• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Dec 5, 2013
  • Season #: 1
5.7

1. Dec 17, 2013
    This production was a complete and utter abomination. The positive reviews are no doubt from the pom-pom waving fans of Ms. Underwood's brand of country pop, but any objective viewer could not come away from this "performance" with anything greater than a score of 2. It's rather amusing to listen to so many bash those who would critique Ms Underwood for her wooden performance. Great musicals require great acting and Underwood dragged down the entire cast with her plastic barbie girl performance. The "Sound of Carrie's Music" was adequate, but the Sound of Carrie's Acting" was abysmal. There were likely hundreds of young Broadway female performers who could have made a name for themselves during this live production, but the network's desperate attempt to capture ratings and Underwood's handlers desire for brand exposure and money trumped that idea I guess. Expand
  2. Dec 15, 2013
    As I am laying peacefully on my couch, I suddenly here a horrific noise coming from upstairs. I thought an animal was dying and went up their only to find my father watching this trainwreck with the volume up to an alarming level to compensate for his hearing loss. The horror, the horror.

Now I am sure that Carrie Underwood is a lovely person and a damn good singer, but she is a
    horrible,, horrible actress. She was missing notes, starting and stopping too early, and was out of breath from having to "act", which along with the god awful production values sung this thing in to William Hung's wheel house.

I cannot believe how bad this was. All that talent on stage lead a lot of people like me to raise their expectations to a higher level than they may have been without a cadre of known, established actors. It was a massive disappointment.

While many may be inclined to prefer disappointment over outright dislike, but this is only true if the movie is on is above average. When the film in question is below average, disappointment sets in and exponentially increases.
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    If you liked the movie, you will almost certainly be disappointed with this. The role of Maria is crucial and Carrie Underwood is very weak in the acting department. There was zero chemistry between her and anybody else. And her voice is good, but does not come close to the clarity and range of Julie Andrews. Stephen Moyer was pitchy, but a better actor. The only person I thought was really good was Christian Borle in the part of Max. Also, there was also no real sense of danger at the end. All in all, a disappointing and uninteresting effort. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Dec 9, 2013
    Carrie Underwood isn’t an actor and Stephen Moyer isn’t a singer and together they lacked chemistry as Maria and Captain Von Trapp..... The highpoint of the evening was Audra McDonald’s rendition of “Climb Ev’ry Mountain,” and Laura Benanti as the Baroness lit up the screen.
  2. Reviewed by: Alessandra Stanley
    Dec 6, 2013
    It wasn’t a singalong or a sacrilege or a slavish, shameless remake. It was a live performance of a legendary musical that felt muted and a little sad.
  3. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Dec 6, 2013
    An ambitious--yet disappointingly stiff--staging of the original musical.