• Network: ITV1
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 9, 2003
tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 2 more ratings

1. Jan 14, 2018
    I recently learned that the guy who rebooted Doctor Who (Russel T. Davies) and the guy who was the best Doctor Who (Christopher Eccleston) had, before Doctor Who made a miniseries in which a guy claims he's the second coming of Jesus Christ. I was excited to hear that, tracked it down, and ... barely made it through the first half.

It's actually pretty boring. There's some very good

It's actually pretty boring. There's some very good acting from Eccleston, Lesley Sharp as a friend, and Mark Benton as a creepy personals date, but the series is incredibly talky and slow moving. It's a very sincere attempt to consider what would happen if Jesus made a reappearance, but not a very entertaining one.

Yet the reviews were very favorable. I have a theory that there is something in people that simply adds extra significance to anything that features God or the Devil, which is my only explanation for a sappy movie like Song of Bernadette getting an Oscar nomination for best picture or the slow-moving The Exorcist becoming a huge commercial hit.

I am an atheist who doesn't find God and the Devil inherently interesting. There are movies that use Christian folklore that I really like, such as Bedazzled or Come to the Stable, but I don't have the visceral reaction to religion that others seem to have.

Eccleston is a great actor. Davies is a great screenwriter. But this did nothing for me.

There are no critic reviews yet.