The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 23, 2008
8.8

1. GwenL
    Apr 6, 2009
    Glorious! Botswana is amazing and so is the acting. I'm a fan and will not miss a single episode. I do hope this show continues for a long time.
  2. JenniferC
    Apr 4, 2009
    The movie is fluid, delightful, smart, funny, kind and perfectly acted. That it's filmed in Botswana is wonderful, too.
  3. LindaS
    May 10, 2009
    Yes..it's the best thing on Sunday night.
  4. winifredm
    Apr 1, 2009
    Adorable! I am hooked and already saddened by the news that there will only be a "limited" number of episodes.
  5. KathyS
    Apr 30, 2009
    Captures both books and Botswana perfectly! Great characters, music and sets!
  6. willieC
    May 1, 2009
    I have fell in love with this show from the first episode. Even my mother loves the show. She has seem each episode several times and she rarely watches a show more than once. The characters are easy to fall in love with. It a feel good show. More entertaining then what tv is offering. Look forward to seeing more
  7. TammyM.
    May 4, 2009
    Love this show, the characters are warm, funny and interesting. Jill Scott is great. I can't belive next week is the finale - can't wait for more eps.
  8. MarshaR
    May 5, 2009
    love the books, was worried about moving my "Botswana family" to screen, everyone acting in the series works perfectly with my imaginary charaters! Just read the latest book, was worried it wouldn't be the same now that I have voices and faces for my "Botswana family", but it all worked out nicely! The No. 1 Ladies Decetive Agency in Gabaronne Botswana is my happy place...
  9. meganh
    May 5, 2009
    I love this show!
  10. SandyS.
    Jul 28, 2009
    I absolutely loved this show and looked forward to watching each wk..please continue the series.
  11. MarthaW
    Mar 31, 2009
    Absolutely charming! Looking forward to more.
  12. JaniceB
    Apr 10, 2009
    Really like this show. It's great to see more of African scenery and culture. Jill Scott is delightful and has a great smile.
  13. SethO.
    Apr 14, 2009
    Delightful adaptation of the series of novels. Detective stories aren't my usual fare, but these aren't your typical detective stories.
  14. KarlD
    Apr 20, 2009
    While this series lacks the edginess of "The Wire" and "The Sopranos" (two of my favorite HBO series), I have enjoyed the simplicity of the stories, the beauty of the setting, and the outstanding portrayals by the actors involved.
  15. sylviec
    Apr 23, 2009
    Brilliant serie. Can't wait to see the rest of the books come alive.
  16. meganh
    Apr 25, 2009
    I love this show!
  17. ChristopherC
    Apr 6, 2009
    A truly beautiful view of another culture. The characters, including the new hairdresser, are delightfully fleshed out, and the slight changes in characters from the books seem well thought out and convincing. The main cast members are very good, as are most of the minor ones. This is a character-driven series, the pace is thoughtfully slow, and the various settings are well chosen and A truly beautiful view of another culture. The characters, including the new hairdresser, are delightfully fleshed out, and the slight changes in characters from the books seem well thought out and convincing. The main cast members are very good, as are most of the minor ones. This is a character-driven series, the pace is thoughtfully slow, and the various settings are well chosen and gloriously filmed. It is not an action-adventure series and should not try to be one. This is the first time I've looked forward to watching tv on a Sunday evening in a long time. Collapse
  18. AliceB
    Apr 7, 2009
    A refreshingly light and enjoyable series taking us to another continent.
  19. MarieD
    May 11, 2009
    I've loved the books and I have loved the show. I was wondering if they will make more shows since there are 10 books.
  20. helenw
    May 18, 2009
    The best show of the 2009 season. It is a delight in every way...story, acting, setting..we need more material of this caliber. One of the few adaptations that equals the original novels.
  21. SB
    May 19, 2009
    It's great!!!
  22. MichelleD
    May 23, 2009
    Please bring it backi! We love it!
  23. jayme
    Mar 31, 2009
    This is a really good show and different from whats on television recently, it's very feel good, with really wonderful acting.
  24. CarolN.
    Apr 12, 2009
    Jill Scott is radiantly beautiful in the role of Precious. The show is a warm, loving view of Botswana, too.
  25. pattir
    Apr 22, 2009
    After watching the pilot I must say I was intriqued. By the first episode slightly infatuated. By the fourth episode, I am "head over heels" for Precious, the entire cast including the people, music and animals of Botswana.
  26. rgdgg
    May 23, 2009
    We look forward to this show. It is fun, family entertainment and its setting in Botswana is unique and adds immensly to the appeal of the show. We have watched all episodes and hope the series on HBO will be continued
  27. Apr 27, 2012
    Just watched the feature length Pilot on DVD. Pleasantly surprised, delighted by the story-line, appreciated the music, humor & good casting/acting. Look forward to watching the full 1st season, and already hope there'll be MORE.

The pilot, while offering ample opportunity for the director to indulge in painting the grand, international tableaus that characterized his operatic feature epics, also exposes his tendency toward easy retreat into no-impact treacle when confronted with a culture not easily penetrated, even by an enthusiastic tourist.
  2. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    This doesn't feel mindless, just unmindful, and the best way to honor its late creators is to look away from it.
    This is as good an adaptation as any Ladies lover could wish, one that overflows with the joys of life and exudes an all-embracing spirit. Be ready to be beguiled.