The Tudors : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
6.9

1. D.W.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I know this is supposed to be a rich costume piece and the clothes are wonderful. But how much hard would it have been to flesh out the characters, showing us motivation outside the stick figure obvious? There's no context for their behavior and the actors seem to be just moving through their lines, such as they are, without giving any reason to care about them. By the final episode, I know this is supposed to be a rich costume piece and the clothes are wonderful. But how much hard would it have been to flesh out the characters, showing us motivation outside the stick figure obvious? There's no context for their behavior and the actors seem to be just moving through their lines, such as they are, without giving any reason to care about them. By the final episode, only the set was interesting and that wasn't enough to prevent my attention from wandering from the screen to a more interesting book about Henry's six wives. Expand
  2. JenniferH
    Nov 20, 2009
    If so many viewers realize there is a lot of historical inaccuracy, maybe we are not as stupid as they think. Why not educate with historical facts which are quite juicy enough? The series lacks depth of character. So much overt sex can be tiring, as if we all had one-track minds and I don't believe we have.
  3. scottT
    Sep 24, 2009
    Juvenile script, overacting (particularly Rhys-Meyers) and shallow. Fails to even bother exploring the enormous dynamics of the period. The sex is great, but essentially it's a soap opera.
  4. HélèneF
    Dec 16, 2007
    The rating is mostly for the magnificent costumes and th e sets The show is slow & more like a soap opera with thin beauties pushing up their boobs. Obviously made to appeal to the masses leaving out all the best history has to offer us.
  5. JennT.
    Mar 28, 2007
    The actors are wonderful, but the story is slow and plodding.
  6. CarolynS.
    Mar 30, 2007
    Henry VIII for Dummies. Micheal Hirsh should've put a disclaimer in the credits. "Loosely based on the historical Tudors." Even the costumes are from another era.
  7. SusanL.
    Mar 1, 2008
    I can't get over the non-Tudor hair. It's all just so wrong.
  8. Natalieo
    Oct 8, 2007
    Nothing saves the fact that they get so much wrong historically

Less lurid than HBO's Rome, yet still quite the pageant of pomp and friskiness, it's a throwback to the old-fashioned miniseries of yore, spiced with pay-cable frankness.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    The show is a lusty soap opera that aspires to the pulsating, cutting-edge glamour of Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth. It's a little ham-fisted for that. [2 Apr 2007, p.37]
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    "The Tudors" is not the great series that it might have been, but it's certainly a watchable and diverting one.