• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 9, 2013
7.9

1. Oct 9, 2013
    You call this a remake? How come those idiots at The CW making a reboot of one of my favorite British TV shows of the 1970s? I remember when The Tomorrow People aired on Nickelodeon in the early '90s (although it's not a remake of the TV version). But in 2013, I think this reboot of a whole needs to be canceled for good. Just like Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, and Charlie's Angels, no oneYou call this a remake? How come those idiots at The CW making a reboot of one of my favorite British TV shows of the 1970s? I remember when The Tomorrow People aired on Nickelodeon in the early '90s (although it's not a remake of the TV version). But in 2013, I think this reboot of a whole needs to be canceled for good. Just like Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, and Charlie's Angels, no one wants to see classic TV shows turned into reboots. I think I'll see Arrow and Nikita instead. Expand
  2. May 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is a bad version of mutant X or some marvel comics.The idea is great and some of the actors are ok.The story is intruiging after the first boring EPs.The problem is this teenstuff.Of course Stephen is a teen, got to admit.But they tried to show no blood, no hard action.Its all....soft.They cant kill, bad decision.The final EP is a good example for that.When the writers do EVERYTHING that no one dies.Even the shot that killed Cara is rewinded with Stephend power.WTF?This was so lame and random.The mainproblem for me with this is that the writers NEVER EVER know what aproach they want to try.Stpehens character is a great example.There is no developement for him.For example he accepts it after one EP that he "is not human".Why?No explanation.And thats the case for many many many things in the show.This show needed a much darker aproach with less stupid fighting, more morale decicions, less lovestory, more death and some character developement.Sorry guys, show got canceld for many very good reasons. Expand
  3. Apr 8, 2014
    Serie meio sessão da tarde, a maior parte dos atores é desconhecida pra mim, mas é legalzinha, a ideia é boa e a história regular, bons efeitos e uma trama bem trançada...Vamos ver no que dá!
  4. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is very CW: good looking young people struggling with both an ongoing mystery/fight against bad people as well as the drama in their love lives. There is even a main character dealing with the difficulties of fitting in at high school. sigh.

Yes, the concept has been done many times, and this isn't even in the same ballpark as Heroes season 1. But there might be enough drama created by Stephen doing the double agent thing. Only time will tell.

I'm torn about rating this because on one hand it is a formulaic teen show. On the other it is helping to make sci-fi more mainstream and if shows like these are successful we should hopefully get more on our screens.
  5. May 6, 2014
    I want to like it, the concept is ok... The actors are good... But the story is so boring and done before. It tries to be mysterious, but when something mysterious happens it is almost immediatly explained. Characters development go's way to fast and the show doesn't give the vieuwer time to question anything. The could have gone far with the concept. But it just failed in my eyes.
  6. May 13, 2014
    If you're looking for an entertaining show, with abysmal plot,developed characters, great action etc., you will not find it in this here. The show is entertaining to a degree, but, the actors sometimes do a lousy job on the delivery of the lines, and I never once felt invested. I'm not even going to talk about the love interests in the here, just know that it's the worst part of the show,If you're looking for an entertaining show, with abysmal plot,developed characters, great action etc., you will not find it in this here. The show is entertaining to a degree, but, the actors sometimes do a lousy job on the delivery of the lines, and I never once felt invested. I'm not even going to talk about the love interests in the here, just know that it's the worst part of the show, and there is no logic to it. The overall plot is not very interesting, immersive and clever as the producers of the show think it is.
    The season is full of unnecessary plot twists and cliches that try to keep you immersed in it, didn't work that well. Still I sat down through the whole season hoping for it to get better, so that counts for something I guess.
  7. Oct 14, 2014
    One moral of deciding to remake a television series is undeniably: Never....ever...insult the intelligences of your audience. If there is one theme that can be extracted from The Tomorrow People (version 2.0), it is the incessant need for the scriptwriters to assume you have been licking lead toys for no less than a decade.

The overall plot of the season 1 story has its appeal. And it

The overall plot of the season 1 story has its appeal. And it has a generally good cast to execute each role. Still, the script itself - not too mention the far too obvious advertising shots for Microsoft - beats the viewer down with repetitive yet watery jargon that unendingly differentiates the magically gifted Homo superior (The Tomorrow People) from Homo sapiens (wherever you might live). And this language is overly abundant in every single episode.

The over and inconsistent use of "our species", "paranormal", and even the series' namesake "The Tomorrow People" in the script might lead one to believe that the writers truly don't believe the viewer can understand that these gifted young acolytes of the Nintendo are somehow different from their non-gifted counterparts.

Add to this any number of scenes in which actors are glued to the exact same computer screen with the non-informative whirling DNA model, whether they are in the subway laboratory or in the Ultra stronghold and you get the feeling that the characters are merely play acting.

There are points in the season where the show displays its strengths in developing the characters constitutionally, emotionally, and hey - they even develop some cool superman punches. Moreover, a couple of the characters show solid traits of ambiguity, of their own ambivalence to their goals and means to achieve them. Mark Pellegrino is the perfect example of a character convincing enough to be believable and connect-worthy by the viewer. Of all of the cast, his execution is the most complex. And perhaps Aaron Yoo's portrayal of Russell may be viewed as the most human.

Other times the characters lose credibility due to the writers' need to have a main character shirtless - alot - even at awkward points (i.e. Boy fights to reach mysterious death machine. Boy gets in mysterious death machine to save world. Oh wait, for the machine to work the boy has to - yep you guessed it - take his shirt off. We aren't quite sure how important this is for the machine to work, or the plot for that matter. But the flesh score quota has at least been met for the episode. )

Convincing an audience that the characters are real and the plot and setting are legitimate, however fantastic, is no easy feat. But treating the audience like sex-appeal crazed Neanderthals (whatever that means) who are assumed to have no way of understanding a concept unless you wield a bludgeon and spell it out, is a good recipe for an unsustainable series.

This series had promise and was a good idea, but its execution became completely lost in the hype of pop-culture and commercial sponsorship. Perhaps a South Park parody on the series (and of the CW 'esque spin on storylines) might find better success.
  8. Oct 23, 2014
    Concept of series is good. Special effects done really well. Acting is good for the young stars. The plot and believable nature of the actors is NOT good, however. A teen with powers is NOT going to hang around his barely functional family and try to hold school, job, life issues with stability. The antagonist uncle would not just keep his nephew around as a double agent. The tomorrowConcept of series is good. Special effects done really well. Acting is good for the young stars. The plot and believable nature of the actors is NOT good, however. A teen with powers is NOT going to hang around his barely functional family and try to hold school, job, life issues with stability. The antagonist uncle would not just keep his nephew around as a double agent. The tomorrow people would NOT allow themselves to be used by these people.

Just a terrible job of writing. Those that say this is a good series are being influenced by other equally bad shows. Twilight Zone episodes are more believable than this series.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 31, 2013
    The CW has established a reliable [network formula]: beautiful young things plus alienation plus supernatural powers plus slim-fit leather jackets. It works again in this new series. [11 Nov 2013, p.40]
  2. Reviewed by: Margaret Lyons
    Oct 9, 2013
    Teen shows and sci-fi shows often get a bad rap for being ridiculous or campy or stupid, and Tomorrow People isn't any of those things. Unfortunately, it's just boring.
  3. Reviewed by: Sydney Bucksbaum
    Oct 9, 2013
    This won't be a show focusing on teenage angst, which is a healthy breath of fresh air from a network that capitalizes on brooding male protagonists.... One major aspect the pilot lacks is character development, as the fast-paced action and plot dominate the first hour to set up the series.