The Tomorrow People : Season 1

• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 9, 2013
7.9

1. Feb 16, 2016
    This is good entertainment, if you don't want to bother yourself with more in-depth meaning. However, at the end of the series, they introduce new characters, that suddenly gets important roles for the outcome of the story. The show really consists of 5 people that we follow, and a hole bunch of other people we know nothing about. The tv-show with 100 reminds me of this kind of tv-show,This is good entertainment, if you don't want to bother yourself with more in-depth meaning. However, at the end of the series, they introduce new characters, that suddenly gets important roles for the outcome of the story. The show really consists of 5 people that we follow, and a hole bunch of other people we know nothing about. The tv-show with 100 reminds me of this kind of tv-show, however, they introduce important people meanwhile, so you are more keen as a viewer to accept these new characters. However here, they just put in new people from around the block like it was nothing, and make us accept that they can control the story. That's bs.... Expand
  2. Oct 23, 2014
    Concept of series is good. Special effects done really well. Acting is good for the young stars. The plot and believable nature of the actors is NOT good, however. A teen with powers is NOT going to hang around his barely functional family and try to hold school, job, life issues with stability. The antagonist uncle would not just keep his nephew around as a double agent. The tomorrowConcept of series is good. Special effects done really well. Acting is good for the young stars. The plot and believable nature of the actors is NOT good, however. A teen with powers is NOT going to hang around his barely functional family and try to hold school, job, life issues with stability. The antagonist uncle would not just keep his nephew around as a double agent. The tomorrow people would NOT allow themselves to be used by these people.

Just a terrible job of writing. Those that say this is a good series are being influenced by other equally bad shows. Twilight Zone episodes are more believable than this series.
  3. Oct 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is what happens when you take a good premise and write/play it out extremely poorly. The idea that superhumans are evolving from the general populace is intriguing, following the same line as the X-men series, but making it more plausible with the fact that the new generation all has the same powers. The secret government agency meant to contain them is another good plot point, as it is what would happen in real life. The part that makes this series unbearable (aside from the fact that the main character always has an annoyingly open-mouthed confused look on his face) is that there is no depth or thought put into anything storyline- or mechanics-related. The love interest part of the story is ambiguous at best with two possible girls for Stephen to fall in love with and the writers just coming up with a random third girl, an Ultra agent, out of nowhere to shove them aside. The big rule about Tomorrow People not being able to kill (which is genetically impossible, as your genes don't know what you're thinking, only how to keep your body running) is extremely flexible and blatantly used as a plot point without good lines to even help cover up what the writers are trying to do ("Our kind can't kill" is used at least twice in just about every episode after the exposition of that fact) with characters shooting each other, but not aiming at the heart or throwing someone off of them with no intention to kill, but still having the same adverse reaction to the act because the push-ee hits their head (outside of the line of sight of the pusher). Everyone seems to be an idiot: no uses of powers that could obviously fix a situation (i.e., not standing in front of gunmen who would gladly see you dead when you could just teleport or the fact that in some episodes, tracing a teleport is extremely easy, while in others it seems impossible, even though the fugitives run straight back to their home base) or being manipulated by people who are putting the least amount of effort into actually tricking them. Most of the series revolves around finding Stephen's father so that he can take the Tomorrow People to some sort of promised land, but when they find him, it's barely even explored at all (the TPs do some impossible crap to bring him back to them, but then through a series of inconsequential and utterly unnecessary plot points, can ultimately be ignored) ending with a sensation that I've wasted my time listening to false angst and bad script writing. The aforementioned Promised Land is really just the Tomorrow People tucking themselves into a paused interval of time that is somehow supposed to be better for their existence (you can't drink water that is frozen in time. it won't move. They'd all die within weeks) and Ultra, the agency trying to wipe the new species out, is ultimately trying for the same thing, somehow viewing the race that the main characters have evolved from as obsolete rather than as a source for more Tomorrow People. Those are just a few of the reasons why this series is meant for people who don't like to think as they watch a show, just want something with superpowers (me), or just need something as background noise. Really not worth watching if you actually care about what you are viewing. If you fit one of those three categories, this is a great show for you, but otherwise, don't waste your time. Expand
  4. Oct 14, 2014
    One moral of deciding to remake a television series is undeniably: Never....ever...insult the intelligences of your audience. If there is one theme that can be extracted from The Tomorrow People (version 2.0), it is the incessant need for the scriptwriters to assume you have been licking lead toys for no less than a decade.

The overall plot of the season 1 story has its appeal. And it

The overall plot of the season 1 story has its appeal. And it has a generally good cast to execute each role. Still, the script itself - not too mention the far too obvious advertising shots for Microsoft - beats the viewer down with repetitive yet watery jargon that unendingly differentiates the magically gifted Homo superior (The Tomorrow People) from Homo sapiens (wherever you might live). And this language is overly abundant in every single episode.

The over and inconsistent use of "our species", "paranormal", and even the series' namesake "The Tomorrow People" in the script might lead one to believe that the writers truly don't believe the viewer can understand that these gifted young acolytes of the Nintendo are somehow different from their non-gifted counterparts.

Add to this any number of scenes in which actors are glued to the exact same computer screen with the non-informative whirling DNA model, whether they are in the subway laboratory or in the Ultra stronghold and you get the feeling that the characters are merely play acting.

There are points in the season where the show displays its strengths in developing the characters constitutionally, emotionally, and hey - they even develop some cool superman punches. Moreover, a couple of the characters show solid traits of ambiguity, of their own ambivalence to their goals and means to achieve them. Mark Pellegrino is the perfect example of a character convincing enough to be believable and connect-worthy by the viewer. Of all of the cast, his execution is the most complex. And perhaps Aaron Yoo's portrayal of Russell may be viewed as the most human.

Other times the characters lose credibility due to the writers' need to have a main character shirtless - alot - even at awkward points (i.e. Boy fights to reach mysterious death machine. Boy gets in mysterious death machine to save world. Oh wait, for the machine to work the boy has to - yep you guessed it - take his shirt off. We aren't quite sure how important this is for the machine to work, or the plot for that matter. But the flesh score quota has at least been met for the episode. )

Convincing an audience that the characters are real and the plot and setting are legitimate, however fantastic, is no easy feat. But treating the audience like sex-appeal crazed Neanderthals (whatever that means) who are assumed to have no way of understanding a concept unless you wield a bludgeon and spell it out, is a good recipe for an unsustainable series.

This series had promise and was a good idea, but its execution became completely lost in the hype of pop-culture and commercial sponsorship. Perhaps a South Park parody on the series (and of the CW 'esque spin on storylines) might find better success.
  5. Oct 12, 2014
    I am a big sci-fi fan and i love anything remotely related to super powers, but even i cannot stand this horribly written show whose aim seems to be only to hire super models and show off their flesh! What would you do if you had the power to teleport anywhere, move anything with your mind, telepathy and the power to stop time? - The answer is to fight with your fists!!! As weird as it mayI am a big sci-fi fan and i love anything remotely related to super powers, but even i cannot stand this horribly written show whose aim seems to be only to hire super models and show off their flesh! What would you do if you had the power to teleport anywhere, move anything with your mind, telepathy and the power to stop time? - The answer is to fight with your fists!!! As weird as it may seem, that is the logic the writers use in this very badly written show! Even in many situations were they can use their powers, they are stupid enough to not to use them. Even if they do, they use it in the most unimaginative way possible to teleport sideways and use their fists again! If their aim is to just run for their lives, wouldn't it be a better option to just teleport far off from where the fight is going on? That is something for think about when you watch this most illogically written show for dumb people. I feel bad for wasting hours watching this show, it is no wonder they cancelled it! Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2014
    Best show I've ever seen and so gripping, entertaining and majorly addictive. I was devastated when it got cancelled as I love that show so much and hope they one day renew it again!
  7. Jun 11, 2014
    One of the better recent Sci-Fi series I've seen, shame it was cancelled after one season. Wee bit too much teen drama for my liking, but overall was very happy with it.
  8. Jun 5, 2014
    A great series we need a second as it has basically left us with a cliff hanger, a fabulous programme which kept keeping the audience entwined with new information and action everybody likes. WE NEED A SECOND SERIES!!!! Cwtv needs to know this!
  9. May 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is a bad version of mutant X or some marvel comics.The idea is great and some of the actors are ok.The story is intruiging after the first boring EPs.The problem is this teenstuff.Of course Stephen is a teen, got to admit.But they tried to show no blood, no hard action.Its all....soft.They cant kill, bad decision.The final EP is a good example for that.When the writers do EVERYTHING that no one dies.Even the shot that killed Cara is rewinded with Stephend power.WTF?This was so lame and random.The mainproblem for me with this is that the writers NEVER EVER know what aproach they want to try.Stpehens character is a great example.There is no developement for him.For example he accepts it after one EP that he "is not human".Why?No explanation.And thats the case for many many many things in the show.This show needed a much darker aproach with less stupid fighting, more morale decicions, less lovestory, more death and some character developement.Sorry guys, show got canceld for many very good reasons. Expand
  10. May 13, 2014
    If you're looking for an entertaining show, with abysmal plot,developed characters, great action etc., you will not find it in this here. The show is entertaining to a degree, but, the actors sometimes do a lousy job on the delivery of the lines, and I never once felt invested. I'm not even going to talk about the love interests in the here, just know that it's the worst part of the show,If you're looking for an entertaining show, with abysmal plot,developed characters, great action etc., you will not find it in this here. The show is entertaining to a degree, but, the actors sometimes do a lousy job on the delivery of the lines, and I never once felt invested. I'm not even going to talk about the love interests in the here, just know that it's the worst part of the show, and there is no logic to it. The overall plot is not very interesting, immersive and clever as the producers of the show think it is.
    The season is full of unnecessary plot twists and cliches that try to keep you immersed in it, didn't work that well. Still I sat down through the whole season hoping for it to get better, so that counts for something I guess.
  11. May 6, 2014
    I want to like it, the concept is ok... The actors are good... But the story is so boring and done before. It tries to be mysterious, but when something mysterious happens it is almost immediatly explained. Characters development go's way to fast and the show doesn't give the vieuwer time to question anything. The could have gone far with the concept. But it just failed in my eyes.
  12. May 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show was so Awesome i don't know why there are so many negative reviews but the tomorrow people was a great show Cara and Stephen getting together was amazing.! Expand
  13. Apr 30, 2014
    The show is just amazing and the actors are wonderful. The show never gets boring as there are new, exciting things happening in every episode. I really hope to be watching a second season.
  14. Apr 24, 2014
    I absolutely love this show.. was hooked from episode 1. Character development, casting, directing everything is perfect.. The storyline is engaging,, keeping you on the edge of your seats at times and other times looking for a tissue to wipe your eyes.. Love the acting. Wonderful show, hope it stays on for years to come.
  15. Apr 12, 2014
    Absolutely brilliant performances from the main four characters. A good show with a good mix of adventure, suspense, romance and mystery.
    Something not seen in insanely and surprisingly popular shows like PLL
  16. Apr 8, 2014
    Serie meio sessão da tarde, a maior parte dos atores é desconhecida pra mim, mas é legalzinha, a ideia é boa e a história regular, bons efeitos e uma trama bem trançada...Vamos ver no que dá!
  17. Apr 8, 2014
    The tomorrow people, one of the newest CW shows that came out. Despite the name, it is an incredible movie. If you like vampire diaries, teen wolf, being human, etc. Then you will most likely enjoy this teen drama. I have read soo many bad reveiws on this show, and honestly maybe it may be predictable but it takes you own turns itself. Many people 'complain' about how its a terribleThe tomorrow people, one of the newest CW shows that came out. Despite the name, it is an incredible movie. If you like vampire diaries, teen wolf, being human, etc. Then you will most likely enjoy this teen drama. I have read soo many bad reveiws on this show, and honestly maybe it may be predictable but it takes you own turns itself. Many people 'complain' about how its a terrible remake. But overall its honestly a great film that i enjoyed watching. It related too family problems, too why they were so different. The one thing i loved the most about this movie is Mark P. His acting is amazing in all his productions, his character greatly related to his other character on being human. Hes always the 'bad guy' with a good heart in some way- i know we havent found out all the answers but i know il be defiantly watching this show on season 2 if it doesnt get canceled. I really hope it doesnt. (sorry about grammar I'm using my phone, but honestly i highly reccoment this show if you liked CW's vampire diaries, being human, and others.) Expand
  18. Apr 5, 2014
    Love this show. Characters and scripts are witty and sharp. Remake or not our family love the twists & turns of the story and the realism - eg people getting genuinely pissed off with each other, not rom-com annoyed - as far as you can be real with superpowers.. I've read the reviews of people who don't like the show and believe they are missing not only the point but also a good time.Love this show. Characters and scripts are witty and sharp. Remake or not our family love the twists & turns of the story and the realism - eg people getting genuinely pissed off with each other, not rom-com annoyed - as far as you can be real with superpowers.. I've read the reviews of people who don't like the show and believe they are missing not only the point but also a good time. This is a fun show to watch. Expand
  19. Apr 3, 2014
    I love The Tomorrow People, it's my favorite show. Please, please, please make more seasons. All my friends love it too. Please keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Mar 24, 2014
    This show is not as horrible as viewers are making it out to be. From what I've seen it is pretty cool. The majority of episodes are action packed and keeps me on the edge of my seat. There have been a few episode where I think what were the writers thinking, I find Steven the main character annoying, but besides that I hope the show continues and the tomorrow people step up and stopThis show is not as horrible as viewers are making it out to be. From what I've seen it is pretty cool. The majority of episodes are action packed and keeps me on the edge of my seat. There have been a few episode where I think what were the writers thinking, I find Steven the main character annoying, but besides that I hope the show continues and the tomorrow people step up and stop hiding underground and use their powers for good! Expand
  21. Mar 23, 2014
    I am a person who generally doesn't like a TV series, but The Tomorrow People is simply an amazing series. I really enjoy each episode that is aired, and i always look forward to the next week, just to watch the next episode. This series is by far the best series i have come across, as it has drama and sci-fi, consisting of twists and turns. The story as well the characters is amazing, andI am a person who generally doesn't like a TV series, but The Tomorrow People is simply an amazing series. I really enjoy each episode that is aired, and i always look forward to the next week, just to watch the next episode. This series is by far the best series i have come across, as it has drama and sci-fi, consisting of twists and turns. The story as well the characters is amazing, and the actors who play the roles are great at acting their part. I hope that the series is continued with the same characters. I Love This Show and Look forward for it to be continued! Expand
  22. Mar 10, 2014
    I love this TV show and so do my friends. I do not know why other people dislike it? It looks 'real' unlike some tv shows where you can tell it has been modified. So far, this is the best tv show I like by far. It is funny as well :)
  23. Feb 28, 2014
    Absolutely love this show. So many people expect TV shows to be perfect and lose interest after the first episode. Pilots aren't usually the best of the series, and TTP keeps getting better and better. Characters are far from boring, and the main characters are pretty well developed. Obviously this takes time, as many people seem to forget. The people who want to instantly get to the mainAbsolutely love this show. So many people expect TV shows to be perfect and lose interest after the first episode. Pilots aren't usually the best of the series, and TTP keeps getting better and better. Characters are far from boring, and the main characters are pretty well developed. Obviously this takes time, as many people seem to forget. The people who want to instantly get to the main point of the entire series should just watch a movie. This show has lots of potential and certainly deserves a second season, especially if you consider other shows that are up for renewal alongside it. Expand
  24. Feb 20, 2014
    This show is absolutely one of the best on tv, it took time to pick up. it's getting better with every episode! Watch more than one to see the greatness before writing a review based off of not seeing how greatly it's improved ...watch how much better it gets with each episode. I promise!
  25. Feb 15, 2014
    All of the negative reviews read like they were written by children, I enjoy the characters and support Mark Pellegrino as a prominent television actor and unlike those that simply read the title or perhaps watch the pilot and then claim insight into the quality of the series I respect any shows development phase and understand that one cannot justly review a series until it has at leastAll of the negative reviews read like they were written by children, I enjoy the characters and support Mark Pellegrino as a prominent television actor and unlike those that simply read the title or perhaps watch the pilot and then claim insight into the quality of the series I respect any shows development phase and understand that one cannot justly review a series until it has at least two seasons under it's belt and has been renewed for a third because up until then it isn't a series, it's still forming it's characters and story. The first season is shaping up quite nicely if you had actually checked it out. Expand
  26. Feb 13, 2014
    This serie is awsome, best serie i´ve ever seen, i really loved it and i waint the next episode! I wish this serie never ends!Is for that im voting, because i want this srie to continue
  27. Feb 6, 2014
    I really like this reboot, as I've been waiting many years to see this show come back since I was a kid. There's enough twists and turns to keep me interested, although a few logic errors and inconsistencies that throw me out of the story at times. However, for entertainment value, I enjoy it.

The storyline and character development have gotten better over the span of the episodes, so I do hope that the writers continue their creativity and depth with the characters. Emotional tensions keep the momentum going. I want more ambiguity of character from Jedekiah, and even Steven's mom, who has been slow in coming. But I think it's on the right track as long as they remember that they are playing to an intelligent audience.
  28. Dec 14, 2013
    THIS is one of my favorite new shows of the the 2013/14 season. They show has a lot of emotion in it and they characters are ones that you actually care about, especially Cara. Poor Stephen is a hero and is a selfless person that is pretty much Clark Kent of Smallville. Jedikiah is one that you love to hate. GREAT SHOW!
  29. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is very CW: good looking young people struggling with both an ongoing mystery/fight against bad people as well as the drama in their love lives. There is even a main character dealing with the difficulties of fitting in at high school. sigh.

Yes, the concept has been done many times, and this isn't even in the same ballpark as Heroes season 1. But there might be enough drama created by Stephen doing the double agent thing. Only time will tell.

I'm torn about rating this because on one hand it is a formulaic teen show. On the other it is helping to make sci-fi more mainstream and if shows like these are successful we should hopefully get more on our screens.
  30. Nov 18, 2013
    This show is great i cant wait to get home and watch it each and every Wednesday. This is one of my families favorite shows. The charters in the Tomorrow people are all excellent actors.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 31, 2013
    The CW has established a reliable [network formula]: beautiful young things plus alienation plus supernatural powers plus slim-fit leather jackets. It works again in this new series. [11 Nov 2013, p.40]
    Teen shows and sci-fi shows often get a bad rap for being ridiculous or campy or stupid, and Tomorrow People isn't any of those things. Unfortunately, it's just boring.
    This won't be a show focusing on teenage angst, which is a healthy breath of fresh air from a network that capitalizes on brooding male protagonists.... One major aspect the pilot lacks is character development, as the fast-paced action and plot dominate the first hour to set up the series.