• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.4

1. Jun 25, 2012
    Wasn't expecting much when I checked out this one, but I couldn't have been more wrong, as out just clicked. The Newsroom is intelligent AND inspiring, with excellent writing. :) And here I thought they don't make shows like this anymore these days...
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    "People choose the FACTS they want now!"

"People choose the FACTS they want now!"

So true. And this is the scary part about "news" organizations like Faux (Fox) News in our society. Who spend more time stoking the fire, witchhunting, race baiting, and playing to the worst fears and stereotypes in American culture to an audience who needs it to feel "comfortable". People can turn on that station and hear EXACTLY what they want to hear to justify their tired positions and prejudice ideals. Preaching to the choir is destroying this country. The real question is: if given the opportunity to watch a real good INFORMATIVE news program will the UNIFORMED Americans who NEED to be hearing it even watch it?

That's the million dollar question.

This show is absolutely brilliant. The writing is first class. The dialogue is rapid fire and ingenious. It moves fast but carries so much weight at the same time. And the use of real events can make for some surreally powerful moments down the line if done right. I cannot wait to see how this beauty of a show unfolds.

Ignore the critics who work for publications and corporations who are making a sh!tload of money by being guilty of EXACTLY what this show is calling out: sensationalized media propaganda. It's about damn time someone stood and said something. About damn time. Sorkin is a ray of hope. He knows as Mackenzie put it to Will, "we can do better".
  3. Jun 24, 2012
    It has an obvious political slant, yes, but put that to the side, and HBO's The Newsroom is witty, well-written, and insanely entertaining, filled with outstanding performances (Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer are AWESOME, Alison Pill is great, and John Gallagher Jr. is really good).
  4. Aug 1, 2013
    I can't believe some of the critics are being so silly about this. This is just about the best show on tv over the past few years. Not that I would expect anything less from Aaron Sorkin, but he really nailed it this time...
  5. Aug 27, 2012
    Fantastic show covering the flaws of media and politics whilst still presenting that beautiful hope that we can do better. Characters and dialogue are exactly what you expect from Sorkin and for those who don't like it, chances are it's because you don't get it.
  6. Sep 13, 2012
    A great show (in it's own right) with some very important ideas. The greatest thing the United Sates has going for it as a country is the independence of it journalism. It's the check and balance of your government. As a Canadian, I've been watching with fear and horror as your fourth estate has been eroded by corporatization of the independent stations and more and more control by largeA great show (in it's own right) with some very important ideas. The greatest thing the United Sates has going for it as a country is the independence of it journalism. It's the check and balance of your government. As a Canadian, I've been watching with fear and horror as your fourth estate has been eroded by corporatization of the independent stations and more and more control by large business. The Newsroom attempts to show this and I hope it's voice isn't drowned out by the very group it's calling to task. Expand
  7. Jul 1, 2012
    This show is one of the best on tv right now. Loved the dialog and the idealism -- makes me really miss the days when the news was actually the news and not the endless crap about things that don't matter that we have to put up with now unless we watch PBS. Would love to be able to post his bit about America in the opening sequence -- it is the truth. It's smart and funny and I'm lookingThis show is one of the best on tv right now. Loved the dialog and the idealism -- makes me really miss the days when the news was actually the news and not the endless crap about things that don't matter that we have to put up with now unless we watch PBS. Would love to be able to post his bit about America in the opening sequence -- it is the truth. It's smart and funny and I'm looking forward to the next nine episodes. Expand
  8. Jul 22, 2012
    Best show since the West Wing, if you likes Studio 60 and TWW, you'll adore his. Sharp dialogue, "speaking truth to stupid" is wonderful, great script, VERY funny, so far awesome story lines... loving it. And Ep.4 overtook Ep.1 as ny new favourite, if that was possible.
  9. Jun 27, 2012
    Amazing pilot. Great acting, and the show is telling more truth than most news outlets, which is pretty sad considering it's a work of fiction. Really amazing how so many "professional" critics that work within the press are reviewing it negatively. Must have touched a sore spot.
  10. Jul 29, 2012
    Don't listen to the critics on this one. Its painfully obvious that the low average score--if you read the bad reviews--is due to the industry not taking to criticism of itself very well, and criticism of the news industry is this show's bread and butter. The dialogue between characters is whip smart and funny, and the pacing of the series as a whole (so far) is excellent.
  11. Jul 27, 2012
    Yes it's got its flaws... The actors took a little while to settle in to their roles but this show is excellent. Gripping, lots of human interest stuff whilst making important points about the facile nature of our celebrity culture, the lack of plurality in our news providers and the conflict of interests between news providers and the corporations whose advertisements pay for them toYes it's got its flaws... The actors took a little while to settle in to their roles but this show is excellent. Gripping, lots of human interest stuff whilst making important points about the facile nature of our celebrity culture, the lack of plurality in our news providers and the conflict of interests between news providers and the corporations whose advertisements pay for them to exist in the first place. Definitely worth a look... Expand
  12. Jul 2, 2012
    What is wrong with the critics!?! Usually I agree with them on mostly all shows, but how can a professional critic not see the brilliance behind this series. It's witty, well written, hilarious without trying to be, and the acting is great. Hands down one of the best new series on TV!
  13. Mar 12, 2013
    If you can keep up with Sorkin, you'll love this. If you don't like Sorkin's style, you'll hate this. The show has all the Sorkinisms: rapid dialogue, conversations while walking down hallways, characters who are quick to give impassioned monologues, and probably other ones I can't think of right now. Personally, I love it.
  14. hbo
    Jun 24, 2012
    This could be the best show I have seen in a long long time. A lot of the critics reviews make me angry, they have to remember that it's a television show and to stop taking it so personally. I applaud HBO for sticking with Aaron Sorkin to make this happen. Television is supposed to be entertaining, if it was supposed to be real, we'd just be watching CNBC or CNN. Be sure to watch andThis could be the best show I have seen in a long long time. A lot of the critics reviews make me angry, they have to remember that it's a television show and to stop taking it so personally. I applaud HBO for sticking with Aaron Sorkin to make this happen. Television is supposed to be entertaining, if it was supposed to be real, we'd just be watching CNBC or CNN. Be sure to watch and judge this amazing show on your own, not from the eyes of a journalist that is comparing it to their own life and work. I can't wait for this season to unfold! Expand
  15. Aug 1, 2012
    It is sad that people watch one or two episodes and think they can understand the true dynamic of a show. Newsroom is an ever-changing, intelligent show about events that have been important to America in the past few years. As a show the acting, directing, and camera work is incredible. The characters are all so relate able and interesting. It's a must see and you have to give it moreIt is sad that people watch one or two episodes and think they can understand the true dynamic of a show. Newsroom is an ever-changing, intelligent show about events that have been important to America in the past few years. As a show the acting, directing, and camera work is incredible. The characters are all so relate able and interesting. It's a must see and you have to give it more than just two episodes. One of the best shows on TV right now! Expand
  16. Aug 6, 2012
    Really not sure where all the critics are coming from about this show, from where I sit this is the best drama on television. HBO delivers pure gold once again, honestly at this point I rarely ever watch anything that isn't on HBO.

I just wish Will McAvoy was a real person with a real news show, because America really could use a f*cking lawyer right now.
  17. Jun 26, 2012
    This programme is brilliant it really is already it
  18. AKH
    Jul 31, 2012
    Incredible show. One of the best that I have seen for a very long time. The fact that they are using real events as a backdrop to the show is a stroke of genius. If you want to see a brilliantly written show, with characters that you can invest in, then look no further.
  19. Sep 6, 2012
    This has got to be my favourite new show of the past three years at least. A great cast fronted by the brilliant Jeff Daniels, who does not get enough work for my liking, and the imperious Emily Mortimer supplement well-founded story lines that allow us to see some of the ongoings behind the screen. So what if it is glorified? If it wasn't, I highly doubt every episode would be entertaining.
  20. Jun 25, 2012
    Before the show was released, I had seen many trailers that excited me to no end and after watching the first episode, it did not disappoint. The fast paced dialogue and witty writing of Sorkin makes the show very enjoyable. Almost all the reviews I have seen for this show have been negative but I thought it was brilliant with great casting and excellent writing.
  21. Jun 25, 2012
    This show was absolutely excellent in the pilot episode. The critics out there making the start of this show look so grim are the people this show is trying to put down. Definitely recommend others to see this, it is very entertaining, intelligent, and witty. Just what I was looking for in a show, and I'm glad HBO is brought it.
  22. Jun 25, 2012
    I am surprised at the flack the show is getting from critics. I have enjoyed Sorkin in the past and was keeping an eye on the show but I was by no means desperate for it to succeed. After seeing the critic reviews I felt it was a shame that the show was apparently not very strong but after watching it for myself, all I can say is watch it for yourself and make your own decision because II am surprised at the flack the show is getting from critics. I have enjoyed Sorkin in the past and was keeping an eye on the show but I was by no means desperate for it to succeed. After seeing the critic reviews I felt it was a shame that the show was apparently not very strong but after watching it for myself, all I can say is watch it for yourself and make your own decision because I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. It's very West Wing but with an angrier tone. Instead of having a nice charming lead like the West Wing we have a cynical and crumbling man. I hope that this cynicism won't take the enjoyment out of the show in the long run but so far it has been handled well.

I found the rest of the staff dynamic actually the most enjoyable aspect and more relatable than previous Sorkin shows. There appears to be more sympathy and heart from what I've seen and I hope this continues to develop.
  23. Jun 25, 2012
    It is almost ridiculous how many bad reviews this show is getting. It not only has great writing, but the pacing of the show is phenomenal. While it may be more favorable to a specific political demographic, it is ludicrous for anybody to discredit its quality because they might not agree with the concepts presented in the show. Doing so simply shows ignorants and an inability to viewIt is almost ridiculous how many bad reviews this show is getting. It not only has great writing, but the pacing of the show is phenomenal. While it may be more favorable to a specific political demographic, it is ludicrous for anybody to discredit its quality because they might not agree with the concepts presented in the show. Doing so simply shows ignorants and an inability to view something objectively. This show is a spectacular period piece and presents some great commentary on America's news and media systems. Expand
  24. Jun 25, 2012
    Absolutely wonderful. If you're an old school Aaron Sorkin fan (Sports Night, The West Wing) or a more modern fan (The Social Network) - you're going to absolutely love this show. I love the West Wing and this show definitely has the feel of the West Wing. Those of you who have watched Studio 60 - I really feel like The Newsroom is a hybrid between Studio 60 and The West Wing. ThereAbsolutely wonderful. If you're an old school Aaron Sorkin fan (Sports Night, The West Wing) or a more modern fan (The Social Network) - you're going to absolutely love this show. I love the West Wing and this show definitely has the feel of the West Wing. Those of you who have watched Studio 60 - I really feel like The Newsroom is a hybrid between Studio 60 and The West Wing. There are a lot of negative reviews out there and I'll say this - I think this show needs room to grow and develop. Also - I'm of the belief that critics don't have an everyday person's eye for things. They're job is to be critical. Ours are just to enjoy. Aaron Sorkin's job is to entertain you for 40+ minutes. I think he gets it done in The Newsroom. Expand
  25. Jun 26, 2012
    Honestly, the critics have simply got this WRONG. I have not enjoyed a pilot more since seeing the opening episode of The Sopranos. Aaron Sorkin is a great stylistic writer, and his TV shows are always bright and interesting. This show pushes it further though, it felt more humorous, more human, and overall just unbelievably engaging.

People need to watch this and continue rating it to

People need to watch this and continue rating it to where it truly deserve to be, which is one of the best new shows to come out in years.

Just like with Rubicon the critics are 100% wrong, but hopefully unlike Rubicon, they wont harm the ratings too much and shorten this show's lifespan. I know I have only seen one episode, but I'm desperate to see this show run for years. Luckily i'm sure HBO will be a little kinder to Aaron Sorkin, so a "Studio 60" wont happen to this beautiful piece of art.
  26. Dec 23, 2012
    Totalt honesty: After watching the complete first season, I'm very disappointed in critics and the media for rating it so low. This show has a stellar cast that give incredible performances. The writing is totally brilliant, we all know how great Aaron Sorkin is. The show's humor is good, makes you laugh and gets you in the light mood. The pace of every single episode is proper andTotalt honesty: After watching the complete first season, I'm very disappointed in critics and the media for rating it so low. This show has a stellar cast that give incredible performances. The writing is totally brilliant, we all know how great Aaron Sorkin is. The show's humor is good, makes you laugh and gets you in the light mood. The pace of every single episode is proper and downright perfect at times. The intensity of the critical situations has been dramatized wonderfully. This is television, I don't know why people keep reviewing it on the basis of realistic point of views. I don't know how real world journalism works, neither do I give a damn about it. All I care about is that this show is thought-provoking and entertaining at the same time. And if you have a problem with that and you want it to be just like the real world reporting, then just go and watch the real world reporting like CNN or Fox. Expand
  27. Jun 26, 2012
    Only seeing the first episode, I am very fulfilled with this show. I found the whole episode to be riveting. I just love the mixture of politics and journalism and being a student of journalism I find almost every aspect of it fascinating. A+++
  28. Jul 2, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin proved once more that he can create great TV shows like hardly anyone else. I loved Sports Night and West Wing from the first episode I've seen and The Newsroom is no way different. With so many crap shows around it's great to see Mr. Sorkins work back on screen. Similar to West Wing not everyone may like the (political) opinions of the characters, but it's a TV show and asAaron Sorkin proved once more that he can create great TV shows like hardly anyone else. I loved Sports Night and West Wing from the first episode I've seen and The Newsroom is no way different. With so many crap shows around it's great to see Mr. Sorkins work back on screen. Similar to West Wing not everyone may like the (political) opinions of the characters, but it's a TV show and as such it has everything a great show needs. A great concept, wonderful scripts and amazing actors. When an episode ends I already start to wait for the next one. It never stops being fun to watch. Thanks to Aaron Sorkin and anyone else involved with providing this show. Expand
  29. Jul 2, 2012
    Great show. HBO consistently produces some of the best TV. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written/acted and, yes, not perfect. The pilot set the bar so high that ep. 2 was bound to pale a bit by comparison. On the other hand, it had a procedural feeling I enjoyed -- like Newsroom's world was still congealing; finding its rhythm or whatever. You can find plenty to criticize. McAvoy might beGreat show. HBO consistently produces some of the best TV. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written/acted and, yes, not perfect. The pilot set the bar so high that ep. 2 was bound to pale a bit by comparison. On the other hand, it had a procedural feeling I enjoyed -- like Newsroom's world was still congealing; finding its rhythm or whatever. You can find plenty to criticize. McAvoy might be a slightly more believable Republican if he stopped behaving like a 3D person. And Allison Pill might've served her character better in ep. 2 if she'd delivered her lines deadpan as opposed to Full Screech. And Mortimer (who kicks butt) might be a happier actress if her character didn't fall into the goofiest technotraps of the pre-Cambrian era: 2002. Then again, if you scrutinize anything too hard (and this show has received more scrutiny than any other in recent memory, which is kind of bizarre) it's going to seem like a failure. We could also whine about the way dragons really strain credulity in Game of Thrones. To say nothing of those Nordic zombies, who make it tough to suspend your disbelief, huh? Let's not forget the more conventional zombies of Walking Dead: hey, that's not an accurate portrayal of Atlanta! Or how Breaking Bad's Walter White's literally unbelievable luck passes understanding 9 times out of 10. Or how Mad Men's period-piece misogyny really offends us as it's not nice to not be nice All. The. Time. And the Sopranos. Were we really supposed to put up with six seasons of James Gandolfini's character's twee pop-psych issues? Yes. BECAUSE IT'S TV. It would take far more than 5000 characters to really unpack this, so just watch the show. You won't regret it. And it'll be readily apparent why viewers universally love Newsroom while critics wring their hands over the way characters don't rely on Twitter for leads -- how unrealistic! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.