The Normal Heart

• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: May 25, 2014
7.9

1. Jun 5, 2014
    I've never rated anything online, ever. I am a SAG and an AFTRA member. Both for over 20 years. I only took the time to create an account to be honest: this is "Diet Milk". The basis makes me want to say nicer things. But I've watched people die of AIDS. (Most of) The actors are wonderful. The story has been done, better and closer to the time of impact.
  2. May 26, 2014
    Let's be clear, the story of the inaction of the government during the AIDS crisis needs to be told. I am a gay man and I loved this play when I saw it on stage. However, the acting in this adaption is incredibly sub-par. I couldn't take it within 10 minutes of starting to watch. The supporting characters were alright but the actor that represented Larry Kramer (the male lead)Let's be clear, the story of the inaction of the government during the AIDS crisis needs to be told. I am a gay man and I loved this play when I saw it on stage. However, the acting in this adaption is incredibly sub-par. I couldn't take it within 10 minutes of starting to watch. The supporting characters were alright but the actor that represented Larry Kramer (the male lead) delivered each line in a horrible monotone. Everytime he spoke I rolled my eyes and mocked his delivery. Julia Roberts was just as bad. I gave it a 1 as I'm sure many were unaware of this history (I lived through it) Expand
  3. Jun 21, 2014
    Despite some good performances from Roberts, Ruffalo and Matt B... the movie falls flat. Yes - it's extremely emotional given the subject matter... and the cause in the fight against aids... so as a political and social statement for the gay community it succeeds, but as a film, it just doesn't jive. There's no real story arc here; we are too detached from some of the characters to feelDespite some good performances from Roberts, Ruffalo and Matt B... the movie falls flat. Yes - it's extremely emotional given the subject matter... and the cause in the fight against aids... so as a political and social statement for the gay community it succeeds, but as a film, it just doesn't jive. There's no real story arc here; we are too detached from some of the characters to feel anything; and ruffallo's charcter (larry kramer) is just too much of an angry fanatic to like. He alienates the members of GMHC, and he sort of alienated me from this film. Again, kudos to Murphy who did a great job with the material, to the cast (except for Taylor k) who did a great job, and to Pitt/Kramer for getting the film made! I think Philadelphia did a much better job at telling the story of the aids crisis - it gave us characters we could relate to and fall in love with... and the story had a place to go. Normal Heart fails in that respect - big time. Expand
  4. May 31, 2014
    Medicore movie fell asleep through half of it, it has a target audience obviously and it will get good reviews based on being a gay movie, but if you took the gay out of this, its quite amateurish and full of kitsch and cheesy acting predictable acting.

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    May 27, 2014
    Overscored and overwrought, The Normal Heart is a tough pill to swallow. The direction of Ryan Murphy (Glee) is piercingly staccato (and visually inconsistent). The tender moments don't resonate, and the fraught moments feel hysterical.
  2. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 27, 2014
    Like Behind the Candelabra, its action isn’t measured in car chases and explosions. It’s charted in the lives it touches.
    The film has poetry and vitality, too, and its greatest virtue is that it seems not to give a damn if you approve of any of its creative choices as long as you connect with it emotionally and intellectually.