• Network: The CW
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
7.6

1. ShayS
    Sep 16, 2009
    The show is good, the acting is okay, but the hole vampire theme is geting pretty sick. But i think the audince liked it, i mean the Teen- Drama Hit Series "Gossip Girl" got only 2.6 million viewers in each season, and this show got 4 million viewers.
  2. Nov 26, 2012
    The actress makes me sick, she is the most important and the most fake, in my opinion gets boring becouse of her, the other girls are nice but she.. ohhh gooosh, kill me pleeeease
  3. Angester
    Sep 13, 2009
    Pilots tend to suck and this was no exception. I think that most of the acting was pretty bad and the music was awful. The story was EXTREMELY PREDICTABLE, but I also read the books fifteen years ago. I'll give it another shot in a couple of weeks, but my hopes aren't high.
  4. Andy
    Sep 11, 2009
    Sigh, TVlover M. obviously has no idea that the book this show was based on was released years before even the first Twilight novel. Is the show trying to cash in on the success of Twilight/True Blood? Arguably. But Stephenie Meyer certainly took bits of 'inspiration' from the Vampire Diaries books. Reviewing the show on it's merits alone, it certainly doesn't stand up Sigh, TVlover M. obviously has no idea that the book this show was based on was released years before even the first Twilight novel. Is the show trying to cash in on the success of Twilight/True Blood? Arguably. But Stephenie Meyer certainly took bits of 'inspiration' from the Vampire Diaries books. Reviewing the show on it's merits alone, it certainly doesn't stand up as well as the books (what vampire show/movie does?).However, it's far from the zero ignorant people choose to give it. Expand
  5. Nellius
    Sep 15, 2009
    From the pilot, this looks like a decent show, but is doomed to fail simply because it's not nearly as good as True Blood. When I heard about it, the first thing that went through my head was "oh no, not another vampire show". And that's still the only thing going through my head after seeing the pilot. Hopefully the series will pick up and it'll be more than simply a poor From the pilot, this looks like a decent show, but is doomed to fail simply because it's not nearly as good as True Blood. When I heard about it, the first thing that went through my head was "oh no, not another vampire show". And that's still the only thing going through my head after seeing the pilot. Hopefully the series will pick up and it'll be more than simply a poor man's True Blood. Expand
  6. Feb 11, 2011
    Not as bad as Twilight but still not that great either. The whole premise is too typical and unbelievable. Television vampire genre needs a Hellsing equivalent.
  7. Nov 1, 2010
    It's a little to 'goodies' and 'badies' and the whole vampire goes for high school girl seems a little tragic, if not downright creepy. There's little subtle nuance but it's watchable.
  8. HannahS
    Jan 21, 2010
    In all honesty, I think my love for the show might stem from how good looking the entire cast is. I haven't read the books so I can't compare the two series.
  9. ThorwaldS.
    Oct 18, 2009
    With the (re-)current overkill of vampire related books, films, and indeed TV shows, this one is certainly not the best. However, it is hardly as frustratingly tense as Twilight nor the overly sensuous ball of confusion that is True Blood. With some idea of historical back story, there is just enough plot to not be completely zombified. And the chemistry between Wesley and Dobrev does not With the (re-)current overkill of vampire related books, films, and indeed TV shows, this one is certainly not the best. However, it is hardly as frustratingly tense as Twilight nor the overly sensuous ball of confusion that is True Blood. With some idea of historical back story, there is just enough plot to not be completely zombified. And the chemistry between Wesley and Dobrev does not go unnoticed either. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2013
    I mean Im rating out of is it actually good not how unoriginal it is or stupid. The actors are believable especially Nina Dobrev. Vampire Diaries is basically Twilight but (Remember this is coming from a guy) BETTER. Its actually darker, better ead female, better lead males, more interesting storylines. But like Twilight the only thing that is powering it are teenage girls. Id recommend ifI mean Im rating out of is it actually good not how unoriginal it is or stupid. The actors are believable especially Nina Dobrev. Vampire Diaries is basically Twilight but (Remember this is coming from a guy) BETTER. Its actually darker, better ead female, better lead males, more interesting storylines. But like Twilight the only thing that is powering it are teenage girls. Id recommend if your a guy watch Teen Wolf and girls should watch Vampire Diaries. The show isnt very original, but is better then some others. Expand
  11. Jan 11, 2014
    The Vampire Diaries isn't awful, but it isn't good either. The flashbacks are one of the redeeming qualities in this show. There are many far better vampire shows (Buffy).
  12. Nov 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A series worth watching, yes... but there are just too many things wrong with it. So very wrong.

Probably the biggest turn-off after watching it was that I realised that you start despising a character sincerely and later you come to like him only because at that point the series introduced an even more despicable and disgustingly evil villain. Yet the former person has not changed for the better or for a more interesting way, at all. This is an extremely cheap way to keep up so called "tension". Moreover because the female "villain" is nothing more than the cheap self-centered **** everyone of us knows from real life. As a rather annoying than cool character she was definitely a big turn-off for me, too.

Some people praise the series for excellent character development, while others love the ideas of love, horror and supernatural beings being intertwined. I personally like the idea of mysticism very much. Moreover the many different groups with different interests and goals respectively can indeed contribute very well to the overall storyline. But the lack of variation in terms of personality (it's very much "pure goodies vs evil baddies") leaves a bitter taste at best.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Diaries promises us a season of sharp-tongued amusement.
  2. You will want all the extras who played vamps on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (which was great, by the way, and not to be blamed for this lackluster cousin) to return en masse to eat the cast of "Vampire Diaries," plus any remaining scripts.
    Pretty, sensible teenage vampires who talk like depressed extras on "Hannah Montana"? Why, Diary? Why?