• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 26, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
7.5

1. May 24, 2011
    Whoa, look at all the 10s! I'm happy to be be "the voice" of reas--, uh, dissent among the viewers, as I don't see "The Voice" as much of an advance on earlier televised singing competitions. For one thing, the show still limits performances to about 40 seconds, allowing no time to build a song's emotional intensity. Singers have to burst into full-throated histrionics by the second bar,Whoa, look at all the 10s! I'm happy to be be "the voice" of reas--, uh, dissent among the viewers, as I don't see "The Voice" as much of an advance on earlier televised singing competitions. For one thing, the show still limits performances to about 40 seconds, allowing no time to build a song's emotional intensity. Singers have to burst into full-throated histrionics by the second bar, then keep the pedal to the metal, hitting as many extra notes as possible in the time remaining, including some really high ones. The show's main gimmick is that its 4 celebrity "coaches" choose singers without first seeing them, which--surprise, surprise--seems to help mainly the pretty ones, who can now tell themselves that talent alone is responsible for their success, despite the fact that the "coaches" face the audience, which CAN see the singers. The coaches vary a lot in appeal. Musically, none is really my cup of tea, but I find Cee Lo Green and Adam Levine quite likeable--and (mostly) discerning. Christina Aguilera is, no surprise, the spokesperson for what pains me to call Soul, demanding to be "moved" and "transported," but picking over-the-top screechers. And I'll bet anyone a thousand dollars that someone has devised a drinking game in which shots are downed every time she sticks both arms up in the air and wiggles. Two thousand says no player has lasted past the fourth commercial break, even the raging alcoholics. Blake Shelton plays the laconic country dude to the point of caricature, though he makes an interesting musical choice from time to time. Overall, though, the show feels incoherent. The "coaches" are soon going to become standard executioners--and a couple seem already to be stacking their teams accordingly. The singers perform in front of a massive forearm topped with a fist holding a microphone while raising two fingers in a "V" (for "voice," "victory," or peace, I could not say). Everything about the giant arm makes my brain hurt, not least that it looks like the base of the "hands of victory" (a/k/a "forearm of Saddam") monument in Baghdad. And the singers look like praying mantises dancing in front of it. Carson Daly is a pain in another organ entirely, and why anyone thought it'd be a good idea to have him running around asking "how do you feel?" and begging to join the interracial families is beyond me. Get rid of him, and give the singers another 15 or 20 seconds to warble! Better yet, make shows that focus more on music than on gimmicks.â Expand
  2. May 1, 2011
    Generally I'm not a big fan of talent based reality shows, but the concept for The Voice seemed interesting to me. Four judges sit facing away from potential finalists, judging them entirley on their vocal talent. Unfortionatly, after watching the an episode I was greatly disappointed. Other then the fact that it plays out like a cookie cutter reality show, my main problem was theGenerally I'm not a big fan of talent based reality shows, but the concept for The Voice seemed interesting to me. Four judges sit facing away from potential finalists, judging them entirley on their vocal talent. Unfortionatly, after watching the an episode I was greatly disappointed. Other then the fact that it plays out like a cookie cutter reality show, my main problem was the contestants. All the contestants are generally TV friendly in appearance. I was expecting exploitation of the blind judge factor, but no, it is basically pointless. Another wasted concept, another one season, forgettable reality show. Expand
  3. Jun 7, 2011
    1st Of All I Have To Say This Review Will NOT Be Positive... I Hate Christina.. But As A Critic I Have To Score The Show Itself.. Not The Person.. I'll Be Honest.. This Show Just Seems Like "Just Another Reality Show" There Is Nothing Special About It... However I Do Like The Style & Layout Of The Show...
  4. Dec 11, 2011
    Aside from a few high points, The Voice had a bad format, terrible judging, and painfully mediocre talent. A poor man's American Idol/X Factor. An absolure chore to watch at times.
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    I love this show!!!! I have been watching it for ever really like Blake and Christina and Adam celo is ok. It has been a great season so far everyone was amazing.

1. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    May 4, 2011
    The Voice is not that bad.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 3, 2011
    Visually, it makes for odd television. Odder still is that the coaches compete too....The good news? The caliber of voices is high--better than American Idol. [16 May 2011, p.43]
  3. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    May 2, 2011
    While you're left to wonder why these four stars need a reality show, or why the contestants never truly made it in the first place, "The Voice" should remain a solid performer for NBC--which it so very badly needs.