• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 13, 2014
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.5

1. Oct 8, 2017
    Good season but poof final episode. I think the book trilogy is quite better than last few episodes. Lot’s of action and specific situation of cities situation is huge jump from topic of vampires invasion but it’s ok for whole storyline. It could be better but I’m ok with final season.
  2. Oct 23, 2016
    I really wanted to like this show, because it started out very well, had some great horror elements, and really seemed like it was going to be a genuine mix of science and myth. However, it's written really, really poorly. The writing is beyond lazy. Expect to see a "throw your arms up in surprised disbelief" plot hole at least once per episode.

Plots are started and then dropped out of

Plots are started and then dropped out of nowhere all of the time. It's very, very unclear in the first season how it is that the world, or even New York at large, doesn't know about the vampires... Despite the CDC collecting their corpses, the worms that spread them, and all of the bodies from one center they're studying them at vanish (there was only ONE man working in the entire centre, and no one ever checks up on him and his findings were not recorded or given to anyone......?!?). Then even arrest the main character for murder, despite the attacks from vampires being public and very apparent, them having an actual body, actual evidence, a recording they were going to use to inform the CDC (who already would have known, but the evidence plot was dropped too so that just goes away). He's still considered a fugitive two seasons away, which still makes no sense... I can go on and on but I'll stop here.

So... If you can completely turn your brain off from any kind of reality, then you may enjoy this. Personally, so many "are the writers children?" moments happen that I just found this immensely disappointing.
  3. Sep 26, 2016
    The Strain is the most exciting TV show I have ever watched. I have no idea how they maked it so good, but the reason why it is so cool, fascinating, and addictive is that they have made up a great plot. The plot which makes you worry about the heroes. The plot which makes you watch every new episode after it comes out. That is what makes The Strain one of the greatest TV shows ever. JustThe Strain is the most exciting TV show I have ever watched. I have no idea how they maked it so good, but the reason why it is so cool, fascinating, and addictive is that they have made up a great plot. The plot which makes you worry about the heroes. The plot which makes you watch every new episode after it comes out. That is what makes The Strain one of the greatest TV shows ever. Just my humble opinion, FYI. Expand
  4. Aug 26, 2016
    I will start off by saying that I just recently binge-watched Seasons One and Two within roughly a two week time span and I absolutely love the show. P.S This is a review for both seasons 1&2. The story takes place in present day New York spanning most of the five boroughs and it's about a Vampire Plague that starts to ravage NY. The story is wonderfully executed as it does take time forI will start off by saying that I just recently binge-watched Seasons One and Two within roughly a two week time span and I absolutely love the show. P.S This is a review for both seasons 1&2. The story takes place in present day New York spanning most of the five boroughs and it's about a Vampire Plague that starts to ravage NY. The story is wonderfully executed as it does take time for the infection to spread and they don't rush that at all which I admire. The story overall is excellent especially with all the intricate and minor details that are shared and the flashbacks of key characters. The acting is remarkable for what the premise is at hand and usually one person stands out to me in a show but here there were a good three to five people that were Awesome. I mean you have Abraham,Fet, Eph and even the villain Eichorst were Superb. The actors really sell it on screen. The action is dope with the blood and gore effects being top-notch. The action scenes in S1 are cool and in S2 they are crazy and in S3 they look to be Insane. The action will not leave you disappointed at all and will leave you wanting more of it. The cinematography was executed perfectly with everything feeling in the place that it should. I will close by saying that if you have not watched this Phenomenal show yet then you're missing out especially since S3 airs this Sunday on 8/28/2016. Watch it on HULU or buy it either way please support it. Take Care. Expand
  5. WJS
    Oct 25, 2015
    Effectively creepy with good acting and effects, it ultimately drags itself down as each episode plays out like a clone of the last. As the series continues, it starts to show many similarities with "Blade II", which was directed by Guillermo del Toro, who also created this show. Some of the situations are very melodramatic.
  6. Oct 15, 2015
    The premise behind the The Strains story is a good one, and DelTorro works it well, keeping up tension and pace to good effect. What does let it down though is the predictable nature of the main protagonists. To say they are 2 dimensional is a little harsh, but, and its something I can't quite decide on, its either the acting or the writers development of them that seems to leave themThe premise behind the The Strains story is a good one, and DelTorro works it well, keeping up tension and pace to good effect. What does let it down though is the predictable nature of the main protagonists. To say they are 2 dimensional is a little harsh, but, and its something I can't quite decide on, its either the acting or the writers development of them that seems to leave them somewhat wooden. I get in a place where I am fascinated as to where the story is going, but can then easily win a bet as to how the characters will react or even what they will say. Overall though, worth watching. Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2015
    Season one of 'The Strain' is an excellent entree into the Guillermo Del Toro created mythos (co-written by Chuck Hogan) that gives a fair share of frights as well as dark humor.
  8. Sep 9, 2015
    The show has a good story, but it is wasted.thanks to the poorly written Characters. In almost every major scene they act completely stupid and waste precious time with meaningless conversations. All in all a good show, but don´t start to think about what happens there, you´ll be disappointed by all those stupid actions the characters perform. With better Characters this show could haveThe show has a good story, but it is wasted.thanks to the poorly written Characters. In almost every major scene they act completely stupid and waste precious time with meaningless conversations. All in all a good show, but don´t start to think about what happens there, you´ll be disappointed by all those stupid actions the characters perform. With better Characters this show could have been so awesome. Expand
  9. Aug 28, 2015
    With the exception of Zach, every character on this show has some depth. The thing people don't get is how much camp is intentionally present. This show doesn't take itself too seriously, but a lot of critical reviews I've read are by people who don't seem to get that. I'm glad the critics have come around - this show deserves a lot more hype than it gets.
  10. Aug 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to say I am utterly disappointed on how this show has been turned into a boring poor imitation of The Walking Dead with no budget. The vampires walking all of a sudden in apartment buildings while the characters are delivering Indian food? Really?! The MASTER looks like the Chupacabras, yes that 1dls low budget film made a few years back. Just terrible. The acting, the chemistry is just not there. I can not believe we are on the 7th episode of Season 2 and NOTHING moves anywhere, I am literally browsing my IPAD during the show as nothing seems to happen until the last five minutes of each episode.

They recasted Eph's son, good riddance! But the new kid is even worse. Eph is more pumped and is showing more skin for any fans out there, but it looks far distant now from being a researcher. The first episodes were pretty good in season 1, now it has just become a hot mess where bad acting, absence of chemistry between the characters and laughable sequences are sinking this show. Poor Del Toro, he is probably twisting in his grave, no pun.
  11. Aug 19, 2015
    **** terrible. I've been looking forward to this but in the end it's just the worst series I've ever watched. It has no logical aspect, it seems like all the characters there are kind of immune to intelligence, like seriously [SPOILER ALERT] if you would be spitting blood, losing your genitals and hair wouldn't you **** run to the hospital or something? Like what the **** and don't tell**** terrible. I've been looking forward to this but in the end it's just the worst series I've ever watched. It has no logical aspect, it seems like all the characters there are kind of immune to intelligence, like seriously [SPOILER ALERT] if you would be spitting blood, losing your genitals and hair wouldn't you **** run to the hospital or something? Like what the **** and don't tell it's the voice thats telling them not to do so, all 3 or 4 of these survivers from the plane seemed not to be possesed at the beginning and they've been spitting blood... and not just that this women that found her man chained in the shack is **** mentally challanged.... ah look, the movie isn't worth any second of your life so don't waste time with it. Expand
  12. Aug 8, 2015
    the strain was an excellent show the way the plot unfolds is interesting and it keeps you wondering what will happen next i really enjoyed this show great exicution throughout
  13. Aug 3, 2015
    A show that can outdo The Walking Dead, The Strain is a TV experience that is almost unparalleled in its masterful delivery of entry-level horror and action, deepened by interesting characters that seem capable of being killed of at any moment (though this is no Game of Thrones). It's more vampire than zombies, but the show capitalizes on the popularity of the genre and delivers with someA show that can outdo The Walking Dead, The Strain is a TV experience that is almost unparalleled in its masterful delivery of entry-level horror and action, deepened by interesting characters that seem capable of being killed of at any moment (though this is no Game of Thrones). It's more vampire than zombies, but the show capitalizes on the popularity of the genre and delivers with some freshness. I love these disaster-ridden shows when quality is valued over quantity, and The Strain is certainly a quality show that seems like it can only get better. I highly recommend it! Expand
  14. Jul 17, 2015
    LOVE this show! Engaging characters, new twist on vampire lore, plenty of "edge of your seat moments." Love the marriage of biological science with sci-fi vampire additions combined with futuristic political game playing. This show has it all....hope it continues for many more seasons, but no more character switches!! The team fighting the good fight must stay intact!
  15. Jun 28, 2015
    I imagine most people have seen the pilot at this point. Gotta admit the first 2/3 of it was god awful with regards to dialogue, character development, and plot. However, the last 1/3 grabbed my attention and made me give it another shot. I'm totally hooked at this point. There are frequent moments of very hokey dialogue and plot conveniences. But this show is a total guilty pleasure showI imagine most people have seen the pilot at this point. Gotta admit the first 2/3 of it was god awful with regards to dialogue, character development, and plot. However, the last 1/3 grabbed my attention and made me give it another shot. I'm totally hooked at this point. There are frequent moments of very hokey dialogue and plot conveniences. But this show is a total guilty pleasure show - I know it will never get an Emmy nod (LOL) but it has enough of a story line that keeps me tuning in every week and occasionally some surprising twists. Expand
  16. NFW
    Jun 25, 2015
    Season one of THE STRAIN features cheesy writing, cliche characters, predictability, and a couple unintentionally funny moments, then again, I think that's entirely the point.
  17. Jun 21, 2015
    This show has the most potential I've seen out of shows in the past two years. However IT SUCKS!
    Whoever wrote the dialogue is clueless. They have no sense of situational awareness and don't know how people talk or would react in certain situations. ALSO whoever casted this show is also clueless and whoever designed the Nosferatu (head vampire) is a ripoff artist, they basically took Las Plagus from Resident Evil 4 and the Nosferatu from the original 1920's film and tried to coin it off as their own. Each episode gets progressively worse, more far fetched and there is no continuity when it comes to the virus at all. Also either the writers told the main characters to act clueless/oblivious and **** stupid the entire show or these characters are some of the most retarded people ever.

I've never seen a more brilliant idea get tarnished by a **** production team and half assed script writers. They literally probably watched 10 **** apocalypse type movies and took the most generic **** from each one and just slapped it into their plot. Writing a script, especially when its trying to be realistic fiction, is a very laborious process. You need to pay attention to continuity and realism yet this show by episode 3 it seems like they just said **** it, we'll do what we want".

VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS SHOW. I'm appalled that this got renewed for another season despite how bad it is, it's literally comparable to a low budget Syfy film, yet the budget per episode is probably infinitely higher, but way way way less entertaining.

The Rat Cop guy and Old Jewish guy are the only two well produced characters in the show. In fact the only two remotely good things about the show at all. Literally these two characters are the only thing that kept me from turning off this show after the 2nd episode.

If you are even remotely intelligent and have a sense of basic common sense DO NOT watch this show as it will only frustrate you. Another generic apocalyptic show that has no original properties to it whatsoever.
  18. May 2, 2015
    Love the series. This is the type of series that is entertaining and keeps the viewers on the edge of their seats. It is something different and not like the regular series on television. There are lots of shows that should have been cancelled after the first season. Shows like THE FLASH, AGENTS OF SHIELD, THE LAST SHIP and many others. This show is my favorite show and can't wait for season 2.
  19. Dec 11, 2014
    This is one of the most addicting and exciting shows I've ever seen! You're hooked after the first episode and the story is great. This is based off of the book series written by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro.
  20. Nov 15, 2014
    You will enter a place where everyone can harm you. This is the real way how a vampire tv show should have be done, great! Hope there will be a chapter 2-3-4...
  21. Nov 6, 2014
    It takes a few episodes to get going, but OMG. This show is so good and criminally underrated. Easily my favourite show on TV right now and probably only second to Game of Thrones as favourite show of all time. It is kinda similar to the Walking Dead but the monsters pose a MUCH better threat and it is not bogged down but set rules as surprises, mysteries and twists a plenty. Like theIt takes a few episodes to get going, but OMG. This show is so good and criminally underrated. Easily my favourite show on TV right now and probably only second to Game of Thrones as favourite show of all time. It is kinda similar to the Walking Dead but the monsters pose a MUCH better threat and it is not bogged down but set rules as surprises, mysteries and twists a plenty. Like the end of Episode 4 really knocked my socks off. The main character is a bit of a drip but aside from that it has Walder Frey decapitating Vampires with a walking stick sword and a silver shooting nail gun. I mean come on, this just writes itself. Expand
  22. Nov 4, 2014
    The Strain may have cliche characters and not the greatest script of all time, it still offers the audience some great vampire action scenes. The episodes can be a little up and down though.
  23. Oct 28, 2014
    The Strain is a fresh take on the vampire apocalypse we all fear and love. From the always innovative and twisted mind of Guirrelmo Del Toro, The Strain is the best popcorn horror entertainment on television (FX Network). If you love B-movie antics, visceral action, terrifying creatures and humorously disgusting scenes then this show is what you've been waiting for!
  24. Oct 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The problem with Zombie-like - Vampire-like TV or Movie themes, is that it is been there for a very long time, some writers and directors pushed our expectations by introducing twists to what we know to make it engaging e.g. walking dead (Gruesome Season 1) and WWZ - kind of.
    The strain attempts to play on that same tune by introducing Vampires to a Zombie themed series, albeit the acting mostly is good, the scenes are entertaining, the flashback are great, overall the story is not that surprising and when an episode reaches a high climax , it suddenly loses it and replace the climax with a little disappointment. Take the Master, who looked very scary but once they showed us his full face you think, damn that's one awful make up, another area is where he seems extremely powerful but then he is not (season finale showdown) and what with the rewind scene, that was so lame. Same applies to the Zompires who can be extremely tough, yet you can escape them, bash them, shoot them, overpower them with bare hands.
    The characters are cool, although their development from what they are to what they become is too quick.
    Overall, it is good to watch, but not as engaging as I expected.
    The other disappointment is New York city, you really can't really feel the disastrous impact considering the 100s of turned citizens
  25. Oct 24, 2014
    It's a decent show. Not great by any means, but it's an enjoyable way to waste an hour. It's campy at times, and the lead actor is, simply put, bad. Still, the supporting cast (especially David Bradley) is strong and most of the effects outside of the Master's look are pretty good. There are also some genuinely scary moments. It's a quality summer show.
  26. Oct 11, 2014
    It's really just a long-form B movie. The technical craftsmanship is generally good (though the main bad guy was pretty underwhelming), but characters can be stilted and stereotyped and plot developments are frequently ludicrous.

For example, the actor playing the lead, a CDC doctor, is quite credible and interesting, but dialogue mistakes at times clearly betray the writers' ignorance of medicine. The vampires are a convincing piece of makeup and special effects work, but they'll kill people instantly or spend ten minutes flailing around trying to catch a fifth grader depending on what the plot demands.

On the whole, it works not because it is great TV, but simply because it hasn't been done before. A long-form serialized B movie with better production values is not a bad thing. Their take on vampires is interesting, if nonsensical (they keep talking about a vampiric virus, but apparently that in turn is carried by supernatural worms; what kind of infection is this?). Their unoriginal use of Nazis inspires sighs, but the Holocaust survivor turned badass old guy is fun. In the end, the horror tropes; the scares and gore, the lessons the characters learn, the moments of clarity, seem to be enough to make the series' flaws worth bearing. If you're a fan of this sort of thing, anyway.
  27. Oct 9, 2014
    The Strain is a mostly solid, monster-filled extravaganza that hits almost every level a new TV show should. The conflict at hand is appealing, and unlike other shows in this genre, the involvement of the main characters feels more essential to the context of the world.

The characters is where the Strain falters a bit. Three of the characters: Vasily, Nora, and Gus are truly interested characters that you can't help but fall in love with. The rest of the characters go from "ok" to annoying. The futility of the characters is less present than in other shows, but I truly hope we don't have to see some of them in the future.

A horror TV-show is nothing without solid special effects and aesthetics. Here's where you see Del Toro's touch. Every shot feels like a painting exploring different forms of lighting and coloring. The special effects are particularly great and mostly practical. In fact, the few occasions the effects are not done practically they feel out of place.

The Strain has a bright future as it stands right now. I hope FX continues the good work and begins to take more risks in their upcoming events.
  28. Oct 9, 2014
    The acting is subpar, the plot is a mess with plotholes big as the Grand Canyon, characters are from average to a painful train wreck.
    It´s not the worst show ever, the production value is okej but it just lacks credibility and suspense.
    I love Kevin Durand and he is a good actor but in this he feels like a parody of him self with a crapy accent. There are few redeeming qualities of
    There are few redeeming qualities of this show. This show is in many ways very similar to Helix which also have crapy actors, bad script, plot holes unlikable characters but at least it had some suspense. You wanted to know what happened next, in the season final of the strain I got so bored I fast forward.

This could have bin a great show, the "jews" back story was great and was easily a 9 in terms of quality to bad the rest of the show is barley a 5 and the season final wasnt even a 2.

The "hacker" chick is a joke, she is painfully bad and mister "Holmes" is almost as bad.
  29. Oct 9, 2014
    The show doesn't provide a great amount of depth or thought provoking story lines. It is just fun to watch. Anything with vampires and a potential apocalypse starts off with a win/win. Add in some interesting characters and a decent plot and you have an entertaining show. This isn't a show where the next day you necessarily talk to other people about the episode and how intriguing itThe show doesn't provide a great amount of depth or thought provoking story lines. It is just fun to watch. Anything with vampires and a potential apocalypse starts off with a win/win. Add in some interesting characters and a decent plot and you have an entertaining show. This isn't a show where the next day you necessarily talk to other people about the episode and how intriguing it was, and what will happen next. It is a more "in the moment" show where it is just fun to watch because they keep the momentum fairly fast paced. Was a little disappointed at the look of The Master...kind of looks like a large Vampire Amphibian hybrid. Expand
  30. Oct 6, 2014
    I too was looking forward to this show. What a complete and utter disappointment it has been. The premise sounded great and I love a good thriller or zombie/vampire show. This show fails miserably on so many levels. It is not scary nor is it thrilling in the least. The plot is so nonsensical and unbelievable it borders on absurdity and it's hard not to see the whole thing as pure camp.I too was looking forward to this show. What a complete and utter disappointment it has been. The premise sounded great and I love a good thriller or zombie/vampire show. This show fails miserably on so many levels. It is not scary nor is it thrilling in the least. The plot is so nonsensical and unbelievable it borders on absurdity and it's hard not to see the whole thing as pure camp. This is like a mediocre B movie at best. Most if not all the characters are downright annoying. The biggest joke is when the supreme vampire/whatever appears. It was the most anti-climatic and laughable scene in the entire season. My Maltese is scarier than that thing. The flashbacks to Nazi Germany is pure filler and a snooze fest. At least with The Walking Dead, or movies like 28 Days Later, there is some suspension of disbelief. The idea that the main character is taking his son with him to kill the vampires is absurd. This band of nitwits appear to be the only people in all of New York (or the world for that matter) to care that there is a plague and threat to turn humans into vampires. I can't believe all of the positive reviews as well as the fact that it has been renewed for another season. I feel like I am watching a different show than these people. I think a lot of the success of the show must rest on the blood and gore factor. The only reason I kept watching it was the hope it would grow on me. Never happened. Expand
  31. Oct 6, 2014
    What can I say, an easy way to blow off a Sunday until Walking Dead returns. That said, think Salems Lot (not only in visual but plot line minus the CDC aspect) in NY and you have The Strain.

Lead character, Dr Forget-his-name-but-something-catchy alcoholic, divorced...irritating. The only good characters are the exterminator and the hacker...well the creepy german is decent...oh wait the man servant of the rich old guy, yeah he's good. Everyone else, meh.

Plot, story...again, if you want to waste a night and have something put you to sleep, this is your series!
  32. Oct 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high expectations for this show and the show definitely did not deliver them. I thought this show would be good, but it only turned out okay. I was very disappointed with this show. The show was billed as scary and disgusting, but it was not. The Walking Dead is more violent than this show and it's also better. The Strain has obvious writing flaws from the get go. The same things are happening over and over again. Nothing really changed throughout the season. It's just weak when I compare it to the other new shows I've seen this year. The dialogue for the most part is God-Awful. it is just pathetic. It happened in every episode and all of us hoped the dialogue would improve, but it did not. Most of the characters are really annoying and very hard to like. Eph for the most part has been a complete douche and don't get me talking about Nora. She's is just an annoying and useless **** Her mother was even more useless and thank god she got killed off. Abraham and Fet are clearly the characters to like and both are very interesting. The reveal of The Master was pathetic. He looked like a cheap toy and all of us were like LOL and HAHA. It's that bad and you would think they would come up with something better. He did not look scary one bit and it was so disappointing. The pacing is uneven and is really choppy between scenes. Action scenes are very similar and do not bring much to the table. The most interesting thing about the show was Mr Quinlan, but he was only briefly seen in the season. The show would have done better if they had less episodes, The season was stretched with way too much filler. I heard book 2 and 3 are better, but we need new writers for the show. They are pretty bad and the show is the most disappointing show I've ever seen. Expand
  33. Oct 6, 2014
    I love Strain.Its very entertaining,full of suspense and I love all the characters.I might say story line is original youll never know whats coming next.More power:)
  34. Oct 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a sucker for any vampire or apocalyptic show and this fits the bill on both accounts. Vampires have invaded New York City and they're not the sparkly sexy vampires from "Twilight". These are hard core, fast moving, stinger spitting, vicious vampires. They're kinda a cross between vampires and zombies. Maybe we should call them vombies. Its up to the CDC (Eph and Nora), an old pawnbroker (Abe), a rat exterminator (Fet), a hacker (Dutch), and a con with a heart of gold (Gus) to save the world. We know a season 2 of "The Strain" is coming so dont expect any resolutions this year (which is fine with me since I want to see lots more of this world). One of the best characters on the show is Eichorst. His presence and delivery is excellent. You'll love to hate him.

I would have given "The Strain" a higher rating than "7" but some of the dialogue is so God awful that its laughable. And "The Strain" can you please get rid of Eph's toupee/rug/hairpiece? We all know its not real. It's like a small animal died on his head. It is distracting and I should be keeping an eye out for vampires instead. Also (SPOILER ALERT) I find the look of the Master to be not nearly as menacing as I had hoped. He looks like a big muppet dressed in black. I heard someone else describe him as "frog face" (which is perfect). And I'm still up late nights wondering where he gets those rings for his big giant fingers.
  35. Oct 3, 2014
    The show brings a mix of the "Walking Dead" and Morgan Freeman's "Outbreak".

I don't see many tv shows like this very often, so this is a very big factor in how I rate it.
  36. Oct 1, 2014
    This show initially started with so much promise but has failed me horribly as I continued to watch these episodes. The plot is the only thing that it had going for it but with horrible acting, lines, and predictable "un" twist it has gained a thumbs down from me. I was happy for FX with the first two episodes but downhill from there. The pilot is the only reason that it gets a 3 score butThis show initially started with so much promise but has failed me horribly as I continued to watch these episodes. The plot is the only thing that it had going for it but with horrible acting, lines, and predictable "un" twist it has gained a thumbs down from me. I was happy for FX with the first two episodes but downhill from there. The pilot is the only reason that it gets a 3 score but if not for that it would be in the negatives. Expand
  37. Sep 29, 2014
    Great twists on modern vampires. Have found this new series to be awesome. The writing is not outstanding but they accomplish what few other series have been able to and that is to be intriguing. The master vampire is quite hokey and unbelievable. That said the twist on the vampire epidemic is something original. A great out-of-the-box thinking. The cast seemed to pull things together andGreat twists on modern vampires. Have found this new series to be awesome. The writing is not outstanding but they accomplish what few other series have been able to and that is to be intriguing. The master vampire is quite hokey and unbelievable. That said the twist on the vampire epidemic is something original. A great out-of-the-box thinking. The cast seemed to pull things together and make them believable. Must say I look forward to this each week. Expand
  38. Sep 26, 2014
    *spoilers* Del Toro and company should be especially proud of episodes like in the gas station, However, for Fx's sake, I hope we get some relief from the female mother/daughter/hacker...they are all lame! Gore is fine, just need some real hotties like season 1 of The Walking Dead.
  39. Sep 23, 2014
    Series started off and had great potential however sadly it now feels like the episodes are being padded out to elongate the season. I am starting to lose interest in the characters and ultimately am losing interest in the series.

Expected better. Average.
  40. Sep 22, 2014
    I want to love this show SO badly -- del Toro's work hardly ever disappoints -- and to its credit, all the raw ingredients are right there. I'm just not 100% sure it's found its pacing (yet!) as an episodic TV show. I can see that it wants to serve up some mixture of poignant character insight and seat-squirming action. However, in this first season I feel that the excessive flashing backI want to love this show SO badly -- del Toro's work hardly ever disappoints -- and to its credit, all the raw ingredients are right there. I'm just not 100% sure it's found its pacing (yet!) as an episodic TV show. I can see that it wants to serve up some mixture of poignant character insight and seat-squirming action. However, in this first season I feel that the excessive flashing back and fragmentary bouncing around has diluted its success in both areas. Some of the episodes are a very stylish, engaging mix of horror, suspense, and character insight -- and the pilot showed so much of del Toro's signature style (probably because he directed it). So I'm very hopeful that things will come together in an impressive way, if only given enough time. The show runners just need to smooth out the pacing from one installment to another, as individual threads begin (thankfully) merging together in a more focused direction. Still hanging with it ... Expand
  41. Sep 22, 2014
    This show is the most entertaining, addictive series of the Summer Season.

Due in large part to the influence of the Cinema Master of Horror, Guillermo Del Toro, the high production values make this a story that you eagerly tune in to every Sunday on FX. The terrible creatures that threaten humanity fascinate us due in large part to their quasi-personality of plague giver and
    This show is the most entertaining, addictive series of the Summer Season.

The terrible creatures that threaten humanity fascinate us due in large part to their quasi-personality of plague giver and vampire. Make no doubt, these creatures are loathsome, dark hunters without a scintilla of remorse. Nor is there even a hint of physical allure in their changed bodies. Horribly, they want only to feed and infect loved ones and any one who gets in their way. The combined CGI and acting is brilliant, making you cringe and jump with each vampire attack.

Ultimately, it is the surviving humans and their stories that balance out the horrors they have to face. It is this balance that makes us care for the survivors and it's ultimately the tension that is created by the suspense of what is around the corner for them and will they survive it or fall prey to the plague of rapacious vampires that now populates their world.

Will a boy who is a son help his father locate his mother before she's infected? Can an East Harlem thug deal effectively with this infection that threatens his world? Can a Holocaust survivor, with his past in dealing with this plague, organize/train a rag tag team of vampire hunters? More important, can the vampire hunters stop the plague?

Much like The Walking Dead, this show is beautifully cast. In large part, it is the actors who enthrall us, who entertain us. I did not notice a single weakness in the cast.

The writers creatively explore the varied human stories and do it with the style that embraces this epic story with enough variation to continue to delight. Like the survivors come to know, there is no comfort in a sure thing. Tragedy or happiness is guaranteed no one.
  42. Sep 21, 2014
    Finally, a dark horror series that isn't surreal and ghostly! It's just a bloody good time. This is my first review on here and I'm urged to do it just to help the odds that this series continues.
  43. Sep 18, 2014
    The Strain was super hyped for me, I was interested in it the moment it was announced, and I am glad it lived up to the hype. The plot is very interesting and features a wide array of characters that can branch off into different, intersecting story lines. The acting is very good as well thanks to the experienced cast. There is violence but it's spread out, The show runners are clearlyThe Strain was super hyped for me, I was interested in it the moment it was announced, and I am glad it lived up to the hype. The plot is very interesting and features a wide array of characters that can branch off into different, intersecting story lines. The acting is very good as well thanks to the experienced cast. There is violence but it's spread out, The show runners are clearly more focused on the story aspect than the gore aspect and that's a good thing.

Overall, It's definitely a front runner for best new show of the year. It's been very entertaining so far and I can't wait to see what happens next.
  44. Sep 18, 2014
    Incredibly disappointing. Zero originality. Every single scene is lifted from some much better movie or tv show and the characters are likewise recycled and bland. If you're in your early 20's and haven't really watched a lot of movies this show might by okay, but for me the plagiarism was so rife as to be insulting. Zero entertainment value, which is exactly the rating I'm giving it.
  45. Sep 17, 2014
    I can't believe I am giving three stars to a Guillermo Del Toro-backed show. I am a fan of all of his movies and enjoyed the first book in the trilogy (the second and third were essentially action movie scripts that don't translate well to the book medium). But the book wasn't adapted skillfully to TV ... it doesn't hold the chills and intrigue that the book provided with its mystery ofI can't believe I am giving three stars to a Guillermo Del Toro-backed show. I am a fan of all of his movies and enjoyed the first book in the trilogy (the second and third were essentially action movie scripts that don't translate well to the book medium). But the book wasn't adapted skillfully to TV ... it doesn't hold the chills and intrigue that the book provided with its mystery of the silent airplane and mysterious virus slowly unveiled.

The special effects range from "very cool" to "very cheesy." The head vampire's, or "Master's," coffin and his swirling cape are well done, and so is the scene where a main character "vamp" that begins an episode as he literally puts on his face. The big reveal of the face of the master in episode 8 is anti-climactic and absurd. If you remember "bat boy" from the now defunct Weekly World News, it's what he would look like if he were real and older (for kicks, google the image and see if I'm right).

The vampire "biology" is cool in principle (as in the book) but is made slightly ludicrous with the mediocre effects that make the long stinger protrusion more phallic than threatening. Del Toro does a better job in Blade 2 where he started playing around with the idea. The best "vampire acting" so far is a semi-major character that changes in episode 10. This episode has a "Walking Dead" feel to it and as such is one of the better ones.

If you watch this as a campy throw-back to some of the creepy shows of the 70's/80's/90's ('Salem's Lot comes to mind) you will enjoy it more. This was best portrayed in an early episode with a French girl that was a survivor from the airplane who returns home. The scene where she reunites with her father will likely become "that scene freaked me out!" for many teens (Danny Glick scratching at his brother's 2nd story window in the mist was that scene for me in 'Salem's Lot).

If the series is renewed it could get very monotonous as it follows the next two books. Vampires "snake-biting" and chasing our protagonists will get dull and old very quickly. Ultimately, the show will need to have some creativity weaved into it to make it entertaining over the long haul.
  46. Sep 11, 2014
    Cheesy but addictive , i think what keeps me wanting more is that i really love some of the character white on the couterpart the rest of them are completly dull , good production overall, the fight scene could be more Épic in my opinion but who am i to juge anyway
  47. Sep 9, 2014
    Great show! It started off a little slow (I'll admit that I was a little on the fence there at the beginning as I was a little too skeptical) but the plot is getting thicker and jucier. Each episode I watch moves me into wanting more of it then and there.

Lots of originality and lets be honest, who isn't obsessed with outbreak shows and movies? :)
  48. Sep 9, 2014
    Guillermo del Toro can be a master of horror. Yet "The Strain" will not work (maybe because it´s in prime time where there is less gore and not so much bad words) - It dwells far from the book and DarkHorse´s Comics.
    It´s a shame, but i truly believe this one is gonna be obliterated when the new season of Waling Dead airs up again.
  49. Sep 1, 2014
    I imagine most people have seen the pilot at this point. Gotta admit the first 2/3 of that was god awful with regards to dialogue, character development, and plot. However, the last 1/3 grabbed my attention and made me give it another shot. I'm totally hooked at this point. There are frequent moments of very hokey dialogue and plot conveniences. But this show is a total guiltyI imagine most people have seen the pilot at this point. Gotta admit the first 2/3 of that was god awful with regards to dialogue, character development, and plot. However, the last 1/3 grabbed my attention and made me give it another shot. I'm totally hooked at this point. There are frequent moments of very hokey dialogue and plot conveniences. But this show is a total guilty pleasure show - I know it will never get an Emmy nod (LOL) but it has enough of a story line that keeps me tuning in every week and occasionally some surprising twists Expand
  50. Sep 1, 2014
    Sorry, critics, I love this show, it is very edgy and different. Big Fan in Boston. It is super scary and well worth watching for those who love thrills and terror.
  51. Aug 25, 2014
    Solid horror show. I love the design behind the vampires. The only real weakness of this show is that it is rather predictable and has a typical plot formula - baddies show up, nobody believes the crazy old man, the authorities do nothing, etc.
  52. Aug 25, 2014
    I always find it interesting, no, perplexing, how it is we watch, presumably, the same productions, but come away with what are sometimes diametrically opposed assessments. The media pros, with one notable exception, are enthusiastically endorsing "The Strain", which must itself BE a strain. Maybe it's p.c. endorsement of Del Toro, whether what he does is good, bad, or indifferent.I always find it interesting, no, perplexing, how it is we watch, presumably, the same productions, but come away with what are sometimes diametrically opposed assessments. The media pros, with one notable exception, are enthusiastically endorsing "The Strain", which must itself BE a strain. Maybe it's p.c. endorsement of Del Toro, whether what he does is good, bad, or indifferent. Maybe? Anyway, my fellow reviewers who discerned this series trite, contrived, derivative, lame, predictable, often ridiculous, and, well, strained, are spot on. Either the creative and talented people who can produce high quality entertainment are all on vacation in Martha's Vineyard, or there aren't any available because they're otherwise occupied. Yes, there are a few, too few, TV productions of high quality, with intelligent, witty, clever, and creative scripts, deft direction, and believable, professional acting, but, alas, "The Strain" definitely is not among them. Expand
  53. Aug 18, 2014
    Awesome! Some say the show is childish, but I don't care. It takes itself completely seriously, and that is what makes it worth watching. This from a diehard fan of the televised Salem's Lot. You gonna tell James Mason not to take his henchman role too seriously? I think not. The guy playing Eichhorst is so scary, he's terrific. No matter how ridiculous it may get, I think theAwesome! Some say the show is childish, but I don't care. It takes itself completely seriously, and that is what makes it worth watching. This from a diehard fan of the televised Salem's Lot. You gonna tell James Mason not to take his henchman role too seriously? I think not. The guy playing Eichhorst is so scary, he's terrific. No matter how ridiculous it may get, I think the Strain serves as a much-needed corrective to all the simpy, sappy and outrageously romanticized vampire porn out there. No hotties here, just monsters. Cool. Expand
  54. Aug 13, 2014
    The show is canpy as hell and fun but I fear that the ultimate reveal will be less interesting that I've been hoping for. The lead actor who played one of the best characters on house of cards is really the only thing that is holding the show together. Also I should say that Guillermo Deltoro's creatures are tremendous.
  55. Aug 10, 2014
    I have just watched Episode 1 and have 3 more on DVR to watch. I am favorably impressed. Much of the first episode was cliched, much was original. Give it a 9 and let's see. Again, I am favorably impressed.
  56. Aug 8, 2014
    Well made and well thought out show with just a few flaws to fix to make it a classic.
    The acting is fairly well done and the creepy factor is fully in place but huge chunks of it are predictable to the point that you can get bored with it.

The main issues are with tracking the characters and their relationships....unlike the walking dead where every person is a fully realized individual a lot of the characters in The Strain are interchangeable and some of the plot points are implied but not explicitly explained where the average person will get what is going on.

They shouldn't dumb it down by any means...they should simply make it where the average viewer who isn't used to this kind of entertainment being shown over a long period of time can keep the plot points straight
  57. Aug 5, 2014
    This show is an insult to the intelligence of every television viewer. With a plot line so predicable and cliche characters, it is outstanding that this show has such a large fanbase. It is mindless television that was sloppily written and could have been done better with a room of twisted, hormonal teenagers.
  58. Aug 4, 2014
    The back story has a bigger promise than the current focus on the lead protagonist and his life as Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Eph). It is the simplicity (or laziness) of the infrastructure that could potentially weaken the series in using this typical work-obsessed male lead through the usual stereotypes with a broken marriage and adoring son. Add in the ex-mistress as his sidekick whoThe back story has a bigger promise than the current focus on the lead protagonist and his life as Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Eph). It is the simplicity (or laziness) of the infrastructure that could potentially weaken the series in using this typical work-obsessed male lead through the usual stereotypes with a broken marriage and adoring son. Add in the ex-mistress as his sidekick who fixes his tie and his duplicitous co-worker who plies him with milk and caters to his every need and they have created a one dimensional typified narcissistic character. In building someone up with a god complex they could have least make him likeable.

Although visually interesting, why use a NYC backdrop, maybe a remote rural location would have been more interesting (or am I simply influenced by the tension in the rural outback of the Jeepers Creepers milieu).

In sum it’s the acting that is the missing link in this series not the story. David Bradley’s character is the only primary lynchpin that gels the interest in the story together and am looking forward to finding out more about him and his connection with the mysterious blood-thirsty coffin-bound parasite. Personally I would prefer less on the relationship drama and more on the unfolding horror story.
  59. Jul 31, 2014
    Guliermo Del Toro and Chuck hogan are an amazing creator of monsters but not better then stephen king. the strain is something we have never seen this in vampires, science fiction before in this generation i am glad this not some sort of Twlight movie . its awesome. del toro and hogan are creative. they should be proud of what they creative. i can't wait to watch episode 4 or 5 whateverGuliermo Del Toro and Chuck hogan are an amazing creator of monsters but not better then stephen king. the strain is something we have never seen this in vampires, science fiction before in this generation i am glad this not some sort of Twlight movie . its awesome. del toro and hogan are creative. they should be proud of what they creative. i can't wait to watch episode 4 or 5 whatever keep the series going make season 2 plz. grade A+ Expand
  60. Jul 30, 2014
    Ah, another vampire series. That was to be expected.
    But this time Guillermo del Toro is on board so you hope
    for something better than the rest of the lot, right? Well, don't have your hopes up too high. The show looks good, some ok shockers, but that's about it. After three episodes, the series biggest flaw, in my view, is it's pacing. It slowly tries to raise the sense of
    Ah, another vampire series. That was to be expected.
    But this time Guillermo del Toro is on board so you hope
    for something better than the rest of the lot, right?

Well, don't have your hopes up too high.
    The show looks good, some ok shockers, but that's about it.

After three episodes, the series biggest flaw, in my view, is it's pacing.
    It slowly tries to raise the sense of threat for the viewers,
    as if the viewers didn't know that it's about vampires.

But of course, everybody knows what it's about and what will happen.
    As I wrote in my 'Extant' review, what has happened in 3-4 episodes would
    have taken half an hour in a movie.
    If I get impatient on my sofa, as with this show, it's not a good sign.

Next problem: originality of images.
    You can't reinvent the whole vampire thing and it's not what I expected,
    but do those vampires have to suck blood from their victims like the
    reapers in 'Blade 2'?
    Why do they have pointy vampire teeth and yet another organ inside of them
    that does the biting and sucking?
    Yeah, it looks more spectacular but we have seen this before.

And, of course, all the stereotypes.
    We have, *sigh*, THE GERMAN VAMPIRE! And you can bet your sweet behind that he was
    a nazi back then and brought the now old guy with the silver sword into a concentration camp.
    Not that I know that, I just made that up, but what else would you expect?
    So be prepared for some flashbacks with him wearing a nazi uniform.

We have the loving father, Dr. Goodweather, who is all over his head trying to make
    sense of what has happened while fighting for his son in a custody case.
    Really? Family issues, custody cases in a vampire series?
    I get it, the purpose is to make one of the main characters a real human being, but just feels like
    another stereotype.
    And it also feels like the show is playing for time because there's not enough plot here.

We have the traitor, who helps the vampires, because his wife needs medical treatment.
    I wonder if you heard that one before!

What about the characters?
    Not memorable, not interesting enough.

And, lastly, since the show takes so much time to develop when we all know what
    happens in vampire stories, so many times it feels too predictable.

Some say the dialogue is terrible, I wouldn't go so far, but I surely would call it
    utterly forgettable.

So, all in all, the show is too slow, too predictable, too unimaginative, not enough suspense and
    the characters are not that interesting. We have pretty much not enough of nearly everything. It shares some of the problems with 'Extant', but the latter is more promising and less problem-ridden. I don't know if I will stick around, but please, at least pick up the pace!
  61. Jul 30, 2014
    I read all the books, and they get worse and worse as they go along with ever more ridiculous and unrealistic scenarios, such as flimsy puny humans out muscling vampires and running away successfully and all the different idiotic things that are needed for the humans to do well against vastly superior forces. So basically, I'm really worried that these first episodes are as good as itI read all the books, and they get worse and worse as they go along with ever more ridiculous and unrealistic scenarios, such as flimsy puny humans out muscling vampires and running away successfully and all the different idiotic things that are needed for the humans to do well against vastly superior forces. So basically, I'm really worried that these first episodes are as good as it will get. There are I'm guessing, about six seasons worth of stuff in the books.

Having said that, these first few episodes have been pretty good, well episode 1 and 2. episode 3 is fraying at the edges with terribly predictable scenes coming in every now and then... but... what the heck, it's gory escapist fun, sadly with much more in common than a hollywood movie where we are treated like idiots than a classy american tv show like true detective.
  62. Jul 29, 2014
    whenever i watch a pilot and get the feeling this show doesn't belong to my universe... i'm normally 100% sure i will not follow it... i had this feeling with The Strain, it has a Carpenter vibe at times, but the main character and his gimmicks and overrated dramatized personal life... is just pathetic,i cant stand people dealing with sons and daughters that feels like a cartoonwhenever i watch a pilot and get the feeling this show doesn't belong to my universe... i'm normally 100% sure i will not follow it... i had this feeling with The Strain, it has a Carpenter vibe at times, but the main character and his gimmicks and overrated dramatized personal life... is just pathetic,i cant stand people dealing with sons and daughters that feels like a cartoon impersonation rather a real life story... it's really hard to incorporate kids in dramas without being to simple or plane childish Expand
  63. Jul 28, 2014
    I was hoping for a good horror show. The few short trailers that aired on FX before it came out looked really good. 3 episodes in and the show has done nothing but disappoint me. The vampire/monster designs are awesome and despite the lack of any sort of fear I do see potential here. It's just a shame that for every compelling element the show has so far, it squanders it in the worstI was hoping for a good horror show. The few short trailers that aired on FX before it came out looked really good. 3 episodes in and the show has done nothing but disappoint me. The vampire/monster designs are awesome and despite the lack of any sort of fear I do see potential here. It's just a shame that for every compelling element the show has so far, it squanders it in the worst possible ways.

None of the characters have yet to grab me in any way, and the main character "Eph" is a type I find completely unlikable. It doesn't help that the majority of the acting here is pretty awful and that the dialog is often horrendous. There are certain characters who are beginning to show potential, but they hardly get enough screen time.

Every now and then something cool will happen on-screen, usually when the show is focusing on the infected characters changing, but so far the show is nothing but wasted potential. After only 3 episodes the show has proven to be both un-scary and poorly written. Maybe the show will get better as it progresses, but as of right now I can't recommend it to anyone.
  64. Jul 28, 2014
    3 episodes in and so far I have been looking forward to seeing the next one. It has that early Fringe scifi investigation feel the way the story unfolds. Then you have that comic book like super natural monsters and characters. I do wish the acting and camera work could do better. Anyway, if you like scifi comic book type shows, it is a good bet that you would also like this show.
  65. Jul 27, 2014
    I can't believe I sat through two episodes of this show.

The pilot had a great premise, but the execution was pretty lame. I watched the second episode, hoping the writers would rally and bring the show up to the level promised by the concept presented in the pilot. Sadly, I was disappointed. Just what we need, yet another walking dead / vampire show. I had high hopes
    I can't believe I sat through two episodes of this show.

The pilot had a great premise, but the execution was pretty lame.

Sadly, I was disappointed.

Just what we need, yet another walking dead / vampire show.

I had high hopes based upon the previews....
  66. Jul 27, 2014
    Production and acting of the highest quality cannot cover the flimsy concept and cut-and-paste script. This is exactly the role that Berry does well (see, Cloud Atlas) if it weren't for the awful screenplay. I was looking for something in the X-Files, Fringe bracket but this one just adds to the growing pile of generic sci-fi/sci-fantasy out there. Where are the good creators these days -Production and acting of the highest quality cannot cover the flimsy concept and cut-and-paste script. This is exactly the role that Berry does well (see, Cloud Atlas) if it weren't for the awful screenplay. I was looking for something in the X-Files, Fringe bracket but this one just adds to the growing pile of generic sci-fi/sci-fantasy out there. Where are the good creators these days - Spielberg who? Expand
  67. Jul 25, 2014
    I really can't decide if I like this show or not. There are cool aspects to it, when it comes to the story between the old guy and the main monster... which I'm assuming is a Dracula type monster. There's definitely some big history between these characters that I find intriguing... As far as a horror show, I don't mind some of the hokie-ness. But then they throw in all this serious dramaI really can't decide if I like this show or not. There are cool aspects to it, when it comes to the story between the old guy and the main monster... which I'm assuming is a Dracula type monster. There's definitely some big history between these characters that I find intriguing... As far as a horror show, I don't mind some of the hokie-ness. But then they throw in all this serious drama with the father work-a-holic who's fighting over joint custody of his kid with a ex-wife that doesn't seem to really have a problem with the ex-husband. Then you throw in some serious emotional problems from the father, when you see him in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. This show needs to make up its mind on what it is going to be. Fun goofy horror show or serious drama. Mixing the two is not working for me. I'm hoping for the fun monster show. Expand
  68. Jul 25, 2014
    Absolutely boring pilot.
    So far I could only see the pilot. But the bored already after the opening credits. Nothing against vampires or the genre but that's presented so lame. The actors do not sell well in the series and the dialogues are just stupid Bla Bla.
  69. Jul 23, 2014
    Difícil hoje em dia encontrar uma série verdadeiramente original. Quase tudo passa necessariamente pela recriação ou recombinação de elementos vistos em outras produções. No caso, "The Strain" funciona bem e trás elementos que certamente podem ser associados a filmes como "A Hora do Espanto", "Alien", mesmo com o personagem Voldemor de "Harry Potter", entre tantos outros. O que a tornaDifícil hoje em dia encontrar uma série verdadeiramente original. Quase tudo passa necessariamente pela recriação ou recombinação de elementos vistos em outras produções. No caso, "The Strain" funciona bem e trás elementos que certamente podem ser associados a filmes como "A Hora do Espanto", "Alien", mesmo com o personagem Voldemor de "Harry Potter", entre tantos outros. O que a torna muito boa, ao menos nos dois primeiros episódios já lançados, é o enredo um pouco mais complexo que não permite compreender ao certo a natureza da ameaça e a atmosfera de suspense que isso gera (algo em falta). Expand
  70. Jul 22, 2014
    This is a fun show if you like the vampire genre/ zombie stuff. Its nothing ground breaking but it is entertaining and the intellectual mistakes do not pull you out of the story unless maybe you are really anal. The visuals are great though with makeup and visual effects being really well done. Characters are well done and acted as well I like them all so far and hope this show continuesThis is a fun show if you like the vampire genre/ zombie stuff. Its nothing ground breaking but it is entertaining and the intellectual mistakes do not pull you out of the story unless maybe you are really anal. The visuals are great though with makeup and visual effects being really well done. Characters are well done and acted as well I like them all so far and hope this show continues on this entertaining path. Expand
  71. Jul 21, 2014
    It has been a long time since i ve watched something so predictable and lame as this pilot. Bad dialogues, poor scenarios, predictable story and plot lines, mediocre acting. Definitely not worth any more time spent on this.
    Personally disappointed as the man behind this is Guillermo del Toro!
  72. Jul 21, 2014
    Ridiculous, cliched, every stereotype represented - This show makes every obvious choice. The dialogue is unnatural, acting and writing is abysmal. Episode one was so appalling I signed up for a metacritic account just to vent. Would have turned it off after the first minute but my husband, who has far more tolerance for bad shows than I, insisted on continuing... and even he ended upRidiculous, cliched, every stereotype represented - This show makes every obvious choice. The dialogue is unnatural, acting and writing is abysmal. Episode one was so appalling I signed up for a metacritic account just to vent. Would have turned it off after the first minute but my husband, who has far more tolerance for bad shows than I, insisted on continuing... and even he ended up hating it. Expand
  73. Jul 20, 2014
    I can't believe I wasted an hour watching the pilot. I probably would have really liked it if I was 12. The futuristic sound effect when the CDC guy was texting his son made me laugh. Overall, it was too "comic-booky" for my taste, and I didn't find any of the characters very relatable. I'm really surprised to see so many positive reviews, both from the critics and users. I don't mindI can't believe I wasted an hour watching the pilot. I probably would have really liked it if I was 12. The futuristic sound effect when the CDC guy was texting his son made me laugh. Overall, it was too "comic-booky" for my taste, and I didn't find any of the characters very relatable. I'm really surprised to see so many positive reviews, both from the critics and users. I don't mind campy humor in sci-fi; however, in this case it was obviously unintended. Expand
  74. Jul 20, 2014
    I'm a big Del Toro fan and for the most part this series delivers as a summer popcorn thriller. It does have some problems, including clunky dialogue and smart people doing incredibly dumb things to advance the plot. That being said, there are plenty of moments of genuine suspense and the vampiric creatures are fantastic, especially the master. I was on the fence between giving it a 7 orI'm a big Del Toro fan and for the most part this series delivers as a summer popcorn thriller. It does have some problems, including clunky dialogue and smart people doing incredibly dumb things to advance the plot. That being said, there are plenty of moments of genuine suspense and the vampiric creatures are fantastic, especially the master. I was on the fence between giving it a 7 or 8, but I'm rounding up just for the fact the show has made vampires terrifying again. Expand
  75. Jul 20, 2014
    Straight to the front of the line. This show is a creepy, scary, eerie, mind altering drug of a horror show. It leaves you feeling uneasy. The acting and script are both very strong with the sets and atmosphere top notch and easily keeps up. It is shocking how many sci-fi and horror themes are being released these days, but it is a fresh and likeable trend. LOVE IT
  76. Jul 20, 2014
    I really like this show so far. Once again the del Toro bros don't disappoint. Memorable characters, a good mix of action and intrigue, as well as very good writing and production make this a future hit in my eyes.
  77. Jul 17, 2014
    Just with the first cap, they got me.

It's like a mixture of Resident Evil (that german gray guys is totally Wesker!) and the vampires and feeling of Blade 2 (Del Toro did this movie, I think) and the result is quite solid.

Give it a try, and let's wait to see if the rest of the season keeps the good work!
  78. Jul 17, 2014
    Night Zero, the first episode is out and as in all TV shows, movies, animations … it is most important episode for me as watcher. Most of people will decide if they will continue to watch depending on pilot and from what we see in Night Zero, show might be better then impressions from trailer and spoilers.

Night Zero story: An commercial airliner lands and stands silent, cold and

Night Zero story:

An commercial airliner lands and stands silent, cold and dead, CDC agent Ephraim Goodweather investigates the plane to find that the passengers are infected by a vile plague. But …i am not going to spoil anymore.
    We already talked a bit about The Strain and i still cant say if plot is similar to some other materials, for now i see it as original plot but some might say different. I have read few articles on the net and most of them have first impression „it is story of blood thirsty vampires“ … hmm for me that creature from coffin was more like death god. Ok it sucked blood but what the hell was that movement, it almost vanished like ghost. Guillermo del Toro brought some of his mystery world in series, you can see a lot of that in Pan's Labrynth, and it is good thing that add some more intrigue in story. While plot seams straightforward, we are set in middle of game of chess. Ephraim Goodweather still don't see that he was being played by people close to him, thus he is just a pawn in bigger game that has roots in past. First episode left so much questions opened that need to be filled up with information, what is that creature, who organized escape and how will Eph fight all that wicked things.

Acting was good, there is lot of characters involved that tells me plot will be expanded and not so focused only on one person or two. Next episode is called The Box and will be aired Sun. Jul. 20 at 10:00 pm on FX.
  79. Jul 16, 2014
    Pretty much everything i was expecting from the talented Del Toro. The acting was sensationally solid, no character was to bland or boring, the pasting was perfect, the atmosphere was thrilling, all in all it looks like its going to be a very solid series.

80. Jul 16, 2014
    Great vampire show, with plenty of gore and horror and enough distance from Twilight, to mark it as summer's horror favorite !! Looking forward to the next episodes !
  81. Jul 16, 2014
    This is the first new show out in a long time that I'm still excited about after watching the first episode. They don't skimp on the effects or the gore. The characters are fairly believable and well acted keeping in mind this is a horror show. Has that seriously creepy feel to it that gives you the willies. Which is what a good horror show should do. It had a couple slower moments butThis is the first new show out in a long time that I'm still excited about after watching the first episode. They don't skimp on the effects or the gore. The characters are fairly believable and well acted keeping in mind this is a horror show. Has that seriously creepy feel to it that gives you the willies. Which is what a good horror show should do. It had a couple slower moments but before you can really get bored it moves on again to something interesting. So, I think it has a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to more episodes. The vampires in this are seem similar to the ones in the Brian Lumley Necroscope series. Expand
  82. Jul 15, 2014
    I was really looking forward to this show, but the pilot was so awful my wife and I didn't even finish it. The plot seemed promising but it was extremely childish. The characters didn't seem like real people and the acting was bad too. I am shocked to see so many positive reviews.
  83. Jul 15, 2014
    This was probably the best new show all year. At first, it felt as though it was going to be a really long movie, like some other new shows from this year, but later on, I dismissed that feeling. The characters were great, with few exceptions. I can't find anything wrong with this movie. It keeps viewers in the dark about what thing are, whether they're zombies, vampires, parasites, orThis was probably the best new show all year. At first, it felt as though it was going to be a really long movie, like some other new shows from this year, but later on, I dismissed that feeling. The characters were great, with few exceptions. I can't find anything wrong with this movie. It keeps viewers in the dark about what thing are, whether they're zombies, vampires, parasites, or all three. After seeing the first episode, I certainly hope that there are many more to come. Expand
  84. Jul 14, 2014
    This show has a lot of promise. The characters are interesting. The show, overall, is entertaining and brilliant, and this is just the pilot. I expect it to improve as we meet the vampires in their true form.
  85. Jul 14, 2014
    I think the pilot was well done, gives a lot of promise. The acting was good, although not the best. The score was excellent and the horror was well done, as well. I think this could become a new favorite of mine.
  86. Jul 14, 2014
    What an absolute waste of a good premise. I honestly expected more from FX and Guillermo Del Toro.
    Whoever was responsible for casting this show should be fired asap. The cast is basically a hodge-podge of B level actors from failed shows and no-name actors with boviously minimal acting experience.
    Couple that with horrible color/tin saturation, a generally cheesy, made-for-tv feel and music that tries way too hard to elicit emotion/fear and you have the formula for a really bad show.
    In today's world of high-quality television production dominated by IFC, Sundance, BBC, HBO and the likes, this abysmal showing from FX is really quite disappointing.
  87. Jul 14, 2014
    Por favor, PI LO TA SO DE PROPORCIONES BÍBLICAS ES LO DE THE STRAIN, le tenía fé pero ESTO SUPERÓ TODAS MIS EXPECTATIVAS.
    Yo creo que ya me voy a poner a leer en la que se basa la serie porque POR FAVORE, la curiosidad me está matando.
  88. Jul 14, 2014
    The show has a semi-interesting premise, but the dialogue and acting are just laughable. It's really hard to get the feeling of dread they want you to feel with Corey Stoll saying all of that cringey dialogue in that horrible toupee.
  89. Jul 14, 2014
    Was hoping this show was going to be good...didn't know it was about Vampires. Was hoping it was either a virus/pandemic or zombie type show. I gave it a shot but the acting was terrible...the plot was ridiculous...and staged gore scenes to entertain the young crowd. I stopped watching it when the #2 guy in CDC is under control of this mysterious Vampires R Us group...just ridiculousWas hoping this show was going to be good...didn't know it was about Vampires. Was hoping it was either a virus/pandemic or zombie type show. I gave it a shot but the acting was terrible...the plot was ridiculous...and staged gore scenes to entertain the young crowd. I stopped watching it when the #2 guy in CDC is under control of this mysterious Vampires R Us group...just ridiculous fantasy type show. Not based on any medical reality. Disappointed. Delete Expand
  90. Jul 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am going to have to agree with mjkelly93 on this one. In the first place, the writers (and the "star") are so stupid that they don't even know that "CDC" stands for "Centers FOR Disease Control," not "Centers OF Disease Control." I would say the acting was wooden, but that would be an insult to trees. The SFX are so cheesy that they are at least 10 year-old technology. The plot-line is older than I am, and I am almost as old as the crazy bearded guy. BTW, note to Ted Cruz: we really have to get serious about the immigration problem in America because lately several plots have called for nut jobs to risk the fate of the world so some family member could be cleared through US Immigration! Meanwhile, the star has an extreme "hottie" colleague hanging all over him, while back at home his estranged wife wants to make whoppie with Mr. Maytag. Jettison this turkey and watch Halle Berry on "Extant"! The only reason I gave this a "2" instead of a "0" is that something worse can always come along. Expand
  91. Jul 14, 2014
    It's a comic book. It's an old-fashioned, pretty unbelievable horror movie. It's really hokey. BUT, damn it, I like it!

The production values of this FX science fiction/horror show are very high. The acting ranges from acceptable to quite good. The writing, in the context of the strange things going on, is better than average. Some of the characters -- the German, the power-mad billionaire, the old man with the sword -- are very interesting characterizations. (Tiny spoiler here) Corey Stoll's character, NY Medical Director of the CDC, just might have given the old man a listen. Weird situations just might call for weird explanations.

But all-in-all, I liked it!
  92. Jul 14, 2014
    We all hated it. The dialogue was absolutely ridiculous and completely unrealistic. The acting was horrible. Only the old man had any realism to the character.

The way the people reacted to completely crazy situations was also just so unrealistic it was laughable at times. After watching the season of Fargo on FX, i was hoping FX was going to put together some more high quality

After watching the season of Fargo on FX, i was hoping FX was going to put together some more high quality story lines. Obviously, they prefer to stick with Sons of Anarchy type shows. Boring characters, terrible acting, and ridiculous character reactions and interactions.
  93. Jul 14, 2014
    The acting was pretty abysmal. And I had high hopes considering how great Corey Stoll was in House of Cards and the old guy who's Walder Frey ain't too shabby either. Sean Austin has always been kind of a hokey actor. But I think they were fairly limited by the dialogue. It's sparse and a bit comical. Even still I loved the premiere. The plot is just cool, the effects cool, I can't wait toThe acting was pretty abysmal. And I had high hopes considering how great Corey Stoll was in House of Cards and the old guy who's Walder Frey ain't too shabby either. Sean Austin has always been kind of a hokey actor. But I think they were fairly limited by the dialogue. It's sparse and a bit comical. Even still I loved the premiere. The plot is just cool, the effects cool, I can't wait to see what's next. I think this is going to go the way of the Walking Dead- forgettable characters and writing but an unforgettable show. Won't win any awards but will crush ratings. Expand
  94. Jul 14, 2014
    I'm extremely excited for the rest of the season. The first episode was sucking me in so much I couldn't look away. The characters may be dull but David Bradley is amazing and incredibly badass. I can't wait to see more of him.
  95. Jul 13, 2014
    Love it! As you have seen from the ads and previews, the show has a fair amount of gore and creepiness. But the real reason The Strain will make you think twice about venturing downstairs to your perfectly secure kitchen in the dark is that it taps into those things that haunt us in our core. It is hard to find a show that has it now. I used to get that scary anticipation a long timeLove it! As you have seen from the ads and previews, the show has a fair amount of gore and creepiness. But the real reason The Strain will make you think twice about venturing downstairs to your perfectly secure kitchen in the dark is that it taps into those things that haunt us in our core. It is hard to find a show that has it now. I used to get that scary anticipation a long time ago watching the Creature Double Features with my grandmother on Saturday afternoons. Salem's Lot and other novels/movies by Steven King have it (It has it!). You know that logically, there is no monster in the closet, but you are scared to open the door when you are alone at 3am. The characters are interesting and it isn't over the top cheesy like American Horror Story and The Walking Dead have become. I'm hooked. I'm also leaving my bathroom light on tonight. Expand
  96. Jul 13, 2014
    Very entertaining, an extended summer blockbuster.

It's good they get the CDC stuff out of the way in the first episode, it's not very authentic in many obvious ways -- but so what, no need for the bio-hazard suits after episode 1 ;-) Hopefully they'll wind up the story line in 1 season, or do 1 season for each book, and not drag it out -- it could easily turn into another Walking
    Very entertaining, an extended summer blockbuster.

Hopefully they'll wind up the story line in 1 season, or do 1 season for each book, and not drag it out -- it could easily turn into another Walking Dead, with luck it won't.
  97. Jul 13, 2014
    I love it already, the characters are attractive and compelling, the atmosphere is spooky and this thing could go in a lot of directions. Should be fun!

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Aug 7, 2014
    he series doesn’t have the best pacing, or the best dialogue (“Well, if the mountain won’t come to Muhammad, we’re going to the morgue”), and in some areas it doesn’t even try: never has a show set in New York but filmed in Toronto felt more like a show set in New York but filmed in Toronto. (When Astoria appeared, full of burning garbage cans, all of Queens raised its eyebrows.) And yet the show overflows with greasy satisfactions, simply because it commits so fully to its own goofiness.
  2. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Jul 14, 2014
    Ominous, creepy and utterly engaging, The Strain is like the perfect drive-in movie.
  3. Reviewed by: Cynthia Fuchs
    Jul 14, 2014
    The series takes some time to put this team together, even in the same area of New York. And while you’re waiting for that plot turn, you’re treated to a series of lurid images, from yucky to jolting.