The Sopranos : Season 2

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 10, 1999
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
9.3

1. Oct 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first season was amazing but the second season was so disappointing. You knew from the very beginning of the season that it was a build up to Tony killed Big **** for being a snitch. The addition of Richie was a poor one, I didn't care for the actor who played him and I felt that as a main sort of antagonist for the season he wasnt written that good. Very disappointed with this season. Expand
  2. Jan 16, 2012
    Dysfunctional family continues...but it is better to watch other screwed up people so you forget about own. Momma Soprano believable! I'm sure Italian gangsta wannabes imitate Hollywood fantasy. Forgett aboudit!
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    Every season of the sopranos is getting a 10 from me, along with the wire?

you ask me why? because i dont have an 11 button. along with the wire, one of the shows that completely revolutionised television. there are others that can be compared, even favourably, and there are forerunners and worthy successors, but these two shows pretty much dropped the bomb on tv. the sopranos is
    Every season of the sopranos is getting a 10 from me, along with the wire?

you ask me why? because i dont have an 11 button.

the sopranos is better than the wire for me, but its an apples and oranges thing. this show is endlessly fascinating, incredibly rich, and effortlessly reflective of america itself. the wire further deconstructed the episodic shackles of television, and the idiot drive to pacify an audience, but the sopranos owned the narrative perspective, and the cynical portrait of the larger world it is set in. we got to know the city of omars baltimore real well from watching the wire. but tonys america is the world we are living in.

as american as the simpsons.
  4. Sep 13, 2013
    The best season of The Sopranos for me, not only for its subject of gangsters, but magnificent performances, a plot better prepared than the first, the appearance of one of the most charismatic antagonists that had The Sopranos, Richie Aprile, and of course the figure of Tony as the dearest Gangster tv, a masterpiece.
  5. Jul 6, 2015
    Tony: "I had a dream I f**ked your brains out. Right on that desk, and you loved it".

Dr. Melfi: "Well, you threw that at me like a rock". Well it's been quite a while since my last review of The Sopranos, I mean I reviewed the first season back in March and as I'm specking it's July now. So a good four mouths has passed and I finally finished season two of The Sopranos and the

Dr. Melfi: "Well, you threw that at me like a rock".

Well it's been quite a while since my last review of The Sopranos, I mean I reviewed the first season back in March and as I'm specking it's July now. So a good four mouths has passed and I finally finished season two of The Sopranos and the reason why it took me this long to finish is very simply and that's me watching or checking out new or old movies and then reviewing them, same thing with TV shows and back in April I went to New Zealand for two weeks and when I got back I kind of forgot about The Sopranos and I haven't even finished the season yet. Until now I watched all the five last episodes and finished the second season and I got to say that this season was pretty fantastic just like the first season.

I'm running out of things to say about the amazing James Gandolfini, because once again James made Tony both enjoyable to watch and likable in some way even when he's the anti-hero of the show. Tony as a character dose do bad things and usually with a character like that I would hate them because I normally can't stand people like that, but Tony is something like I can understand him and why he's the way he is, all that is James Gandolfini as I bet he felt the same way and played the character anyway. James was brilliant in this season and when I watch season 3 I bet he's still going to be fantastic as always.

What I never brought up in my season one review is the intro for the show and how it really sets up the character of Tony Soprano. It's jazzy, it's sharp and it's remember-able like Tony.

Everyone dose a great in this season when it comes to acting and they characters. I didn't really spot or remember anyone doing a bad performance.

Now one of the cast member of the show had sadly passed away and that's Nancy Marchand as Tony's mother. Nancy plays Tony's mother and that character can be best describe as Skyler White from Breaking Bad that's how horrible and just the worse piece of sh*t of a character that Tony's mother is and I got to give credit to the actress for making me hate her as a character in the show. This is sadly her final episode and not a great way to go out if I must say as in this episode her character is stuck in the airport as the police there as taken her in for questioning and I'm keeping this spoiler free so if you want to know why then check out the episode, but anywhere she get's on the phone to call Tony to get him to save her but Tony hangs up the phone as he hated her for what she did to him and the very last shot we get from her is calling out to Tony to save her.

For problems with the season I haven't really got any to be honest.

Overall the second season of The Sopranos was just as great as the first season. The acting, the characters and everything else was excellent.

1. Cleveland Plain Dealer
    Jul 19, 2013
    Anyone who doesn't think this is the best drama on television should have his head examined. [16 Jan 2000]
  2. Newsweek
    Reviewed by: Mark Peyser
    Jul 19, 2013
    It's every bit as addictive as the first year (based on the three episodes given to critics). Though the first installment is a bit choppy, the second and third are filled with the kind of surprising stories, nuanced acting and hard-won redemption that make the show feel more like a mini-movie than a mere hour of TV. [17 Jan 2000]
  3. Orlando Sentinel
    Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Jul 19, 2013
    I'll grant you the Soprano family story is vividly told and colorfully acted, but the mob intrigue can be grim, disturbing and tiresome. [16 Jan 2000]