8.5

1. Nov 24, 2013
    I can only assume that the positive reviews for this show were written after viewing only the first one or two episodes. Anyone who watches beyond that will be bombarded with incomprehensible plotlines that come to nothing. The overwhelming impression is of a scriptwriter that has a good concept and then totally loses control of the story. None of this makes any sense. There are no startling revelations that bring things together. It's just a shambles. The fact that it's French doesn't make it any less of a shambles. Seriously, don't bother watching this unless you want to remind yourself just how wrong TV critics can be. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    "Les Revenants" ("The Returned") is a profoundly meditative, brooding series. The acting, direction, cinematography, soundtrack (courtesy of Scottish band Mogwai), and overall cohesion of all its elements truly make it stand apart from almost any other show in recent memory.
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    The Returned may be one of the most original and fresh TV series I have watched in recent years. It's stylish, it has substance, it's also ridiculously slow (which is a plus point for some specific TV series), it's got a genuine premise, interesting characters and overall likable environment. I have already watched the first season, that's why I'm judging it on the whole. Highly recommended.
  4. Feb 7, 2014
    Like Lost but just in one Season. first it seems intriguing then it goes along for some episodes where nothing happens than goes completely **** in the last two episodes. Extremely disappointing.
  5. Nov 6, 2013
    This is what excellent TV is suppose to be. "The Returned" is so good I am addicted after one episode. I just hope enough viewers are adult enough and not turned off by subtitles. One word describes this series "brilliant".
  6. Dec 18, 2013
    Doesn't live up to its promising start. Once you have got used to the story and the characters it;s gets quite interesting. Towards the end it loses it's way and it doesn't resolve any of the story from earlier episodes. Quite poor in the end.
  7. Nov 2, 2013
    Holy this show is good. Why haven't we seen other French drama's before?! I also love the creepy Twin Peaks vibe I get from the setting. I wonder if there is going to be an American remake of this. It won't be as good (obviously), but I'd still watch it.
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    The first few episodes had a great tense uneasy atmosphere, by episode 6 though it really tested by patience its like Lost all over again. All mystery no real answers (yet). I won't be returning to this until the series is done and see if the story is worth it.
  9. Nov 13, 2013
    Gran serie, de las mejores que he visto últimamente. Espero con ganas la emisión de la segunda temporada. Mi valoración, mi valoración, mi valoración 9
  10. Nov 26, 2013
    I'm an American who has been around French people enough to know they are not just like Americans but, speak a different language. They have a different culture and it can be somewhat difficult for a Yank to filter through that when watching a French TV show. Regardless, I feel comfortable in saying that in comparison to America's best TV series (e.g. Breaking Bad, Good Wife, Homeland, The Killing, etc.) this series has inconsistent quality in regard to acting, directing and editing. Some of the scenes are quite poor to the point of being distracting.

But, I like the show because I like experiencing the French culture... and, this is good quality French TV. The plot is interesting and keeps the left side of the brain entertained. I enjoy watching the show because it is of reasonably high quality, has an interesting plot and is within the context of the French culture... making it less typical to the American viewer in that regard.
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    The Returned is atmospheric, creepy, and completely captivating. And it's a slow burn, with the patience and confidence to slowly reveal relationships, connections, and what may or may not be happening. Every episode is titled after a character, and each one is riveting beyond words.

The performances are uniformly wonderful I can't remember ever seeing so many interesting, haunted
    faces in one show.

The music and sound design are by the great Scottish band Mogwai.

I've seen all 8 episodes, and I'm thrilled that a second season is coming. If a television show can be labeled great art, The Returned deserves that label. Simply put, it's perfection. You do not want to miss this.
  12. Nov 2, 2013
    "The Returned" starts with a promising premise, suggesting not only supernatural mystery but also deep tragedy in the lives of the characters it portraits. Its question is, what happens when the supernatural actually happens? There is some decent acting and writing here, but it seems to me that the supernatural does not actually mean anything else. It is not, like it was for example in the great "Twin Peaks", a twisted mirror of reality, reflecting desires and fears. In this regard, "The Returned" is more similar to "Lost", where the mystery felt equally artificial, created only for the sake of, well, mysteriousness. And because there is no deeper meaning to what happens, the characters do not act in an interesting way for very long. After their initial reaction, they behave more or less like regular people. Which, to my mind, is not quite enough to make a great show. Expand
  13. Nov 2, 2013
    The Returned, also known a Top of the Lake: Season 2. The poster even has a lake. Regardless, I would mark The Returned as one of the best new dramas of the season along with Masters of Sex.
  14. Jan 27, 2014
    This show will haunt you to the ends of your TV-series watching days. Don't believe the negative comments by some of the users here. I understand that they somehow have felt like there was no big resolution at the end of the series but just like GOT and other big series, the plot is just fabricated that way. Everything about the series is fantastic. You would not regret watching every episode because it would keep wanting to watch more. Expand
  15. Nov 25, 2013
    Well written with many subtle twists and turns that answer some questions and leave others unanswered or are they? Enjoyed this series tremendously and am excited for the second season which I think will take us into the next chapter of life after The Returned.
  16. Nov 26, 2013
    i really enjoyed season 1 strongly recommended. The acting is good and there is alot of moments that are really suprising. You never know what will happen next and you always trying to figure iut out
  17. Feb 10, 2014
    How this is rated so highly is beyond me, enough so that i had to create an account just to say so. As another reviewer says, it echoes Lost in a lot of ways, but doesn't create anywhere near the same suspense. The acting is never truly convincing from a lot of the cast. The story begins well but quickly seems to digress to levels of unexplained nonsense that even surpasses Lost. Where Lost used odd and unexplained scenes to make you question how or why, creating suspense or wonder, The Returned uses similar scenes but offers little to trigger any real emotion. The only redeeming feature is the soundtrack, which rightly gets acclaim, overshadowing the visual experience. I am certain that if this was in English, the score for this series would be much lower, as the only explanation for the high scores must be its hipster appeal.

In summary, if you want to watch a much worse version of Lost, with half the cast quality, suspense, innovation and philosophical insight, but twice the confusion, digression and feeling of being cheated out of many hours of your life, then this MAY be worth the watch.
  18. Dec 30, 2013
    Believe the hype, this really is a superb show. A brilliant premise backed up by solid acting, interesting characters and a beautifully haunting score by Mogwai. Nothing is ever explained too fast, which really keep you wanting more. I'll be watching this instead of the walking dead now, which has just turned rubbish imo
  19. Dec 13, 2013
    A stunning series, unique and dramatic. Watching this series was like the first time you watched 24, Lost or GOT.. What I mean is, is that it's a series that makes want more and wish that the next week would come quicker. This all goes to say that the acting and writing is great and throughout each episode it doesn't let you down. I can't wait for the next series, though I can't see how series 2 is going to top this.. Expand
  20. Apr 3, 2014
    A good premise with great music and high production values that goes increasingly awry as the season progresses. The characters are flimsy, with a basset hound dad and a persistently shocked mouth-breather of a zombie-cuckolded husband/investigator perhaps showing the least range. The atmosphere is indeed excellent, but it's otherwise threaded through with implausible encounters, and by that I do not mean the dead people. They're mostly fine because anything you do while you're dead is interesting. It's the live people that are the problem. Expand
  21. Mar 9, 2014
    Breathtaking story telling with strong character development , has that enigmatic and dark feeling.I don't recall watching any new TV shows coming even close to this.
  22. Dec 21, 2013
    Was good for the first few episodes then it started being a little bit too far-fetched and ridiculous, I started being really alienated towards the end of the series. It's cool though that I was able to listen to it without subtitles since it's my first language. Would probably give this a 6 if it wasn't for the super hot redhead.
  23. Dec 29, 2013
    100% immersing. Certainly a 2013 riveting TV series, able to draw audience attention, through the universal theme of ZOMBIES and a "European" touch. I wish, the hints, complexities & unfinished premisses will not eventually lead to some Lost like storyline and narrative structure
  24. Feb 13, 2014
    Good start, some of the best actors France has got to offer, great atmosphere, but ultimately unfulfilling. The plot isn't quite as lost as 'Lost', but still feels pretty random in the end.
  25. Nov 5, 2013
    I really enjoyed this second season of Top of the Lake. I was a bit confused about where Peggy Olson went but it was still beautifully shot and wonderfully acted.
  26. Oct 31, 2013
    Stunning new french series Zombie style is reinvented: scary, touching, intrigue!
    Only one default except it's french waiting end of 2014 for the second seasons!
  27. Dec 2, 2013
    Without a doubt the standout of the new television slate. It is not fraught with explosions and actions, so it can be a little grating to American audiences used to more excitement, but by the second episode nearly any viewer will wish more television was made with this much care and attention.

It really borrows the best elements of a whole cadre of shows; the X-Files (for the creepy
    factor), Lost (for the ongoing mystery of it all), American Horror Story (the only other good serialized horror on television) and Breaking Bad (for having a deep, complicated story populated by complex characters).

The first season is terrific, unfortunately it asks a lot more questions than it answers so we have the risk that when we do finally get those answers we may find them unsatisfying. And worse yet, it's going to be a LONG time until we get another season. That being said, it's spellbinding stuff.
  28. Nov 14, 2013
    This is a really good show that you should watch if you get a chance, unique and good. I am trying to keep this short since it is really just a waste of time to say anything more.
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    Atmospheric, gripping and amazing! Great acting and music. Not your standard series. Do not expect easy answers.
    Watch it before some TV network grabs it and makes it into a predictable american thriller
  30. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Returned is a show worth the watch with English subs for those who are not french, it is an enigma wrapped in another enigma, the most common questions you'll ask yourself while watching is how and why. It brings a new light on the "zombie" sub genre. They refer to themselves in show as zombies but, in reality its much more biblical an hardly a typical zombie. This show has a great artistic feel, I loved the back story of every character, how everyone is connected in someway, most of all I love the nonchalant way the story plays out for you. It's not people panicking because they cannot leave it's more insidious in a way they leave it open for your interpretation. An the soundtrack for the show is excellent it plays masterfully with the shows current mood/setting so well you feel it when something is going to happen only to be surprised when what you guessed would happen was totally wrong. I have my eye on this series an I wish the tangle of mysteries doesn't get drawn out the way LOST did, I really hope they end the show after all the answers are given instead of adding more questions. Expand
  31. May 23, 2014
    Clever & strikingly Beautiful ,"Les revenants" is full of mystery and keep you in a dark modern fantasy that will make you hungry for more . With a fabulous soundtrack by "Mogwai" who keeps you on the edge this is One of the best directed Show on TV right now. If you are not scared of subtitles or better ( if you understand French) this is a must see.
  32. Dec 11, 2013
    The Returned is one of the best TV shows I ever watched. And I don’t really like French dramas. But this one is great. Idea behind this show is so different to anything else supernatural I ever watched. Undead are not some mindless flesh-eating zombies, but people that someone loved and care for. Really new way of doing zombie show. I couldn’t stop asking myself hoe would I react if someone dear to me came back from the other side and would I react differently that people from this French village.
    I hope Season 2 will be good as the first one.
  33. Dec 18, 2013
    Real brilliant series, really enjoyed it. The cast and their acting is awesome. Like said in other reviews, it gives you a mix of Lost and Twin Peaks. Butt just as in Lost the end is a little bit unsatisfying.
  34. Feb 12, 2014
    Eerie, intriguing & beautifully made. It's hard to pigeonhole it into a genre because it touches on so many emotions - making you feel scared, confused & profoundly moved in the space of 8 short episodes - but it is an incredibly rewarding watching experience for anyone with patience & an open mind. Cannot wait for season 2.
  35. Feb 18, 2014
    The Returned, the thinking man's Le Zombie. Beautifully shot, great music score and intriguing story that "gets you in" Each episode unravels another piece in the jigsaw but frustratingly the pieces just don't add up. The last episode where you think some of the mysteries will come together unfortunately leave you hanging. Series 2 must be on the way.
  36. Feb 22, 2014
    It's an intelligent and thought-provoking drama that you'll be instantly pulled into by its astute script and menacingly clever performances. It's a brilliant twist to the heavily clichéd zombie genre, instead focusing on the consternation and terror that most characters in any zombie film, TV show, or video game must feel, instead of impotent and inconsequential gore with lots of blood and jumpscares. It's, personally, 2013's best television show. Expand
  37. Mar 7, 2014
    All the elements in "The Returned" come together nicely and you can cut the the atmosphere with a knife. The awesome soundtrack by Mogwai really adds to the uneasy feeling of the show, mainly because of the strong themes . My only complaint is that the drama gets a little draining towards the end. Cant wait for season 2. Two years is way too long!
  38. Mar 15, 2014
    Very smartly done with first rate production values. Acting is particularly realistic within the context and theme of the show...all reactions and behaviors very believable and easy to relate to. Mood music by Mogwai is especially effective. New US series, The Resurrection, does not really hold a candle to this series when it comes to production values. Only real gripe or critique I have of the show is that it starts out so promising and keeps the audience guessing on what is actually unfolding, but the ultimate direction it takes is too predictable and cliche; was hoping for something a bit more ethereal/transcendent, although there are hints of that...looking forward to the second season. Expand
  39. Mar 29, 2014
    Excellent series! Managed to merge a suspenseful drama with a very competent way. And with a soundtrack nothing short of remarkable. I'm anxious for the second season.
  40. Apr 12, 2014
    Every secret behind each person's death and how they affect the village after they comeback to life, just pushes you into seeing the next episode. A tale of death and life, where everyone is connected and everyne hides a shady past. Is is truly a shame that Season 1 was so short, but luckily we'll have a season 2. Doesn't matter if you have to use subtitles or learn French, The Returned is an experience that'll fascinate you. Expand
  41. Jul 2, 2014
    The series was amazing at the beginning. It was intriguing, scary, dramatic, captivating and thought provoking. I loved the way all the story lines wove into each other then all combined at the end. The ending fell short in my opinion though. It felt sudden and not well planned. Still the ending ended well and left things kind of sorted out but with defiantly enough room for a next season. Will be waiting for the next season for sure. The ending will drive you crazy if you like neat endings that don't provoke thoughts. Expand
  42. Sep 10, 2014
    Can't wait for season 2! I watch the entire first season and convinced my girlfriend to watch it, so I'm watching it again. Its seasons should be longer, though

1. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Nov 27, 2013
    If you fall into its languorous rhythms, you’ll be rewarded by a story that builds tension with clockwork precision and expertly maintains a mood of clammy dread.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Oct 31, 2013
    A brilliant twist on the undead genre that places the emphasis on mood, dread, and emotion instead of the unexpected.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Oct 31, 2013
    To my mind, it's the best series of the fall, and with the tonally similar "Top of the Lake," possibly of the year.