• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 24, 2005
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9
7.1

1. Oct 3, 2013
    7 episodes into it. A solid handful of laughable moments but no real enjoyable episodes. The majority of the season is focused on the main characters (such as Jim and Pam) while secondary characters (like Creed) are pushed to the side. Which is sort of disappointing because what made the show so good before was the fact that it wasn't just one character that made the show, It was the entire cast. They sort of evened each other out so I never got sick of any of the characters but now that they are solely focusing on a small handful of them, I am starting to get annoyed with them just as much as I did with Steve Carell's character Michael during his last season of the show.

Also do not like how they are focusing on a main overall story instead of having it like they use to where they had the story but they also had a good handful of hilarious cut-aways to go to as well. That's what really help make the show so good and they should really bring that back.

So overall, It's been a pretty average season. It's enjoyable but no where near as good as it use to be.
  2. Jul 20, 2014
    Even though the show was beginning to feel stale in the last few seasons, the writers managed to make things feel fresh again in this final season. These episodes made me laugh at this show harder than I had in a long time and there's an overall sweet tone as it nears it's conclusion. The only thing out of place are the Andy plot-lines. They really took a previously enjoyable character and drug him through the mud.

In the previous seasons hew was a goofy but charming character who always tried to do right by managing the company. In this season they portrayed him as a complete jerk and a moron who almost destroyed the company. It's bizarrely out of character.

Still even with it's stumbles this is one of the best seasons of "The Office." They really ended the series on both a high and sweet note. It'll make you laugh and maybe even cry. Even if you found the last few season before this one to be lacking I believe you'll notice the return to form. My total score for the 9th season is a 9.1/10=Amazing.
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    After having a disappointing 8th season, the show finally shows us that they can be funny without Carrel. The show also knows how to have its final season. The performances of Helms, Tate, and Kemper, that were disappointing last season (especially Helms) are know the three funniest characters on the show. I think it was a good move having series creator Greg Daniels be showrunner this season bringing the show back to its roots. Collapse
  4. Sep 21, 2013
    Season 9 comes after the weakest season of The Office and it is a big improvement. The new characters are given room to improve, especially Nellie, whose character and character arc in the 8th season was annoying and preposterous, respectively, becomes much more sympathetic. The cast remains strong, and the Finale is one of the best episode this fine series has given us. The only consistent weakness of the final season is Andy Bernard. The writers didn't know what to do with him this season and his scenes were mostly cringe-worthy and he was annoying entirely without being endearing. 7.7/10 Expand
  5. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While this season did what it was done to do I noticed that something happened. What ever happened to the character development. The writing was witty and sharp but I still could not get used to Steve Carrell being gone. But the visual direction and the moods I were able to feel but sometimes some of the shots took me out of the mood. The creativity is overall cool but I will have to say it did make me want to say farewell to Dunder-Mifflin. Expand
  6. Oct 4, 2012
    I had to come back and say do not watch this season of the office. It is terrible. If you want to watch the office, watch the first seven seasons excluding the last four episodes. That is the office I grew to love. Not this crap they are putting out now. I thought the writers knew they had screwed the pooch in season 8, but somehow it got even worse.
  7. Feb 7, 2013
    They really should have ended it with season 7. It's not unbearable, but it's just tough to watch what's there while wondering what could have been. I've missed Michael's presence more than ever in the last few episodes, the characters we used to love have become uninteresting. Still, I'll keep faith and watch until the last episode, hoping it ends on a high note.
  8. Nov 24, 2012
    The first couple seasons are really great. But after steve carrel left the show became a money grab trash show. It literally died and became one of the worst shows on tv. Skip the last 2 seasons to savor the true "The Office" feeling till the end, otherwise get ready for season 8 and 9 to ruin the whole show for you.
  9. Jan 23, 2014
    Bitter sweat. Truly. The Office was always just there. Now that it's done, it's a strange, mixed feeling. Even if the last season and a half was over-optimistically unfunny, the Michael Scott glory days sustain and that final episode brought joy to my heart, but still could've used a M.S. words of wisdom speech in his office one last time.
  10. Jan 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not here to hold back.

After completing Ep 17 into Season 9 i'm about to explode. This season - Season 9 - of The Office is by far the WORST SEASON OF THE SHOW. It actually makes me sad and infuriated that the show I had come to love has been reduced to this flaming pile of garbage. I've been watching The Office since Season 1 with my girlfriend who became my fiancee and then my beautiful wife and now the mother of my son and daughter only 2 weeks away. Our tradition after a long day was to kick back right before bed and laugh our butts off to Michael Scott and the gang.

So fellow Office fans - what has gone wrong? As pointed out by some great Metacritic posters, as soon as Steve Carell left the show the essence of funny basically died. And you can see just how far the show has fallen in this final season.

If you dont mind the spoilers, i'll continue....

So for those of you who already know the show - the writing has been terrible. The jokes rely much more on physical comedy or pratfalls compared to the quick witt we know. Then there's the biggest issue for me - the characters. Its literally like the writers hadn't watch the first 6 seasons of the show. They've scripted horrible character traits that NONE of the characters would do. Examples...

* Andy. First of all making him the new branch manager was a stupid idea. His character is not strong enough to have had that responsibility. In this season when Andy is around he's an un-likeable prick. He acts like a complete azzhole to Erin and Nelly. He's vindictive and scatterbrained. Andy is all wrong.
    * Jim and Pam. The loveable couple that now doesnt communicate with each other. Jim pursing a sports job in another city while leaving Pam to raise the kids (who are also seemingly never around). Plus Jim is now unsure of himself (lacking confidence) and making dumb selfish decisions. Meanwhile Pam has become more unsure of herself and not being upfront. Oh, and I cant forget the potential marriage cheating disaster that the writers have put in with the camera operator Scott, who we've never seen before for 8 years but clearly is making a play for Pam.

And thats just the main players. But really you can look at Oscars character now being an adulterer/mimbo, or Angela who now hangs out with everyone in the break room and is buddy-buddy... Like, what the hell is going on here??!?

I told my wife and we agree - we're gonna get through these last few episodes and the throw this dung out on the street. We may keep S8 and watch it every few years if we really need a reminder of how bad The Office had become. But I can promise you we will NEVER watch Season 9 again.

Honestly, The Office was that light hearted show that made me feel good about myself (hidden reference) but its no wonder why Carell, Novak, Kaling all abandoned ship! They must've seen the iceberg and promptly jumped off the Titanic!! Cant blame them.

So as pointed out by others -do yourself a favor and stop watching The Office after Season 7. There is nothing for you after. Unless you're like me and a have to complete the show. That is literally the only reason left why i'm watching. It pains me to go episode after epoisode without laughing, watching again unlikeable characters finding themselves in ridiculous plot twist or hair brained schemes. This season reeks of desperation trying to reclaim old glory by what - bringing back old characters from seasons ago? Even though they have no real reason for their inclusion? Jan? Gabe? Is this what its come to???

Wow.... Just wow. The Office deserves so much a better ending than the one the fans were given.

/rant
  11. Dec 18, 2012
    The show has drastically improved since the dreadful meanderings of season 8. This is what the show should have been like after Carell left: funny, caring, but ultimately grounded in reality.
  12. Dec 26, 2012
    Despite the fact that Steve Carell is gone, Greg Daniels and the other writers have been able to make this a a season worth watching. It is turning out to be a pretty good season and seems to be good at closing many of the story lines and allow the characters to begin a new chapter of their lives. Hopefully Carell make an appearance sometime during this season as the finale would not be the same without him. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Sep 20, 2012
    There is exactly one interesting storyline.
  2. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Sep 20, 2012
    most importantly, The Office is generally funnier than it was last season.
  3. Reviewed by: Gail Pennington
    Sep 20, 2012
    One episode does not a season make. But the Season 9 premiere, "New Guys," is as uneven as most episodes have been for the last few years.