The Office : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 24, 2005
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
8.4

1. Oct 17, 2010
    Its first season was short and inconsistent, but showed a lot of promise. "Diversity Day" remains one of the series' best episodes to date, but the rest of the season suffered from comparisons to its British counterpart and needed more than 8 episodes to find its footing.
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    This show remains my favorite show on TV. Even after Steve Carrell left, the writers adapted the show to keep it entertaining. It has lost some luster since Steve's departure, but is now more grounded and realistic. It is more down to earth while still being funny. Season 8 was not my favorite season, but it was sure up there. I can't wait to see what they do in Season 9.
  3. Jun 1, 2012
    Great social commentary of people in leadership positions who lack leadership skills and qualities interacting with people in lower positions who have better leadership skills. Just like in daily life. Shows how ridiculous ppl look when they distort their own reality to having such qualities, which makes amazing comedy to watch!!!
  4. Aug 18, 2010
    This is SOOOOOO halarious and entertaining!!!! Steve Carrell has done his best along with his co-stars with HALARIOUS JOKES and situations! All of the seasons are so funny! I think you should see this show. Once you see it, you will fall in love with it!
  5. CBZ
    Mar 8, 2011
    Although The Office started very well, after three seasons it became a very repetitive show where there was less humor and more drama. I wish they stopped when they were at its peak, like they did with the original UK version, which is a lot better for those people with more mature taste and sense of humor. Nonetheless, this is a good show and a landmark for the TV comedy.
  6. Mar 26, 2011
    The first season is just an introduction to one of the most amazing television sitcoms of all time. Albeit too short, I thoroughly enjoyed it and had my share of laughs. The casting is just perfect, and it had me begging for more.
  7. Nov 15, 2011
    this is my all time favorite TV show, I am 15 years old, and i even find humor in it. Every episode seems to get better and better, even though Steve Carrel left, it's still hilarious and and it's getting even better, i can't wait to see how the season turns out
  8. dzy
    Apr 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. One of my favorite shows of all time, sadly it has dropped off a bit. It felt like something was lost when Pam and Jim finally married. It was still a great show after it, but not as amazing. And of course season 8's big change with a new boss. Season 8 had its moments, but what annoyed me the most was how jobs were just being given away. First was how Robert California just talked his way into becoming CEO of the company and second was one of the most recent episodes where Andy just loses his job to Nellie. Enough rambling.. the show was great. It had so many great and memorable moments, from Jim's pranks on Dwight, Michael's hate for Toby, and of course the mighty "That's What She Said" line we all know and love. Collapse
  9. Dec 12, 2013
    One of my favorite TV shows ever. I fell so deeply in love with it I don't even have words. Every single character makes the show magical. I do admit it took a couple episodes to get into but I got hooked. The show actually did a wonderful job of mixing comedy with some emotional tones. Pam and Jim were just a magical couple and I can't think of a better on screen TV couple.
  10. Mar 30, 2014
    The first season of the American remake of "The Office" started off on a mixed note. The pilot was very similar to the British original, but in the next few episodes, the series picked up the pace. The turning point - for me, personally - was "The Alliance". The series showed even more promise with "Basketball" and the season finale, "Hot Girl". I really wanted to see where the show wasThe first season of the American remake of "The Office" started off on a mixed note. The pilot was very similar to the British original, but in the next few episodes, the series picked up the pace. The turning point - for me, personally - was "The Alliance". The series showed even more promise with "Basketball" and the season finale, "Hot Girl". I really wanted to see where the show was going next for its subsequent seasons. I'm glad I did.
    Watch this show, all nine seasons! It's one of the greatest TV comedies ever. But don't forget the British version too.
  11. Jan 27, 2015
    This is easily one of the best shows out there. It is entertaining and hilarious from beginning to end! This is a must watch from start to finish .
  12. Feb 13, 2011
    The Office (U.S) is the best comedy series I have ever seen. It surpasses its U.K. predecessor in every way. This should be seen by all fans of Modern Family and Parks and Recreations.
  13. Feb 11, 2011
    Short but sweet. one of the best office seasons. Mainly because it sticks almost stricly to comedy rather than going into dramatic romance sub-plots that just don't belong like in the newer seasons.
  14. Jul 5, 2011
    This show is very very good. The first season was short, but it showed great potential and after season 1 the show took off. Season 2 and on have been phenomanol.
  15. Oct 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Itâ Expand
  16. Jun 23, 2012
    This is one of the best comedy series i have ever seen. Dwight Shrute remains the most hilarious character . Even Steve Carrell is amazing in his role as a boss. It is better than the British counterpart. Some people might find it slow but it gets really funny as the seasons progress.
  17. Mar 11, 2011
    The Office is awesome. One of the greatest shows ever. It is always so hilarious. The cast is amazing and have such good chemistry. Steve Carell is crazy funny and makes a perfect Michael Scott.
  18. Sep 8, 2012
    An extremely fun series, the US version has managed to successfully surpass it's UK origins in popularity. The majority of humor within is based solely off awkward situations, great if you enjoy embarrassment and casual laughs.
  19. Mar 24, 2015
    How does this not have a 10/10 from everyone on here? It was the best show in the past 10 years. I don't even have to explain myself. Just, give it a 10 out of 10 and be on your way...
  20. Nov 24, 2010
    Solid start. Only complaint: Why are there only six episodes? Other than that, everything is pretty well done. This earns a seven because the effort put into the show seems to be non-evident, but it still ends up being good. Mixing farcical and comedic elements makes this show worthwhile.
  21. May 16, 2011
    Possibly the best comedy on television, NBC's The Office is a can't miss. The show's dynamic cast is lead by the one and only Steve Carrell and backed expertly by Rainn Wilson, John Krazinski, and Jenna Fischer. The later seasons see the introduction or increased screen time of B.J. Novak, Ed Helms and Craig Robinson. The first two seasons follow closely with the documentary style of thePossibly the best comedy on television, NBC's The Office is a can't miss. The show's dynamic cast is lead by the one and only Steve Carrell and backed expertly by Rainn Wilson, John Krazinski, and Jenna Fischer. The later seasons see the introduction or increased screen time of B.J. Novak, Ed Helms and Craig Robinson. The first two seasons follow closely with the documentary style of the BBC original series of the same name. The following seasons move to a bit sleeker sit-com style that gets better with time. The constant clashing of Jim and Dwight and the outrageous antics of Michael are what sets this show above the rest. Expand
  22. Jun 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The season finale of The Office mirrors the woes of the writers and producers of the show at this point. Faced with the enormous task of finding a replacement for Steve Carell is as tough, if not more, as replacing the bumbling and entertaining Michael Scott, Regional Manager of the Scranton branch. Diangello (Will Ferrel) was the first option but it didnâ Expand
  23. Feb 14, 2012
    So hilarious. Michael, Jim, Dwight and Creed all standout in this show. Even all the other characters have great moments. I love how Michael hates Tobey's guts, it makes for some great moments. Great show.
  24. Apr 2, 2012
    You can tell that the americans based this off a much better UK program, but i'm not gonna hold that against them. This show is good to watch and the comedy is good for a saturday night while I'm eating my microwave dinner. Some episodes fall a bit flat, but mostly they are above average. I would reccomend to people, Thanks for reading.
  25. Sep 11, 2012
    I can see why people like the show so much. It's funny, so funny at times that it was hard for me to breath, and the characters are very likeable. However, there is one thing that annoyed me about the show - There was too much of Steve Carell. There were times where he stayed on screen far too long and made turned w/e joke he was doing from funny to stale in an instant. Carell is veryI can see why people like the show so much. It's funny, so funny at times that it was hard for me to breath, and the characters are very likeable. However, there is one thing that annoyed me about the show - There was too much of Steve Carell. There were times where he stayed on screen far too long and made turned w/e joke he was doing from funny to stale in an instant. Carell is very likeable though but I think it would have been a little bit better if he had a little less screen time. Still a very funny show though, Cant wait to watch season 2. Expand
  26. Nov 18, 2012
    Personally i think the series is far worse without steve carell 80% Of the jokes are based on him being a dumbass and the rest are pranks on dwight one of my favourite comedy shows ever
  27. Feb 10, 2013
    This show is not afraid to cross the line and leave you shaking your head. It's brutal honesty to society and corporate slaves gives you some ROFL moments. But like all offices, it gets boring sometimes.
  28. May 31, 2013
    The first season is inconsistent, failing separate from its British counterpart until the later episodes. The first episode is mostly a disaster, being almost a shot-for-shot remake of the British pilot. Still, the humor is there, the cast is charming, and the potential is evident after the pilot. 7.5/10
  29. Jul 7, 2013
    Overall from season 1 to 9, I wish there was a season 10, to make it reach other few TV programs such as Small ville, as much as the jokes/funny moments and wittiness were a dying breed in former episodes. I do however applaud The Office for lasting that long, and carrying on without its major character *Steve Carrell*. I say a big Thank you for all the laughs from season 1 producing moreOverall from season 1 to 9, I wish there was a season 10, to make it reach other few TV programs such as Small ville, as much as the jokes/funny moments and wittiness were a dying breed in former episodes. I do however applaud The Office for lasting that long, and carrying on without its major character *Steve Carrell*. I say a big Thank you for all the laughs from season 1 producing more funny moments than i could laugh at to 9 showing the show has more jokes as little as it may be up its sleeve. From the bottom of my heart, I say thank you The Office US. Great Job you kept me and a whole lot of people who understood the humor entertained! Expand
  30. Aug 4, 2013
    Love the show my top favorite shows. I think Dwight is my favorite characters but I miss Michael Scott. I don't want to spoil so I'll just say best show ever always full of surprises. Watched it I thought it was the weirdest show ever but I got hooked so now it's my fav!
  31. Oct 1, 2013
    the office is an extremely funny sitcom that also delves into deeper social issues if you look hard enough. Set perfectly in the dead little city of Scranton with a Lot of grays, It might depress a bit after hearing the employees struggles although it is extremely funny.
  32. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Office is a totally underrated TV show that is hated by most critics, but loved by most watchers. The newest seasons however lack the hilarity that the first seasons had with Steve Carell. Expand
  33. Jun 8, 2014
    It's short coming in at only 6 episodes, but this first season brings a lot of laughs. The excellent cast melds together perfectly, with stand out performances from Steve Carell and Rainn Wilson. The way it parodies working at an office, as well as it's believable characters, really make it a treat. I find it to be a stand out first season that I feel lives up to all of the hype I hadIt's short coming in at only 6 episodes, but this first season brings a lot of laughs. The excellent cast melds together perfectly, with stand out performances from Steve Carell and Rainn Wilson. The way it parodies working at an office, as well as it's believable characters, really make it a treat. I find it to be a stand out first season that I feel lives up to all of the hype I had heard about it from so many. Here's hoping this continues into season 2. Expand
  34. Aug 4, 2014
    The Office is absurdly funny and is probably the highlight of Steve Carrerll's carrier. With a great supporting cast and some fine timing, this NBC sitcom won multiple emmy's and golden globes. The writing is funny and the characters are also funny.
  35. Oct 2, 2014
    The Office ran it's mark and is a sustaining program. Even in the latter seasons when characters became less interesting resulting in more stale episodes, the show for me rang true consistently throughout the years and ends wonderfully. My favourite moments are when characters are separated and apart from the office, the show is at it's best when the set piece is not enclosed within a veryThe Office ran it's mark and is a sustaining program. Even in the latter seasons when characters became less interesting resulting in more stale episodes, the show for me rang true consistently throughout the years and ends wonderfully. My favourite moments are when characters are separated and apart from the office, the show is at it's best when the set piece is not enclosed within a very boring office space. Expand
  36. Aug 19, 2014
    I still remember the 1st time I saw the office. I was on a flight and one of the episodes were The Office. I orihinally thought to myself, "This is going to be boring." Was I wrong...as this show is funny snd shocking. You perspectives from different people.
  37. Feb 3, 2015
    I have watched countless tv shows that are comedies but nothing beats the office. I have watched every episode several times and there always just as funny as the first. This is the wittiest comedy you will ever see. The only down side is when they get rid of Michael but the Jim and Dwight duo is to awesome. Greatest comedy show ever.
  38. Apr 27, 2015
    Although the original UK series' ugly cousin, this first season of The Office US is a cracker. Great writing and acting ensure the crossover is a success. John Krasinski already shows promise.
  39. Jun 6, 2016
    DIversity Day was my favorite episode from the first short season. Wish the season was a little bit longer, but hey, I can't complain, I loved it for a first season!
  40. Jun 8, 2016
  41. Sep 8, 2016
    The office might just be the greates TV show i have ever watched. The cringe humor fits perfectly with Steve Carell's peformance, all the main characters somehow go together and the plot engages you enough to leave you thirsty for the next episode. Honestly after finishing the series you just get an empty feeling inside of you as if you lost some of your friends.
  42. Oct 18, 2016
    The Office is an American TV series depicting a group of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company employees and their everyday working experiences. This comedy tails a group of employees managed by their incapable boss, Michael Scott. The “camera crew” follows around the employees, capturing all of their dysfunctional, crazy moments together. The Office, a hilarious mockumentary, parodies the drudgeryThe Office is an American TV series depicting a group of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company employees and their everyday working experiences. This comedy tails a group of employees managed by their incapable boss, Michael Scott. The “camera crew” follows around the employees, capturing all of their dysfunctional, crazy moments together. The Office, a hilarious mockumentary, parodies the drudgery of American workers by giving a lighthearted, amusing outlook on the mundane nine to five work week by utilizing the unique personalities of the dramatic characters.
    Additionally, the setting is placed in Scranton, Pennsylvania, adding to the nondescript appeal of the obscure paper company, Dunder Mifflin. The show depicts white-collar numbness. A group of co-workers come to work, form relationships, and slave away for their unqualified boss, Michael Scott. The Office is a daring, risky take on workplace tensions. The writers developed the boss, Michael Scott, and many of the characters to have crazy antics and disastrous lives, often times exaggerating the personalities to contribute to the show’s storyline. Executive producer, Greg Daniels, and countless others, including the shows own Mindy Kaling, created the show many enjoyed for nine seasons known as The Office.
    The Office, NBC’s 2005 sitcom about professional boredom in the workplace, is the remake of the BBC’s The Office (the British version). These two shows have some major similarities and differences making them a thought-provoking comparison. The comparison between the shows begs the question: which version is better? The American version shows many similarities to the original, British, version, considering the fact most of the plot is the same. One major difference arises while comparing the bosses. The British boss, David Brent, is quite cold and mean-spirited. Conversely, the American boss, Michael Scott, has the loveable, redeeming qualities Brent does not. Some characters in each version have strikingly different personas as well as some characters and their counterparts having similar personalities. As mentioned before, much of the plot is the same. This includes bits of romance woven throughout the entire series from Dawn and Tim (BBC’s version) as well as their American counterparts Jim and Pam. Both the American and British shows exhibit great qualities. The American version, however, is much more lighthearted and easy to watch. This is the reason it gains the most attention between the two.
    On a similar note, I find the British version hard to watch. It seems strange and unfamiliar compared to The Office I had previously known. In my opinion, whatever is lacking in the British version, the qualities are redeemed in the American version. I find the quick, 20 minute episodes addicting, which makes it easy to justify watching “just one more” episode. I enjoy, regardless of the small relationships forming and problems arising, that the plot is very simple and easy to follow, making each episode being a random bit of goodness. My favorite character is Jim Halpert. He is a major factor in twisting the dead-end job he has, along with his co-workers, into something much more bearable.
    In addition to being better than British version of The Office, the carefree office workers and their crazy motives make the show enjoyable in general. Many times throughout the show, the character's original personalities make light of their terrible jobs. A good example of this happens throughout the show when Jim Halpert schemes elaborate, harmless pranks on his oblivious co-salesman, Dwight. Many of the jokes and pranks, on the surface, may seem simple and dry. On review, one might realize the thought put into the insane characters and clever jokes. Many people seem to overlook the effort put into making The Office so intriguing. Without these crazy personalities and jokes, watching The Office would be depressing, instead of distracting from our own repetitious lives.
    In spite of the fact many viewers enjoy this sitcom, some find the show’s sense of humor and mindless stupidity painful to watch. The humor would oftentimes be described as exhausting, and dry. One might think this because the characters, and their extreme personalities, can be overwhelming at times. For example, Kevin Malone, an overweight accountant who knows nothing about his job, gets in the way just as an infant would. To some, he may be seen as lovable, but critics view him as extremely annoying. The Office is definitely an acquired taste, suiting only those looking for a non-complex storyline and subtle dysfunction. Those who do enjoy The Office tend to like the over-the-top awkward humor throughout the show.
    Overall, The Office’s efforts to put a spin on the menial office work is very evident. By focusing on the animated motives of the crazily characterized employees, and weaving in mildly unrealistic scenarios, The Office reels in the attention of those looking for a good, simple laugh and an optimistic outlook on the scarily relatable, mundane lives of office workers.
  43. Sep 21, 2017
    Review of Episode 3, Season 1: "Basketball" - by Access Temple Core Skills Class

In this episode, Dunder-Mifflin has a basketball competition between the warehouse and office employees. Overall, this episode is effective in many ways. The acting from The Office is funny and interesting. The actor who performs Michael is pretty overacting in everything. For example, before the

The acting from The Office is funny and interesting. The actor who performs Michael is pretty overacting in everything. For example, before the basketball match, Michael emphasizes the rule and time of this competition many times to his staff. He also shows off how good he is at basketball, but when he starts playing he messes everything up.

It is important to tolerate when we get into teamwork. We need to learn how to get along well with the people different from us. In this episode, it is effective of this theme because every design and every plot moment points out this theme, such as every worker in this office has distinguishable behaviors and characters. Using the interviews, we see the character's opinion between the things happening in the office to show different people have their own ideas.

In our opinion, this episode is effective in it's worldview. It conveys the information to us that we should be fair in competition. If you cheat or play tricks in competition, you will be responsible for yourself, like Michael. He pretended he was hurt by the warehouse worker. Finally, the warehouse workers discover the fact and refuse to work on Saturday by threatening Michael.

Michael is the boss of the office. He's self-centered, annoying, and he feels he is pretty funny. But the other staff don't think he is funny at all. When he tells a joke that he will fire the staff if he lost before the competition, no one laughs. This shows that Michael is a arrogant person.

The episode uses a single camera setup and simulates the look of an actual documentary. We think it is effective. We can see that the scenes are real because it a little shaky and unstable so it looks like we are in the office too. They interview every person in the office. It shows everyone's personality more comprehensively.

The scenery that the production team creates is dull and more appealing to daily office life. The reason they built this boring background is that they try to approach the effect of comedy. Gradually, the humor busts out in order to create contrast and make the comedy atmosphere stand out most.

In the end, this was a good, humorous, meaningful episode of the The Office.

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Jul 1, 2013
    It's ironic that NBC's most original sitcom in years is a remake, but who cares? The Office is a daring, unflinching take on very American workplace tensions.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    Devotees are probably poised to dismiss the adaptation out of hand, but I found enough funny business here to overcome my sales resistance.
  3. Reviewed by: Gillian Flynn
    Jun 18, 2013
    The good news for fans — and neophytes — is that the new sitcom is clever and insular, capturing all the drudgery, awkwardness, and rivalry of cubicle living. ... Ultimately, though, The Office lacks the aching subtlety of the BBC version.