• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 7, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.3

1. Jan 3, 2012
    Compelling and interesting, however the special effects are not top notch. The acting performances are also pretty good. I like the Allstate guy, lol. He doesn't do commercials anymore, apparently.
  2. twoo
    Best new show since 24.
    Mar 12, 2006
    The all-state guy is good.
  4. DiannaE
    Mar 8, 2006
    Tremendous impact with the pilot. Like the actors and the characters. Love the way the men are "good" men who are utterly dangerous. Some missteps here and there but I'lm looking forward to the way the show grows.
  5. PerryD
    Mar 8, 2006
    The permise was good but what will it be for an ongoing series. They can't always save a hijacked plane. What's next a Bank, another 911? It is different for a change.
  6. ClintN
    Aug 3, 2006
    I give it a 9 only because of some "cheesyness" in both the Unit members in the field and the wives at home. Hope the show stays on for a long time to come. I read Erik Haney's book and loved it! Again this show is great! "Have a good 'un".
  7. phillipk
    May 11, 2009
    Terrific show. Please do not take it off the air. My buddies and I watch it faithfully. Very well done. One of the best on TV.
  8. Jul 20, 2011
    The Unit represents one of the most compelling hours of television anywhere and anytime. I am flummoxed by the critics average score, other than to say critics are generally against any TV drama that purveys the military in anything approaching a favorable light.

In fact the drama is many times so gripping that the episode becomes difficult to watch. Is it too much for at least some home viewers to reach star status?

Ultimately, I believe the the show suffered from two flaws that lead to its failure; one common and one not so common. The common one is that in 5 years the characters did not evolve enough to deep the deeply faithful viewership alive. The show was at its best presenting the army's best soldiers in impossible situations, but floundered in the continuing Kafkaesque moments with wives and girlfriends.

The second flaw was the wife story line. It was frustratingly unrealistic. No one, and I mean no one, can watch even 1 season of absolutely shunned wife long suffering and comparatively uneventful story lines while being complicitly lied to, and not be frustrated. Not even Jonas would not tell the love of his life what he was doing. The evolution in the last season was a band-aid to this issue, not a solution.

Kudos to the writers and the producers of an absolutely brilliant idea and some of the best writing on TV. But Andy Griffin shows are dead. People need to change. It's part of the fun.
  9. ChristopherF.
    Oct 3, 2007
    Better with each episode...a good education for the all too common and naive citizen who chooses to believe this world doesn't or needn't exist. As the father of one of these soldiers, some of the over-dramatization is evident. However, it is 80% on the money and overdue as a genre. What Hollywood is afraid to produce, TV has provided--yet another indication that TV is the hot Better with each episode...a good education for the all too common and naive citizen who chooses to believe this world doesn't or needn't exist. As the father of one of these soldiers, some of the over-dramatization is evident. However, it is 80% on the money and overdue as a genre. What Hollywood is afraid to produce, TV has provided--yet another indication that TV is the hot medium right now that has attracted the more daring artists and writers. Expand
  10. BU
    Nov 28, 2008
    For those of us who grew up on the A Team, Commando and the like this show's good for a weekly action fix. I've never been in the military, but its still easy to tell that there's a lot of poetic license, and I bet most military types probably hate it. Even so, I still enjoy it. I rate Patrick, Martini & Foley, and Haysbert is the man, but I'd like to see a version For those of us who grew up on the A Team, Commando and the like this show's good for a weekly action fix. I've never been in the military, but its still easy to tell that there's a lot of poetic license, and I bet most military types probably hate it. Even so, I still enjoy it. I rate Patrick, Martini & Foley, and Haysbert is the man, but I'd like to see a version that had all the wives' scenes edited out. Too much drama for my tastes. Expand
  11. SteffiK
    Mar 11, 2006
    This is so badly over-acted, and the situations are so ridiculously oversimplified, with everyone except the military being the bad guy (a wife can't leave the base with her child? being brain-washed by the miltary version of the Stepford wives? Are you kidding me???), that only the least sophisticated will watch it (or, so many of them will, that it will become a megahit). The This is so badly over-acted, and the situations are so ridiculously oversimplified, with everyone except the military being the bad guy (a wife can't leave the base with her child? being brain-washed by the miltary version of the Stepford wives? Are you kidding me???), that only the least sophisticated will watch it (or, so many of them will, that it will become a megahit). The military must be stewing over this (if I were in the military, I sure as hell would be!). I'd be surprised if it lasts three episodes. Expand
  12. TimG
    Mar 10, 2006
    Great premise. Terrible execution. The dialogue was flat, un-inspiring, and delievered less than realistic. I blame the writers for most of this. The actors can only work with what they have. Casting was good except for Scott Foley. He is about as realistic as a special forces soldier as Jason Priestly as a ...well...special forces solder. I give this show a 5 because it has a good Great premise. Terrible execution. The dialogue was flat, un-inspiring, and delievered less than realistic. I blame the writers for most of this. The actors can only work with what they have. Casting was good except for Scott Foley. He is about as realistic as a special forces soldier as Jason Priestly as a ...well...special forces solder. I give this show a 5 because it has a good premise. If you are a fan of books like Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series, or Alias, this show has potential if the writing can be saved. I did like that the grunts chose to take the plane down at the request of someone they recognized as an "operator" instead of following orders. Collapse
  13. Matt
    Mar 7, 2006
    Good debut. Good action and acting. Interesting twist at the end. I plan to be a regular viewer.
  14. MikeP
    Mar 7, 2006
    Absolutely pathetic. The plot is terrible, the acting is beyond cheesy, the characters lack originality...Admittedly, I couldn't stop watching because this was so bad!!
  15. TonyR
    Mar 8, 2006
    well done. I don't need a Private Ryan level of intensity for a weekly show but I like the step up from the often too pristine environment present in a JAG episode. the key for me will be if they can stay on track with the challenges of the job they and their families bear in the course of what they have chosen to do. An episode or two that tries to get politcal will lose me fast. well done. I don't need a Private Ryan level of intensity for a weekly show but I like the step up from the often too pristine environment present in a JAG episode. the key for me will be if they can stay on track with the challenges of the job they and their families bear in the course of what they have chosen to do. An episode or two that tries to get politcal will lose me fast. this should remain a story about poeple who have decided to be the point of the spear and less about who is weilding the spear. Expand
  16. LornaC
    Mar 8, 2006
    I thought the combination of Mamet and Haysbert would be unbeatable, but the show has a strange 1950s quality to it. The stay-at-home wives were dull and boring, and even the men's action sequences seemed draggy.
  17. DrewF
    Mar 9, 2006
    Solid debut ep. The wives-bit was a little overdone, but i liked the military portion and the action. I'll tune in for the next couple episodes to see how things go.
  18. ChrisM
    Apr 1, 2006
    Great show I enjoy the tightly wound plots and fast moving action. Keep it coming .......
  19. SYLVIAT
    Apr 29, 2006
    Strong actors and great show! You go guys!
  20. MelissaK
    Apr 4, 2006
    Awesome show!! I question the low ratings by some of these people - Are you watching the same show that I am? Do you know anything about acting? I hardly think so.
  21. JustinW
    Apr 8, 2006
    A good show with a good concept. The plot is sometimes either predictable or boring some of the actors on Haysburt's team aren't very good. Nonetheless, "The Unit" is one of the my favorite shows.
  22. NA
    Feb 11, 2007
    It's a fun break from the CSI's and reality crap.
  23. JARussell
    Mar 5, 2007
    One of my favorite shows
  24. alexg
    Apr 7, 2009
    I love this show. The acting and attention to detail when it comes to the weapons and tactics is awesome! I hope to see a movie maybe or a special extra long episode some day? There are too many epic moments to count.
  25. DavidE
    Dec 12, 2006
    Show has good morals! Well written scrips! Lots of MacGyver type of action! Keep me coming back every week. Actually this is the only show that I watch with my wife..... Awesom keep it on!
  26. JustinR
    Mar 16, 2006
    If you love David Mamet's style of dialogue, which I do, this is ear candy for his fans. The cast is top quality with no expense spared apparently on them or the action sequences. This is a hell of a show for television and I believe the best is yet to come.
  27. ScottS
    Mar 23, 2006
    Having watched the third episode, I can now unequivocally say this show is offensively bad. My wife figured that out after the first episode. What can I say? I'm a bit slow, I guess. Bad acting + mediocre writing = a painful hour. I can say the show looks pretty, but pretty technical stuff is easy; writing and acting are the hard stuff that this show doesn't get right. See this Having watched the third episode, I can now unequivocally say this show is offensively bad. My wife figured that out after the first episode. What can I say? I'm a bit slow, I guess. Bad acting + mediocre writing = a painful hour. I can say the show looks pretty, but pretty technical stuff is easy; writing and acting are the hard stuff that this show doesn't get right. See this year's The Shield for writing and acting done right. Expand
  28. LISAB
    Mar 26, 2006
    We Love this show! We really miss Dennis Haysbert as the Pres. on 24! Really hope this one lasts!
  29. ColeC
    Mar 29, 2006
    CRAP!! Trying to take on 24 and failing in every way. Tone is all off, Miss paced, washed out look just doesnt work if your trying to make a realistic show take off all the effects. Screw this show this is a discrase to TV like many shows, Ill stick to STILL the best show on TV EVER....24!!!!!
  30. alanh
    Mar 30, 2006
    outstanding military action series.
  31. mitcht
    great
  32. davida
    WOW
  33. IvyJ
    Good show loved it!!!!
  34. BruceH
    Mar 8, 2006
    Considering this was just the pilot, history tells us it will likely get better and better. It's differences and unique formula is what, after all, makes it different and potentially unique.
  35. DanB
    Apr 26, 2006
    Operational missions side is very accurate. The home front gets somewhat soapy, but has gotten better. The affair part of the show is for tittleation only.
  36. CydneyW
    May 10, 2006
    This is a great show. I love it!
  37. JamieS
    Jun 20, 2006
    THis show is great... If you were actually in the military you'd know that most shows are far from real... atleast they arent showing the gruesome parts of war... Its true though... things on the homefront cant get soapy.. WELCOME to the life of the military. Its real... the threat is real.... characters may not act as dramatic as it may really be, but the point of the show isnt to THis show is great... If you were actually in the military you'd know that most shows are far from real... atleast they arent showing the gruesome parts of war... Its true though... things on the homefront cant get soapy.. WELCOME to the life of the military. Its real... the threat is real.... characters may not act as dramatic as it may really be, but the point of the show isnt to scare the US to death of combat or soliders. Its action/drama and thats what they give us. You want fake war and stupid immitation combat... watch those gay war shows and stupid movies with innacurate depictions of what like is really like for half of the United States! Expand
  38. Shaggy
    Nov 15, 2007
    The show get's into your head and makes you think about world issues and how they affect everyday lives. It's addictive!
  39. FishstickF.
    Nov 8, 2007
    This is a great show that has us on the edge of our seat every week!
  40. RHellams
    Mar 19, 2007
    Excellent show. The reviewers seem to be unable to accept a fact based show that is reasonably true to life - without all their politically-correct BS, and character development of the female cast members. Why can't the show just be accurate, truthful, and entertaining. There is not much female character development in Delta.
  41. R.Rendratno
    Apr 13, 2007
    One of the best TV series! Love it...and just like other reviewers, I watch this series with my wife...a rare thing. Strong, consistent character from play to play. The show tried to be honest / realistic, sometimes raising a serious moral question. You can debate much from military view, but, hey...this is just a shows.. created with a profit and rating issues in mind.
  42. MC.
    Jun 18, 2007
    Fun military drama. not too heavy, not too light.
  43. MattC.
    Jun 9, 2007
    This is one of my favorite shows on the air right now. If you haven't seen the episode from season 2 called "Dark of the Moon," I suggest that you check it out because it is the most brilliant thing I've ever seen on television outside of HBO.
  44. EricE
    Jan 18, 2008
    The second show of my Tuesday night lineup. I love this show, it has a little bit of everything, action, romance, thrills, chills. Not a ton of action but plenty to keep me entertained. Also it makes for a good break from all the forensic science murder shows.
  45. DaveC
    Jan 15, 2009
    The opening episode of season 1 should have been entitled 'Operation Cliché', such was the nature of the script. The show also seems to pitched to 12-15 year-old kids - there are no sub-plots, no complexities, just a bunch of guys 'lock-and-load'-ing and playing 'soldiers', while the equally 2-dimensional women play 'supportive housewife' at The opening episode of season 1 should have been entitled 'Operation Cliché', such was the nature of the script. The show also seems to pitched to 12-15 year-old kids - there are no sub-plots, no complexities, just a bunch of guys 'lock-and-load'-ing and playing 'soldiers', while the equally 2-dimensional women play 'supportive housewife' at home. 24, it ain't. Expand
  46. JennG
    Oct 27, 2006
    My husband and I love the show. It is a throw back to the good old days. Think The A-Team meets McGuyver. Good job all around.
  47. JasonP
    Mar 14, 2006
    If I hadn't already known David Mamet was involved with the show, I would've before the first commercial break. His jittery, no-exposition dialogue is full blast. You either love it or hate it. I guess I'm the former. The pilot was uneven in a few spots, but--after the second episode--it already seems to be heading in the right direction. The "field" and "back home" split If I hadn't already known David Mamet was involved with the show, I would've before the first commercial break. His jittery, no-exposition dialogue is full blast. You either love it or hate it. I guess I'm the former. The pilot was uneven in a few spots, but--after the second episode--it already seems to be heading in the right direction. The "field" and "back home" split has a surprising amount of depth for a one-hour (minus commercial time) show. Good cast, too; here's hoping some more former "24" actors will make their way to Mametland (and maybe we'll see Ricky Jay and Ed O'Neill). Again, not everyone will like it (which is pretty clear from the split user votes and comments), but I think it's going to work out. Expand
  48. DennisH
    Apr 22, 2006
    Thank goodness I tape it after NCIS so I can fast forward through the commercials AND the the soapy subplot of the wives.
  49. conniew
    Apr 29, 2006
    Wow! I am loving this show! I love the mix of the action and the home base. Excellant acting, great stories. Love the military jargon by the operators and the wives - makes it even more realistic. This show and 24 are the only two shows that are a must see every week.
  50. KarriS
    May 17, 2006
    Tried it, kind of liked couple of episodes but the last two ones were just plain awful.
  51. malf
    Jun 27, 2006
    It's about as acurate as the MiG-28 in TopGun. "there is NO such thing as a MiG-28, all MiG's have odd numbers, ex MiG-19, 17, 15, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27 and the MiG-29" Acting was wooden. Predictable from the 1st act on.
  52. MitchellH.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Good story lines. Nice twists. Does well in showing dual lifes in the soldiers and the wives. Well written and makes the watcher feel both energized and sympathetic.
  53. SusanH
    Oct 19, 2007
    Is this show for real? The macho factor is so over the top it's hard to believe that Mammet is serious about this.
  54. TrishZ.
    Sep 21, 2007
    The covert operations are great!!! Unfortunately, too much time is spent on the tiresome wives.
  55. RoryP
    Nov 15, 2008
    The Unit this season has outdone itself. It is great! Thank you to David Mamet and his crew!
  56. CoryB
    Nov 24, 2008
    Love it
  57. JoF
    Nov 15, 2006
    A fantastic show...always original and always interesting. Military drama at its finest, and a great twist with the homefront. The second season is even better than the first. Bravo.
  58. OriolG
    Nov 16, 2006
    I usually love the show, but tonight....they were in "spain" and had to scape...any of the producers had ever been to spain? Spain isn't mexico!!! I've nothing against mexico, but i really hate when poeple think spain is mexico....spain is in europe, is not only toros(bullfights), flamenco and paellas...and the police is not a dictatorial arm of the goverment, as it used to be I usually love the show, but tonight....they were in "spain" and had to scape...any of the producers had ever been to spain? Spain isn't mexico!!! I've nothing against mexico, but i really hate when poeple think spain is mexico....spain is in europe, is not only toros(bullfights), flamenco and paellas...and the police is not a dictatorial arm of the goverment, as it used to be until the dictator's death back on ...1975!!!!!! I would apreciate that some information about the countries that appear on the movies, not only the unit, could be checked before the script is ready. Who thinks USA is only cowboys and hamburguers? Please, get informed before. Expand
  59. Nov 14, 2011
    It's a fun watch. Nothing too serious and nothing unrealistic. Not every episode is great, and not always continuous. Now that I am done with the set I want more, that should tell you something.
  60. Sep 14, 2014
    The Unit maybe one of the best tv shows I have ever seen. I loved the look, the style and everything. It was perfect. Such a shame that it was discontinued just to produce one more useless NCIS spin-off.
    Kick all NCIS stuff out of your program except ne original one that was really good and go back producing The Unit. Dennis Haysbert was awesome btw.

There are glimmers of something refreshingly different.
    One of the major strengths of "The Unit" is its ability to tackle the blurry ethical lines and confusing behavioral codes of the military during a time of war.
  3. It just oozes potential with sharp dialogue and a strong cast.