The Newsroom : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.3

1. Feb 5, 2016
    I'd like to say this show is fresh & riveting with a very witty & intelligent dialogue, but they're using REAL news events from the past, and hindsight is 20/20. It's VERY easy to look BACK at what's already happened and concoct the PERFECT foil, answer or comeback that one DIDN'T have the presence of mind to come up with at the time. THAT'S exactly what's happening here... Sorkin hasI'd like to say this show is fresh & riveting with a very witty & intelligent dialogue, but they're using REAL news events from the past, and hindsight is 20/20. It's VERY easy to look BACK at what's already happened and concoct the PERFECT foil, answer or comeback that one DIDN'T have the presence of mind to come up with at the time. THAT'S exactly what's happening here... Sorkin has taken OLD (albeit important) news and, for entertainment's sake, re-written history to reflect the perfect response to, from & by an intelligent, arrogant-but-compassionate, well-read character that didn't exist at the time same REAL news was happening. So, to that end, I would be MORE impressed if he DID NOT use FACTUAL past news stories, but made up just as important FICTIONAL news stories to make the overall premise more believable and credible.

It's the classic 'I wish I would have thought of THAT then...." statement that we ALL make AFTER the fact, and we all know how EASY that is.
  2. Oct 25, 2015
    This is a show for people who can't get enough of MSNBC( or any other liberal media outlet for that matter) and need more of it, in fictional form too.
    But mostly this is intended for people who don't trust MSNBC- if they don't believe what they see on MSNBC they will believe what they see in a well crafted movie: that Republicans are the bad rich guys and Liberals are the smart and cool guys and oh, so modest.
    It's simply disguised propaganda.
    Could've been a fun show had it not been so politically biased.
  3. Aug 21, 2015
    Life imitating art as the Main Stream Reviewers attack anything remotely honest about the political system, ie the Tea Party. The Head of the Network wants to eliminate the show because it attacks the Tea Party. She uses the gossip columns, real life uses the reviewers. Low and behold, another popular show bites the dust! Moreover, this show only attacks the obvious while reinforcing theLife imitating art as the Main Stream Reviewers attack anything remotely honest about the political system, ie the Tea Party. The Head of the Network wants to eliminate the show because it attacks the Tea Party. She uses the gossip columns, real life uses the reviewers. Low and behold, another popular show bites the dust! Moreover, this show only attacks the obvious while reinforcing the fantasy that 19 Arabs were allowed to destroy the twin towers and building 7, that Osama Bin Laden was alive and killed by US Forces when anyone with Kidney disease would have died long before the alleged event. So even this limited hangout was squashed Expand
  4. Aug 6, 2015
    Aside from the West Wing, this is the great written show I've every seen (and I've seen a lot). The character development is fantastic and the real life events the show is built around lets you relive some of the biggest moments in the United States' recent history (with a slight editorial spin).

I say it's a must watch.
  5. Jul 29, 2015
    Fast paced and fascinating for two episodes. Then you discover the entire cast is all Liberal, by Liberals and for Liberals. In episode three they introduce Jane Fonda. Any questions?

Their news team wants to bring back honor and integrity to media figures. In order to establish that, they have to "tell the truth." The truth is, all of America's ills are sponsored and controlled by the evil Right Wing. Yawn.

The fact that anyone could write a positive review on this claptrap is just so sad. WAIT: This just in: Republicans are trying to heat the earth in order to blow it up. Their plan is to escape first in space tubes. They are going to congregate in a nearby galaxy where they will sell pieces of our planet as inter-galactic skateboards. Lets cut to [pick your name] in [pick your place.] Whats going on over there: Well Republican Party Leaders are denying the allegations vehemently. But right now the President along with his Democrat Former Presidents are all holding hands outside the White House. They have issued this statement: We believe it is imperative that the planet should remain intact and and stay INSIDE the Milky Way. And that all Americans should vote Democrat from here on in!

That sort of thing. Liberal utopia. The newscast team decides that Americans are not dumb. Except of course for the people that vote Republican. We will try to educate them.

Horrible. Ridiculous. Terribly embarrassing and EXTEMELY popular. Liberal Dolts love it!

All others... if you have a brain... don't waste your precious time.

Oh and yes everyone is having sex. No one is married and no one is happy with the person that their sleeping with...
  6. Jul 25, 2015
    It's heavily one-sided, but Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom easily swipes away at any flaws it may contain with incredible writing and a fully committed performance from Jeff Daniels.
  7. May 14, 2015
    great show, it's a shame it ended that soon...
    Jeff Daniels, Olivia Munn & Sam Waterston were super brilliant.
    It incites people to think for themselves and show how new media is making us dumber everyday.
  8. Mar 30, 2015
  9. Dec 29, 2014
    A simply awful blowhard of a series. A thinly disguised propaganda vehicle for falsehoods and distortions that sound like they came from lists of Democratic talking points. I couldn't keep track of all the things in the script I knew to be false. Governor Walker out to "break the unions." The evil Koch Brothers head "the second largest company in the US" who "can buy and sell GeorgeA simply awful blowhard of a series. A thinly disguised propaganda vehicle for falsehoods and distortions that sound like they came from lists of Democratic talking points. I couldn't keep track of all the things in the script I knew to be false. Governor Walker out to "break the unions." The evil Koch Brothers head "the second largest company in the US" who "can buy and sell George Soros." On and on.

This series could have been a charming throwback to the gruff Spencer Tracey characters of the 30s with crackling fast dialogue, wit, and charm. Instead it clunks with heavy handed witless scripts, dull characters expounding pompous garbage, and loud shouting over nothingness. Not worth watching.
  10. Dec 13, 2014
    Terrific...poses questions... I don't know of any other show that takes on the world events and possible background... The romances are okay... The political and world information is stellar. It is a threat to the tea party, Fox News, conservatives....a big source of negative reviews.
  11. Nov 28, 2014
    This show rocks my world! Critics suck! It's so much better then most the duds on television and you know it. I'm just sad it's almost over. What a tragedy! Thank you Aaron Sorkin for being such an innovator and staying true to your voice. One of the finest writers of our time. Can't wait to see what you do next!
  12. Nov 23, 2014
    The delusion and arrogance are unmatched. Is it a show that makes dumb people feel smart? I'm couldn't say since I've never met a person that likes this show. Time to retire Sorkin, you will not be missed.
  13. Aug 27, 2014
    Every now and then, along comes a TV series that attains that rarefied air of greatness. The Newsroom is that show. Excellent acting, script, dialog with a fast enough moving storyline to keep you engaged. A special gem indeed. Highly recommend.
  14. Aug 19, 2014
  15. May 29, 2014
    This TV show was really entairtening and a bit sharp until....episode 5/1 season 1...! What happened ?? seriously? The glorifying of ben laden death as the greatest news in the century..?! and was the pedantic patriotic way to annonce the news necessary? This really made the serie loose all of its credibility for me..it s started well though...No America is not the greatest nation in the world..
  16. Apr 18, 2014
    I highly recommend "The Newsroom" to anyone who is interested in current events but might find themselves disinterested and/or detached from today's journalistic news media. I have not started season 2 yet, but this show captured my attention from the very first scene of Will McAvoy giving his "America is no longer the greatest country in the world" speech at Northwestern University. TheI highly recommend "The Newsroom" to anyone who is interested in current events but might find themselves disinterested and/or detached from today's journalistic news media. I have not started season 2 yet, but this show captured my attention from the very first scene of Will McAvoy giving his "America is no longer the greatest country in the world" speech at Northwestern University. The Newsroom not only entertains us but inspires a hope of what American journalism can be, and to a greater extent what the framework for a "national conversation" can look like. I noticed a complaint about the news topics not being "current" enough -- but keep in mind when this show originally aired...it's about as current as can be. For those who care, it's a much more wholesome product compared to a lot of the garbage that I see the critics praising, and I even find the show heartwarming at times (usually towards the end of episodes lol)..... give it a fair shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry critics, but you're dead wrong on this one. It's the viewers whose opinions matter most anyways, and the numbers don't lie. Two thumbs up!
  17. Mar 14, 2014
    F**k the critics.. Aaron Sorkin is a dramatical genius and this show is well acted & directed. Add it to great shows as West Wing. Truly a masterpiece//
  18. Jan 12, 2014
    I really want to love this show. I really do. There are a lot of things I do love about this show. The Sorkiness speed-talk, the great performances turned in by the lead are all stellar in my book. Two things are holding me back from loving the series. One, the lackluster performance by the supporting cast. Two, all the freakin' yelling. The cast needs a major group enema and a gallon ofI really want to love this show. I really do. There are a lot of things I do love about this show. The Sorkiness speed-talk, the great performances turned in by the lead are all stellar in my book. Two things are holding me back from loving the series. One, the lackluster performance by the supporting cast. Two, all the freakin' yelling. The cast needs a major group enema and a gallon of chill pills. Seriously. Everyone on this show is a freakin ticking time bomb. The staff is insubordinate. It's hard to tell who is in charge. You've got associate producers yelling at the sr. producers. EP's yelling at the talent. The talent yelling at anyone breathing. Some guy who doesn't even work on the show(Don whats-his-face) yelling at everyone.Some roommate of the AP chick dating the SP just burst into the office on valentine's day and started yelling and screaming. Can somebody call security?? It's completely chaotic and not in a train-wreck-you-cant-help-but-watch kind of way. Its just a train wreck. It is possible to have all the elements of drama with much less yelling and screaming. I would enjoy this show 1000% more, if the characters learned how to use their inside voice and knew their place. It's called being a professional actor. Make me feel the drama without spitting in my face. Expand
  19. Nov 17, 2013
    Everything that Aaron Sorkin writes comes from a place of dishonesty. He wishes to brainwash his viewers much like MSNBC/NBC news stick up for Obama brainwashing. The country is becoming more ignorant because people watch shows like this and in fact it's the same thing as the mainstream media. It's fantasy and made up. Watch Fox News and read drudgereport.com and the WallstreetEverything that Aaron Sorkin writes comes from a place of dishonesty. He wishes to brainwash his viewers much like MSNBC/NBC news stick up for Obama brainwashing. The country is becoming more ignorant because people watch shows like this and in fact it's the same thing as the mainstream media. It's fantasy and made up. Watch Fox News and read drudgereport.com and the Wallstreet Journal. If you are enjoying this show, it has to mean you are a liberal schmuck who supports the tyrant we have in office and watch MSNBC and Martin Bashir. Or you are resigned to the fact that Candy Crowley will lie for the president during a live debate in order to cover up Benghazi, something that CBS and 60 Minutes did already. This show is based on Chris Matthews and Lawrence O'Donnell, and Ed Schultz, all of whom are clinically insane. They've all had real life meltdowns and are admitted socialists. If you like this show, you probably have low character and are morally reprehensible as human beings. But enjoy, because it's just like mainstream media, fabrication and contrived fantasy. Expand
  20. Nov 7, 2013
    LOVE this show. The writing and dialogue is amazingly witty and clever. The characters and plot are engaging. I also appreciate the political sub-texts. I can't wait to see what happens next season.
  21. Sep 20, 2013
    A well written and well paced story that works around true news stories. I just had to watch the first 10 minutes of the very first episode and I was hooked. It's a drama that's relate-able if you pay attention to the news.
  22. Sep 5, 2013
    i really enjoy this show and the characters. I don't understand why it is considered "hate viewing" buy so many perhaps because it wears its liberalism on its sleeve? Its West Wing in a newsroom big issues, snappy dialogue, a good mix of characters to like and to hate, and some eye candy too.
  23. Aug 31, 2013
    The Pilot is phenomenal. Watch that if nothing else. The rest of the show has its highs and lows. Witty like Sorkin can be, but with some annoying, messy characters. It's intelligent but also occasionally preachy, schmaltzy and melodramatic. It's not great television, but it's certainly bold. 6.8/10
  24. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of critical critics are just politically oriented opinions. Worst TV series ever? I would say the guy who says that is worse professional ever. The show is brilliant sometimes, kind of dumb about the personal love relationships but quite clever about the rest. I imagine Talibans means otherwise. Expand
  25. Aug 19, 2013
    Season 1 had very few redeeming qualities. In fact, I don't even remember what they were. The show was incredibly smarmy and pat (from me, a professed liberal). Mackenzie is supposed to be this great and powerful producer, yet, she doesn't know how to not send an email to the entire staff? She bumbles her way through every scene, which just outs Aaron Sorkin (again) for his lack ofSeason 1 had very few redeeming qualities. In fact, I don't even remember what they were. The show was incredibly smarmy and pat (from me, a professed liberal). Mackenzie is supposed to be this great and powerful producer, yet, she doesn't know how to not send an email to the entire staff? She bumbles her way through every scene, which just outs Aaron Sorkin (again) for his lack of knowing anything of how to write female characters. Bah. Expand
  26. Aug 12, 2013
    Great show; really grows on you. HOWEVER, Emily Mortimer has got to go. She is entirely unbelieveable as the Ex. Producer. Part of it is the script, for sure; but much of it is how she over plays each and every scene. No Ex. Producer would carry on the way she does, near hysteria in the public rooms about her personal life. She comes across as frail, weak and lacking in the gravitasGreat show; really grows on you. HOWEVER, Emily Mortimer has got to go. She is entirely unbelieveable as the Ex. Producer. Part of it is the script, for sure; but much of it is how she over plays each and every scene. No Ex. Producer would carry on the way she does, near hysteria in the public rooms about her personal life. She comes across as frail, weak and lacking in the gravitas necessary to carry out a job like that. As for the writing: enough already re. "Will & Mack's" former relationship. They are behaving like jr. highschoolers. Expand
  27. Aug 10, 2013
    The heavily forced dialogue is unforgivably cheesy and the characters are outright annoying, especially in the way they finish each other's sentences. This show had great potential from an experienced writer but unfortunately, the quality does not match the ambition.
  28. Aug 1, 2013
    I can't believe some of the critics are being so silly about this. This is just about the best show on tv over the past few years. Not that I would expect anything less from Aaron Sorkin, but he really nailed it this time...
  29. Jul 28, 2013
    Whilst many critics have judged The Newsroom harshly for being 'preachey' and ignorant of the fourth estate, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the positive qualities of this wonderful show. Sorkin delivers witty, fast-paced dialogue giving the audience something to really sink their teeth into. The banter amongst characters, reminiscent of Sorkin's The West Wing, overshadows anyWhilst many critics have judged The Newsroom harshly for being 'preachey' and ignorant of the fourth estate, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the positive qualities of this wonderful show. Sorkin delivers witty, fast-paced dialogue giving the audience something to really sink their teeth into. The banter amongst characters, reminiscent of Sorkin's The West Wing, overshadows any of the mundane, drab language that is plastered all over commercial TV. Furthermore, the show itself parallels the pace of the dialogue never letting up a dull moment. The show has also received a lot of criticism over the unrealistic characterisation of protagonist Will McAvoy. To any non-believers of the 'paragon' archetype, I would like to direct your attention to the immense success of Sorkin's Jed Bartlet, protagonist of The West Wing. Sorkin's Newsroom gives us hope that the paragons of this world will attempt to make the world a better place. Watch this show and see the characters defined not by their profession, but by their personalities as human beings. It's about time we had a show like this! Expand
  30. Jul 23, 2013
    This is just perfect...
    Its not only entertaining, but unpredictable and keeps us fully engaged in it...
    Its like you can feel the show...
    After watching the start of the 2nd season, I think Its going to be a bigger hit than anyone ever expected...
    Just Awesome..

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.