• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 10, 2009
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
7.6

1. Jan 23, 2015
    Might be ok for early teen girls, for everyone else its a pukefest of whiny, moping and unintelligible characters. I sat through the 1st season because my wife wanted to give it a shot after watching the Originals and by episode 8, even she couldn't take it seriously and started playing games on her laptop during episodes. I hate every character in the show especially the worthless ElenaMight be ok for early teen girls, for everyone else its a pukefest of whiny, moping and unintelligible characters. I sat through the 1st season because my wife wanted to give it a shot after watching the Originals and by episode 8, even she couldn't take it seriously and started playing games on her laptop during episodes. I hate every character in the show especially the worthless Elena and the retarded vampire brothers. You would think after living 150 years they would have gotten a little smarter but apparently their intelligence is fixed to high school level. I think for a grand finale, they should hire Wesley Snipes and have Blade eviscerate and stomp all over every character in the show until they turn into pudding.

How does anybody watch this and keep a straight a face? And here I thought Teen Wolf was a joke.
  2. Nov 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A series worth watching, yes... but there are just too many things wrong with it. So very wrong.

Probably the biggest turn-off after watching it was that I realised that you start despising a character sincerely and later you come to like him only because at that point the series introduced an even more despicable and disgustingly evil villain. Yet the former person has not changed for the better or for a more interesting way, at all. This is an extremely cheap way to keep up so called "tension". Moreover because the female "villain" is nothing more than the cheap self-centered **** everyone of us knows from real life. As a rather annoying than cool character she was definitely a big turn-off for me, too.

Some people praise the series for excellent character development, while others love the ideas of love, horror and supernatural beings being intertwined. I personally like the idea of mysticism very much. Moreover the many different groups with different interests and goals respectively can indeed contribute very well to the overall storyline. But the lack of variation in terms of personality (it's very much "pure goodies vs evil baddies") leaves a bitter taste at best.
  3. Nov 5, 2014
    This show is pretty good and keeps you interested, though sometimes it can be a bit slow but it's not often. It has a lot of action in it, more so earlier in the seasons as this season has started off a bit slow. Perhaps slow is the wrong term to use though, because it's more that it doesn't have as much action as what it has had in the past. It's still a good show to watch and you won'tThis show is pretty good and keeps you interested, though sometimes it can be a bit slow but it's not often. It has a lot of action in it, more so earlier in the seasons as this season has started off a bit slow. Perhaps slow is the wrong term to use though, because it's more that it doesn't have as much action as what it has had in the past. It's still a good show to watch and you won't be disappointed from keeping up with it. Expand
  4. Jan 24, 2014
    I really liked the show, but now i am starting to get bored by it. It's so annoying to see characters almost die and then come back again for the 1000th time. And i don't really get why they don't respect the plot from the book, which is much more interesting than this dying and coming back thing.
  5. Jan 11, 2014
    The Vampire Diaries isn't awful, but it isn't good either. The flashbacks are one of the redeeming qualities in this show. There are many far better vampire shows (Buffy).
  6. Jan 4, 2014
    The first season starts off slow and predictable but then it morphs into a fantastic piece of entertainment. This is not just a teen show by any means! I am 26 and I love this show! The intricate story lines and cliffhanger moments leave you wanting more. You develop such a bond with these characters and feel as though you know them on such a deep level. Some of the story lines need workThe first season starts off slow and predictable but then it morphs into a fantastic piece of entertainment. This is not just a teen show by any means! I am 26 and I love this show! The intricate story lines and cliffhanger moments leave you wanting more. You develop such a bond with these characters and feel as though you know them on such a deep level. Some of the story lines need work and certain aspects are redundant but this is a quality show. Give it a shot and watch more than the first 4-5 episodes and you will be hooked!! Expand
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    I think that L.J Smith's books are so much better than the TV Show. The characters from the books like Stefan or Damon are much more intringing, mysterious and charismatic than the TV Show ones. I will never like the TV Show as much as the books. I love Damon from the books, he has much more sex appeal and mystery than Ian Somerhalder's overacted Damon, and he doesn't kill so much people!
  8. Oct 19, 2013
    True Blood is child's play in this one's shadow. This is far more realistic and far more badass, I mean the badass vamps in TVD are more badass than the one's in True Blood. Russel Edgington being so old and yet so immature really turned me off and sort of made him a joke not a threat the fact that he was able to kill the Guardian so easily made me not care about anything anymore. ThatTrue Blood is child's play in this one's shadow. This is far more realistic and far more badass, I mean the badass vamps in TVD are more badass than the one's in True Blood. Russel Edgington being so old and yet so immature really turned me off and sort of made him a joke not a threat the fact that he was able to kill the Guardian so easily made me not care about anything anymore. That whole show is just laughable now even though I did enjoy the sixth season, it can't redeem an entire series of WTF. TVD is the real deal and I only even gave it a chance because I was a huge fan of LOST and I'm a film student so I wanted to see Ian Somerhalder's acting in a different role, I didn't expect to get sucked in and now I'm fiending for season 5 Expand
  9. Oct 10, 2013
    The Vampire Diaries is a very gritty, sexual, and dark show. It takes place in Mystic Falls, two brothers Damon and Stephen Salvatore move into town. Stephen is their to meet Catherines doppelganger Elena Gilbert, and Damon is just their to cause his brother trouble. As they get closer to Elena they both fall in love with her. As the end off the season nears the two vampire brothers mustThe Vampire Diaries is a very gritty, sexual, and dark show. It takes place in Mystic Falls, two brothers Damon and Stephen Salvatore move into town. Stephen is their to meet Catherines doppelganger Elena Gilbert, and Damon is just their to cause his brother trouble. As they get closer to Elena they both fall in love with her. As the end off the season nears the two vampire brothers must protect Elena and try to stop Catherine. This is an amazing show, the cast is great. Overall this is in my top 5 favorite shows. Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2013
    The Vampire Diaries will surprise you with its ruthlessness, unpredictable twists and gore. It is on the CW, the cast is quite young, and it obviously isn't on HBO like True Blood, however the Vampire Diaries is one of the only shows on air that will take its main characters and kill them. That says a lot about it. It's ruthless. They literally do things every episode that you NEVER sawThe Vampire Diaries will surprise you with its ruthlessness, unpredictable twists and gore. It is on the CW, the cast is quite young, and it obviously isn't on HBO like True Blood, however the Vampire Diaries is one of the only shows on air that will take its main characters and kill them. That says a lot about it. It's ruthless. They literally do things every episode that you NEVER saw coming because you didn't think a show even had the balls to do something like that. The Vampire Diaries is Sexy. It has a very attractive, well rounded cast. The lore is original and not cheesy. The show functions on a story-arc, not an episode to episode basis, and I would categorize it as possible the King of Supernatural Soap Operas. It is very Soapy, but unlike Soaps, it actually Kills off characters, and innocents, and everybody. The show loves death. If you've avoided it because you think it's Twilight on TV, you are so wrong. It's a legitimately Dark show. Sure its got its teenagers and its sex and its glam, but all that gore and violence is there, and it doesn't disappoint in either aspect. Give it a try, and I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  11. Oct 9, 2013
    Fifteen year old me loved season one of The Vampire Diaries. Four years on and I still love it. Give it a go, it is NOT a high school drama about vampires. It is more than that. Well written and the plot lines are great. It also has actors who can act, too.
  12. Oct 8, 2013
    The perfect vampire tv show! I got so tired of those mindless kill kill kill vampires. TVD is a real vampire tv show which has a solid storyline and epic twists in the plot. This show without doubt gets a solid 10 in my rating.
  13. Oct 5, 2013
    Why does everyone's face have a shadow? so annoying. turn on some spot lights in the studios! The main character has no talent...once her "looks" go...gd luck in another career! cancel this garbage already!
  14. Sep 1, 2013
    I watched 3 episodes of it and got sick of it real quickly. The cast was fine, No complaints about them, I actually rather liked the guy who plays Damon. What killed the show was that it was exactly like Twilight, It was almost like watching a TV series based off of it. It absolutely killed it for me. Not to mention the writing was just god awful, 3 episodes in and nothing has happened, ItI watched 3 episodes of it and got sick of it real quickly. The cast was fine, No complaints about them, I actually rather liked the guy who plays Damon. What killed the show was that it was exactly like Twilight, It was almost like watching a TV series based off of it. It absolutely killed it for me. Not to mention the writing was just god awful, 3 episodes in and nothing has happened, It was too uneventful in my opinion.

Overall, Wouldn't recommend it.
  15. Jul 30, 2013
    Best Tv Show Ever, you never know what's going to happen, and the fourth season was amazing i loved it, but the third season finale is the best season ending.
  16. Jul 15, 2013
    A vampire show for "girls" who want to have a fantasy threesome with the two model guys playing the "vampires". Vampires have never been this crappy before. I can not write much about the qualities of this soap-opera, because it has no qualities worth talking about. Badly written, badly acted, yet season 4 is being made. Good shows die every year, but this thing gets renewed. Well peopleA vampire show for "girls" who want to have a fantasy threesome with the two model guys playing the "vampires". Vampires have never been this crappy before. I can not write much about the qualities of this soap-opera, because it has no qualities worth talking about. Badly written, badly acted, yet season 4 is being made. Good shows die every year, but this thing gets renewed. Well people nowadays have incredibly low standards! This show somehow managed to make vampires look like a joke! Expand
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    Season 1 was a 7.8 out of 10. Season. 2 was a 8.7 out of 10. Season 3 was a 9.8 out of 10 and finally season 4 was a 6.2 out of 10. It was all going great up until season 4, don't get me wrong it's one of my favorites but unfortunately it got worse. Season 5 please don't disappoint.
  18. May 27, 2013
    never hated a show like I do this one. The only reason why it doesn't get a zero is because the storyline is good. The show is annoying because the acting is so bad but with a good storyline such that I keep on watching it just to see where the story goes. However, the more I watch the more annoyed I get, but I can't stop myself. This show is stupid, to put in simpler words.
  19. Apr 26, 2013
    I love vampire diaries It's my favourite show of all time i got addicted right on the first episode Its a very interesting show with a great story and it has the most exiting switches during sessons wich make people wanting to watch it more and more
  20. Apr 19, 2013
    I mean Im rating out of is it actually good not how unoriginal it is or stupid. The actors are believable especially Nina Dobrev. Vampire Diaries is basically Twilight but (Remember this is coming from a guy) BETTER. Its actually darker, better ead female, better lead males, more interesting storylines. But like Twilight the only thing that is powering it are teenage girls. Id recommend ifI mean Im rating out of is it actually good not how unoriginal it is or stupid. The actors are believable especially Nina Dobrev. Vampire Diaries is basically Twilight but (Remember this is coming from a guy) BETTER. Its actually darker, better ead female, better lead males, more interesting storylines. But like Twilight the only thing that is powering it are teenage girls. Id recommend if your a guy watch Teen Wolf and girls should watch Vampire Diaries. The show isnt very original, but is better then some others. Expand
  21. Jan 31, 2013
    Nearly two years since I first reviewed the Vampire Diaries and I still cant get enough. The characters have changed so much since the begining of the show and we also have a slew of new characters. This show is making all the right moves. Best of all though, the story is actually progressing and I like that in a TV show.
  22. Jan 29, 2013
    Season One was good. Likable lead, good-looking guys. A few cliches, but Ian Somerhalder's exceptional portrayal of Damon made up for that in my books. The bad guys were very bad, the good guys were very good; I hear that complaint from people who've only seen the first part of season one and I assure you, it doesn't stay that way at all. The plot twists are fresh and interesting and thereSeason One was good. Likable lead, good-looking guys. A few cliches, but Ian Somerhalder's exceptional portrayal of Damon made up for that in my books. The bad guys were very bad, the good guys were very good; I hear that complaint from people who've only seen the first part of season one and I assure you, it doesn't stay that way at all. The plot twists are fresh and interesting and there are always new and awesome characters joining the cast. I hated Twilight (I usually like hard-core violent, action and/or horror movies), but I loved Vampire Diaries. Apart from the fact that there are teens, mythological creatures and love triangles, the two have little in common. Vampire Diaries is so much more complex and compelling. Expand
  23. Nov 26, 2012
    The actress makes me sick, she is the most important and the most fake, in my opinion gets boring becouse of her, the other girls are nice but she.. ohhh gooosh, kill me pleeeease
  24. Jul 13, 2012
    Fantastic!! This show is definately NOT a twilight movie but something much much better. It has a great story plot with awesome actors and amazing characters. Showing life as teenagers then adding on a fantasy of great imagination and drama. There is unbelievable stunts that their characters pull off, bringing interest to the audience.
  25. Jul 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I want to start out by saying I love this show its extremely addicting because of the great actors on this show. i do have to say that the story line is kinda of lacking. the writers just cant seem to keep the story together they leave things out then explain them later on twitter or Facebook and that's not how they should do it. If it happens in the story it should be explained in the story unfortunately they don't always do that or if they do its way later when your like o thats how that worked. Its suppose to be about teenage girl in love with two vamps the girls suppose to be in school but there isn't a lot of school going on which also hinders the show. the reason i love this show is the steamy hotness and honestly if it wasn't for the actors i wouldn't probably watch it. the storyline is that broken on it. but as i said before i love the "show ha its more like the actors" the acting is excellent even though the storyline breaks the actors are still top notch. the shows writing starts great then just goes down they killed two many people off and didn't add enough to keep a good story. hope season four is better but like Ive said the characters are just too sexy to not watch they are addicting. Its like a wreck you just cant help but want to see what happens or happened. I will continue to watch especially to see Ian,Paul, nina and etc. the whole cast are great. Expand
  26. Jul 9, 2012
    Love the vampire diaries!!!!! My username says it all DAMON! This is my favorite show in the world. What I fear is the show will take a boring turn with Elena as a vampire...but in my opinion the plot is amazing the show is just Mmmmmm awesome...and Elenas compulsion is going to wear off!!!!! :)
  27. Jun 3, 2012
    Having read the series as a teen, I wasn't expecting much when the series premiered but after a couple of seasons the show has left behind the darkly saccharine pre-teen feel and developed into an intense and addicting "grown-up" series. This is now my #1 "can't miss" show by far and I can't wait for the next season.
  28. Apr 20, 2012
    This vampire story is amazing! My friend asked ----- well, forced me ----- to watch it. At first, I was quite hesitant because I thought this was another Twilight story. But, I was wrong, totally wrong. It was very different to all vampire stories I've ever known and I must say, this was the best. I loved the characters especially the three main characters. Each episode was breathtaking,This vampire story is amazing! My friend asked ----- well, forced me ----- to watch it. At first, I was quite hesitant because I thought this was another Twilight story. But, I was wrong, totally wrong. It was very different to all vampire stories I've ever known and I must say, this was the best. I loved the characters especially the three main characters. Each episode was breathtaking, nerve racking, full of tensions and twists. It never fails to surprise me. Expand
  29. Mar 24, 2012
    I just loved the show because it is very entertainng and it has alot of action which is why I love it! I really hope there is going to be another season!
  30. Feb 23, 2012
    La meilleure série sur les vampires =) ! Et je préfère la version originale que française. Les voix françaises ne vont pas sur les acteurs, ça les rend gamins alors qu'ils ne le sont pas. Mais c'est une série magnifique dont je ne peux plus me passer.
  31. Dec 30, 2011
    So yeah, the show probably isn't perfect. Elena's too perfect and caring and Stefan's a complete martyr if he's not a ripper and tearing people's heads off. But tbh, I really don't care, because the awesome script, plot lines, and (some) characters make up for it. Maybe the first few episodes aren't that great 'cause it's all about Stefan/Elena relationship (yawn) but it does get better.So yeah, the show probably isn't perfect. Elena's too perfect and caring and Stefan's a complete martyr if he's not a ripper and tearing people's heads off. But tbh, I really don't care, because the awesome script, plot lines, and (some) characters make up for it. Maybe the first few episodes aren't that great 'cause it's all about Stefan/Elena relationship (yawn) but it does get better. It takes a while to get into it, but once you do, well IMO, it is truly amazing. And yes, I have watched True Blood, and it's okay, but seriously, sometimes I just don't get the character decisions! Or the plot lines. But still.

Damon, Katherine (she's a *beep* but seriously great), Ric, Caroline and maybe even Klaus are my favourite characters. Supporter of Delena and Forwood
  32. Dec 29, 2011
    At first I thought the show sucked. Typical good vs bad with the innocent caught in between. After getting through season 1 it got more interesting and I continued to watch. Compelling story, unique twists, and enough suspense to make you want to watch the next episode. What more can you ask for.
  33. Dec 27, 2011
    I generally like vampire/werewolf shows and movies, and this one isn't bad at all, actually, it's quite good. A bit too "teeny" from time to time (for my taste) but good nevertheless.
  34. Dec 16, 2011
    This Show is simply amazing. It may not reach the high standard that 'BUFFY'' had. . As the plots may be simple the show it's self and the effects are done in such dept. Also the actors may not be oscar award winning but they do their characters justice, and you can see their chemistry together is projected to the screen. I will always adore this show.
  35. Nov 7, 2011
    the current season is my favorite so far. It's good to learn about the characters past, it creates depth and unveils mystery. I love the script though it can use a bit more humor. I think they should not kill off a lot of the main characters since it has the tendency to weaken and limit the story line.
  36. Oct 27, 2011
    Season 3, Episode 7
    Aired: October 27, 2011
    Ghost World

Mystic Falls is invaded by spirits of the dead during the town's Illumination Night, and Damon encounters an angry ghost with surprising power. Meanwhile, Elena persuades Jeremy to use his connection to the spirit world to help find Stefan.

Want to watch this episode visit http://url.az/vtee
  37. Oct 21, 2011
    This show is fun to watch, you just have to make sure that you turn the volume down. Things like plot, acting, writing, etc. seem to just get in the way.
  38. Oct 19, 2011
    My favorite show on TV, and I'm not a tweenager. Good looking guys, great cast, well-written - I can't wait to see the next episode. I own DVDs of season 1 and 2 and watch them between episodes. Keep up the good work! And by the way, I like the good Stephan and the bad Damon...
  39. Oct 7, 2011
    TV's best guilty secret. TVD never fails to please - love triangles, core characters constantly killed off, twists and turns a plenty. It's the sort of show that takes about 5 episodes to get hooked - but once you're there it's great. My workmate and I often find ourselves chatting about magical crystals; doppelgangers; our hatred of Caroline, our love of Caroline; Jeremy's transformationTV's best guilty secret. TVD never fails to please - love triangles, core characters constantly killed off, twists and turns a plenty. It's the sort of show that takes about 5 episodes to get hooked - but once you're there it's great. My workmate and I often find ourselves chatting about magical crystals; doppelgangers; our hatred of Caroline, our love of Caroline; Jeremy's transformation from stoner to hot piece; the Originals; and our new obsession, The Ripper. The conversations are totally embarrassing, but for me TVD is water cooler GOLD. Expand
  40. Sep 16, 2011
    The Vampire Diaries is not perfect, but what is? I grew so attached to all of the characters and found myself addicted to watching it non stop! What more can you ask for in a TV show?
  41. Jul 7, 2011
    I have fallen in love with this show. The casting is wonderful, and the story line is well written. It has quick dialogue (worthy of Joss Whedon's Buffy). I read some good reviews, watched the first episode and was hooked. It may be a "teenage" drama, but it doesn't play out like one. Give it a try - I'm sure you'll be hooked too.
  42. Jun 12, 2011
    Definitely got better as each episode came and went. The best thing about this show is that every episode is gripping and left open with a cliffhanger, and the fact that if you miss an episode, you are totally out of sync. I also like the differences the vampires hold in this show. Great start.
  43. nbc
    Jun 11, 2011
    The first season is good. It makes clear strides as it moves forward. The episode "Haunted" really turns everything around. It made it compelling and really hooked me. Season 2 is amazing, so stick with it.
  44. Jun 1, 2011
    Definitely love this show! You get so wrapped up in the characters and their lives that you feel sorry for them and cry with them and laugh with them. The love triangle is awesome because it was done 160+ years ago with Katerina. This show never disappoints me. Give the show a chance!
  45. May 16, 2011
    had i based my review solely on the characters then it would have been a 10/10,because ian somerhalder (daemon) was stunning and beautiful to watch. Paul wesley (stefan) was an eye candy and perfect. Nina dobrev (elena) was sublime and joy to watch,with strong backup from bonnie,alaric and other guest stars.but the plot just couldn't keep up with the sublime acting displayed by most of thehad i based my review solely on the characters then it would have been a 10/10,because ian somerhalder (daemon) was stunning and beautiful to watch. Paul wesley (stefan) was an eye candy and perfect. Nina dobrev (elena) was sublime and joy to watch,with strong backup from bonnie,alaric and other guest stars.but the plot just couldn't keep up with the sublime acting displayed by most of the characters.not saying the story was bad but it could have been better.i definitely enjoyed this show and well worth my time.without any doubt i know this show we get much better and can't wait to see the second season.once again great casting and great acting Expand
  46. May 12, 2011
    At times entertaining, though not quite amazing. The story is usually interesting and the actors are decent. Individuals who are interested in modern depictions of vampires will likely find it worthwhile.
  47. May 6, 2011
    This is the best TV show ever made on this whole earth.. Its score should be 10. Those who have rated less than 10 are fools.. It is just awsome.. There is no bigger fan dan me of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES in this whole world...
  48. Apr 23, 2011
    I have been watching this show religiously since is started. Personally, I have the Twilight series to completion and I honestly believe that this show is wholeheartedly on a different level. The plot is not only much more complex, but not so cliche if you do stick to it. Season 1 was great and season 2 will definitely not disappoint fans. You should definitely give it a try, IanI have been watching this show religiously since is started. Personally, I have the Twilight series to completion and I honestly believe that this show is wholeheartedly on a different level. The plot is not only much more complex, but not so cliche if you do stick to it. Season 1 was great and season 2 will definitely not disappoint fans. You should definitely give it a try, Ian Somerhalder's acting is great as well! I love this show, and I do not think it is just entertainment for "simple minded folk". Expand
  49. Apr 16, 2011
    This show is great, with the occasional cheesey part. I am not a fan of twilight so t. ook a chance watching this show thinking it would be like that series. I was wrong! The story lines at first are okay but the second season lives you on the edge of your seats! Actors and actresses are all really attractive and know how to act. I have watched my fair share of vampire shows (tru blood,This show is great, with the occasional cheesey part. I am not a fan of twilight so t. ook a chance watching this show thinking it would be like that series. I was wrong! The story lines at first are okay but the second season lives you on the edge of your seats! Actors and actresses are all really attractive and know how to act. I have watched my fair share of vampire shows (tru blood, buffy, angel,etc.) this one is one of the best. Expand
  50. Apr 15, 2011
    Probably one of my fave shows ever... awesome storyline... LOVE IT!! Cannotwaitforthenextepisode!!!! Hopefully, there will be a third season. :)) Excited for next week
  51. Mar 2, 2011
    This show is fantastic. Ian Somerhalder's acting is wonderful. Elena's character is dull and the story line seems trite at first, but the complexity of the characters is awesome. The viewer really feels a connection to the characters and often find themselves rooting for the good guys. I hope this show gets renewed for many seasons to come. At first, I was a devoted Buffy fan and thoughtThis show is fantastic. Ian Somerhalder's acting is wonderful. Elena's character is dull and the story line seems trite at first, but the complexity of the characters is awesome. The viewer really feels a connection to the characters and often find themselves rooting for the good guys. I hope this show gets renewed for many seasons to come. At first, I was a devoted Buffy fan and thought that all the vampire teen junk nowadays would never compare. However, after watching Vampire Diaries, I retract my statement. The show won me over. Buffy's story lines are incredible, but so can Vampire Diaries if we let it grow as much as we let Buffy grow. Expand
  52. Feb 11, 2011
    Not as bad as Twilight but still not that great either. The whole premise is too typical and unbelievable. Television vampire genre needs a Hellsing equivalent.
  53. Jan 24, 2011
    This show is addictive, When I first started watching it seemed ok, but unlike most TV shows, EVERY episode without fail seems to improve on the previous episode, lots of twists and turns, great performances from all the cast, It's gripping and the storylines are brilliant. It's also not just a show for the teenage audience, My mother loves it! I genuinely think this is my fave TV showThis show is addictive, When I first started watching it seemed ok, but unlike most TV shows, EVERY episode without fail seems to improve on the previous episode, lots of twists and turns, great performances from all the cast, It's gripping and the storylines are brilliant. It's also not just a show for the teenage audience, My mother loves it! I genuinely think this is my fave TV show ever already, it also helps that every member of the cast is absolutely beautiful. Love it! Expand
  54. Dec 7, 2010
    This show definitely has me hooked. The characters are divine and the love triangle is delicious.Episode after episode this show always keeps me entertained and leaves me wanting more.
  55. Nov 1, 2010
    It's a little to 'goodies' and 'badies' and the whole vampire goes for high school girl seems a little tragic, if not downright creepy. There's little subtle nuance but it's watchable.
  56. Oct 8, 2010
    This is a genuinely good show, espesh for us addicts who have the pleasure of knowing that we are mocked for loving it. The only major problem is that Elena is a terrible character. I spend most of my time watching hoping that she will be killed horribley, though I know it will never happen. This shows craps all over Twilight- there is ALOT of blood sucking and neck biting and theseThis is a genuinely good show, espesh for us addicts who have the pleasure of knowing that we are mocked for loving it. The only major problem is that Elena is a terrible character. I spend most of my time watching hoping that she will be killed horribley, though I know it will never happen. This shows craps all over Twilight- there is ALOT of blood sucking and neck biting and these vampires turn from human to beast in a way that we haven't seen commonly in other vamp flicks Expand
  57. Oct 6, 2010
    awesome show! I am so addicted to it :) It puts an entirely different perspective and approach to "vampires" and its really creative. The storyline is sooo good! i absolutely love it. I admit, at first I was skeptical about it, thinking it was just another twilight, but it proved me wrong :) I can watch it over and over again and never get sick of it. The cast is just great, I mean Ninaawesome show! I am so addicted to it :) It puts an entirely different perspective and approach to "vampires" and its really creative. The storyline is sooo good! i absolutely love it. I admit, at first I was skeptical about it, thinking it was just another twilight, but it proved me wrong :) I can watch it over and over again and never get sick of it. The cast is just great, I mean Nina Dobrev is just gorgeous.
    Needless to say Damon Salvatore/Ian Somerhalder is just the definition of hot.
  58. Sep 19, 2010
    This show is great. It was totally unexpected for me. I thought it might suck horribly. I like this season better than season 2. Season 2 is a little too much, yet it's still good.
  59. Sep 10, 2010
    best show i have ever seen. im a huge twilight fan and its so much better than twlight. honestly who cares if its different than the books! its so much more unpredictable then.. dont ya think? and if they cancel this show then im done with cw. my whole family watches the show. the characters are great, and this show is very addicting. they better not cancel it.
  60. Sep 9, 2010
    I think the show got mixed reviews because everybody though is a cliche, because of the whole Twilight-phenomenon. And yes the first part of the season was a bit.... undeveloped? But the second part proved that the show is much more that everybody though. Sure, the show has MUCH more potential as many CW shows but again the show proved to be fast-paced, steamy, scary, hot, passionate,I think the show got mixed reviews because everybody though is a cliche, because of the whole Twilight-phenomenon. And yes the first part of the season was a bit.... undeveloped? But the second part proved that the show is much more that everybody though. Sure, the show has MUCH more potential as many CW shows but again the show proved to be fast-paced, steamy, scary, hot, passionate, mysterious and of course has much better vampire/werewolf portrayal of any other vampire movie or show... Expand
  61. Aug 27, 2010
    THIS IS DEFINITELY MY FAVORITE SHOW. (can you tell by my display name? ;) much better than twilight. Damon is my favorite character. If you have any taste in shows AT ALL, you will like the vampire diaries. (: Alot of action, drama, and good story line. If you havent seen it before, go check it out! I promise you, you will like it. I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE SECOND SEASON AND FOR ______ TOTHIS IS DEFINITELY MY FAVORITE SHOW. (can you tell by my display name? ;) much better than twilight. Damon is my favorite character. If you have any taste in shows AT ALL, you will like the vampire diaries. (: Alot of action, drama, and good story line. If you havent seen it before, go check it out! I promise you, you will like it. I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE SECOND SEASON AND FOR ______ TO COME ON THE SHOW. (you know who i mean :) Expand
  62. Aug 25, 2010
    I absolutely love this show, even though I'm not a particular fan of vampires. I see here that it got a lot of bad reviews, but Being Human got a slew of good ones and I loathe that show, so it's all a matter of taste. Some of the acting might be improved on, and although Jeremy can be annoying none if it is groan-worthy. Ian Summerholder is wonderful as Damon, and I love the dark tone toI absolutely love this show, even though I'm not a particular fan of vampires. I see here that it got a lot of bad reviews, but Being Human got a slew of good ones and I loathe that show, so it's all a matter of taste. Some of the acting might be improved on, and although Jeremy can be annoying none if it is groan-worthy. Ian Summerholder is wonderful as Damon, and I love the dark tone to the show. I see the San Francisco Chronicle was not at all impressed with the scripts, but I'm not watching it in the interest of tearing it apart and don't watch much TV to compare it to, so I found every episode to be great. I like the fact that the vampires look like vampires and behave like vampires--they drink human blood, don't sparkle, can't be out in the sun without supernatural aid, die by staking, and actually have fangs. I also like how they are vulnerable to vervain, as it gives the humans a fighting chance. This is the first TV show where I'm really looking forward to the next season. Expand
  63. Aug 22, 2010
    My girlfriend watches it. And her friends watch it too. She also has the books. They discuss it. My girlfriend doesn't like to watch horror movies like The Ring, The Exorcist, 300 Days of Night etc because they are too scary. But she likes Sex in the City, Lipstick Jungle, Gossip Girl etc. 'Nuff said.
  64. Aug 15, 2010
    A strong mythology, a beautiful love story, and pretty good special effects along with solid writing are overshadowed by whiny soap opera-y acting, and a serial format that makes it harder for someone to watch the first episode and come back three weeks later. The best effort yet from the CW. Like Twilight? This sustains you until the next film is released.
  65. Aug 13, 2010
    This show is addicting! Better than Twilight. Can't wait for next season!
  66. IainC
    Feb 2, 2010
    Yet more, vampires are cool, sexy, mysterious & misunderstood, angst ridden garbage. Gets everything wrong that buffy got right. 2 episodes and not a single blood sucker's been staked yet.
  67. LaurenS.
    Jan 28, 2010
    The TV show is amazing! Admittedly, it doesn't stick closely to the books, but it uses the same characters and the same basic plot, and you don't need to worry about sparkling vampires (not that twilight is bad). Vampire diaries is easily likable and hooks you in. The actors cast, play the characters well, and are... hot.
  68. MashedPotatoes
    Jan 24, 2010
    This show is good, and addicting. I can't wait for more episodes to come out so I can watch what happens next. The biggest plus though is the acting. Everyone is soo good and believable. The storyline is good as well. Awesome!!
  69. HannahS
    Jan 21, 2010
    In all honesty, I think my love for the show might stem from how good looking the entire cast is. I haven't read the books so I can't compare the two series.
  70. NoahF
    Jan 19, 2010
    Great show. Way better than expected. Very deep script. Nothing immature or cheezy about this one.
  71. GioMT
    Jan 2, 2010
    I seriously thought that this wuld be a good show at first when it came out. But after seeing one of it's first episodes, it demosntrated clearly the hunger of plagiarizing another vampire hit, the Twilight Series. Doesnt it seem a little odd how after this series came out (Twilight), every other TV show had something relevant? Sue, the Diaries have some good touches to it, but most I seriously thought that this wuld be a good show at first when it came out. But after seeing one of it's first episodes, it demosntrated clearly the hunger of plagiarizing another vampire hit, the Twilight Series. Doesnt it seem a little odd how after this series came out (Twilight), every other TV show had something relevant? Sue, the Diaries have some good touches to it, but most touches are either copied or just not so well made. Expand
  72. P.I.Staker
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrible. Just terrible. Its True Blood's wanker cousin come to try and be just like its more famous, much more superior family member. Thank you for ruining the Vampire genre just as it was starting to rise from its ashes, Diaries. Failure.
  73. ChrisF.
    Dec 12, 2009
    I cannot believe so many people note this series so low. I truly believe that some people compare it to Twilight, which had more money, and others to True Blood, the vampire-porn series which had no money at all if we can analyze the poor acting provided in True Blood (a few nice actors excepted of course); I would say unequal. Anyway, to give it all: 1. Vampire Diaries has a plot that I cannot believe so many people note this series so low. I truly believe that some people compare it to Twilight, which had more money, and others to True Blood, the vampire-porn series which had no money at all if we can analyze the poor acting provided in True Blood (a few nice actors excepted of course); I would say unequal. Anyway, to give it all: 1. Vampire Diaries has a plot that seems to be guessed at first, then can surprise you and keep you hooked in episode after episode. Because you are tuned to its characters, you react just as they do. 2. It is acted perfectly. Damon is gorgeous and fascinating, Stefan is perfect though acted a bit slow, and all others keep a very perfect acting. 3. Ok, things are not like in the book. And I mean that as a quality. Vampire Diaries was written a long time ago (well, about fifteen years), and the TV series made me discover it and read it. Although I liked Vampire Diaries, it really needed modifications to be put into an interesting series, I mean, you need not to know what will happen one episode after the other, and the angel-thing from the books was a bit "much". So, things are here *better* than in the books, and it seems that not knowing the end keeps me in as well. Demonstrating that we know the real books isn't the point here. They have Americanized the story, but it also fits perfectly. Humour is even more present (thank you Damon !) and epic scenes as well. 4. Oh yes, we are far from True Blood porn. We have in Vampire Diaries romance, suspense, great acting and great actors. And I tell you, we also have more vampire mystery and nicer teeth ;-) It is indeed a TV series I can watch along with my wife, which is also a big plus. I can't understand why this series is so underrated. Hey people! fans of this series, please arm your keyboard and write out your opinion! can surprise you Actors play this well, so very well. At times Expand
  74. SomeoneYouDontKnow
    Dec 6, 2009
    This show is HOT! Very well done, very different. Unlike the usual lame vampire movies and such, this is MUCH more interesting.
  75. Amy
    Dec 5, 2009
    I enjoyed reading the books in school and the show is great for what it is- a teenage vampire soap opera. However, I think the main characters are more relatable and perhaps more mature than Twilight's.
  76. BD
    Nov 13, 2009
    The main romance smolders longingly. Wesley portrays the role with earnest integrity. Female lead is capable and extremely easy on the eyes. The Twilight bandwagon passed me by, and True Blood's... sensationalism is better in measured doses. V. pleased with this series.
  77. musi-musi
    Nov 10, 2009
    i love vampires and i absolutely dislike this show...been trying to give it a chance over and over but can't sit through it =( totally disappointed but atleast stephen's hot
  78. sakis
    Nov 9, 2009
    I was skeptical the first couple of episodes, was going to stop watching it, but the show started getting better and better every episode!! Now i look forward to watching it! The girl main actor gets much better, at first she's portrayed as an airhead but thank god they fixed that..
  79. Nicole
    Nov 6, 2009
    I have read the ORIGINAL Vampire Diaries Books by L.J. Smith and I am less than pleased with the series. For one, Elena is supposed to be a blonde, not a brunette. She never had a brother ever, her best friend Bonnie was a short irish red head and whatever happened to Meredith? The silent but true friend? Gone. Caroline was NEVER this close to any of the characters and in fact, Caroline I have read the ORIGINAL Vampire Diaries Books by L.J. Smith and I am less than pleased with the series. For one, Elena is supposed to be a blonde, not a brunette. She never had a brother ever, her best friend Bonnie was a short irish red head and whatever happened to Meredith? The silent but true friend? Gone. Caroline was NEVER this close to any of the characters and in fact, Caroline despises Elena. Damon never went out with Caroline, he never bit her. None of it. Vicky was never turned into a vampire. She was bitten but she was never turned. She never died in the books either. She just went crazy because of it. I don't know what the guy was thinking when he created this show but if you are going to do something that has to deal with a book, just do it from the book. Don't add stupid twists that don't exist. I don't care if you don't think it's interesting but at the very least stick to the character descriptions! Expand
  80. johncj
    Nov 6, 2009
    I hate to admit it, but this show is way better than it has any right to be. They actually found some decent actors, and they surprisingly avoid the worst cliches and cheesiness. Unlike Twilight, the main girl actually has some backbone and personality. A lot of people hating on this like True Blood. While the complex plot of True Blood is better, the acting is FAR WORSE than Vampire I hate to admit it, but this show is way better than it has any right to be. They actually found some decent actors, and they surprisingly avoid the worst cliches and cheesiness. Unlike Twilight, the main girl actually has some backbone and personality. A lot of people hating on this like True Blood. While the complex plot of True Blood is better, the acting is FAR WORSE than Vampire Diaries. Yeah, it's a teen vampire series, but so was Buffy, and Buffy was one of the best shows of its time if you could get past the silly name. Expand
  81. LauraD
    Oct 27, 2009
    I really enjoy The Vampire Diaries. I was a fan of the book series when I was a teenager in the early 90's, and I'm loving this show more each episode.
  82. ami
    Oct 20, 2009
    Vampire diaries stories were my one of my favourites. I like the series too.
  83. JeanL.
    Oct 18, 2009
    I love TVD! Its the best Vampire show on TV we've had for quite awhile. Great plot, great dialogues!
  84. ThorwaldS.
    Oct 18, 2009
    With the (re-)current overkill of vampire related books, films, and indeed TV shows, this one is certainly not the best. However, it is hardly as frustratingly tense as Twilight nor the overly sensuous ball of confusion that is True Blood. With some idea of historical back story, there is just enough plot to not be completely zombified. And the chemistry between Wesley and Dobrev does not With the (re-)current overkill of vampire related books, films, and indeed TV shows, this one is certainly not the best. However, it is hardly as frustratingly tense as Twilight nor the overly sensuous ball of confusion that is True Blood. With some idea of historical back story, there is just enough plot to not be completely zombified. And the chemistry between Wesley and Dobrev does not go unnoticed either. Expand
  85. Stig
    Oct 16, 2009
    Teenage angst with fangs. Absolute garbage.
  86. WillowD
    Oct 10, 2009
    First of all, let me start out by reminding everyone that The Vampire Diaries novels came long before the Twilight series. Like, a decade before (I was totally into them when I was 14 or so). And, as an added bonus, they are immeasurably better than the appalling insipid garbage that is Twilight. The Vampire Diaries show wasn't the best thing I've ever seen, but it certainly First of all, let me start out by reminding everyone that The Vampire Diaries novels came long before the Twilight series. Like, a decade before (I was totally into them when I was 14 or so). And, as an added bonus, they are immeasurably better than the appalling insipid garbage that is Twilight. The Vampire Diaries show wasn't the best thing I've ever seen, but it certainly wasn't horrible. Expand
  87. JhonnC
    Oct 9, 2009
    So boring, i saw 2 episodes and was enought to sleep all nigth. The characters, one good guy, another bad guy, a girl... please... Twilight tv show version? even the performance it's too close to Twilight main character. not recommended.
  88. JeffR
    Oct 4, 2009
    A bunch of 30 somethings acting like high school kids. I hate when writers and producers muck things up with TV Shows.
  89. MariaU.
    Sep 29, 2009
    The acting was OK. Nothing new for me, prettty boring actually. I was not impressed at all. The pilot might have got 4 million viewers,but I do not see the show lasting long. Just my opinion.
  90. JoeH
    Sep 22, 2009
    So much potential. So boring.
  91. SeanM
    Sep 18, 2009
    I'm definitely not in the target demo, but this is a pretty good show. young girls are gonna eat it up.
  92. Maeve
    Sep 17, 2009
    Unoriginal...Cliches all around. Very surprised at Kevin Williamson. Not his best work. The acting was lame. Can't wait until Flashforward comes on next week...I think 2 episodes of this was enough for me. I will wait til True Blood comes back to get my love of vampires fix!
  93. Mel
    Sep 17, 2009
    Lacks acting. I felt like I was watching Buffy without the Slayer...or Dawson's Creek. Can we get some creativity please?
  94. CynthiaL
    Sep 16, 2009
    Vampire Diaries has some bad acting, corney fog effects, and generic model looks. But the characters are a bit more interesting than other CW teen offerings, and of course, there were vampires. The Lost guy is much much more attractive evil, and the lead female is endearing. Its not the Whedonverse or True Blood, but it has potential. We shall see.
  95. ShayS
    Sep 16, 2009
    The show is good, the acting is okay, but the hole vampire theme is geting pretty sick. But i think the audince liked it, i mean the Teen- Drama Hit Series "Gossip Girl" got only 2.6 million viewers in each season, and this show got 4 million viewers.
  96. Nellius
    Sep 15, 2009
    From the pilot, this looks like a decent show, but is doomed to fail simply because it's not nearly as good as True Blood. When I heard about it, the first thing that went through my head was "oh no, not another vampire show". And that's still the only thing going through my head after seeing the pilot. Hopefully the series will pick up and it'll be more than simply a poor From the pilot, this looks like a decent show, but is doomed to fail simply because it's not nearly as good as True Blood. When I heard about it, the first thing that went through my head was "oh no, not another vampire show". And that's still the only thing going through my head after seeing the pilot. Hopefully the series will pick up and it'll be more than simply a poor man's True Blood. Expand
  97. narm
    Sep 15, 2009
    Well, if the Kansas City Star says it's rubbish then it has to be, right?
  98. CaitlinS
    Sep 14, 2009
    I loved the pilot, it was really intriguing and I hope the rest of the series can live up to the standard. But the again I'm biased being a huge LJ Smith fan and Twilight hater. What people who give it bad reviews are not understanding is that Vampire diaries pretty much was the original and best teenage vampire love story. This craze may have been set off by stephenie meyer but LJ I loved the pilot, it was really intriguing and I hope the rest of the series can live up to the standard. But the again I'm biased being a huge LJ Smith fan and Twilight hater. What people who give it bad reviews are not understanding is that Vampire diaries pretty much was the original and best teenage vampire love story. This craze may have been set off by stephenie meyer but LJ Smith started it first. Don't listen to people who give it bad reviews, I know I have good taste and I don't like the other cheesy vampire soaps or high school musical and twilight crap but this one truly has promise and difference. And I might add a lot of them have seen it and hated it then come on here with the intention of slagging it off, most people I know enjoyed it. The one critiscm I have (apart from the veering off the original storyline which I'm not sure of yet) is the voice over diary. I mean, with Elena it's fine but Stefan I'm not so sure. But I can promise you the 9/10 is not an exaggeration from my part, the pilot truly deserved it. I can't wait to watch the next one! Expand
  99. BrendanD
    Sep 14, 2009
    Yeesh. This is just... awful. The vampire thing has been pretty played out. I really don't understand why Kevin Williamson decided to make a show like this -- especially when it's so vastly inferior to the other vamp-soap on TV, "True Blood." I mean, this is going to be an epic teen soap opera, right? Fine, but the reason why a certain segment went for something like Yeesh. This is just... awful. The vampire thing has been pretty played out. I really don't understand why Kevin Williamson decided to make a show like this -- especially when it's so vastly inferior to the other vamp-soap on TV, "True Blood." I mean, this is going to be an epic teen soap opera, right? Fine, but the reason why a certain segment went for something like "Dawson's Creek" was because there was humor and relatively (and I stress RELATIVELY) good acting. This has neither. What it DOES have is Ian Somerhalder in a completely wasted role. This essentially seems like what would happen if "Twilight" and "High School Musical" had a (non-musical) kid. Appallingly bad. Expand
  100. Joe
    Sep 13, 2009
    A hint: if you want a good vampire show, watch True Blood. If you want a BRILLIANT vampire show, watch "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or "Angel." It's crap like The Vampire Diaries that give supernatural shows a bad name. CW, you are a worthless station.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Diaries promises us a season of sharp-tongued amusement.
  2. You will want all the extras who played vamps on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (which was great, by the way, and not to be blamed for this lackluster cousin) to return en masse to eat the cast of "Vampire Diaries," plus any remaining scripts.
    Pretty, sensible teenage vampires who talk like depressed extras on "Hannah Montana"? Why, Diary? Why?