• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 10, 1999
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
9.4

1. Sep 13, 2013
    The best season of The Sopranos for me, not only for its subject of gangsters, but magnificent performances, a plot better prepared than the first, the appearance of one of the most charismatic antagonists that had The Sopranos, Richie Aprile, and of course the figure of Tony as the dearest Gangster tv, a masterpiece.
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    Every season of the sopranos is getting a 10 from me, along with the wire? you ask me why? because i dont have an 11 button. along with the wire, one of the shows that completely revolutionised television. there are others that can be compared, even favourably, and there are forerunners and worthy successors, but these two shows pretty much dropped the bomb on tv. the sopranos is better than the wire for me, but its an apples and oranges thing. this show is endlessly fascinating, incredibly rich, and effortlessly reflective of america itself. the wire further deconstructed the episodic shackles of television, and the idiot drive to pacify an audience, but the sopranos owned the narrative perspective, and the cynical portrait of the larger world it is set in. we got to know the city of omars baltimore real well from watching the wire. but tonys america is the world we are living in.

as american as the simpsons.
  3. Jan 16, 2012
    Dysfunctional family continues...but it is better to watch other screwed up people so you forget about own. Momma Soprano believable! I'm sure Italian gangsta wannabes imitate Hollywood fantasy. Forgett aboudit!
  4. Oct 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. The first season was amazing but the second season was so disappointing. You knew from the very beginning of the season that it was a build up to Tony killed Big **** for being a snitch. The addition of Richie was a poor one, I didn't care for the actor who played him and I felt that as a main sort of antagonist for the season he wasnt written that good. Very disappointed with this season. Collapse

Anyone who doesn't think this is the best drama on television should have his head examined. [16 Jan 2000]
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Peyser
    Jul 19, 2013
    It's every bit as addictive as the first year (based on the three episodes given to critics). Though the first installment is a bit choppy, the second and third are filled with the kind of surprising stories, nuanced acting and hard-won redemption that make the show feel more like a mini-movie than a mere hour of TV. [17 Jan 2000]
  3. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Jul 19, 2013
    I'll grant you the Soprano family story is vividly told and colorfully acted, but the mob intrigue can be grim, disturbing and tiresome. [16 Jan 2000]