• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 1, 2009
7.9

1. JohnK
    Jun 3, 2009
    I was hoping for a new and improved Conan...not...just the same old silliness that lacks the true comic genius of his predecessors. Jay and Johnny had the "it" factor working for them that Conan doesn't project. Guess I'll be watching more Letterman and waiting for Jay's new gig in the Fall.
  2. LouP
    Jun 15, 2009
    Self-referential without being funny; pretending to being hip and arch, but frankly not very smart for an old Harvard Lampoon star.
  3. tonym
    Jul 10, 2009
    Very disappointing.I liked his prior show because of its informality.This new endeavor apprars forced.
  4. Gary
    Jun 2, 2009
    If you thought that the debut of the Tonight Show was even remotely funny, you had better cash your sense of humor in for another one.
  5. BradS
    Jun 3, 2009
    Why did NBC destroy the show?
  6. AlanG
    Jun 9, 2009
    Just not my cup of tea. A little too hard edged for me. Doesn't have the warmth that Leno had. Hate the blue back drop for his monologues. Very cold looking. I'm switching to Letterman and liking it.
  7. ronaldp
    Jul 9, 2009
    Its more like a show for children, with the mugging and goofy faces! Look at the age of the people in the stands ! They need a more mature person with sensible and funny jokes..I did not get one laugh and I have a funny bone.. hopefull time will improve , and I will give him this.
  8. EthanG
    Jun 17, 2009
    Dismal, cold and the so-called executives approved this insanity ; are they also running the LA Clippers?
  9. KimH
    Jun 3, 2009
    Jay Leno was the Tonight Show. Entertainingly funny and a class act. Conan's try at humor is just plain stupidity. Conan's Tonight Show is just rerun of Late Night with Conan O'Brien at 11:30 p.m. Same old Conan and same old band with same old stupid humor. I'll have to find something else to watch at 11:30 p.m.now.
  10. GwennethS
    Jun 6, 2009
    O'Brien may have moved to La-La Land but he's still a preferred taste...like pickled pig's feet, or poached tripe...and I have no appetitie for either !! I did give him a chance...but he blew it. Still an un-funny dork, who tries too hard. Sure has big shoes to fill...and it isn't going to happen. Sorry Old Boy, but you are out of your league. Maybe he should take O'Brien may have moved to La-La Land but he's still a preferred taste...like pickled pig's feet, or poached tripe...and I have no appetitie for either !! I did give him a chance...but he blew it. Still an un-funny dork, who tries too hard. Sure has big shoes to fill...and it isn't going to happen. Sorry Old Boy, but you are out of your league. Maybe he should take lessons from David Letterman...Funny, comfortable in his skin, with inimitable class... All three always missing in Conan O'Brien from the start of his hosting career. But I will give him an E for effort. Expand
  11. SamG
    Jul 26, 2009
    His jokes lack any sophistication or great deal of thought. His humor is more physical catering to a younger male crowd (tweens). He is funny for what he does not for what he says and his act is still badly wanting. The focus is always on him; the show is a montage of scenes like "Conan the cow wrestler" or "Conan goes canoeing" and "Conan meets the Barbapapa's." His show is "Dumb His jokes lack any sophistication or great deal of thought. His humor is more physical catering to a younger male crowd (tweens). He is funny for what he does not for what he says and his act is still badly wanting. The focus is always on him; the show is a montage of scenes like "Conan the cow wrestler" or "Conan goes canoeing" and "Conan meets the Barbapapa's." His show is "Dumb and Dumber'er" meets "Jack-Ass". Where is the clever wit and brilliant nuance? Where is the discipline to know when to be the center of attention and when a guest should be? Where is the superbly scripted banter with guests that appears so off the cuff and original? Where are the satirical skits that poke fun at ourselves instead of just at him? They should re-name his show Expand

Conan O'Brien's first Tonight Show was a good one--if you like canned video clips rather than topical humor. Otherwise, there wasn't much to get excited about.
    It was vintage Conan stuff, proof that his absurdist sense of humor won't change much on the West Coast. And yet last night also contained some grand nods to O'Brien's fancy new home.
  3. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    Admit it. Seeing O'Brien under direct sunlight in various bits was a jolt. But he looked giddily at home on the Tonight Show stage.