giving the audience something to really sink their teeth into. The banter amongst characters, reminiscent of Sorkin's The West Wing, overshadows any of the mundane, drab language that is plastered all over commercial TV. Furthermore, the show itself parallels the pace of the dialogue never letting up a dull moment. The show has also received a lot of criticism over the unrealistic characterisation of protagonist Will McAvoy. To any non-believers of the 'paragon' archetype, I would like to direct your attention to the immense success of Sorkin's Jed Bartlet, protagonist of The West Wing. Sorkin's Newsroom gives us hope that the paragons of this world will attempt to make the world a better place. Watch this show and see the characters defined not by their profession, but by their personalities as human beings. It's about time we had a show like this! Expand
  18. Jul 23, 2013
    This is just perfect...
    Its not only entertaining, but unpredictable and keeps us fully engaged in it...
    Its like you can feel the show...
    After watching the start of the 2nd season, I think Its going to be a bigger hit than anyone ever expected...
    Just Awesome..
  19. Jul 14, 2013
    It's almost scary how much the paid reviewers hate this show. The media doth protest too much, methinks. But what did Sorkin and crew think was going to happen when they wrote a show that calls out the industry with the loudest voice? Where the media seems to be hard at work is when they say, "The Newsroom is a hit piece on the Tea Party, or the Koch Brothers." What they are trying to do is deflect. The Newsroom is clearly a hit piece on them. period. Expand
  20. Jul 12, 2013
    It should be titled "Why Republicans are always wrong". I like Jeff Daniels, and the writing is often smart when it isn't pandering/sanctimonious/ridiculous, so I'm willing to give the 2nd season a shot, but only because they claim to have hired political consultants to present the GOP as more than knuckle-dragging trolls this time around.

I'll give one or two season 2 episodes a try
    before signing off on this show as good for nothing but an infomercial for the DNC. Expand
  21. Jul 9, 2013
    I noticed that you have Jane Fonda in your series of Newsroom. I am a Vietnam Veteran. I and thousands like me would never watch any show or series with Jane Fonda in it. At the VFW post I belong her picture is at the base of the urinals. This woman should have been charged with treason. She is a shame to Americans. It is a shame that your series felt she was needed. Big mistake.
  22. Jul 9, 2013
    I think the biggest flaw that the show is that they dwell too long on a scene far too often. Dwelling on a scene quickly turns it from good to bad. It gets on your nerves and it sort of ruins the show imo. Aside from that, There is some real potential here. The acting is good and it has quite a few promising moments that proves the show could easily become one of the best dramas on TV. I'd continue watching to see how it unfolds. Expand
  23. Jul 8, 2013
    After reading the reviews of pretentious journalist from main written media outlets like the NY Times and Wallstreet, I love the show even more. It has depth, comedy, and is one of the most thought provoking cable programs I’ve seen in a long time. Bravo.
  24. Jul 5, 2013
    What an interesting show. While his characters sanctimoniously rail against reductio ad absurdum in media, the show Sorkin wrote does nothing but just that: create strawmen and burn them down. Every episode has the same plot with different minor events and names. Every character has the same personality, with different minor details. If you've managed to watch one full episode of this train wreck you've seen all the episodes. Nothing. Ever. Changes. Nothing. New. Ever. Happens.

When finished with the 10 episodes, you will only feel sadness for Sorkin, the show's writer who attempts to indict journalists and tea party politicians but actually succeeds only in psychological projection. Indicting himself and letting us live in the twisted, tortured, cognitive dissonance and willful self delusion that is his mind.

Great drama immerses the viewer in the story. Good drama attracts the viewer to characters. OK drama entertains. This drama can't get out of its own way. It's so shockingly bad that the viewer essentially cannot stop thinking about the psychological issues of its creator and the torture it must be, being Aaron Sorkin.

The show is sanctimonious, it panders, it insults your intelligence, it is openly hypocritical. But worse, perhaps, is its predictability. It is superficial, transparently propagandist, insulting to its viewers and indicts its fans along with its creator as hopelessly one dimensional, myopic, and ignorant. And its cynicism while doing it betrays a deep psychological malfunction in a nation where this type of entertainment is so popular and fools so many people.

Shockingly bad television.
  25. May 20, 2013
    Went down hill fast after the opening monologue and never regained its footing. Cheesy, schmaltzy, self-indulgent pabulum. The episode with the psychiatrist was probably the best one. The 9/11 episode? Unbelievably turgid. I thought the critics were being unduly harsh at first, but now I see why.
  26. May 18, 2013
    If you are like me, you just discovered the genius that is The Newsroom, only to find the reviews of the show unfavorable to say the least. How can a show so captivating and motivational, receive such low marks from the greatest and most experienced critics of the last 40 years? It's because Aaron Sorkin didn't write this show to please 50 year old critics. He wrote it to inspire 20 year olds. He is speaking to a generation of young American's who have been told their entire lives that they are responsible for the collapse of a nation, and instead he is reminding us that through education and inspiration, we are the solution to the sickness that was our fathers generation. He uses drama and romance to lure in not just the highly educated, but all aspects of society while weaving in political messages and the importance of questioning the media. He learned from the West Wing that no 20 year old is taking a stand against big business by watching an hour of political based dialogue, so instead he wrote a series that speaks to them, incorporates drama, love, and even the power of the Internet and gave them a protagonist to look up to. That is the genius of Aaron Sorkin. Expand
  27. Apr 11, 2013
    Like most reviewers, I was drawn to this series because of the opening scene in the first episode which I would rate a 9/10. I was really excited to dive into this show. As the season went on, I just kept getting more disappointed with the ongoing fake wittiness of the new crew and the lack of depth in the acting. It is incredibly forced and uncomfortable to watch. The characters "Mac", "Maggie", "Jim" and "Jon" are annoying to watch and so one dimensional. There acting is pretentious. "Will" and "Sloan" are a joy to watch due to incredible acting. Probably the reason while I'll tune in again for season 2. I love the premise of the show but I hope they don't repeat season 1's short falls and just throw more recently experienced real life new stories at us wrapped with more pointless, grating banter. Expand
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    If you can keep up with Sorkin, you'll love this. If you don't like Sorkin's style, you'll hate this. The show has all the Sorkinisms: rapid dialogue, conversations while walking down hallways, characters who are quick to give impassioned monologues, and probably other ones I can't think of right now. Personally, I love it.
  29. Jan 13, 2013
    This could easily be the best show to come out of the American TV machine. Another triumph of Aaron Sorkin's abilities as a writer and a clear display that he's still in the 'sweet spot' of story propagation. Some have said that the show is 'preachy' and to them I say, watch Newsnight in the UK and one might gauge a real appreciation that exudes from a news anchor (sorry Jeremy). Some say that the show is too 'high-brow' and flaunts and agenda, and to them I say, GOOD. Why can't entertainment have a political agenda? Especially in the context that this programme is written in. Why can't entertainment show that the writer has an education and has assumed that the viewers have an education too? The acting is superb from a brilliant ensemble that is showcasing the acting talents of both the old-'er' generation with Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer portraying a dynamic, professional, yet chaotic, immature duo. Along with rising heavyweight Dev Patel, the show has only one place to go. Up. The only hang-up I have about this show is the underlying personal attitude that Sorkin has politically. This may seem hypocritical given what I've just said, however, Sorkin's thinly veiled content for the ultra conservatives in the Republican party (given his strong sympathies for the Democrats) is easy to spot and is only disguised by the fact the leading character is a Republican himself. Having said that, it's always fun to see someone poking fun at the Tea Party. The show has a great ensemble, great potential and a heavyweight production company, (let's face it HBO don't lend their name to a flop). It has the potential to go from brilliant to phenomenal. Expand
  30. Dec 23, 2012
    Totalt honesty: After watching the complete first season, I'm very disappointed in critics and the media for rating it so low. This show has a stellar cast that give incredible performances. The writing is totally brilliant, we all know how great Aaron Sorkin is. The show's humor is good, makes you laugh and gets you in the light mood. The pace of every single episode is proper and downright perfect at times. The intensity of the critical situations has been dramatized wonderfully. This is television, I don't know why people keep reviewing it on the basis of realistic point of views. I don't know how real world journalism works, neither do I give a damn about it. All I care about is that this show is thought-provoking and entertaining at the same time. And if you have a problem with that and you want it to be just like the real world reporting, then just go and watch the real world reporting like CNN or Fox. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.