The Night Shift : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: May 27, 2014
Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.8

1. Jun 19, 2014
    Lame, lame, lame. This is a weak very poorly written one hour situation comedy posing as a medical show. The acting is generally poor. I give one exception to the guy who plays Dr. Topher. His lines aren't much, but he is a demonstrably good actor. Without going on at length about this incredible waste of time, I must comment on how scary it would be to be a patient in this EmergencyLame, lame, lame. This is a weak very poorly written one hour situation comedy posing as a medical show. The acting is generally poor. I give one exception to the guy who plays Dr. Topher. His lines aren't much, but he is a demonstrably good actor. Without going on at length about this incredible waste of time, I must comment on how scary it would be to be a patient in this Emergency Room where the doctors and staff are whooping it up in their parking lot party place or delivering pseudo funny lines in the hallways.

This week there was a scene of a totally full waiting room with the hospital administrator dancing around under the accidental influence of Ecstasy. What did his "staff" do about this? They gathered outside of the waiting room, toking cell phone pictures and just laughing and laughing. I'm glad someone is having a good time at this hospital. I'm with the long-suffering patients.
  2. Jun 30, 2014
    Lame Grey's rip off with no relationship to how doctors really behave. Truly stupid. This is a close cousin to Rookie Blue, another pandering show desperately seeking the 18-49 eyeballs.
  3. Aug 3, 2014
    I'll start off by saying that I am a medical student, and this is by far the worst medical show I've ever seen. Yes, even worse than Grey's Anatomy. I've seen 4 episodes, and can't stomach any more. In just the last episode, they used 3 cliche'd plotlines (disaster at the hospital, power goes out, and a doctor's wife needs medical help and he has to get to her). They horribly mispronouncedI'll start off by saying that I am a medical student, and this is by far the worst medical show I've ever seen. Yes, even worse than Grey's Anatomy. I've seen 4 episodes, and can't stomach any more. In just the last episode, they used 3 cliche'd plotlines (disaster at the hospital, power goes out, and a doctor's wife needs medical help and he has to get to her). They horribly mispronounced very routine medical terms, like metoprolol and troponin. And the chest compressions done during the show would actually kill the patient. I mean, it didn't even look remotely right. And all of this was from just one episode. The others were just as bad. It's very clear that there is absolutely nobody with any amount of medical knowledge involved in any step of this show's production.
    Setting aside the poor, poor representation of medicine, the show is also bad as a tv show. Plotlines intersect without rhyme or reason, characters frequently break character without explanation, and the show works way too hard to appear busy. Much of the show feels forced, and it seems like even the actors can't get behind the absurdity of what they're asked to do. The single bright spot of this entire show is Dr. Topher, who tries desperately to bring some life into this horrible show. Sadly, it is not nearly enough. Do yourself a favor and watch one of the other, much superior medical shows out. House for the clever dialogue and cases, or Scrubs, which is by far the most true-to-life. At least Scrubs was intentionally funny, unlike this joke of a tv show.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 30, 2014
    Shift is competent but useful mostly as a reminder to stay healthy at all costs and avoid this sort of place. [9 Jun 2014, p.34]
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    May 27, 2014
    The cast here is decent, especially Flint and Rodriguez, but the writing is unforgivably bad.
  3. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    May 27, 2014
    The action may be as fast and persistent as a gurney on the way to an operating theater, but nothing can hide the wobbly scripting and weak characters it’s all riding on