The Office : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 24, 2005
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
8.3

1. Dec 10, 2011
    In its first season, particularly the first few episodes, "The Office (US)" does not separate itself well from its British inspiration. However, with an episode like "Basketball" that sets up the characters so spectacularly, it's hard not to see the terrific direction the show is headed.
  2. Jan 18, 2013
    Other than the opportunity to produce longer seasons, and thus increase the potential revenue generated, I can still see very little reason for the recent obsession of remaking some many TV programme that are successful elsewhere in the world for US audiences. Attempts to recreate shows such as Life on Mars have failed completely as their creators simply don't grasp the concepts that madeOther than the opportunity to produce longer seasons, and thus increase the potential revenue generated, I can still see very little reason for the recent obsession of remaking some many TV programme that are successful elsewhere in the world for US audiences. Attempts to recreate shows such as Life on Mars have failed completely as their creators simply don't grasp the concepts that made the originals great.

I won
  3. Mar 16, 2011
    There has been an alarming falloff in humor in this once fine comedy series. Steve Carrell has ceased being funny at all and is now mostly pitiable. It's good that this will be his last year. Perhaps things will pick up next season --or perhaps the show has passed its best-before date.
  4. Aug 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This comedy series is great. I've been watching it recently from season 1 and im now in season 7. The only thing that really bothers me is the Michael- Holly relationship. I was already relieved when Holly was put out for Nashua but when she came back it got worse. First off the actress didnt fit for the role. She's not as pretty as the character supposes and she looks older not to mention her annoying voice! There was a greater chemistry between Michael and Jan Levingson. She's perfect for Michael's character. She's the real hottie in the show and this show needs one. I hate it when they take her out and when they made her insane. She needs to be back in the show and no Holly show ups anymore please!! Expand
  5. Aug 1, 2011
    The first season was a bit mixed. It was OK, but, first, Steve Carell's character was so annoying. The humor was borderline grating. But I'm glad that future seasons would improve. Watching these episodes again, my opinion hardly changes. But I, at least, decided on giving this a 6 instead of a 5.
  6. Jan 18, 2013
    In Season 1 and 2, this was an incredibly funny and sweet show, with great characters, great plot lines, great humor, great everything. Sadly, now it is in somewhat of a decline, and I find myself slogging through it, instead of enjoying it. My biggest complaints, Steve Carrell. I thought I'd never say this, but instead of being incredibly funny, and scene stealing, his character is justIn Season 1 and 2, this was an incredibly funny and sweet show, with great characters, great plot lines, great humor, great everything. Sadly, now it is in somewhat of a decline, and I find myself slogging through it, instead of enjoying it. My biggest complaints, Steve Carrell. I thought I'd never say this, but instead of being incredibly funny, and scene stealing, his character is just plain annoying. It's because now the whole bumbling idiot schtick is wearing extremely thin, and for some reason, they writers choose to focus on him more and more and the other characters, most notably Jim and Dwight, get about 5 mins to shine, which they do. However, when Michael is looming around, and the other characters have their time, the show is at it's greatest and delivers great laughs. This show was great and had potential to grow and shine even more, but sadly it is quickly fading on me. Expand
  7. Jan 25, 2016
    My Rating: (8.9/10.0)

Season 1 of the Office was the perfect way to kick off a potentially terrific show. If it follows through like the BBC version did, it will be absolutely legendary. Looking forward to seeing Seasons 2-9. Highly recommend seeing Season 1 though, if you haven't already.
  8. Jun 24, 2016
    From the creators of ’Parks and Recreation’ comes ’The Office’. This first six-episode introduction shines with embarrassing and relatable characters — but that might not bring that many laughs to the screen. The humor is good, so there’s a great foundation for even more of that! Its direction is somewhat unique, very ’Parks & Rec-ish’ but it stands on it’s own! The plot however reallyFrom the creators of ’Parks and Recreation’ comes ’The Office’. This first six-episode introduction shines with embarrassing and relatable characters — but that might not bring that many laughs to the screen. The humor is good, so there’s a great foundation for even more of that! Its direction is somewhat unique, very ’Parks & Rec-ish’ but it stands on it’s own! The plot however really needs some refreshment — it’s not that interesting (yet), it needs a big boost in energy and interest. Still; the characters are very good with much depth, splendid chemistry & actor performances. For a first six-episode season — it might not have fulfilled my expectations to a 100 %, but I have high hopes that it will in the future!

Overall personal rating for each episode: 65.3/100

Personal rating: 60/100
    Critical rating: 75/100

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Jul 1, 2013
    It's ironic that NBC's most original sitcom in years is a remake, but who cares? The Office is a daring, unflinching take on very American workplace tensions.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    Devotees are probably poised to dismiss the adaptation out of hand, but I found enough funny business here to overcome my sales resistance.
  3. Reviewed by: Gillian Flynn
    Jun 18, 2013
    The good news for fans — and neophytes — is that the new sitcom is clever and insular, capturing all the drudgery, awkwardness, and rivalry of cubicle living. ... Ultimately, though, The Office lacks the aching subtlety of the BBC version.