• Network: HBO
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.4

1. hbo
    Jun 24, 2012
    This could be the best show I have seen in a long long time. A lot of the critics reviews make me angry, they have to remember that it's a television show and to stop taking it so personally. I applaud HBO for sticking with Aaron Sorkin to make this happen. Television is supposed to be entertaining, if it was supposed to be real, we'd just be watching CNBC or CNN. Be sure to watch and judge this amazing show on your own, not from the eyes of a journalist that is comparing it to their own life and work. I can't wait for this season to unfold! Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    First episode: 7/10. Second episode: 1/10. What started in episode 1 as a cutting and crackling critique of modern America through the prism of televised news devolved in episode 2 into a preachy mess of irritating people screaming and gesticulating wildly, neither half as funny or half as smart -- or half as believable -- as they're supposed to be. Abysmal. Avoid.
  3. May 20, 2013
    Went down hill fast after the opening monologue and never regained its footing. Cheesy, schmaltzy, self-indulgent pabulum. The episode with the psychiatrist was probably the best one. The 9/11 episode? Unbelievably turgid. I thought the critics were being unduly harsh at first, but now I see why.
  4. Jun 26, 2012
    I have just seen the first chapter. I was so bummed about the critics reviews that I thought the show went over the line with a speech every ten seconds and not enough character development. But no, turns out critics suck balls. This looks like another masterpiece from Aaron Sorkin and people will leave the show more informed than they were before. I specially loved the "compromise" line, as a metaphor of how it usually works for the democrats. I loved it. Watch it, and please ignore the ratings or critics, this is only a 1000% Sorkin. Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2012
    Wasn't expecting much when I checked out this one, but I couldn't have been more wrong, as out just clicked. The Newsroom is intelligent AND inspiring, with excellent writing. :) And here I thought they don't make shows like this anymore these days...
  6. Jul 2, 2012
    Great show. HBO consistently produces some of the best TV. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written/acted and, yes, not perfect. The pilot set the bar so high that ep. 2 was bound to pale a bit by comparison. On the other hand, it had a procedural feeling I enjoyed -- like Newsroom's world was still congealing; finding its rhythm or whatever. You can find plenty to criticize. McAvoy might be a slightly more believable Republican if he stopped behaving like a 3D person. And Allison Pill might've served her character better in ep. 2 if she'd delivered her lines deadpan as opposed to Full Screech. And Mortimer (who kicks butt) might be a happier actress if her character didn't fall into the goofiest technotraps of the pre-Cambrian era: 2002. Then again, if you scrutinize anything too hard (and this show has received more scrutiny than any other in recent memory, which is kind of bizarre) it's going to seem like a failure. We could also whine about the way dragons really strain credulity in Game of Thrones. To say nothing of those Nordic zombies, who make it tough to suspend your disbelief, huh? Let's not forget the more conventional zombies of Walking Dead: hey, that's not an accurate portrayal of Atlanta! Or how Breaking Bad's Walter White's literally unbelievable luck passes understanding 9 times out of 10. Or how Mad Men's period-piece misogyny really offends us as it's not nice to not be nice All. The. Time. And the Sopranos. Were we really supposed to put up with six seasons of James Gandolfini's character's twee pop-psych issues? Yes. BECAUSE IT'S TV. It would take far more than 5000 characters to really unpack this, so just watch the show. You won't regret it. And it'll be readily apparent why viewers universally love Newsroom while critics wring their hands over the way characters don't rely on Twitter for leads -- how unrealistic! Expand
  7. Jul 1, 2012
    This show is one of the best on tv right now. Loved the dialog and the idealism -- makes me really miss the days when the news was actually the news and not the endless crap about things that don't matter that we have to put up with now unless we watch PBS. Would love to be able to post his bit about America in the opening sequence -- it is the truth. It's smart and funny and I'm looking forward to the next nine episodes. Collapse
  8. Jul 12, 2012
    After watching the first 2 episodes, I was delighted: great writing and acting, witty lines and complex characters. Maybe it would help me pass the time until The Good Wife, Homeland and Boss all return next fall. The 3rd episode completely disgusted me. The plot is now mostly about politics, and the show has become disturbingly manipulative, in a not-so-subtle way: a show written by a liberal about a fictional conservative anchor which, because of his high integrity and intelligence, happens to share the average liberal's ideas about the republican party and the tea party. I am not American, nor a fan of the tea party, but I don't like feeling manipulated, especially when it is done is such an obvious way. Expand
  9. Jul 2, 2012
    What is wrong with the critics!?! Usually I agree with them on mostly all shows, but how can a professional critic not see the brilliance behind this series. It's witty, well written, hilarious without trying to be, and the acting is great. Hands down one of the best new series on TV!
  10. Jun 24, 2012
    If you have HBO, I recommend you check out this show. Overall it does a great job at poking fun at American politics and current events throughout the show, especially in the beginning. The first episode's plot takes a while to develop, especially with the characters, but halfway through the episode it really picks up. I'm curious to see how the character's relationships with each other develops further as the season progresses as I can see things go into any direction.

Overall I enjoyed the first episode and will continue watching it every week. I think the reason some of the reviews are mixed as they poke fun at each political side, and most journalists seem very slanted towards one side to another that they can't handle any criticism towards their beliefs. Ignore smug journalist's reviews like the New Yorker and check it out for yourself and form your own opinion.
  11. Sep 17, 2012
    Having watched 9 episodes I have to downgrade my previous score of 7 to a 4. Episode 9 contained so many sanctimonious, cringeworthy moments I feel a little bit dirty watching this show.

The fact that Geoff Daniels rises above the mediocrity of the rest of the cast and the continually inconsistent standard of the dialogue he is given to deliver such a stellar performance is incredible.
  12. Jun 25, 2012
    I really don't understand why this show is getting so much bad press. It has some of the best writing i have seen on television in a long time. The pilot episode is over an hour long and yet it seemed so short because the pacing of the show is impeccable. The characters are well acted and have been left room to grow as the show goes on. I see this show only getting better. If you think this show is off to a rocky start, I beg you to stick with it. The writing, the production value, the acting, and the relevant plot are somethings that will keep me invested in The Newsroom. Two thumbs up HBO and Aaron Sorkin! Expand
  13. Jun 25, 2012
    It is almost ridiculous how many bad reviews this show is getting. It not only has great writing, but the pacing of the show is phenomenal. While it may be more favorable to a specific political demographic, it is ludicrous for anybody to discredit its quality because they might not agree with the concepts presented in the show. Doing so simply shows ignorants and an inability to view something objectively. This show is a spectacular period piece and presents some great commentary on America's news and media systems. Expand
  14. Jul 3, 2012
    Sorry but I have to agree with the critics on this one, the show just isn't very good.

I started watching, predisposed to liking this series, based on the coming attractions and the fact that most HBO original series are generally pretty good. But try as I might, I couldn't get over all the self-righteous speeches, overly obvious plot devices, and manipulative audience-pleasing
    elements.

I like all the actors, particularly Sam Waterson, but this show is just too cheesy for me. No subtlety, just a lot of over-dramatic speechifying. I started watching the second episode and not sure I'll even bother finish watching.

Sorry HBO, you can't hit a home run every time.
  15. Jun 26, 2012
    Honestly, the critics have simply got this WRONG. I have not enjoyed a pilot more since seeing the opening episode of The Sopranos. Aaron Sorkin is a great stylistic writer, and his TV shows are always bright and interesting. This show pushes it further though, it felt more humorous, more human, and overall just unbelievably engaging.

People need to watch this and continue rating it to
    where it truly deserve to be, which is one of the best new shows to come out in years.

Just like with Rubicon the critics are 100% wrong, but hopefully unlike Rubicon, they wont harm the ratings too much and shorten this show's lifespan. I know I have only seen one episode, but I'm desperate to see this show run for years. Luckily i'm sure HBO will be a little kinder to Aaron Sorkin, so a "Studio 60" wont happen to this beautiful piece of art.
  16. Aug 15, 2012
    Great show! It makes you think and draws you with its topics of modern news events. I still find myself laughing a lot during each episode though, so it is not too serious that it gets boring.
  17. Jun 30, 2012
    As someone else in another review mentioned, this is a show written for dumb people to feel smart. There is one great flaw in this show, and that's that I just do not find it believable that this squad of goofballs could have possibly broken the BP story, yet the way this episode is written they crack the story in one news show in it's entirety! It's incredibly ridiculous. Within 10 minutes I knew i wouldn't be tuning in again, but i stuck it out to the end of the episode. And that will be all that i watch. Sorry Mr. Sorkin, this is your second strike with me after "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"... Sorkin is obviously a bright guy, but he's not AS bright as he thinks.... Expand
  18. Jun 26, 2012
    "People choose the FACTS they want now!"

So true. And this is the scary part about "news" organizations like Faux (Fox) News in our society. Who spend more time stoking the fire, witchhunting, race baiting, and playing to the worst fears and stereotypes in American culture to an audience who needs it to feel "comfortable". People can turn on that station and hear EXACTLY what
    they want to hear to justify their tired positions and prejudice ideals. Preaching to the choir is destroying this country. The real question is: if given the opportunity to watch a real good INFORMATIVE news program will the UNIFORMED Americans who NEED to be hearing it even watch it?

That's the million dollar question.

This show is absolutely brilliant. The writing is first class. The dialogue is rapid fire and ingenious. It moves fast but carries so much weight at the same time. And the use of real events can make for some surreally powerful moments down the line if done right. I cannot wait to see how this beauty of a show unfolds.

Ignore the critics who work for publications and corporations who are making a sh!tload of money by being guilty of EXACTLY what this show is calling out: sensationalized media propaganda. It's about damn time someone stood and said something. About damn time. Sorkin is a ray of hope. He knows as Mackenzie put it to Will, "we can do better".
  19. Jun 27, 2012
    Amazing pilot. Great acting, and the show is telling more truth than most news outlets, which is pretty sad considering it's a work of fiction. Really amazing how so many "professional" critics that work within the press are reviewing it negatively. Must have touched a sore spot.
  20. Jun 25, 2012
    Being a conservative, I thought that the politics of the show were very annoying, and not neutral as people claim. However, like most HBO shows, it was brilliantly written and Aaron Sorkin's fast paced dialogue was certainly entertaining. Even with the political bias, which will be frustrating unless you are a liberal, the show is well worth watching and I expect to continue enjoying the show for the rest of the season. Expand
  21. Jun 26, 2012
    Only seeing the first episode, I am very fulfilled with this show. I found the whole episode to be riveting. I just love the mixture of politics and journalism and being a student of journalism I find almost every aspect of it fascinating. A+++
  22. Jun 29, 2012
    The opening sequence in which McEvoy (Jeff Daniels) reveals his dismay about the state of modern American was the most stirring opening monologue for any television show in recent memory. The rest of the episode dwelt too long on a dysfunctional boy-girl relationship between two staffers and the willingness of McEvoy to sacrifice millions of dollars in salary to get the right to fire his newly-hired executive producer. In addition, Sorkin should recognize that comedy isn't his strong suit and refrain from the urge to inject comedic elements that don't work (as demonstrated painfully in the failed series "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"). Nevertheless, the show compares favorably with the BBC's "The Hour", but is more relevant for contemporary America. Expand
  23. Jun 29, 2012
    Once again, Sorkin proves smarter than his critics.
    Fortunately HBO lets him play to a smarter audience.
    Unlike Studio 60, The Newsroom's setting allows plenty of twists and turns to justify his frenetic pace.
    I look forward to many enjoyable, taughtly written episodes!
  24. Jun 29, 2012
    That Wall Street Journal review was an embarrassment and probably reflects the political leanings of Rupert Murdock more than an honest assessment of the show (which was brilliant by the way).
  25. Jun 24, 2012
    It has an obvious political slant, yes, but put that to the side, and HBO's The Newsroom is witty, well-written, and insanely entertaining, filled with outstanding performances (Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer are AWESOME, Alison Pill is great, and John Gallagher Jr. is really good).
  26. Jun 25, 2012
    Fantastic first episode. smart TV is back. Neither left, nor right but trying to present as boldly as possible the insanity that is a 24 hour news cycle and the often non existent fine line between idealism and the world that isn't interested. "People choose their own FACTS!" cries Jeff Daniels in frustration while arguing the value of remaining employed with his new producer. Sam Waterson is giving the preformance of a lifetime as the elder statesman of the news, a man who's seen everything from Edward R Murrow, to glenn beck. This is the show to watch, thanks for giving us compelling arguments again! Expand
  27. Jun 25, 2012
    I am surprised at the flack the show is getting from critics. I have enjoyed Sorkin in the past and was keeping an eye on the show but I was by no means desperate for it to succeed. After seeing the critic reviews I felt it was a shame that the show was apparently not very strong but after watching it for myself, all I can say is watch it for yourself and make your own decision because I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. It's very West Wing but with an angrier tone. Instead of having a nice charming lead like the West Wing we have a cynical and crumbling man. I hope that this cynicism won't take the enjoyment out of the show in the long run but so far it has been handled well.

I found the rest of the staff dynamic actually the most enjoyable aspect and more relatable than previous Sorkin shows. There appears to be more sympathy and heart from what I've seen and I hope this continues to develop.
  28. Jun 26, 2012
    I went into this show with no knowledge of it whatsoever and I'm glad. I thought it was great and has plenty of potential for future shows. I liked the characters and the acting.

I will definitely be watching again.
  29. Nov 20, 2012
    As the most over-hyped TV show of the year everyone has heard about it and after watching the pilot episode, making it through to the next is a massive feat. It consistently fails to meet the high expectations that it demanded. It chokes on its own sarcasm. The characters have no emotional levels - they are essentially the same person played by different actors and each actor tries playing the characters different but it ends up looking like they are talking to themselves in the mirror. Sorkin may be the golden boy of writing but not this time. The world that Sorkin portrays is unrealistic and deeply flawed. He tries to display a newsroom as it should be where everyone has the same knowledge and education making the audience think they are half-witted in comparison. It is an infuriating disaster and one that can only be tolerated by the die-hard Sorkin fanboys only. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.